BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

These sort of comments don't help. The suggstion that our issues cannot be rectified quickly with a plan and joined up decision making. They can. The suggestion that things are ok and don't need changing quickly, whereas the trajectory of the club over the last 6-12 months on and off the pitch sets alarm bells ringing and tells me there needs to be urgent change.

Magic wand solutions? Remove Waggott and Mowbray - neither of which have done well enough at their jobs, neither of which if we are being truthful should have been here in the first place, both of which have squandered millions and the last 2 seasons going nowhere.

On Waggott's watch income has declined along with attendances and by the sounds of things morale behind the scenes is at an all time low.

Replace them with a conventional structure with competent staff. A CEO or Chairman appointed on merit rather than the recommendation of the manager. A CEO or Chairman empowered to recruit and fire managers and coaching staff based on results and performance who can recruit based on suitability for the club and performance rather than who is cheapest/most desperate or has a popular agent representing him.

A CEO or Chairman given a budget in good time to plan and prepare and work with the manager on recruitment.

A CEO or Chairman judged not just on how many pounds he can save the owners but on growing, nurturing and progressing the club on and off the pitch - increasing attendances, improving the atmosphere and image around the club.

A CEO or Chairman who understands supporters, listens to and has the ability to act on concerns rather than lying through his teeth and refusing refunds of hard earned cash. Maybe even responds when people write in with concerns (too much to ask?)

There we go - 5 minutes on here and I've performed 'magic'.

“These sort of comments don’t help”… who? The club? Your opinion?

Lets just start with the first bit about sacking people - you’ve a list of prerequisites for their replacement but you have no names? Equally you mention two years wasted / money up the wall.. does that mean TM and SW should’ve been sacked after finishing 2nd in league 1 then 15th in the champ? Hardly reasonable is it? Maybe in hindsight?

In terms of CEO recommendation from the manager, surely that’s irrelevant? Surely we should sticking to the “poor results” argument (in terms of commercial) with Waggott, because simply firing him because of his previous employment makes no sense?

You’re experience and view of the current setup is fair enough, I actually would love someone like John Williams - but John Williams made his name in the job.

Equally I’d love a top down tooth and nail approach but you won’t even accept that this is hindered by our “freytening” levels of turnover to expenditure, won’t accept FFP impacts this, won’t accept Covid impact… it’s all excuses to you.

Would you seriously advocate spending millions on sacking managers / CEOs when we can’t even afford free transfers? What benefit would that bring and what top manager / CEO combination are you bringing in (who seemingly is already a Blackburn fan and knows the club inside out) for free, on the basis they’ll have nowt to spend?

There are surely areas we can discuss the club / team - without constantly harping on about how our current setup doesn’t match our expectations.

We didn’t even have a chairman based in the UK for 6 years prior to SW… and the initial people the owners trusted with that a shadow of that role…. Feckin Derek Shaw.

Sounds like there is minimal chance of any replacements for Armstrong or new deals for all of the others whose contract is running down. That is nothing to do with saving money because allowing assets to run their contracts down is not financially wise. Those bastards in India just dont give a shit.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

IF Armstrong goes then whoever comes in as a replacement, under no circumstances whatsoever should it be a loan imo. The money will just get swallowed up and he'll never be properly replaced.

Do you want Mowbray spending it?

I'm fairly sure he won't be here after this season.Id rather we kept our money until the following summer.

IL be satisfied staying up next year even if by just a point.But we can't give Mowbray the funds to leave us with more ageing players who a new manager will struggle to get rid of.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I once out of contract Mowbray will be gone as will Venus and Waggott

8 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

For absolute clarity, the vast majority of the club debt is owed interest-free to Venky group companies, so the act of writing it off would purely be window-dressing and would have no material impact on the P&L (& by extension FFP).

Be a hell of a sign for “taking responsibility” towards the club though?

17 hours ago, JoeH said:

One or two on Twitter completely adamant that Crystal Palace have done a deal for Armstrong. Who knows, but the bidding war and agents talk is all good for us.

You seem determined for us to bank a few million and for us to go down this season.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sounds like there is minimal chance of any replacements for Armstrong or new deals for all of the others whose contract is running down. That is nothing to do with saving money because allowing assets to run their contracts down is not financially wise. Those bastards in India just dont give a shit.

It's not worth risking Armstrong on Saturday, but unless he's playing silly buggers, Mowbray is suggesting he might. 

He won't give his all anyway, no matter what Mowbray or the club have done for him and that's even without the unthinkable and him getting injured. In fact players not giving 100% is a sure fire way to get injured. 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

This Palace link worries me. At least Southampton and Norwich were apparently offering players. We get a big fee only and that will probably just disappear, or we spend like £2 million max. Obafemi or Idah would be far better imo. 

This is my main concern.

If he goes to Palace, we'll get no player, just cash that dissappears into the Venky black hole.

There won't be a replacement and our season will be an even bigger struggle than it already was.

As it stands, assuming AA leaves for Palace, we are in very real trouble of being relegated.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Makea no sense. Why would you let their contracts run down and let them go for free? Given we will get compensation for Nayambe when he leaves but rothwell and all the others we will get nothing...make it make sense?

56 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Sadly I doubt we would see much added to the kitty even from 8m. It all has the vibe of the taps have been turned off and attempting to avoid an embargo next year (which, I mean, if you can't spent anything anyway, you almost may as well be in an embargo?).

Doubt it helps that Mowbray rushes him back as soon as possible every time, even when we had perfectly fine alternatives.

Indeed ,that's why I would much prefer a player in a swap too. All cash is ideal for the owners and bad for us. Looks to be going that way though. Anyway, I mean jesus Mowbray doesn't even know. At a functional club him and the head of recruitment would know we are getting even say £3 million and work on the deal to replace him would be taking place now. At a club who cared they would have someone lined up and be like "Armstrong's gone, but we have this guy". Not here though. 

I don't know if we can blame Mowbray for this one. He looks to be made of glass. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You seem determined for us to bank a few million and for us to go down this season.

I think it's a baffling strategy to let a player go for nothing. We need to sell while he has a high value. We can stay up without him.

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

This is my main concern.

If he goes to Palace, we'll get no player, just cash that dissappears into the Venky black hole.

There won't be a replacement and our season will be an even bigger struggle than it already was.

As it stands, assuming AA leaves for Palace, we are in very real trouble of being relegated.

Maybe the money will be used to get others signed up to new deals .

It's a terrible situation, but there is absolutely no guarantee that Armstrong will be as prolific next season.In the short term we are obviously a way worse off without Armstrong but I really do not see how we can let him go for nothing in 12 months time when the books are telling us we need substantial cash brought in 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The bit at the end about the owners is rubbish imo.

It's down to Waggott and Mowbray to identify our key assets and prioritise them accordingly and advise the owners what needs to be done as regards keeping them under contract.

It's also down to them to manage the budget in such a way as to not fall foul of FFP,  to trade around the periphery of the squad and not keep handing out ridiculous contracts to the likes of Downing, Graham, Bennett, Evans and not keep spanking dead money away on loan fees.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JBiz said:

“These sort of comments don’t help”… who? The club? Your opinion?

Lets just start with the first bit about sacking people - you’ve a list of prerequisites for their replacement but you have no names? Equally you mention two years wasted / money up the wall.. does that mean TM and SW should’ve been sacked after finishing 2nd in league 1 then 15th in the champ? Hardly reasonable is it? Maybe in hindsight?

In terms of CEO recommendation from the manager, surely that’s irrelevant? Surely we should sticking to the “poor results” argument (in terms of commercial) with Waggott, because simply firing him because of his previous employment makes no sense?

You’re experience and view of the current setup is fair enough, I actually would love someone like John Williams - but John Williams made his name in the job.

Equally I’d love a top down tooth and nail approach but you won’t even accept that this is hindered by our “freytening” levels of turnover to expenditure, won’t accept FFP impacts this, won’t accept Covid impact… it’s all excuses to you.

Would you seriously advocate spending millions on sacking managers / CEOs when we can’t even afford free transfers? What benefit would that bring and what top manager / CEO combination are you bringing in (who seemingly is already a Blackburn fan and knows the club inside out) for free, on the basis they’ll have nowt to spend?

There are surely areas we can discuss the club / team - without constantly harping on about how our current setup doesn’t match our expectations.

We didn’t even have a chairman based in the UK for 6 years prior to SW… and the initial people the owners trusted with that a shadow of that role…. Feckin Derek Shaw.

Deary me.

I have had plenty of suggestions for replacements for Mowbray, most of which have been snapped up by rival clubs. You are welcome to go back and trawl through my posts if you want to see who but there's little point in me repeating them now they are employed at better clubs and Mowbray is clearly unsackable.

I'd say there was little evidence to suggest either Mowbray or Waggott were competent enough to get this club back to the PL. He deserved a shot after League One, but by mid 2019/20 season it was clear we were going nowhere and a club with serious ambition and management monitoring performances and results would have taken pre-emptive action before the sh!t hit the fan and we wasted more time and money.

I'm not interested in what is deemed 'reasonable' this club is more important and bigger than Mowbray and his feelings/opinion. If an improvement in management was seen as beneficial it should have happened. Sadly we've a reactive setup here who allow problems to build and unfold and then it is too late to do anything about it. Armstrong is the latest one, Coyle's season another.

If you think it is 'irrelevant' that the first team manager appointed or at least recommended the CEO then we can't take this much further. It isn't irrelevant, it isn't normal, it isn't healthy and it isn't acceptable and it is a major, major issue in the dysfunctional setup of this club. A CEO should be able to change or at least recommend a change in manager. That isn't ever going to happen when the CEO got his job thanks to the manager.

I think I agree with you - chumps like Derek Shaw and Waggott aren't fit to be running a club of this size and stature - you asked for a solution and I gave you one - stop employing these sort of people and get better in. It doesn't have to be a Blackburn fan at all. I don't believe that there are unique conditions here - football fans are similar wherever - they just want treating with respect something in short supply here.

Again I don't accept that FFP is a reason not to fire a manager who is failing. That is nonsense. Sheffield Wednesday sacked 2 managers last season whilst under FFP trouble, as did Birmingham and Derby.

Results come first and if they aren't good enough a change is made. It's the way it has always been.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Be a hell of a sign for “taking responsibility” towards the club though?

Not really, it’s purely window-dressing; they’ve already put the money in, that’s the evidence that pays the bills. If they started charging interest on it then I’d be concerned. 

Whether the cash has gone into the club as loans or share capital, realistically, they are never going to see it again unless we somehow qualify for the Champions League 5 years in a row…🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Maybe the money will be used to get others signed up to new deals .

It's a terrible situation, but there is absolutely no guarantee that Armstrong will be as prolific next season.In the short term we are obviously a way worse off without Armstrong but I really do not see how we can let him go for nothing in 12 months time when the books are telling us we need substantial cash brought in 

I agree but some of the money absolutely has to be reinvested in the squad.

We have 1 fit senior centre back and only Gallagher and BB upfront, who won't score as many as AA did between them.

The money is likely to fall into a black hole and we'll be just chucking some U23 players in. 

• Like 1

Crystal Palace, Watford, Norwich or Southampton...... what a choice. For supporters of a certain age they're just rubbish third division southern clubs that we used to look down on in disdain.

I feel sorry for Armstrong. 

• Like 9