BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

I'll use Ryan Nyambe as an example. There are hundreds of video clips across an array of categories for players in all positions. As you can see, things like Covering Depth, 1vs1 Defence & Off The Ball Movements absolutely encapsulates and covers all of the areas that sceptics claim that video clips don't.

1087405534_Screenshot2021-04-17at17_06_55.thumb.png.f72a06af343aba5f10f30987cfe3c0fa.png

On 16/04/2021 at 20:20, JoeH said:

It does though. These things are shown.

Does it factor in the opposition? Say for Nyambe, he may do well up against slower opponents, but then he may come up against a slower /older player, who has more experience and hence can get the better of him in certain situations? Are those nuances noted? 

If not, that's the part where a manager or scout with a canny eye can do something no program can. The nuance of human interaction. 

17 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Assombalonga Is released by Middlesbrough. Mowbray will sell Armstrong for £30m and get is replacement for nowt. Venky pockets will be filled, and Mowbray will get a pat on the back.

Who on earth is paying £30m for Armstrong? And that's coming from someone who has stuck up for him numerous times on this board. Out of contract next season and massively out of form, we'll be lucky if someone stumps up £15m for him

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Could do worse on a free! 

I work with a Boro season ticket holder (he's of an older generation) and he isn't a fan of Assombalonga, to put it politely

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19249877.former-rovers-transfer-target-assombalonga-leaves-middlesbrough/

Sounds like both him and Fletcher already have a club lined up. Won't be us

Edited by davulsukur

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

that's the part where a manager or scout with a canny eye can do something no program can. The nuance of human interaction. 

I don't think anyone advocates for removing scouting... I have my scouting qualifications. Data has a role to play and I don't think that anyone suggests it should be used on its own.

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It is used on its own though. To make certain points or cases? I agree incorrectly 

Let me clarify. My point was that data is great for certain things, and has a use and a role. Nobody has ever claimed that it should be used solely for recruitment with no scouting.

I think there are certain points when talking about player performance on certain things where data can be used on its own to back up a point. 

“Player X passed well today - as seen his 90% Forward Pass Accuracy rate”. For example. If a player averages a 90% forward pass accuracy across a whole season, I don’t personally need somebody to watch that player for 90 minutes and say “he’s a good passer”. I think there’s quite a few instances where you can use data on its own.

But as I said; certainly not always, certainly not with particular measurable abilities and definitely not as your own recruitment tool.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Let me clarify. My point was that data is great for certain things, and has a use and a role. Nobody has ever claimed that it should be used solely for recruitment with no scouting.

I think there are certain points when talking about player performance on certain things where data can be used on its own to back up a point. 

Player X passed well today - as seen his 90% Forward Pass Accuracy rate”. For example. If a player averages a 90% forward pass accuracy across a whole season, I don’t personally need somebody to watch that player for 90 minutes and say “he’s a good passer”. I think there’s quite a few instances where you can use data on its own.

But as I said; certainly not always, certainly not with particular measurable abilities and definitely not as your own recruitment tool.

You don't know what type of passes they were though. A 90% forward pass accuracy could be attributed to an attacking version of Corry Evans, couldn't it? 

It strikes me as something someone like Mowbray would overly rely on. You could use stats to say Brereton is a great offensive runner, but dig deeper and most are toothless. 

I'm not against it, but give me a manager with an eye for a player that fits into his system any day ahead of it. If you watch a player enough, you don't need stats to tell you anything and in many cases, it just misleads and can actually give a false impression if presented in certain ways. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Data can often be used to try and prove an opinion, so most of the time there is bias in its usage. Conversely, an argument can also be repeated purely to try and justify the data by those inclined to big it up in the first place, case in point below, our data seemingly is far better than our league position, whereby any of us who have watched each game will know that the data is a load of bollocks in this instance and we havent deserved to be any higher.

Screenshot_20210422-160740_Twitter.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnGo said:

Spoke to a coach at Rovers she works with the lady’s team. Assombalonga has been shown around STC. It could happen

Warnock says he already has a club lined up. It takes Venkys an ice age to make a move for a player, someone's been on the ball to get this deal done, it won't be us.

He'll also be on a considerable wedge. 

Can't see it happening.

1 hour ago, JohnGo said:

Spoke to a coach at Rovers she works with the lady’s team. Assombalonga has been shown around STC. It could happen

Maybe he's retiring from football and going into housing development, Mowbray was showing him around to get him on board with that scheme.

Probably more likely than us signing a player this early.

• Like 2

How does Assombalonga fit Mowbrays systems anyway ?

He won't even play the big forward he paid 5 million for up top unless he's desperate for bods.

Just for that alone i wouldn't be surprised if they do something stupid and throw the potential Armstrong money at him. Some nice skimming to be done there no doubt.

• Like 1

Problem here is Mowbray.  He doesn’t know what he wants.  Buys 2 big forwards and plays them out of position.  Everyone and his dog knows we need strengthening in defence but no we rely on loans.  Buys a winger, then refuses to play him.  Brings in a second choice keeper simply because he is a mate who would have been out of work otherwise, and we didn’t need him anyway.

Before any transfer activity, Mowbray needs to be replaced.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Warnock says he already has a club lined up. It takes Venkys an ice age to make a move for a player, someone's been on the ball to get this deal done, it won't be us.

He'll also be on a considerable wedge. 

Can't see it happening.

It's normally true with Venky's. However, for some reason these signings from Boro or with Boro connections seem to get done quicker than normal. I wonder why that is...

I think this one could happen. We're desperate for a forward. Armstrong is likely to be off. We're clearing a few off the wage bill in the summer, Downing probably being one of them. I can see some of those wages being put towards Assombalonga.

How he fits into this Bayern Munich style of football we play, I don't know, but I'd take him on a free as long as the wages aren't crazy.

4 hours ago, JohnGo said:

Fits the bill. Ex Middlesbrough, can still live on Teeside and join the car share club from Yarm.

I feel a three year deal coming.

• Like 8