BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, nobody runs down their contracts in your view..?...🤷‍♂️ absolute garbage. Loads of high profile examples of players running their deal down for a bigger chunk of money in the long run.

Give them so 

The only thing we have in our favour is many teams are interested and they deal will be done 

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Id keep him for the season let him go free. If I thought they'd reinvest the money fine, but they won't.

100%.

If the offer is only in the order of £12m and we would only get about £8m, absolute no brainer for me, keep him.

• Like 2

If the club was competently managed then the wages squandered on contracts to Ayala, Downing, Smallwood, Samuel, Graham, Hart and Leutwiler last summer would instead have been diverted into giving Armstrong a pay rise and new long term deal.

At that stage he was some way off a PL move but had shown clear signs of his capabilities and wouldn't have had a better offer than that. We could have secured him until 2024 or 2025. 

We would now be able to relax and demand minimum £20 million knowing that we'd have plenty of future opportunities to sell if nobody paid the asking price.

There was zero suggestion of any attempt to sign him up to a new deal. Mowbray prioritised wasting money on deals for players he had no intention of using and who were of no financial value.

Result? Probably at least 10 million off Armstrong's sale price. Next news is they moan about struggling under FFP requirements. I wonder why when missing out on that sort of cash?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

100%.

If the offer is only in the order of £12m and we would only get about £8m, absolute no brainer for me, keep him.

Agree. The cost of relegation exceeds that and isn't worth taking the risk.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Who's got more money than Palace, Southampton or Norwich who might be interested in Armstrong?

Certainly not Brighton or West Brom, who've been mentioned

West Ham I'm sure are watching the Armstrong situation and might go higher if they fail with their other targets, but that might be just wishful thinking

The bar has been set at £12m by Palace and with the type of lower Prem club looking at him and in the unlikely event of a bidding war I can't see any reason why it should go much higher.

Brighton sold White for 50 million and are in the Market for a striker.I never thought we would get 20 but I think we can squeeze 15 out of someone

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Brighton sold White for 50 million and are in the Market for a striker.I never thought we would get 20 but I think we can squeeze 15 out of someone

We need a quality player to come in and replace him as part of the deal or lined up. Otherwise keep him.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

They might have bid from earlier in the window but with signing a striker for 8 million from Werder Bremen and in talks to sign a 10 million attacker from Greece I doubt they are still in the race for Armstrong

Who knows. He is  still reporting the offer and said its on the CEO desk from Norwich. 

43 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Who's got more money than Palace, Southampton or Norwich who might be interested in Armstrong?

Certainly not Brighton or West Brom, who've been mentioned

West Ham I'm sure are watching the Armstrong situation and might go higher if they fail with their other targets, but that might be just wishful thinking

The bar has been set at £12m by Palace and with the type of lower Prem club looking at him and in the unlikely event of a bidding war I can't see any reason why it should go much higher.

Brighton have just received 50 million pounds for the sale of Ben White so they have the money. Plus last season they biggest problem was goals. 

Being reported by Dan Sheldon(The Athletic Southampton Reporter) that Southampton have table a take it or leave it new transfer bid for Armstrong. Don't know what the new transfer bid is yet. 

I can see Palace going to 15 million pounds plus few add ons but will Southampton match that. Surely they have to since he would fit the way of playing and system used by Hasenhuttl there. 

I suspect with several clubs interested the club feel they can hold out for an extra £million or so, especially if some of those teams have a bad opening result.

If absolute cash is an issue perhaps there will be various clauses: games, England call up, staying in PL, sell on % etc.

It is clear he is ready to leave for a PL club, so let’s hope the deal is reasonable.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, nobody runs down their contracts in your view..?...🤷‍♂️ absolute garbage. Loads of high profile examples of players running their deal down for a bigger chunk of money in the long run.

Double his wages, add in a 25m release clause, ask him for 3 years.  Provided no one stumps up the required amount this window and highlight Dack

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Gigi

That's your example? 🤣

Yes, it is true Buffon left on a free. He's also a 43 year old goalkeeper who spent 19 years at Juventus and won pretty much every accolade a player in his position could win and is widely regarded my many to be the best goalkeeper of his generation. 

Armstrong staying here next season with a year on his deal benefits nobody and would be a huge gamble for him and the club. 

If it takes a leg break for him to sign a new deal here, I'll pass.  

The deal needs to be done asap and we move on 

19 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Double his wages, add in a 25m release clause, ask him for 3 years.  Provided no one stumps up the required amount this window and highlight Dack

Why would he sign that if he hasn't signed already? He doesn't want to be here. The only reason a deal here would look good to him is if he got injured. What if he's not the same player mentally and physically after an injury that has him out for a year? 

We would have needlessly smashed our wage stucture for a player that doesn't want to be here

It would he great if no one reaches the valuation and he just decides to do the right thing by the club and sign a 3 year deal, but in these situations players typically sulk and down tools.

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Brighton are £279m in debt.

and what does that matter? 

Spurs owe nearly 1 billion pounds due to the stadium cost I believe and spending 40 million pounds on a defender and 60 million on a striker. 

Man Utd have debt but still paying 73 million on Sancho

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Nobody will risk 15 million never mind 20 million on an unproven 1 hit wonder (so far) when they look at how out of his depth mcburney was last season when Sheffield utd splashed out 20 million 

why not? Armstrong fits Southampton way of playing and formation. Plus Armstrong has scored 46 goals over the last 2 season. So hardly a one hit wonder. 

Maybe look at Wilder and why didn't he get the best out of McBurnie last season. 

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's your example? 🤣

Yes, it is true Buffon left on a free. He's also a 43 year old goalkeeper who spent 19 years at Juventus and won pretty much every accolade a player in his position could win and is widely regarded my many to be the best goalkeeper of his generation. 

Armstrong staying here next season with a year on his deal benefits nobody and would be a huge gamble for him and the club. 

Donnarumma went on free this summer as did alaba.

Mbappe and pogba contracts in same position as Armstrong. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Nobody will risk 15 million never mind 20 million on an unproven 1 hit wonder (so far) when they look at how out of his depth mcburney was last season when Sheffield utd splashed out 20 million 

McBurnie is an interesting comparison. Struggled for goals ya, but he always looks a handful when I watched them. I think it's safe to say he gives more to the all round team than Armstrong does/would. Up against top centre halves I thought McBurnie did well physically. 

Armstrong had the luxury here of been able to miss a good few chances per game and go on barren runs. Hat tricks against steam rolled opposition and taking penalties buffed up his numbers. 

At a PL club he's going to be expected to put the ball in the net or vastly improve his all round game. He has shown he can score all types of a goals , so it it could work out for him somewhere in the PL I feel. I think he will have to hit the ground running though. If he goes 10 games without a goal , it would be hard to see him turning things around 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's your example? 🤣

Financially, there is no way that we can justify keeping him so totally with you on selling him, as much of a hole as it will leave,

But if he did end up staying, there is always a risk of a serious injury like a broken leg but it is a slim one, whereas continuing to score goals would only increase interest in him as a free agent, potentially getting him a bigger move and even more money added into that, so on probability he would surely crack on as normal, maybe after taking a few days to get his head around staying again. Mowbray suggested that he might play on Saturday if he is still here.

There is no indication that he would sulk or has a bad attitude, he has continued to train and play in friendlies, although the potential of an imminent career changing move will always play in your mind. 

If he stayed here, broke his leg in say October or November and was willing to sign for a few years, we would be cutting off our nose to spite our faces not to agree, but of course we should not get into that situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alex l said:

Donnarumma went on free this summer as did alaba.

Mbappe and pogba contracts in same position as Armstrong. 

All world class players ,who even if they got injured, would get top clubs, with big signing on fees. It's not in Armstrong or the clubs interest for him to go into the last year of his contact here 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Financially, there is no way that we can justify keeping him so totally with you on selling him, as much of a hole as it will leave,

But if he did end up staying, there is always a risk of a serious injury like a broken leg but it is a slim one, whereas continuing to score goals would only increase interest in him as a free agent, potentially getting him a bigger move and even more money added into that, so on probability he would surely crack on as normal, maybe after taking a few days to get his head around staying again. Mowbray suggested that he might play on Saturday if he is still here.

There is no indication that he would sulk or has a bad attitude, he has continued to train and play in friendlies, although the potential of an imminent career changing move will always play in your mind. 

If he stayed here, broke his leg in say October or November and was willing to sign for a few years, we would be cutting off our nose to spite our faces not to agree, but of course we should not get into that situation.

It's a slim risk, until it happens and as I said if it takes a leg break for him to sign a new deal here, no thanks. 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's a slim risk, until it happens and as I said if it takes a leg break for him to sign a new deal here, no thanks. 

If he broke his leg in October and then was willing to sign a 3 or 4 year deal, you would say no? Surely cutting off our nose to spite our faces?

• Like 1