BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Mowbray has not said Armstrong wants to leave, he said he knocks on his door daily and has been very professional about his situation. At no point does he infer Armstrong is demanding to leave or asking for a transfer.

As it stands there is no one inside Rovers set up to either confirm or deny any speculation nor have we a roverswiki leak that feeds us titbits.

Anyhow until anything occurs it’s not worth getting het up about it👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would definitely take Elliott back if the opportunity arose. I wonder what's happening there? 

He has been regularly starting for Liverpool through pre-season and impressing, I think in a slightly deeper role than he played here.

I would be surprised if he got loaned out and if he does, I suspect it will be to a Premier League team or at a push a contender for promotion in this league.

25 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Mowbray has not said Armstrong wants to leave, he said he knocks on his door daily and has been very professional about his situation. At no point does he infer Armstrong is demanding to leave or asking for a transfer.

As it stands there is no one inside Rovers set up to either confirm or deny any speculation nor have we a roverswiki leak that feeds us titbits.

Anyhow until anything occurs it’s not worth getting het up about it👍

Mowbray is never likely to say he's spat the dummy and is being a nightmare, nor is he likely to say "we're a basket case and he's better off doing one".

Both would put pressure on the selling price and like you said, no point worrying until it's done.

I am in the camp that thinks he's too valuable an asset to let go for nowt in a year, but I'm also saddened that such a goal machine wasn't tied to a longer contract way before now.

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I am no expert but where has anyone seen a story that Armstrong has said he wants to leave?

I think Armstrong has been professional about the situation and not come out he wants to leave for PL club due to respect for Mowbray, his team mates and the fans. He done it in private. He hasn't submitted a transfer request either from what we know

2 hours ago, callumrovers said:

Who would you take on loan then?

Leighton Clarkson

Tommy Doyle

Morgan Rogers

Liam Delap

James Garner 

Harvey Elliot again (dreaming)

I wouldn't mind James Garner and Morgan Rogers who have both played Football league football last season. Garner was on loan Watford and Nottingham Forest whilst Rogers was on loan at Lincoln. Both have good loan spells at their loan clubs. 

But that said I not in favour out blocking our young players pathway to the first team. Maybe 1 or 2 loans but deffo not in favour of having 5 loan players at the club. 

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Players (like managers) tend to have a healthy estimate of their own ability. Armstrong won't be thinking that if he stays this season that'll be his last chance at the PL gone. He'll be assuming that he'll have another very good season and if he ran his contract down he'd have his pick of Clubs as a free agent.

He could hypothetically get a serious injury here but realistically it's far more likely he won't.

I wouldn't necessarily be wanting to keep him if we stood to pocket £15 or £20 m from his sale but for a net £7 or £8m it's simply not worth selling imo.

Unfortunately, that's where we are at. As Mowbray said in that interview, if he had 3 years left it would cost £25 million to sign him. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong is a goalscorer and his stats in the last 18 months back that up when played as number 9 striker position

Brighton owner Tony Bloom is a billionaire Jim. You say that Brighton are in debt by 279 million pounds but that is owed to their owner just like ours is owed to our owners. 

Plus they have spent over 200 million pounds over the last 4 years(seasons 18/19 to 21/22) and will continue to spend this summer. 

The most Brighton have spent on a player is £17m. I doubt they’ll exceed that for an unproven player at the top level  of dubious quality. Bottom line is Brighton don’t have the spending power. I’d be very surprised if they came in for Armstrong above Palace’s offer

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The most Brighton have spent on a player is £17m. I doubt they’ll exceed that for an unproven player at the top level  of dubious quality. Bottom line is Brighton don’t have the spending power. I’d be very surprised if they came in for Armstrong above Palace’s offer

Well they have just spent 20 million pounds for midfielder Enock Mwepu from Red Bull Salzburg. Plus they paid for Neal Maupay and Adam Webster for 20 million pounds each.

Southampton have put a new bid for Armstrong today 

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

They bought Webster for 20 million rising to 22.

Mapauy was also 20 million 

Both were championship players and hadn't' played at the top level 

Edited by islander200

I am by no means convinced the failure to tie Nyambe and Lenihan down to long-term contracts is down to incompetence.

Given their time in the first team, and when they signed their last ones, they must both have been on decent money, certainly well above the likes of Travis and the like. Apart from Dack, it wouldn’t surprise me if they were now in our top five earners. Offering increased terms over several years actually commits the club to cumulatively huge future outlays, given how contracts are essentially unbreakable for clubs.

There’s clearly a target been set on what the wage bill must come down to, and the Dack experience has shown “protecting asset value” by long expensive contracts is by no means a certainty. With three young centre halves in and around the squad, plus JR-C and Pike (??) coming through, maybe India has decreed it’s not worth committing to several million over the next four years for maybe, at best, several million in transfer fees for Nyambe/Lenihan. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well they have just spent 20 million pounds for midfielder Enock Mwepu from Red Bull Salzburg. Plus they paid for Neal Maupay and Adam Webster for 20 million pounds each.

Southampton have put a new bid for Armstrong today 

Where have you seen about Southampton putting in a new bid?

13 hours ago, islander200 said:

Elliot got 11 assists and 4 goals he deserved his place in the team, Mowbray benched him for a few games when his standards dropped.

Harwood Bellis didn't go straight into the 11 he had to wait until a position opened up through injury but once in he looked the best defender at the club

Trybull the experienced player was rubbish

I agree the younger players were the better loans last season.

The differences between this season and last are last season we were on a supposed playoff push and had a much bigger squad so the young loans were able to contribute more to that with less pressure than this season were we have a much smaller squad and about to lose our top scorer so are more likely to be in a relegation battle.

I don't want teenagers put in the position of having to bail us out when injuries and the wear and tear of a long season takes it toll and the small squad is stretched to its limits.I'd rather have experienced players help what could be a long and difficult season ahead.

5 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I agree the younger players were the better loans last season.

The differences between this season and last are last season we were on a supposed playoff push and had a much bigger squad so the young loans were able to contribute more to that with less pressure than this season were we have a much smaller squad and about to lose our top scorer so are more likely to be in a relegation battle.

I don't want teenagers put in the position of having to bail us out when injuries and the wear and tear of a long season takes it toll and the small squad is stretched to its limits.I'd rather have experienced players help what could be a long and difficult season ahead.

I think we would all like experienced players but with the noises coming from the club it won't be happening.

The decent experienced players,the parent club will want the majority of the wages paying which seemingly we can't afford.So if we do go down that route we will be getting players like Trybull who Norwich were so desperate to get rid of they loaned him to a championship rival and we only had to pay 2k a week toward his wage.

We need numbers in anyway ,with our injury.Maybe if Armstrong sold the owners might sanction some permanent deals(even though I don't really want Mowbray spending it) 

30 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Shows you shouldn't trust wikipedia

No one looked at crappy Wikipedia BUT REPORTED by Sky Sports, BBC Sports, the Guardian and the Athletic online paper Brighton signed Adam Webster FOR 20 million pounds. Maybe just do a simple Google search and you find that you wrong Jim. 

29 minutes ago, Gav said:

Sounds like Southampton can’t afford Armstrong, they should move along and find a cheaper option. 

They just sold Ings for 25 million pounds. They are signing young striker from Chelsea on loan for the season so the funds are there to buy Armstrong 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No one looked at crappy Wikipedia BUT REPORTED by Sky Sports, BBC Sports, the Guardian and the Athletic online paper Brighton signed Adam Webster FOR 20 million pounds. Maybe just do a simple Google search and you find that you wrong Jim. 

Type "Brighton record signing" into Google. and this is the top result

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brighton_and_Hove_Albion_F.C._records_and_statistics#:~:text=from 1922–1936.-,Highest transfer Fee Paid,reported to be £17m.

Mea culpa (look it up) though.

As you famously said, you've got better things to do than read newspapers.  

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They just sold Ings for 25 million pounds. They are signing young striker from Chelsea on loan for the season so the funds are there to buy Armstrong 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/brighton-amp-hove-albion/transferrekorde/verein/1237

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Type "Brighton record signing" into Google. and this is the top result

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brighton_and_Hove_Albion_F.C._records_and_statistics#:~:text=from 1922–1936.-,Highest transfer Fee Paid,reported to be £17m.

Mea culpa (look it up) though.

As you famously said, you've got better things to do than read newspapers.  

Or just type Adam Webster signs for Brighton and you get the results I said. 

Who needs to read newspapers these days with 24 hours Sports news channel and 2 24 hours channels. 

• Like 1