BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Sounds like Southampton can’t afford Armstrong, they should move along and find a cheaper option. 

Pretty certain that no club will pay what Rovers want - IMO, it's grossly inflated and Armstrong isn't worth it.

Not a question of not being able to afford but more a realisation of what Armstrong is worth.

Bloke down the road wants £4k for his wife's car - I want the car for one of my lads but it is not worth £4k even though I can afford £4k.  Offered him £3k which is in line with what he'd get for cash at We Buy Any Car etc.  Told him the offer stands for 72 hours - sadly, Rovers will soon find themselves in a similar if not worse situation.  Market forces determine a commodity's worth and not wishful thinking!!!

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Pretty certain that no club will pay what Rovers want - IMO, it's grossly inflated and Armstrong isn't worth it.

Not a question of not being able to afford but more a realisation of what Armstrong is worth.

Bloke down the road wants £4k for his wife's car - I want the car for one of my lads but it is not worth £4k even though I can afford £4k.  Offered him £3k which is in line with what he'd get for cash at We Buy Any Car etc.  Told him the offer stands for 72 hours - sadly, Rovers will soon find themselves in a similar if not worse situation.  Market forces determine a commodity's worth and not wishful thinking!!!

I think Rovers are just trying to get a bidding war going and then sell to the highest bidder with due time to sign a replacement. 

3 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I think Rovers are just trying to get a bidding war going and then sell to the highest bidder with due time to sign a replacement. 

This is Armstrong they are trying to sell and not Messi!!!

The market for Armstrong is very limited and the sooner the Rovers realise that and show some realism the better.  If they don't, they are going to make the feckin hole they've dug for themselves even bigger.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No one looked at crappy Wikipedia BUT REPORTED by Sky Sports, BBC Sports, the Guardian and the Athletic online paper Brighton signed Adam Webster FOR 20 million pounds. Maybe just do a simple Google search and you find that you wrong Jim. 

They just sold Ings for 25 million pounds. They are signing young striker from Chelsea on loan for the season so the funds are there to buy Armstrong 

Maybe that Broja on loan is their replacement for Ings and they have given up on Armstrong. Norwich seem never to have been interest but have also gone elsewhere so maybe it is Palace or nowhere.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

This is Armstrong they are trying to sell and not Messi!!!

The market for Armstrong is very limited and the sooner the Rovers realise that and show some realism the better.  If they don't, they are going to make the feckin hole they've dug for themselves even bigger.

I know what you mean, but… next Saturday some of the potentially interested teams are going to have poor results. Staying in the PL comes with big rewards, so one could blink and roll the (risky) dice. He isn’t Messi, but he is young, English and has scored goals for several seasons. Brighton stayed up with a top scorer of 6 (I think). Could Armstrong get 5 to 10, could that be enough for one of the bottom 6 to not be bottom 3… yes, and at £15-20m, we’ll worth the risk.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe that Broja on loan is their replacement for Ings and they have given up on Armstrong. Norwich seem never to have been interest but have also gone elsewhere so maybe it is Palace or nowhere.

Rich Sharpe has mentioned Norwich as well. Watford, Southampton, Norwich and Crystal Palace and judging by Mowbrays comments yesterday one or more clubs aren't far off:

"“I think the club are right to have a valuation and it needs meeting. These clubs that have bids in for him, for me, the Premier League you see some of the money, we’re arguing over a few quid here and there, pay the asking price, get the job done and let’s get on with it."

So bids from more than one PL club, and probably a little haggling as well as how a deal should be structured. Can't see him staying.

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Cheers

Not sure Southampton will put enough on the table for us to deal, if their opening bid was only £8m, I can't see them doubling it, which sounds like more what we are after.

Thing is we are all debating whether Arma is top level quality and his worth. But on this occasion Mowbray is right. If he had 3 years left on his deal no club would have a sniff under £20million and we would probably be trying to milk them for closer to £25million. Whether somebody would pay it is another question. 

If Southampton are after a striker to replace Ings who they are 100% confident in and represents very little risk then they simply don't exist at the prices they are willing to pay. £8million was insulting. I'm sure in their heads they value Obafemi who's done nothing in his career at that price. If they want him. They need to pay up and do it now. 

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would definitely take Elliott back if the opportunity arose. I wonder what's happening there? 

He’s due to start in the middle of a midfield three, taking over from Gini Wildjnaldum. Wasn’t good enough to start every week for Tony. 

• Like 2

Just now, Torgeir said:

Rich Sharpe has mentioned Norwich as well. Watford, Southampton, Norwich and Crystal Palace and judging by Mowbrays comments yesterday one or more clubs aren't far off:

"“I think the club are right to have a valuation and it needs meeting. These clubs that have bids in for him, for me, the Premier League you see some of the money, we’re arguing over a few quid here and there, pay the asking price, get the job done and let’s get on with it."

So bids from more than one PL club, and probably a little haggling as well as how a deal should be structured. Can't see him staying.

"a few quid here and there" - IMO, bullsh1t!  If you are so close you just get the feckin deal done.

Think Mowbray getting his £millions and £quids mixed up!!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ben_the_beast said:

Thing is we are all debating whether Arma is top level quality and his worth. But on this occasion Mowbray is right. If he had 3 years left on his deal no club would have a sniff under £20million and we would probably be trying to milk them for closer to £25million. Whether somebody would pay it is another question. 

If Southampton are after a striker to replace Ings who they are 100% confident in and represents very little risk then they simply don't exist at the prices they are willing to pay. £8million was insulting. I'm sure in their heads they value Obafemi who's done nothing in his career at that price. If they want him. They need to pay up and do it now. 

But he hasn't, he's less than 12 months.

IF my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle!

Time for realism - Rovers between a rock and a hard place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J*B said:

He’s due to start in the middle of a midfield three, taking over from Gini Wildjnaldum. Wasn’t good enough to start every week for Tony. 

Yes he was, but he was a 17-year-old boy playing his first full season of senior football. He featured 41 times for us according to wiki, and with Liverpool following his progress closely, I'm sure some of the times he was rested was due to fatigue and based on input from the Liverpool end.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Southampton are after 2 strikers to replace Ings. Broja is one with the other being Armstrong from reports. 

Lancs live, the Athletic and local Southampton paper are reporting a new Armstrong bid today. 

Palace are in for him. Maybe others PL clubs might be interest in him

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Yer, it sounds like a deal is close to being done.

Not sure what Mowbray's definition of a "few quid here and there" is but it certainly sounds like a deal is near enough done.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Was he not? Aside from a few games in which he was rested, and the last 3 when thinking of this season, he was one of the first names of the team sheet. Definitely not coming back though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Yer, it sounds like a deal is close to being done.

Not sure what Mowbray's definition of a "few quid here and there" is but it certainly sounds like a deal is near enough done.

What did we pay for SG?  A “few quid”…just pay the asking price if you want a player right? 

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

The one good thing that we've seen over the past 10yrs from Venkys, is they'll will not have their pants pulled down when it comes to selling players.

I'm sure Mowbray is desperate to bring new blood in, we certainly need it, but if the owners valuation isn't met Armstrong will be going nowhere.

These clubs know the number, Mowbray has been telling them for 6 months, pay it or find a cheaper option, its as simple as that.

Edited by Gav

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

The one good thing that we've seen over the past 10yrs from Venkys, is they'll will not have their pants pulled down when it comes to selling players.

I'm sure Mowbray is desperate to bring new blood in, we certainly need it, but if the owners valuation isn't met Armstrong will be going nowhere.

These clubs know the number, Mowbray has been telling them for 6 months, pay it find a cheaper option, its as simple as that.

Problem Gav is it's not that simple!

If no club coughs-up, we are left with a disenchanted player who will almost certainly either leave in January in a 'cut price' deal or will walk for nothing at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, yankfan said:

What did we pay for SG?  A “few quid”…just pay the asking price if you want a player right? 

Tbh Armstrong is already 'cheap' with 12 months left on his contract, and Mowbray's got a point; lower league clubs are struggling big time financially while PL clubs are haggling over what is 'a few quid here and there' for them. A few quid probably equals to a few mill.

It's obvious we need the money, I'll eat my hat if Armstrong isn't sold before the window shuts.

10 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Nothing takes the piss like football clubs in the transfer windows.
They know what the price is and they have the money. 
Put up or shut up, you absolute wasters.

They are not taking the piss. Basic economics, they know we need the money, twelve months left on his contract. They can wait to the end of the window, if the three stooges don’t drop their valuation the Saints can wait until January when the valuation will have dropped. How’s that taking the piss, if the Rovers operated like this you’d be clapping your hands.

• Like 3

It makes economic sense for us to wait if there are 2,3 or 4 teams interested.  They value of an extra 2 or 3 million to us is a lot higher than it is to Southampton for example.

Saints themselves have been up and down and will have to be careful losing their best player in Ings.  If they believe Armstrong can make a big impact they can afford to pay 15 million at least.

• Like 2