BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

7 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Rumours that this deal is unofficially 12m + 3m add ons AND Obafemi. Officially it is a straight cash deal.

Sound like Southampton may ‘separately’ give us Obafemi at a cut price fee so that we avoid it being added to the fee due to Newcastle. 

If the Obafemi deal is totally seperate, what is to stop Southampton pulling out of the deal, once Armstong has signed for them ?

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

Is that lad Dike who was banging them in for Barnsley still available, I know Barnsley were priced out so could rule us out though 

The sort of deal we should be after to replace our talisman. Sadly they've already set the bar low on expectations of any replacement for Armstrong let alone a decent one.

Soon to be 12 out 0 in. 

Mowbray's next excuse will be that clubs and agents are demanding too much because they think we've got the Armstrong money burning a hole in the pockets.

It will be excuse after excuse with little action to show for it.

Whether it is £10, 12 or £15 million matters Little. It won't be of benefit to Blackburn Rovers and it is a bargain in today's world of English young goalscorers.

Shame because that sort of player sale should catapult us forward and enable quality reinvestment. But, like with Venkys millions, what should be of benefit won't be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rigger said:

If the Obafemi deal is totally seperate, what is to stop Southampton pulling out of the deal, once Armstong has signed for them ?

A signed agreement between the two clubs... surely? 

1 hour ago, J*B said:

A few Southampton Journo's saying its just 9m up front..

Crooke, Sharpe and Nixon all saying 15 million pounds deal with us receiving 10.2 million pounds and the Toon 4.8 million. 

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Are you sure about that? Lol

Plays anywhere across the front 3 or behind striker.

He better in the 10 role since his injuries and I have seen him played for the under 18's and under 23's. Deffo not a number 9 

53 minutes ago, Mercer said:

According to a colleague in NE, it's £15m MAX INCLUDING £3m add ons.

£15m max ties in with Hampshire press.

another colleague abit like your family member saying Alex Neil would be here as manager. I'm sure he wasn't in the Rovers dugout for the Swansea game. 

I

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Very much doubt Obafemi will be coming in. They can't even get to the level of paying Nyambe a few grand a week more. How the hell are they going to pay his wages?

Would be a loan with Southamton subsidising wages.

It just doesn't make case to bring in Obafemi when we have so many players on run down contracts,  all money should be going to extensions surely?

The only scenario I can see is that Southampton didn't want to pay more so offered Obafemi as a non-negotiable lightweight

Edited by CambridgeRover

8 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

A signed agreement between the two clubs... surely? 

A signed agreement would invalidate our attempts to avoid the Newcastle chunk. The suggestion is it technically happens as a totally separate deal. You'd think there will be a gentleman's agreement though.

The issue is then whether the player actually agrees terms with us though...that wouldn't be Southampton's fault. If this is the plan I hope we are being clever about it, otherwise we could just end up losing a few million in an attempt to cheat Newcastle out of a million or so.

54 minutes ago, Mercer said:

The lad missed the 2nd half of last season through injury!!!

Hope it isn't going to be another one of those.................................

;lets give the player but we write him off. 

Maybe its a Alex Neil signing for us 😂

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Only £15m for Armstrong is a very low fee, considering we have "held out." It is a myth that Venkys always hold out for the highest fee, look at Cairney, Gestede and Duffy for example.

We HAVE to sign a permanent replacement, of course at a fraction of the fee we receive.

was 6 million pounds from Villa for Gestede not a good deal? achieved nothing after leaving us. No one else bid anything like that for him

20 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Sound like Southampton may ‘separately’ give us Obafemi at a cut price fee so that we avoid it being added to the fee due to Newcastle. 

Thats would be good move to stop them getting more money. 

We can offer him first team football

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

;lets give the player but we write him off. 

Maybe its a Alex Neil signing for us 😂

was 6 million pounds from Villa for Gestede not a good deal? achieved nothing after leaving us. No one else bid anything like that for him

Thats would be good move to stop them getting more money. 

We can offer him first team football

6 mill for Gestede wasn't a good deal at the time, no. That he flopped after is irrelevant, that can happen. Wrong club, wrong manager, injury luck etc. At the time we should have been getting more for him.

6 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

It's good news for all I think.  The AA issue seems to be sorted, with a reasonable fee, so we can move on.  The singing appears positive too.  Of course the underlining issues are still there, but some movement at last. 

Is that the singing on the Blackburn end ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

A signed agreement would invalidate our attempts to avoid the Newcastle chunk. The suggestion is it technically happens as a totally separate deal. You'd think there will be a gentleman's agreement though.

The issue is then whether the player actually agrees terms with us though...that wouldn't be Southampton's fault. If this is the plan I hope we are being clever about it, otherwise we could just end up losing a few million in an attempt to cheat Newcastle out of a million or so.

Surely then you don't put the Armstrong deal through until the obafemi deal is tied up then put them through at the same time.

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Would be a loan with Southamton subsidising wages.

So another dodge on actually trying to rebuild our asset base and a cop out by turning to loans again.

What happens when all the assets are gone?

9 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

It's good news for all I think.  The AA issue seems to be sorted, with a reasonable fee, so we can move on.  The singing appears positive too.  Of course the underlining issues are still there, but some movement at last. 

We can move on to what? No reinvestment, another asset off, no replacement (a loan isn't a replacement).

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

6 mill for Gestede wasn't a good deal at the time, no. That he flopped after is irrelevant, that can happen. Wrong club, wrong manager, injury luck etc. At the time we should have been getting more for him.

no one was offering any more for him. At a fans meeting Gary Bowyer said that Villa was the only club who bid for him for 6 million. Palace offered 4 million in the January window in the previous season. @J*B, @Tomand @PeteJD13was at the same fans meeting as me. Plus he wanted out and went public about it. Armstrong never as

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Injuries to 2 centrebacks aka Ayala and Wharton don’t forget.

Hindsight is a fantastic thing. Also - out of all the loans last season, Branthwaite was probably the least convincing. Harwood bellis was good enough, Harvey was a sensation, Trybull didn’t do too badly, Douglas struggled with injuries but was an improvement on Bell.

Sounds more like 80% justifiable to me, and the one not so much an “emergency”.

Season before was Tosin, Walton and Cunningham. Walton was poor, however we needed a GK and I’m happy we waited because the player we got eventually is a cracking GK. Tosin was excellent and Cunny got injured early doors.

Hard to suggest that season was “loan bust”?

Season before - Palmer, Brereton (with fee agreed) and Harrison… I would say all three decent acquisitions at the times.

Again - an improved squad due to loans.

Despite all this, we could easily sign 5 loans this season and it could be 0% successful, but I’d put that down to choice of player recruited - not because they’re “loans”.

In an ideal world weve just signed Harry Wilson 12m in attempt to instantly get promoted, but I’m sure most rovers fans would accept that’s almost impossible when trying to compete with wages / fees that relegated premier league teams can manage.

Thought Douglas was awful tbh.  Trybul had the odd good game.

Splitting hairs though. History points to young players  on the fringes of elite teams having the highest success rate.  They will also no doubt be the most expensive.  Suppose it depends where our priorities lie.  If this season is to simply stay afloat, I can't imagine the quality of loanees will be great and will probably be to the detriment of our own young kids.  If the strategy is to attract the young 'elite' players there is some merit to developing that strategy with a view to play offs. 

• Like 3