BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, JoeH said:

I think when young, promising players are available at such cheap prices like Kirk with his release clause, it's worth a punt. Harry Pickering and Kirk had an incredible partnership and they complement each other very well. It would be fairly smart to see if their partnership can succeed at this level.

Chapman hasn't ever succeeded at Championship level, and whilst he is doing well in League One, I don't think you can compare him to the two players I've mentioned, as Curtis and Kirk have never been given that opportunity in this division and could well be superior. 

If it were my decision I'd probably keep Chapman around given how well he's done on loan, but one winger doesn't offer enough options. But it's not my decision obviously and as you say, TM doesn't often play wingers on the wing.

Why can’t we compare him to two players who have had slightly less of a chance in this league than he has?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

My response to that would be that Chapman has proven he's not able to replicate that form in this division, with those other players mentioned there's still the chance they could acclimatise well to that step up. I'd be happy enough with Chapman staying if he's improving but that's extremely unlikely given his current situation

That's hardly true though. he has hardly featured for us at all since we resigned him. I think he simply doesn't fit into the manager's style of play which is not to have wingers and to play "wide strikers" to go with his false nine"!

I'd like to see a decent manager come in and give him a chance. If he fails, we wouldn't be worse off would we? They're all failing now up-front.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I personally think that Gallagher getting 15 goals next season is very unlikely

Why not? 

Provide quality balls into the box he will score as he has proven before like Norwich or Stoke away game or PNE game. Plus playing him wide role isnt going to improve his goal tally is it? 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Players dont have to come from the lower leagues either, if our scouting network is as good as Mowbray seems to want to portray, then surely it can find players within these parameters from abroad. There is also no reason not to look within the Championship, especially if any strikers contracts are close to expiry which I think a few are.

I would be looking at all strikers options from Championship to league 1 to SPL to foriegn targets within those parameters. 

Jordan Hugill is a proper centre forward, although we will more likely end up with his little brother who's about 18 and at Utd on loan...

Gallagher cannot be our centre forward, my how people forget his heavy touch, going down blind alleys, etc, etc.  Sell and bring some new blood in

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not? 

Provide quality balls into the box he will score as he has proven before like Norwich or Stoke away game or PNE game. Plus playing him wide role isnt going to improve his goal tally is it? 

I would be looking at all strikers options from Championship to league 1 to SPL to foriegn targets within those parameters. 

You cant just use random examples as proof that he can score x amount. Its like me saying that if we had allowed Friedel to come up for corners, he could have scored more like he did at Charlton away. 

Obviously his usage this season (previously defended by yourself) has been bizarre but even before I didnt rate him as a striker. Not a natural goalscorer for a start.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You cant just use random examples as proof that he can score x amount.

Its shows provide him with quality balls into the box and he will score from the number 9 position. Mowbray will never play him there constantly even if Armstrong did leave. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Not a natural goalscorer for a start.

Would you say Armstrong was natural goalscorer before the last 15 months period? 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its shows provide him with quality balls into the box and he will score from the number 9 position. Mowbray will never play him there constantly even if Armstrong did leave. 

Would you say Armstrong was natural goalscorer before the last 15 months period? 

Possibly not although he has scored 20 in a season before. But again, you can apply that logic to anyone. Could Kaminski be a prolific goalscorer? I have seen Gallagher plenty in a central position to have seen that he is not a natural goalscorer and he does not anticipate chances very well. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Possibly not although he has scored 20 in a season before.

See I would have said yes before his Barnsley spell. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I have seen Gallagher plenty in a central position to have seen that he is not a natural goalscorer and he does not anticipate chances very well. 

Under Mowbray? Mostly not. 

I never said he was natural goalscorer tho but played in his main position he would score between 10 to 15 goals. I still remember his goal against Wolves. What a great volley

I'd be playing our 12m pound wing force as strikers, they can share the role and offer different attributes in the same position. I cannot think why I want to play 2 players who have played as striker's all their careers as striker's, I suppose you could call it a feeling, that they might do better there. For some reason it seems sensible, but obviously I won't argue with experts like TM.

If Armstrong leaves I wouldn't be buying a striker, BB and SG can play there so that's 2.  Other areas are far less well stocked and require attention well before we invest further in striker's.

The expert in his wisdom knows he or whoever has made giant boo boo's investing so much in those two. Play one or the other up top every week and don't see any results then his game is up. The cat is well and truly out the bag.

Play them bit by bit, here there and everywhere and he drags it out and to the owners he's 'bringing them along' and integrating them into the Rovers way.  You know the same excuse he applies to everyone.

If in doubt, drag it out.

Is his motto.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looking at the out of contract Championship striker list one name on there I think Mowbray will look at and that is Boro's striker Ashley Fletcher..

So Mowbray is staying now? I agree but that removes any slither of excitement that could be mustered up.

3 hours ago, Ulrich said:

I'd be playing our 12m pound wing force as strikers, they can share the role and offer different attributes in the same position. I cannot think why I want to play 2 players who have played as striker's all their careers as striker's, I suppose you could call it a feeling, that they might do better there. For some reason it seems sensible, but obviously I won't argue with experts like TM.

If Armstrong leaves I wouldn't be buying a striker, BB and SG can play there so that's 2.  Other areas are far less well stocked and require attention well before we invest further in striker's.

If our 2 strikers were Gallagher and Brereton, you would still deem that to be well down the lists of priorities? Absolutely crazy. If Armstrong goes then we need a new striker to come in. Gallagher may well be serviceable as 2nd or 3rd choice, Brereton is not a centre forward though. Them 2 as the grand total of our striking talent would leave us in the mire.

I get that 12m has been spent but thats a sunk cost now and we cant rely on them in spite of evidence purely to desprately attempt to justify it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

So Mowbray is staying now? I agree but that removes any slither of excitement that could be mustered up.

It's a possibility given that he has another 12 left on his contract. Looks like Mowbray's future will be discuss by owners at end of the season review 

You know my view on the manager situation so why asked me that sort of questions. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's a possibility given that he has another 12 left on his contract. Looks like Mowbray's future will be discuss by owners at end of the season review 

You know my view on the manager situation so why asked me that sort of questions. 

It just seems a bit of a swing from you thinking he is likely to go in this international break!

It seems more likely based on past events that if Armstrong goes, it will be some bollocks next season like Buckley as a false 9 with Brereton and Gallagher either side.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Not sure they're presenting those stats right. 6% dribble success rate? That's absolutely abysmal, or they didn't mean to put percent and mean 6 successful dribbles per game.

that data is worked into percentiles. He's in the 6th percentile out of 20 for Dribble Success %. It's a format enabling the data to be presented in the style of a Football Manager profile for the purpose of digestible content for Twitter users.

For clarity, Jerry Yates' Dribble Success % sits at around 46%, and for comparison, Sam Gallagher's sits at 45%

Edited by JoeH

On Harry Chapman, he's featured in 14 Championship & 9 FA/League Cup games as a Blackburn Rovers player. I don't personally believe he has impressed for us at any level besides in League One. I think he's found his place there and whilst I find it frustrating that he's not under contract til 2024, and therefore saleable for a million pounds, he's had enough chance for me personally to have impressed at Rovers.

We'll have to agree to disagree on him, but I wouldn't be massively against him staying at the club either. 

Anyone dismissing the Charlie Kirk suggestion should really look into what he has going with Harry Pickering. Their partnership is mighty impressive and if they can connect with each other so well, and he's available so cheap, I think it would be foolish not to give it a go. 

We've seen how important successful partnerships can be with Dack & Graham, Rhodes & Gestede. You can't teach/train that understanding between players very quickly.

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

that data is worked into percentiles. He's in the 6th percentile out of 20 for Dribble Success %. It's a format enabling the data to be presented in the style of a Football Manager profile for the purpose of digestible content for Twitter users.

For clarity, Jerry Yates' Dribble Success % sits at around 46%, and for comparison, Sam Gallagher's sits at 45%

Thanks, that makes more sense. I can't say I like it, as I prefer to know in absolutes, not relatives. 6th percentile out of 20 where, in that league? Really rather they just gave the actual percent.

Another name is Paul Mullin who has 24 goals this season in League Two.

Not incredibly young but still pre-peak age at 26. A big step up to Championship level but a cheap option if someone's willing to take a punt. A goalscorer is a goalscorer and he's just a natural one. Goals from all kinds of areas, right place right time. Unlike anything we really have since the departure of Danny Graham in terms of a real proper striker.

Available on a free at the end of his contract this summer and almost guaranteed a move up the EFL, could be a good squad option for us.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Thanks, that makes more sense. I can't say I like it, as I prefer to know in absolutes, not relatives. 6th percentile out of 20 where, in that league? Really rather they just gave the actual percent.

All relative to the League in which the player plays in. So 20/20's are the absolute top of any particular metric in their respective division.

22 minutes ago, JoeH said:

And Joe Rothwell?

Again, sceptical of the use of such a statistic. If a player takes on 2 players, gets to a third and loses it, does that come out as 66.67% successful, or 0%? How can you possibly define whether something is a dribble, does the close proximity of an opponent come into it? Impossible to objectify.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

All relative to the League in which the player plays in. So 20/20's are the absolute top of any particular metric in their respective division.

Oh, so it's essentially in reverse, too? I thought it meant 6th best percentile, but it's more like 6th worst percentile?

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, sceptical of the use of such a statistic. If a player takes on 2 players, gets to a third and loses it, does that come out as 66.67% successful, or 0%? How can you possibly define whether something is a dribble, does the close proximity of an opponent come into it? Impossible to objectify.

One dribble, regardless of the amount of players taken on, is a dribble. If they beat two but then lose it in the same play then it's unsuccessful. 

I think you're sceptical of the use of quite a lot of data, which is fine you do you, but clubs take these things extremely seriously these days, and increasingly so given current scouting climate with COVID.