BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

32 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

You nicely make my point for me: not the league, but their capabilities.  Thanks.

I don't know if you're trying to be clever, but yes that is the point I'm making.

Going off the stats (which people are when they talk about 12 goals in League One...11 in the league itself actually) he is showing less of those capabilities than the players you mentioned. Those two are good examples of how League One players can be good. This lad hasn't shown what they've shown yet. An example of how even top-rated League One players can be crap in the Championship also exists in our squad though - League One Team of the Year selectee Amari'i Bell.

To be clear, I'm in no way writing him off. But an attacker with a career-best 12 goals a level below isn't going to inspire tons of confidence when we likely need to replace an attacker with 26 goals at our own level. As ever, any real judgement will come when I see him kick a ball for us.

Another poster said he has played on the right, which as well as fitting in with Mowbray's wet dreams, may explain the goal tally a bit. For me though we need a lad for the middle. Then again, Arma played wide until he didn't, and that turned out well.

Before this season, the most Dale had scored was 5, in the Northern Premier League. Of course, he could only just be coming into his own now, 22 still means room to grow. I just hope he isn't intended as our sole Arma replacement, and that he costs a sensible fee. If we are indeed even interested.

1 hour ago, dallydally said:

And I'd prefer the Peterborough forward!!

Jonson Clarke Harris will not be cheap and at 26 he's pretty much developed. With TM being such a strong individual at maximising potential, I think we're better off pursuing a player with greater scope to grow so TM can make him blossom.

3 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Jonson Clarke Harris will not be cheap and at 26 he's pretty much developed. With TM being such a strong individual at maximising potential, I think we're better off pursuing a player with greater scope to grow so TM can make him blossom.

"so TM can make him blossom"? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Does anyone think that Joe Pigott from AFC Wimbledon could be worth signing as a back up to Armstrong/new number 1 striker next season? or in possible front 2 if we play that way?

He has scored a few hasn't he, 20 plus is a good return. He is defo the type we need to look at, playing at the top of league on individually so perhaps the step up is easier. Good shout.

• Backroom

You can cherry pick a couple of L1's brightest prospects and potentially strike big, but build your entire transfer strategy on it and you're going down.

With that said with Mowbray at the helm we're going down regardless, so w/e. 

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

You can cherry pick a couple of L1's brightest prospects and potentially strike big, but build your entire transfer strategy on it and you're going down.

With that said with Mowbray at the helm we're going down regardless, so w/e. 

I agree that a couple or 3 League 1 brightest prospects we could sign in summer apart from Pickering signing 

15 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Holtby on his way, not being offered a new deal according to LT.

Mowbray has said it so possibly confirms he's making the decisions for next season. 

Tony Mowbray confirms Lewis Holtby won't be offered new deal | Lancashire Telegraph

Already being downplayed/carpeted in the LT comments section.

Holtby not good enough for Rovers but Mowbray is. Yet it was Mowbray who signed him. Curious how this works.

• Like 1

People go on about the expense of changing manager but keeping this one will cost a few more million. Whether it's wages for frees or loan fees etc he's going to be spending something.

Better just biting the bullet and keeping this squad, change manager and watch them have a good season. Saves a fortune in the long run, as long as it works out obviously but it's the same for any player he throws money at anyway.

As for Holtby a good player but too fragile for this league, besides he's yet another who's thrown in and out according to opposition. 

Just to see that silly system end would be a blessing.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

West Ham set to bid 24 million pounds for Adam Armstrong according to journalist Pedro Almeida 

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/journalist-makes-big-claim-about-impending-west-ham-united-move-for-adam-armstrong/

A good place to start the bidding. Really need another PL club to come in too. If we can get close to 30 it would be pretty good 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

West Ham set to bid 24 million pounds for Adam Armstrong according to journalist Pedro Almeida 

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/journalist-makes-big-claim-about-impending-west-ham-united-move-for-adam-armstrong/

Not going to happen. 

As in there is no way it's going to be 24 million as a transfer fee. Go to a Premier League club , quite possibly, but not for that type of fee. 

Firstly I'm not too sure he's worth that. It's been a good 12-18 months for him but it's really only in that time he has shone. Given his weaknesses, his wastefulness and struggles with one on one I can't see him being worth above the £20 million mark.

More significantly he's in the last year of his contract which easily knocks a third off his value minimum. Admittedly fag packed maths but you look at all last year of the contract sales and it is significantly less than their one value, so assuming a third is knocked off is not an unreasonable assumption.

So let's assume that he is worth 24 million (though am not convinced) being in his last year that would garner a fee of around £16 million. Heck to get £24 million in his last year of his contract he would have to be worth well north of £30 million which he clearly isn't. Even if we generously allow for depreciation of a quarter for final year of contract we are still looking at him being worth over £30 million to get a £24 million fee. And that's a heck of a stretch even with blue and white tinted glasses on. 

So £24 million really isnt going to happen. In fact I'm pretty sure the fee will be under the £20 million mark. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

Not going to happen. 

As in there is no way it's going to be 24 million as a transfer fee. Go to a Premier League club , quite possibly, but not for that type of fee. 

Firstly I'm not too sure he's worth that. It's been a good 12-18 months for him but it's really only in that time he has shone. Given his weaknesses, his wastefulness and struggles with one on one I can't see him being worth above the £20 million mark.

More significantly he's in the last year of his contract which easily knocks a third off his value minimum. Admittedly fag packed maths but you look at all last year of the contract sales and it is significantly less than their one value, so assuming a third is knocked off is not an unreasonable assumption.

So let's assume that he is worth 24 million (though am not convinced) being in his last year that would garner a fee of around £16 million. Heck to get £24 million in his last year of his contract he would have to be worth well north of £30 million which he clearly isn't. Even if we generously allow for depreciation of a quarter for final year of contract we are still looking at him being worth over £30 million to get a £24 million fee. And that's a heck of a stretch even with blue and white tinted glasses on. 

So £24 million really isnt going to happen. In fact I'm pretty sure the fee will be under the £20 million mark. 

And there's a rumoured 40% sell-on to factor in. 

23 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

And there's a rumoured 40% sell-on to factor in. 

Indeed, that makes things even worse. Even if we do get 24 million for him - which we really, definitely, won't - that would still work out as about 14-17 million (depending on whether it's a sell on on the transfer fee or just profit). Good but still not in the same league. 

More likely, with my most optimistic calculation of a £20 million pound sale, we'd be looking at 13 million, and if it's my more realistic calculation of £16 million we'd be looking at around 12. And 12 million as we have discovered, does not buy a decent striker round these parts...