BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

2 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I've thought for a long time that our achilles heal is with the full backs not being able to defend balls into the box. 

Neither Bell nor Douglas - and to a degree Nyambe - are adept at blocking crosses, and never seem to bust a gut trying to do so.

It's probably also down to how the team is set up to defend as a whole.

Hmm I have to disagree.

Nyambe does block crosses but he has to defend 2 players the whole time.

Bell I agree with, he just never blocks a cross.

But then again our midfielders never pressure when the opposition are on our edge of box.

• Like 1

Bell is also hopeless in possession. He gives the ball away 90% of the time so even if he was the world's best tackler, if he just invites pressure back on the defence, what's the point. 

Pickering will be 1st choice, Douglas will be signed if money allows for the experience and know how whilst having the delivery. Bells only chance is is if Douglas remains too costly. I'd rather Downing played back up to Pickering in that scenario!

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Interceptions & Defensive Positioning:

Tackling:

Attacking Compilation:

Crewe Analysis/Write Up:

Crewe Fan:

You've nailed your balls to the mast on this lad Joe.  Hope for your sake he's a good defender at this level.

My view is that Mowbray has never bought a good defender whilst he's been here, so I'm guessing he won't change now.  He's young and Mowbray can dominate him, drop him and he won't moan etc, just a little chicken like Mogadon likes em. 

Poor sod.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Southside Rover said:

Pickering will be 1st choice, Douglas will be signed if money allows for the experience and know how whilst having the delivery. Bells only chance is is if Douglas remains too costly.

I dunno, I think Bell's only chance might be the contract he has supposedly been or is being offered.

I don't think many would say Ayala isn't a good defender particularly for the Championship its just he's been injured the whole time. Maybe by not going through pre season and then being thrown in to a fixture pile up but when fit, he's been a good defender at this level in his time with Norwich and Middlesbrough

Edited by Southside Rover
Spelling
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

I don't think many would say Ayala isn't a good defender particularly for the Championship its just he's been injured the whole time. Maybe by not going through pre season and then being thrown in to a fixture pile up but when fit, he's been a good defender at this level in his time with Norwich and Middlesbrough

In his prime he's an average championship centre back.  He's not in his prime as we all knew before he signed.  Therefore he is either injured or a lower championship centre back. Whichever, it's a waste of 10-15k per week.

A little tint of sadness when i saw Holtby's video. There's always that bit of little creative spark from him. Shame we don't see it more often enough, whether it's in the first eleven or from the bench.

But he's a genuine guy, and still only 30. Wishing him all the best.

It's nice for the club to do videos like these. I hope Bennett gets one too.

• Like 4

Holtby highlights the problem with signing planers from Euro leagues and taking punts on injury prone guys no matter how much talent they might have.

They are just too damn fragile for this English Championship and the demands of it. Plus you'd assume the high levels of training that goes with it.

If we had a big budget/parachute money and an already good midfield, one where someone like him could just give us another option for a dozen games a season and a few subs then fair enough. Not the case here though we need every drop we can squeeze from players and budget and we need horses for courses.

Best option imo as seen with the likes of Elliot & Reed before him is too loan in bits of real quality. Then of course the real key to it all, one where we fall down too often, is use them frigging properly !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I found the fanfare and sadness underneath the Holtby video to be a little strange, I think thats just the modern day culture on social media but you would have thought that Shearer was leaving!

They can't put "German International " on the PR now. Fully expect our Belgian International to feck off too.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Evans leaving.

So hard to care.

Despite the need for better players than Evans, this will be a decision based on wages and we will end up with someone cheaper/worse.

A complete clear out, even cutting our cloth, would at least mean something if it were for a clean slate with a new manager. The idea that Mowbray will get another go at rebuilding a squad is criminal. This could be the start of a new three year cycle - cue a two year contract extension to give him the time to do so… 🤦

…which would be the death knell for the club and would all but end my interest in all things Rovers.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

So hard to care.

Despite the need for better players than Evans, this will be a decision based on wages and we will end up with someone cheaper/worse.

A complete clear out, even cutting our cloth, would at least mean something if it were for a clean slate with a new manager. The idea that Mowbray will get another go at rebuilding a squad is criminal. This could be the start of a new three year cycle - cue a two year contract extension to give him the time to do so… 🤦

…which would be the death knell for the club and would all but and my interest in all things Rovers.

The saddest thing, in my view, is that the Coventry cabal don't really grasp the amount of damage they are doing, over and above the 11-years of Loon hurt. They are obliterating long standing fans fortitude. I for one ain't going back any time soon.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

The saddest thing, in my view, is that the Coventry cabal don't really grasp the amount of damage they are doing, over and above the 11-years of Loon hurt. They are obliterating long standing fans fortitude. I for one ain't going back any time soon.

The may well grasp it, they just don’t care.

Back when Kean was here there were enough fans to make a meaningful stand and a PL status to preserve.

I will never really forgive those fans who didn’t stand up when it mattered and when there was at least a passing media interest.

We are now back in that same situation but without the numbers to make it work, or interest from the media (even the local media would look the other way) and no pride to fight for.

Mowbray sits there pretending, or even convincing himself, that he can turn things around when we all know he can’t.

I have never been a Mowbray fan and I was gutted when we brought him in (at a time when we were trying to stay up and has been an abject failure at Coventry) but I no longer have any respect for the man. Nobody would have expected him to walk away… until he said he would. And now he won’t, despite him now being the burden he told us he didn’t want us to be - on account of the respect he had for this club. Lies.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I found the fanfare and sadness underneath the Holtby video to be a little strange, I think thats just the modern day culture on social media but you would have thought that Shearer was leaving!

That was this time last year for Danny Graham, thought they were going to retire his shirt... I suppose a decade of mediocrity does this to a club (and fanbase).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The may well grasp it, they just don’t care.

Back when Kean was here there were enough fans to make a meaningful stand and a PL status to preserve.

I will never really forgive those fans who didn’t stand up when it mattered and when there was at least a passing media interest.

We are now back in that same situation but without the numbers to make it work, our interest the media (even the local media would look the other way) and no pride to fight for.

Mowbray sits there pretending, or even convincing himself, that he can turn things around when we all know he can’t.

I have never been a Mowbray fan and I was gutted when we brought him in (at a time when we were trying to stay up and has been an abject failure at Coventry) but I no longer have any respect for the man. Nobody would have expected him to walk away… until he said he would. And now he won’t, despite him now being the burden he told us he didn’t want us to be - on account of the respect he had for this club. Lies.

We didn't even furlough him.  It's now pension time. Greedy deceitful fucker.

• Like 1