Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Bell is terrible. Douglas has proven over his career he has much more talent than Bell, but I don't think our style of play suits him at all. He's too slow and one of his primary attributes, crossing, is wasted here with our tallest strikers out on the wings and Armstrong in the middle. Just another muddled signing from TM that makes no sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly I'm at a point where I just can't get excited about new signings as long as Mowbray is in charge. Even if the signee appears impressive I already know his impact will be neutered by Mowbray's

Hi all. Would like to thank anyone and everyone who has given my work a read over the last few days. As you can probably tell it took a very long time to do and a lot of late nights around my full tim

Fast forwards 12 months.... 'We lost the quality of Holtby and the goals of Armstrong last summer along with the regular right back and the experience of Johnson.  It's a sad day for the club but

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Bell is terrible. Douglas has proven over his career he has much more talent than Bell, but I don't think our style of play suits him at all. He's too slow and one of his primary attributes, crossing, is wasted here with our tallest strikers out on the wings and Armstrong in the middle. Just another muddled signing from TM that makes no sense.

People are comparing the attributes of Bell and Douglas, which seem to be speed or crossing the ball. Personally I want my defenders primary asset, to be the ability to defend. Get rid of both. I hope/pray Pickering can defend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rigger said:

People are comparing the attributes of Bell and Douglas, which seem to be speed or crossing the ball. Personally I want my defenders primary asset, to be the ability to defend. Get rid of both. I hope/pray Pickering can defend.

With the way Mowbray supposedly wants us to play, our fullbacks need to be athletic if not super speedy, so being slow is a problem. Crossing is irrelevent due to Armstrong being our focal point and Brereton/Gallagher rarely being in the box to get on the end of anything.

Defending ability would be nice but arguably pointless under a manager who has never in his entire career been able to set up a team to defend well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rigger said:

People are comparing the attributes of Bell and Douglas, which seem to be speed or crossing the ball. Personally I want my defenders primary asset, to be the ability to defend. Get rid of both. I hope/pray Pickering can defend.

This.

What use is one without the other !  Being able to skin a man with pace going forwards or bang in good crosses and set pieces are just a bonus. Defending is the primary job and i'd be interested to see the stats on that between both. Doubt that's something Mowbray would crow about like he does the possession stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've thought for a long time that our achilles heal is with the full backs not being able to defend balls into the box. 

Neither Bell nor Douglas - and to a degree Nyambe - are adept at blocking crosses, and never seem to bust a gut trying to do so.

It's probably also down to how the team is set up to defend as a whole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rigger said:

People are comparing the attributes of Bell and Douglas, which seem to be speed or crossing the ball. Personally I want my defenders primary asset, to be the ability to defend. Get rid of both. I hope/pray Pickering can defend.

I must say that my worry is with everything I've heard about Pickering is how good he is going forward, I hope he can defend too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I've thought for a long time that our achilles heal is with the full backs not being able to defend balls into the box. 

Neither Bell nor Douglas - and to a degree Nyambe - are adept at blocking crosses, and never seem to bust a gut trying to do so.

It's probably also down to how the team is set up to defend as a whole.

Hmm I have to disagree.

Nyambe does block crosses but he has to defend 2 players the whole time.

Bell I agree with, he just never blocks a cross.

But then again our midfielders never pressure when the opposition are on our edge of box.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interceptions & Defensive Positioning:


Tackling:

Attacking Compilation:

 

Crewe Analysis/Write Up:

Crewe Fan:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell is also hopeless in possession. He gives the ball away 90% of the time so even if he was the world's best tackler, if he just invites pressure back on the defence, what's the point. 

Pickering will be 1st choice, Douglas will be signed if money allows for the experience and know how whilst having the delivery. Bells only chance is is if Douglas remains too costly. I'd rather Downing played back up to Pickering in that scenario!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Interceptions & Defensive Positioning:


Tackling:

Attacking Compilation:

 

Crewe Analysis/Write Up:

Crewe Fan:

 

 

You've nailed your balls to the mast on this lad Joe.  Hope for your sake he's a good defender at this level.

My view is that Mowbray has never bought a good defender whilst he's been here, so I'm guessing he won't change now.  He's young and Mowbray can dominate him, drop him and he won't moan etc, just a little chicken like Mogadon likes em. 

Poor sod.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Southside Rover said:

Pickering will be 1st choice, Douglas will be signed if money allows for the experience and know how whilst having the delivery. Bells only chance is is if Douglas remains too costly.

I dunno, I think Bell's only chance might be the contract he has supposedly been or is being offered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JohnGo said:

Ronan Curtis linked with Rovers

Thanks John

He stepped up from the Irish league, so could perhaps do so again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't think many would say Ayala isn't a good defender particularly for the Championship its just he's been injured the whole time. Maybe by not going through pre season and then being thrown in to a fixture pile up but when fit, he's been a good defender at this level in his time with Norwich and Middlesbrough

Edited by Southside Rover
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

I don't think many would say Ayala isn't a good defender particularly for the Championship its just he's been injured the whole time. Maybe by not going through pre season and then being thrown in to a fixture pile up but when fit, he's been a good defender at this level in his time with Norwich and Middlesbrough

In his prime he's an average championship centre back.  He's not in his prime as we all knew before he signed.  Therefore he is either injured or a lower championship centre back. Whichever, it's a waste of 10-15k per week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little tint of sadness when i saw Holtby's video. There's always that bit of little creative spark from him. Shame we don't see it more often enough, whether it's in the first eleven or from the bench.

But he's a genuine guy, and still only 30. Wishing him all the best.

It's nice for the club to do videos like these. I hope Bennett gets one too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holtby highlights the problem with signing planers from Euro leagues and taking punts on injury prone guys no matter how much talent they might have.

They are just too damn fragile for this English Championship and the demands of it. Plus you'd assume the high levels of training that goes with it.

If we had a big budget/parachute money and an already good midfield, one where someone like him could just give us another option for a dozen games a season and a few subs then fair enough. Not the case here though we need every drop we can squeeze from players and budget and we need horses for courses.

Best option imo as seen with the likes of Elliot & Reed before him is too loan in bits of real quality. Then of course the real key to it all, one where we fall down too often, is use them frigging properly !

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the fanfare and sadness underneath the Holtby video to be a little strange, I think thats just the modern day culture on social media but you would have thought that Shearer was leaving!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I found the fanfare and sadness underneath the Holtby video to be a little strange, I think thats just the modern day culture on social media but you would have thought that Shearer was leaving!

They can't put "German International " on the PR now. Fully expect our Belgian International to feck off too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

They can't put "German International " on the PR now. Fully expect our Belgian International to feck off too.  

That maybe the reason why Pears was signed.....

Oh my god 🤣🤣🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Fantastic news. Have a horrible feeling Johnson will get a renewed deal, but hope I’m wrong.

I cannot believe he  was with us for eight years, 218 games. Bet he has a nice (but tasteless) house.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Evans leaving.

So hard to care.

Despite the need for better players than Evans, this will be a decision based on wages and we will end up with someone cheaper/worse.

A complete clear out, even cutting our cloth, would at least mean something if it were for a clean slate with a new manager. The idea that Mowbray will get another go at rebuilding a squad is criminal. This could be the start of a new three year cycle - cue a two year contract extension to give him the time to do so… 🤦

…which would be the death knell for the club and would all but end my interest in all things Rovers.

Edited by Stuart
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • K-Hod pinned this topic
  • K-Hod locked this topic
  • K-Hod unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.