BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

36 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Evans leaving.

No sleep lost over Evans leaving.

But our remaining midfield options are pretty injury prone (as was Evans) 

We've lacked a proper good centre mid for years.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 2

Think we can see this is going to go bad. Not because of Evans leaving, but because it is abundantly clear that Mowbray wanted to keep him and yet hasn't even been able to offer him terms.

I think Venkys have, quite rightly, given up on Mowbray (probably at least 12 months later than the rest of us but they got there in the end). Unfortunately for us their response to that is to pull up the drawbridge, go silent, no more money and no approval to do anything so instead the club is left washing its own face and skint.

They did this when Bowyer failed to get us up and so they went quiet and he was left with no money signing Bengali Fode Koita and Nathan Delfouneso whilst Gestede and Cairney were sold from underneath him. 

They'll do it again now - no more money - no contract extensions. Promote from within and work to whatever pitiful budget they cobble together down there. Expect Armstrong, Lenihan, Nyambe and Kaminski to be sold as a minimum.

I'm not playing this game any more. Not going through a summer of this and listening to Mowbray and Waggott telling us their sob stories. 

I'll save my season ticket money and spend it on a much needed holiday.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

In his prime he's an average championship centre back.  He's not in his prime as we all knew before he signed.  Therefore he is either injured or a lower championship centre back. Whichever, it's a waste of 10-15k per week.

I disagree he was average. At this level in his prime as you say, there were few better in the league and he was very much part of two promotion campaigns to the Premier league. Liverpool Middlesbrough and Norwich all must have seen that in him and at the time were not average clubs.

Is he Premier League quality no, is he top end championship we don't know as he hasn't played but I'd suspect not now. But in his prime at this level he was better than average.

Injury prone of course but that doesn't mean he's a poor defender, just fragile.

12 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

I disagree he was average. At this level in his prime as you say, there were few better in the league and he was very much part of two promotion campaigns to the Premier league. Liverpool Middlesbrough and Norwich all must have seen that in him and at the time were not average clubs.

Is he Premier League quality no, is he top end championship we don't know as he hasn't played

You've contradicted yourself there 

I've seen him down Ewood many a time over the years,  my eyes say he's average championship in his prime and Mulgrewesque now

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I wonder if Evans, Holtby, Trybull, Elliott, Downing, Johnson and Bennett will all go? That's 7 midfielders!

That will leave us with Rothwell, Travis, Davenport, Buckley so we'll need to sign at least two more.

We need a good defensive midfielder who will protect the back 4. 

Trybull, Evans and Johnson never was good enough 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I wonder if Evans, Holtby, Trybull, Elliott, Downing, Johnson and Bennett will all go? That's 7 midfielders!

That will leave us with Rothwell, Travis, Davenport, Buckley so we'll need to sign at least two more.

Any other year I'd be absolutely delighted to be chopping so much dead wood (Elliott excluded obviously!). With Mowbray in charge and the money from India looking likely to be dried up I'm petrified at what the midfield will look like next season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Heard a rumour Ryan might turn up at the nobbers.

Absolutely shameful if that happens and it only reflects on one thing, the management here.

If that didn't make the Midtable Messiah's little bunch of clueless groupies wake up then nothing ever would.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We need a good defensive midfielder who will protect the back 4. 

Trybull, Evans and Johnson never was good enough 

What isn't good enough is this manager and his coaching staff.

Everything else flows from that.

Doesn't matter who we sign or play if the dugout stays the same.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

JRC, Chapman, Dolan

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Me and yourself want a change a manager now. Hopefully it's happened after Saturday game. We see. But whoever the manager is doesn't stop the fact we need a good defensive midfielder signing. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Everything else flows from that.

Doesn't matter who we sign or play if the dugout stays the same.

As will the tactics, the tombola and the couldn't give a shit win lose or draw attitude.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

JRC, Chapman, Dolan

I am not sure JRC or Chapman will be here either. There has been a pause put on all expenditure and commitiing to any new contracts by Venky's

The rumours presently in India are that Venky's are in discussions with a fellow IPL owning billionaire to come in as an investor into Rovers. If these rumours are true, Venky's won't be making any financial decisions concerning Us.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Already folk are out in force on social media saying our tiny budget and cost cutting will be a ‘good thing’ as it means we can ‘play the youngsters’.

The same bunch will be saying give Tony til Christmas, then the summer.

So naive aren't they?

I know 'going with the kids' is the cool or modern thing to do but it is suicide in this division.

To survive or get out of it you need hardened experience in your ranks.

Especially when here the motive is financial rather than football.

Mowbray failed miserably at Coventry when he went with youth and his epitaph was regretting not bringing in experience.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, phili said:

I am not sure JRC or Chapman will be here either. There has been a pause put on all expenditure and commitiing to any new contracts by Venky's

The rumours presently in India are that Venky's are in discussions with a fellow IPL owning billionaire to come in as an investor into Rovers. If these rumours are true, Venky's won't be making any financial decisions concerning Us.

We can but hope.

Sadly I don't think this will be happening. They won't be so proactive and won't relinquish control.

Any billionaire pumping money in will expect a say in the running of the club which Venkys won't allow.

We're just back to paralysis stage as per summer 2012 and summer 2015.

41 minutes ago, phili said:

Could that be good news at last or am I just totally naive?

Could this be our saviour or just another idiot?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, phili said:

Very very interesting. 

It does make some sense that they would do that, is this the end game for Venkys?

• Backroom

If they want to bring somebody in then they had better do it sharpish. A lot easier to convince someone to invest when you're only one division apart from the PL, rather than two divisions apart - and if TM stays it's highly likely imo that this time next year we will be two divisions apart again. 

• Like 2

According to Wikipedia Evans has started 184 league games since he signed in 2013. In the same period he has played 41 games for Northern Ireland. Roughly for every 4.5 games he played for us he has played a game for Northern Ireland.

I know Wikipedia is always the most accurate but I'm sure we all understand the theme here.

• Like 6

Wasn't there a rumour a year or so ago that they were looking to get a new investor on board? I'm sure I read something along those lines. I really hope there is something in it. They currently don't seem to realise or care that they are not too far away from a Premier League windfall were they to have promotion as a serious aim. A new investor might be able to get that through to them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Wasn't there a rumour a year or so ago that they were looking to get a new investor on board? I'm sure I read something along those lines. I really hope there is something in it. They currently don't seem to realise or care that they are not too far away from a Premier League windfall were they to have promotion as a serious aim. A new investor might be able to get that through to them.

I'd assume that no new investor could possibly be as thick as what we've got. But you never know I suppose!

4 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Any investor seriously thinking of any return on their money would be expecting PL football for an appreciable amount of time.

It isn't going to happen, even a one season term in PL would not create a windfall, sadly.

2 hours ago, phili said:

That’s note right. Anyone wanting investment would have to be seen to be committing to the project and therefore I can’t agree this scenario is going to be accurate