BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Is he better than Carter ? Only time will tell.

I like Hayden, I personally want him to go and play football every week somewhere for the season. Playing 3rd fiddle to Ryan Nyambe and 2nd fiddle to Daniel Ayala for the season is poor for his development. I'd rather a lad from another club be sat on our bench waiting than one of ours.

Just my 2p.

Does sound a bit like carter has looked so far, as for Clarkson he clearly looks like he has no experience. We are the ones who have to now give it to him though possibly at the expense of one or two of our own at times.

Funny how Mowbray would only bring in back up players to his favs when sigining players before. All of a sudden big club kid loaness can walk in the team in front of our own.

A bit of virtue signalling going on here.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Plenty moaned about the Clarkson deal because he's got no first team experience. Van Hecke comes with Dutch 1st league experience at both CB and RB so I really don't mind this one. At least 6ft 3" from what I can see and a nice threat from set pieces going off some of the clips I've seen from corners at Heerenveen just now.

With Wharton out for a while longer, Ayala having a very poor record of staying fit, Nyambe & JRC always getting injured, I think a somewhat experienced loan player to cover CB/RB is a sensible option. Even if all he is is a steady option and nothing more. Won't be paying too much.

I can't pretend it's one that excites me, but I'm surprised more of the people who bemoaned the lack of experience in Clarkson aren't giving some more optimism for this one.

The only optimism you could have is blind optimism. There’s no way of knowing if they are any good or not for a while.

You could say that’s always been the case for a while but this is the most threadbare squad we’ve had for quite a while so people are going to be more critical.

If we are going to try and cut corners by loaning unknown quantities, i don’t know why they don’t just promote our own youth and Venkys should just be honest and say they are no longer willing to invest in the club, they should just say it. It’s not like a snowball will reach Pune without melting.

If they say tell it as it is then we can adjust expectations as less than 12 months ago the manager was talking promotion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, booth said:

and Venkys should just be honest and say they are no longer willing to invest in the club, they should just say it

That's not what this is. We aren't spending because we're right on the borderline of an enforced embargo. The club has placed itself in a self-imposed embargo to avoid the humiliation of a publicly embarrassing 3rd party embargo.

Once the Armstrong money affects the accounts, we'll probably see a few million spent. 

£4-5m for a striker is a drop in the ocean to the Venkys, they simply don't care. We're not spending because of other issues.

43 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

Recent overview from his time in Holland - 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-track-no-nonsense-brighton-4798687.amp

Another young, raw defender. Just what we need....

"Van Hecke is a strong, capable central defender, he's vocal for his age and is tall, and has a good physique'.

"His passing is decent, and he's not shy to go into duels both on his feet and in the air. He's not the most technically sound player but he is definitely not incapable of dribbling, has a reasonable first touch, and he isn't slow. He has no major shortcomings".

"He still needs to read the game better though and play more cleverly. He does make some fouls here that are not smart fouls, although they are physical fouls more than errors due to for example positioning".

Funny the things people see when they have their narratives 

23 minutes ago, booth said:

The only optimism you could have is blind optimism. There’s no way of knowing if they are any good or not for a while.

You could say that’s always been the case for a while but this is the most threadbare squad we’ve had for quite a while so people are going to be more critical.

If we are going to try and cut corners by loaning unknown quantities, i don’t know why they don’t just promote our own youth and Venkys should just be honest and say they are no longer willing to invest in the club, they should just say it. It’s not like a snowball will reach Pune without melting.

If they say tell it as it is then we can adjust expectations as less than 12 months ago the manager was talking promotion.

Because the people paid to scout these signings think they are better than what we have? The fact they are at PL clubs would suggest they are 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, booth said:

More loans of mostly untried youngsters.

Jerome Anderson’s advice still being heeded by the owners.

Needed a good centre half, an experienced central midfielder and a replacement for Armstrong.

Instead it seems we’re trying to build another under 23 side… For 12 months.

If @JoeHhas blind optimism, then some of you have blind negativity. For the love of God why can't people watch a player play before judging them?? 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Plenty moaned about the Clarkson deal because he's got no first team experience. Van Hecke comes with Dutch 1st league experience at both CB and RB so I really don't mind this one. At least 6ft 3" from what I can see and a nice threat from set pieces going off some of the clips I've seen from corners at Heerenveen just now.

With Wharton out for a while longer, Ayala having a very poor record of staying fit, Nyambe & JRC always getting injured, I think a somewhat experienced loan player to cover CB/RB is a sensible option. Even if all he is is a steady option and nothing more. Won't be paying too much.

I can't pretend it's one that excites me, but I'm surprised more of the people who bemoaned the lack of experience in Clarkson aren't giving some more optimism for this one.

Had this discussion with someone else in another thread. I said there and will say again - a lot of the loan deals on an individual basis you could make a case for. This lad is no different. 

The issue is that the whole strategy is built around them leading to an overall lack of experience, no continuity and bugger all assets. It's shunting all our problems further down the line to cause even more problems. Quite simply it's no way to run a club and is overall going to hurt us, even if some of the deals make sense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Isn't that the idea of haggling.

Yes. Don't know who the player is but hopefully its the permenant striker we need going forward to challenge Gallagher for that 9 role

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

No,  Van Hecke confirmed 

Welcome to the club Van Hecke

40 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I can see him playing more at right back especially if Nyambe isn't fit going forward. 

Yes he is tall defender so should help us defensively and attacking wise from set pieces. 

37 minutes ago, rigger said:

Is he better than Carter ? Only time will tell.

Carter is here for the long term and he will be solid defender for us. And I want him here for this season and playing his part

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If @JoeHhas blind optimism, then some of you have blind negativity. For the love of God why can't people watch a player play before judging them?? 

People can make a comment on the amount of experience a player has prior to them signing, surely?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Had this discussion with someone else in another thread. I said there and will say again - a lot of the loan deals on an individual basis you could make a case for. This lad is no different. 

The issue is that the whole strategy is built around them leading to an overall lack of experience, no continuity and bugger all assets. It's shunting all our problems further down the line to cause even more problems. Quite simply it's no way to run a club and is overall going to hurt us, even if some of the deals make sense. 

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd struck some potential loan to buy deals.

Next season it could be same again or Vs grant a bigger wage budget after FFP has been soothed a bit. Then Mowbray ( lets face it he's here forever ) will be hoovering up freebies to rebuild.

I actually they stick to the youth policy now, just not based on helping the big boys.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I like Hayden, I personally want him to go and play football every week somewhere for the season. Playing 3rd fiddle to Ryan Nyambe and 2nd fiddle to Daniel Ayala for the season is poor for his development. I'd rather a lad from another club be sat on our bench waiting than one of ours.

Just my 2p.

Is the other clubs player going to be sat on the bench. Or straight into the team because we change our formation to suit that.

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

People can make a comment on the amount of experience a player has prior to them signing, surely?

This guy has senior first team experience and is highly rated. Elliott had practically zero. 

I don't see it as being above actually watching the player paly when it comes to judging their ability to play in this team. What it leads to is people looking for him to make an error so they can be proved "right" 

Bloody hell had to google Van Hecke to know who he was 

I don’t know owt about him so won’t comment but it’s a bit odd we’ve been in for one Brighton lad, he’s unfit, and we’ve ended with another one. Suppose it’s a case of being in contact and getting in first 

it’s more legs in the defending department but I hope he doesn’t unseat Carter or Wharton when fit 

Id rather not develop Brighton’s players when we have decent ones on our books 

Welcome Van Hecke 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If Carter goes on loan he will replace another teams player. This is how it works 

You play your best 11. Only PL teams have the privilege of playing reserves in cup games and some have the privilege of ding so and still expecting to win it! 

Of course we can make the judgement after watching if the scouting department got it right and these loans are better than what we have 

It might not be the case, but as of now, we don't know and really have to assume going off the level these lads are at that they are better 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Because we are expecting young lads to come in, with little to no experience and replace our own players and improve the team. Last year we struck lucky with two of them, but unlucky with the other. One of those was one in a million. If all of them are Branthwaite, we’re screwed.

We’ve just lost a prolific striker, as well as several others and we are replacing them with complete unknowns. Armstrong still hasn’t been replaced which is a big worry.

It’s pretty obvious based on recent history that the JA grand plan is still ongoing. This was always the plan as stated when Venkys took over, to keep the club ticking over with cheap loans. Madame Desai said it herself. And FFP has been a help for them with this, not a hindrance. It’s a perfect excuse.

It’s not about any one player or giving someone a chance, it’s about our overall transfer policy. Common knowledge of the game tells us it’s unsustainable.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Just my 2p.

Except a lad from another club won't be sat on our bench - the only time that happened with a loanee was with Branthwaite after he proved himself to be massively out of his depth. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

They can. JPvH has some good experience, but the people who commented heavily on Clarkson's lack of experience are quite quiet now

15 hours ago, AJW said:

A goal poacher required for me , Gally and Diaz will run all day work hard for the team and give defenders a physical challenge but neither will score more  than 10-12 goals a season we need a finisher , a Dwight Gayle/Jordan Rhodes type somebody who works the penalty box 

and a left back for me , Pickering has nobody to back him up or challenge him , i have not been mega impressed with him so far , giving him the benefit of doubt he needs time to adjust to the step up in class but also needs competition 

Haven't they scored 5 between them in the first month? So they're a quarter of the way there already to your target (they'll surpass it). 

We need an option off the bench upfront. We absolutely don't need a Rhodes - great at what he does, but can't move. Give me a big lump or a quick lad (or ideally someone that combines both!) to change things up / give Brereton and Gallagher a rest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

£4-5m for a striker is a drop in the ocean to the Venkys, they simply don't care. We're not spending because of other issues.

I’ll believe it when I see it, but my other theory is that they’ve given up with throwing money at Mowbray and they’ll have someone else in charge next season who will get some transfer cash.

I’m not overly fussed with them spending £5m on players. Sensible decent buys would do for the most part. It would be nice to get an above average signing now and again but other teams seem to remain competitive in this league without breaking the bank.

• Like 1