BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Just now, Tom said:

I’m a little disappointed we didn’t loan out the likes of Magloire, Cirino and co, would have been good to get some experience given game time here will be limited with the loanees filling the match day squad 

Isn’t there another efl loan window until October?

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Is there a solid argument that we are stronger in any position other than left back?

Keepers - same 

Right back - lost back up in Bennett, otherwise same, Nyambe near end of contract but Pike and Carter showing promise 

Central Defence - lost THB and (thankfully) Branthwaite, brought in the Dutch lad. Carter and Wharton seem to be a future pairing but Ayala staying fit (big if) is crucial - Lenihan nearing end of contract 

Left Back - Bell and Douglas gone, neither a big loss, Pickering looks ok and new lad could be a good un - progress 

Central midfield - lost a playmaker in Holtby and backup options in Evans and Trybull (neither a huge loss) brought in Clarkson who seems to occupy similar positions to Buckley

Wing forwards - brought in Poveda and Kedra, could be good but big ask to replace Elliotts contributions

Strikers - lost a 29 goal man, not replaced at all

It seems we are now reliant on a number of attacking players chipping in with goals but the concern is we’ve lost 40 or so goals from last season and brought in players with less than a handful of career goals (maybe even games) between them 

Yes on paper it looks like one of the all time worst transfer windows.

But... It's possible that the signings turn out better than expected in the same way Douglas and Trybull turned out to be worse than expected last year. Also it's possible suddenly players who looked terrible before (hello Gallagher) suddenly look better as they are played in proper positions.

Will not really know until November. But I'm not hopeful.

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think that's quite harsh. Both of those people you refer to in such a derogatory way gave up their time tonight, for free, to get involved with a live show for the benefit of the supports and they were really great. 

For what its worth, you only have to look at the reaction to the whole Rich vs Sam Gallagher debacle that unfolded where he was scolded by the club and the players for daring to say he hadn't done that well, to see that them pushing harder wouldn't really get us anywhere.

It isn't harsh at all and I'm sure they were good for that but they have an opportunity during their day job to get the majority fan feeling across to the management team and that isn't happening time after time. I've seen enough to know some very obvious and uncomfortable questions are avoided.

• Like 2

Just now, Ghost7 said:

It isn't harsh at all and I'm sure they were good for that but they have an opportunity during their day job to get the majority fan feeling across to the management team and that isn't happening time after time. I've seen enough to know some very obvious and uncomfortable questions are avoided.

What would it gain? I don't think the club would respond very well and I don't thing it would enact any change? Steve Waggott for example may annoy some but he's probably well aware of how the fans feel without Jaquob Crooke needing to point it out to him. I'm sure he receives a lot of emails and messages directly from those who are discontent

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

What would it gain? I don't think the club would respond very well and I don't thing it would enact any change? Steve Waggott for example may annoy some but he's probably well aware of how the fans feel without Jaquob Crooke needing to point it out to him. I'm sure he receives a lot of emails and messages directly from those who are discontent

What would it gain?

Last time they were called out it was the end of...

Hunt, Kean, Agnew, Singh, Shaw, Anderson all played out via media with constant pressure from the supporter groups. They were hit that many times with a left, they were begging for a right. 

• Like 6

Just now, JoeH said:

And what replaced those lot? We're sat here a decade later in the exact same scenario... There's one constant and some questions from reporters isn't going to see the owners leave.

Cant believe you are asking that, not sure of your age, but perhaps you was not old enough to remember what those who have departed did to this club?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Sorry mate but as soon as you start pointing fingers at fans, you’re done.

Glen has had more fingers pointed at him (and worse) than most.

I took it as him referring to Sharpe and Crooke as apologists.

I agree with your point though, but it works both ways. Fans who are boycotting, or “negative” get mocked, blamed and abused in certain quarters. The more positive element get more stick on here.

A bit more unity would be brilliant, but it’s a big ask.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 6

Just now, JoeH said:

I think you've misunderstood the question then.

I fully understand the point you was making, hence it was the national journalist making trips to the FA, Parliament and writing the true feelings. It was the national journalist at press conferences asking the tough questions.

We as fans were reliant on the national media both here and abroad.

Venkys are the constant, but also the ones funding the club, we are sadly reliant on them, and with no long list of potential buyers, need them. However that does not mean the football administration should not be held accountable

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can't really explain why they're still here. There is a non-sinister reason that I've heard put forward and it may be correct but if true it flies in the face of common sense and good business practice.

What is it that you've heard?

11 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Glen has had more fingers pointed at him (and worse) than most.

I took it as him referring to Sharpe and Crooke as apologists.

I agree with your point though, but it works both ways. Fans who are boycotting, or “negative” get mocked, blamed and abused in certain quarters. The more positive element get more stick on here.

A bit more unity would be brilliant, but it’s a big ask.

I guess it’s words like apologist that bring up old arguments.

I think most people would respect others choices really but you’re correct that there’s a minority that’ll blame each other.

Overall though - I don’t think it’s been as bad as the general feedback here - I mean we’re banking on Gally or Diaz properly stepping up but then that’s why they cost more initially - there’s obviously a bucket load of goals in either or both… or neither, and that’s football.

Like any club, we’re looking for improvement in our senior players, development of our younger talents and a slice of luck - ie a year without any season ending injuries!

Hope that minor expectation and actual slight “content” doesn’t get portrayed as support for obvious overall incompetence!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBiz said:

I guess it’s words like apologist that bring up old arguments.

I think most people would respect others choices really but you’re correct that there’s a minority that’ll blame each other.

Overall though - I don’t think it’s been as bad as the general feedback here - I mean we’re banking on Gally or Diaz properly stepping up but then that’s why they cost more initially - there’s obviously a bucket load of goals in either or both… or neither, and that’s football.

Like any club, we’re looking for improvement in our senior players, development of our younger talents and a slice of luck - ie a year without any season ending injuries!

Hope that minor expectation and actual slight “content” doesn’t get portrayed as support for obvious overall incompetence!

Hey we've bought season tickets, we support the badge regardless.

I think everyone is hoping Brero and Sam come up with the goods, that these loans turn into excellent additions and the team is pushing up the table. 

I know when I go on a saturday, I go hoping we can win. That will never change.

Being underwhelmed is natural given where we have been where we have gone, and expectation of replacing our best player with at least a striker.

As supporters and in some cases paying supporters via tickets, merchandise etc, its only natural that we want value for the money and time we invest in our local club

• Like 3

Obviously the answer is a firm no, but seeing our squad laid out like that shows how weak and threadbare we look, especially in attack.

Out of those attacking 6, Poveda on Saturday is the only time that any of 3 of them has made a senior start. Even beyond that, Dolan looks miles away from being a regular Championship player, and Brereton and Gallagher are average. Would there be a case to suggest that our current attack is as weak as it has been in recent memory?

Screenshot_20210901-004450_Twitter.jpg

I think the alarming thing from the window is the response to TM's promise.

He stated we had a bench propped up with kids and the squad needed some help, in terms of bringing in experience to support the kids.

We've brought in more kids, despite our own under 23s performing very well at under 23 level last season, and no experienced players to support them.

What changed? Are what we brought in genuinely better than our own youth set up which is performing with great credit?

Where are the leaders in this squad now, if we get injuries to Lenihan and Ayala?

• Like 4

Very annoyed and frustrated by the lack of permanent striker signing not being signed and spending 500k on 23 years old left back. This should have not been allow to happen. Rovers transfer team and committee are to blame here for the lack of the permanent striker today. Questions need to be ask of the transfer committee and who is blame ultimately for the lack of striker. It could cost us if Gallagher and Brereton got injured at the same time. 

I do feel with this squad and if we play to our strengths like being solid defensively playing on the counter we can achieved a mid table finish. 

1 hour ago, Hi Mack said:

I’m hearing there has been a break down in the relationship between TM and Maggot. 

TM believes he’s being set up to fail with Maggot tying his hands behind his back.

I’ll try for a source but that’s come out of the club today.

Wonder if Waggott blocked some of Mowbray transfer targets today or ignore his suggestions and went with the transfer committee targets instead.

Wonder if Mowbray would win over this.

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I could have told everyone 12 months ago that contrary to popular belief on the MB... they can't stand each other.

Mowbray and Waggott you mean? 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I'm disappointed we've not signed a striker, but I'd have been equally disappointed if we'd splurged millions on another hit and hope like Brereton or Gallagher.

If the clubs new model is to strike when the right value deal is available and avoid paying well over the odds for "potential" then I can get behind it.

The fact that Tayo Edun came out of nowhere and got done at a fairly small fee suggests that this is what we're looking to do. I don't mind us avoiding paying millions on players but the model needs to be consistent and it needs to have longevity.

If the idea is £750k at most per player, 20-24 age bracket, less than 10kpw wages - fine, but I don't want to see us completely back track on it and sign a 33 year old on 40kpw next summer.

No one is asking for loads of money but a permanent striker for a couple of million pounds or less. Plenty of different options out there. All fans will have they own suggestions who we should have sign. 

Going forward I hope Rovers are better plan and organise for the next transfer windows. 

I have no problem with that model as long as you stick to him and have proper transfer, recruitment and scouting strategy in place to bring in the right players

Tbf, if you dont trust your manager and you are waiting for his contract to expire in order to get rid of him, would you give him money to invest in players he sees suitable for his style of play or would you wait and make them money available for whoever else comes next. Not that this is what is happening but I wouldn’t give any money to Mowbray myself so fair enough, I would have gotten rid ages ago thou. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

I think the alarming thing from the window is the response to TM's promise.

He stated we had a bench propped up with kids and the squad needed some help, in terms of bringing in experience to support the kids.

We've brought in more kids, despite our own under 23s performing very well at under 23 level last season, and no experienced players to support them.

What changed? Are what we brought in genuinely better than our own youth set up which is performing with great credit?

Where are the leaders in this squad now, if we get injuries to Lenihan and Ayala?

“Defenders are coming”. Different day same story 

• Like 2

While it would have been nice to sign a permanent striker, we have 12 million invested in center forwards. It’s the one place in our squad where money has actually been spent. The fact that we’re even talking about that part of the pitch shows the failure of the recruitment team.