Summer transfer window 2021.

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Seems an odd dig at the analysts with no evidence. Surely the fact he plays at Coventry points more to this being a Mowbray deal?

I don't think Ben Sheaf will be a bad signing.

Whereas if Mowbray was making the signing it'd be mostly shit.

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think at £250,000 with some add-ons, the Davenport deal has plenty of time to look great in the future. He looked good the other day and could continue to grow. Unlike BB and SG he doesn't have a stupid money move hanging over him. 

I think at times he has looked decent although I thought he didnt really take his chance at the weekend. He should have been given more starts in the last few games though over players like Evans, Johnson and Trybull who wont and/or shouldnt be here next season. His Rovers career which is 3 years old has not really got off the ground and like Ayala and Rankin Costello, he unfortunately seems to be made of glass.

The theory behind such deals (low fee youngsters to grow) does make sense although Davenport like Chapman has not worked out as we may have hoped.

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I don't think Ben Sheaf will be a bad signing.

Whereas if Mowbray was making the signing it'd be mostly shit.

I also want Mowbray out but its counter productive if whoever the manager is has his signings made above his head.

Bradley sodding Johnson. 

Just as I started to get happy about Evans and Bell going as well. 

Hard to see the logic behind this. He's looked unfit ever since he has joined us, another year on the clock won't do anything to help that either. 

His performances have been horrifically inconsistent. Very good 1 in 4, a liability 1 in 3. It's like russian roulette playing him in midfield. Not sure how performances warrant a contract extension. 

Then you have the past history of resigning Downing for a year which tanked. Seems stupid to try the same risky strategy with another aging player. 

Buggered if I know how a 34 (35?) year old fits into the journey and our plans. Especially one who is a dead weight in a third of the games he plays. Cannot see the logic of this whatsoever. 

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Ben Sheaf rumours seems to lack credibility. Spoken with a Coventry fan who says it’s a loan to buy deal they have and there’s an obligation apparently.

And what if the player doesn't want to sign for Coventry ?

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

According to a friend in Italy we've been offered a 6 ft 6 Nigerian centre forward Simy Nwankwo who plays for Crotone in Serie A for 800,000 Euros.

Crotone were relegated but the player scored 19 goals, only 2 less than Lukaku. Mowbray wasn't interested apparently.

Seems a fairly low risk punt at that price. Perhaps his Coventry/Boro connections weren't strong enough.

Quite the purple patch at the end of this season! Surely he'd be more expensive, and have better financial and sporting prospects in Italy? Or is the Championship still that financially bloated compared to the continental leagues?

Skärmavbild 2021-05-10 kl. 13.08.13.png

2 minutes ago, Commondore said:

Quite the purple patch at the end of this season! Surely he'd be more expensive, and have better financial and sporting prospects in Italy? Or is the Championship still that financially bloated compared to the continental leagues?

Skärmavbild 2021-05-10 kl. 13.08.13.png

I have absolutely no idea on either count, I'm only relaying what I've been told!

51 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Ben Sheaf rumours seems to lack credibility. Spoken with a Coventry fan who says it’s a loan to buy deal they have and there’s an obligation apparently.

There was only an obligation to buy when certain criteria was met. I far as I'm aware this wasnt met. This was appearances etc. The agreed price was £750,000

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A lot of spoof on here from "ITKS". Should "IDK" , as in I don't know. 

Say something enough times and it’ll eventually come true. 

It’s interesting that ITKs never disagree with each other - when one claims a signing is imminent, Jordan Rhodes or Bradley Dack is being sold, or TM is getting sacked, none of the others come out and say “that isn’t what I heard”. Maybe that’s because most of them have as much insight on the inner workings of BRFC as the rest of us. 

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Barry Douglas confirms Blackburn decision, Leeds return (tbrfootball.com)

At least Douglas isn't coming back. 

No Bell either apparently so another LB needed. 

One of the poorest and disappointing signings in recent years. Had high hopes for him and he was arguably worse than Amari.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dallydally said:

"worse than Amari"? Never in a million years. Bell is a League One level player at best. Douglas underachieved at Rovers bit has a much better CV 

That better CV really helped us out this year didn’t it...

Edited by Fraserkirky

Posted (edited)

Due to the complete mismanagement of contracts, it was always on the cards that one or two of Evans/Bennett/Downing/Johnson would be offered a new contract.

To replace all of them in one window would be a big enough job for a competent manager.

For an incompetent one, all the more so.

Edited by Wheelton Blue

Posted (edited)

Douglas was still better than Bell, even though he was a shadow of his former self

Anyone who disagrees , name 1 game where Bell played consistly well. Let's say an 8/10 performance. In his entire time here. I'm waiting. 

Douglas had some poor games, but clearly technically and positionally far superior to Bell. Was unlucky not to score a goal or two as well

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Douglas was still better than Bell, even though he was a shadow of his former self

Anyone who disagrees , name 1 game where Bell played consistly well. Let's say an 8/10 performance. I'm waiting. 

Douglas had some poor games, but clearly technically and positionally far superior to bell 

Can you give us the Douglas 8/10 games please?

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Bradley sodding Johnson. 

Just as I started to get happy about Evans and Bell going as well. 

Hard to see the logic behind this. He's looked unfit ever since he has joined us, another year on the clock won't do anything to help that either. 

His performances have been horrifically inconsistent. Very good 1 in 4, a liability 1 in 3. It's like russian roulette playing him in midfield. Not sure how performances warrant a contract extension. 

Then you have the past history of resigning Downing for a year which tanked. Seems stupid to try the same risky strategy with another aging player. 

Buggered if I know how a 34 (35?) year old fits into the journey and our plans. Especially one who is a dead weight in a third of the games he plays. Cannot see the logic of this whatsoever. 

The most confusing aspect of Mowbray's loyalty to Johnson is the type of player he is. He has never been a technically gifted player, at his best for Norwich he was a box to box, powerful goalscoring midfielder, a skillset that has massively waned with age. We want him to sit and start attacks.

I have never seen a player caught so often on the ball leading to dangerous situations.

Posted (edited)

The Barry Douglas situation sums up neatly the Mowbray curse on defenders at this club. He is clearly a decent player. Not under Mowbray's management though.

In his time in charge he has had Williams, Hart, Bell, Douglas, Cunningham, Ayala, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Wharton, Magloire, Tosin, Rodwell, Bennett, Nyambe, JRC, Caddis, Harwood-Bellis, Branthwaite, Buckley, Carter, Downing x 2 and Johnson in his defence.

How many of those have had positive reviews for their defensive ability whilst at Rovers?

Fact remains we have a manager who doesn't take defending seriously and couldn't organise a side to save his life.

Until that changes the conveyor belt of disappointing defenders will continue.

Put a McCarthy or Hughton on the training ground and things would improve immeasurably.

Edited by JHRover

14 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Due to the complete mismanagement of contracts, it was always on the cards that one or two of Evans/Bennett/Downing/Johnson would be offered a new contract.

To replace all of them in one window would be a big enough job for a competent manager.

For an incompetent one, all the more so.

I think that's very much the situation here and they've just weeded out the biggest earners first.

8 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Can you give us the Douglas 8/10 games please?

Douglas had some good games after a pretty shakey start. 

I know some of you are in the blinkered category now and it's all bad, but it wasn't..well not compared to Bell anyway. Dreadful player. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Anyone who disagrees , name 1 game where Bell played consistly well. Let's say an 8/10 performance. In his entire time here. I'm waiting. 

Douglas had some poor games, but clearly technically and positionally far superior to Bell. Was unlucky not to score a goal or two as well

Sassy!

I didn't watch but apparently Bell was good the last few games. I can't remember the same being said about Douglas at any point. 

I'm glad both are leaving.

Posted (edited)

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19290347.rovers-must-find-answers-transfer-dilemmas-says-mowbray/

Adam Reach mentioned, seemingly very much from a speculative perspective by Rich Sharpe in the absence of any genuine information, obviously its an easy link with him about to become a free agent and coming through at Boro.

A player capable of occasional spectacular goals but one who tends to do very little in the games I have watched him play in at Sheffield Wednesday. Not had the best couple of years.

We do need at least one or two midfielders who can regularly get goals from midfield, our current lot dont/havent done anywhere near enough. Rothwell with 3, Buckley with 1, Holtby with 0, Travis with 0, Downing with 0, Johnson with 3, Trybull with 0, Davenport with 1 and Evans with 0. The last 4 have more of an excuse having regularly played the most defensive of the 3 but we need to take the chance to have a clear out and we do need a better sitting midfielder but we also need players who can get goals.

Edited by roversfan99

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Sassy!

I didn't watch but apparently Bell was good the last few games. I can't remember the same being said about Douglas at any point. 

I'm glad both are leaving.

Douglas definetely had some decent games in one of our more positive runs. Disappointing compared to what we expected though. Bell might do something good, but he's not consistent in a game. He's not a good player. Too many weaknesses at this level. 

I would have kept Douglas as back up to Pickering, but I'm not too upset either are leaving. That's probably why he is leaving. Doesn't want to be back up.