BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

3 minutes ago, dallydally said:

"worse than Amari"? Never in a million years. Bell is a League One level player at best. Douglas underachieved at Rovers bit has a much better CV 

That better CV really helped us out this year didn’t it...

Edited by Fraserkirky

Due to the complete mismanagement of contracts, it was always on the cards that one or two of Evans/Bennett/Downing/Johnson would be offered a new contract.

To replace all of them in one window would be a big enough job for a competent manager.

For an incompetent one, all the more so.

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 1

Douglas was still better than Bell, even though he was a shadow of his former self

Anyone who disagrees , name 1 game where Bell played consistly well. Let's say an 8/10 performance. In his entire time here. I'm waiting. 

Douglas had some poor games, but clearly technically and positionally far superior to Bell. Was unlucky not to score a goal or two as well

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Douglas was still better than Bell, even though he was a shadow of his former self

Anyone who disagrees , name 1 game where Bell played consistly well. Let's say an 8/10 performance. I'm waiting. 

Douglas had some poor games, but clearly technically and positionally far superior to bell 

Can you give us the Douglas 8/10 games please?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Bradley sodding Johnson. 

Just as I started to get happy about Evans and Bell going as well. 

Hard to see the logic behind this. He's looked unfit ever since he has joined us, another year on the clock won't do anything to help that either. 

His performances have been horrifically inconsistent. Very good 1 in 4, a liability 1 in 3. It's like russian roulette playing him in midfield. Not sure how performances warrant a contract extension. 

Then you have the past history of resigning Downing for a year which tanked. Seems stupid to try the same risky strategy with another aging player. 

Buggered if I know how a 34 (35?) year old fits into the journey and our plans. Especially one who is a dead weight in a third of the games he plays. Cannot see the logic of this whatsoever. 

The most confusing aspect of Mowbray's loyalty to Johnson is the type of player he is. He has never been a technically gifted player, at his best for Norwich he was a box to box, powerful goalscoring midfielder, a skillset that has massively waned with age. We want him to sit and start attacks.

I have never seen a player caught so often on the ball leading to dangerous situations.

• Like 1

The Barry Douglas situation sums up neatly the Mowbray curse on defenders at this club. He is clearly a decent player. Not under Mowbray's management though.

In his time in charge he has had Williams, Hart, Bell, Douglas, Cunningham, Ayala, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Wharton, Magloire, Tosin, Rodwell, Bennett, Nyambe, JRC, Caddis, Harwood-Bellis, Branthwaite, Buckley, Carter, Downing x 2 and Johnson in his defence.

How many of those have had positive reviews for their defensive ability whilst at Rovers?

Fact remains we have a manager who doesn't take defending seriously and couldn't organise a side to save his life.

Until that changes the conveyor belt of disappointing defenders will continue.

Put a McCarthy or Hughton on the training ground and things would improve immeasurably.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Due to the complete mismanagement of contracts, it was always on the cards that one or two of Evans/Bennett/Downing/Johnson would be offered a new contract.

To replace all of them in one window would be a big enough job for a competent manager.

For an incompetent one, all the more so.

I think that's very much the situation here and they've just weeded out the biggest earners first.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Can you give us the Douglas 8/10 games please?

Douglas had some good games after a pretty shakey start. 

I know some of you are in the blinkered category now and it's all bad, but it wasn't..well not compared to Bell anyway. Dreadful player. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Anyone who disagrees , name 1 game where Bell played consistly well. Let's say an 8/10 performance. In his entire time here. I'm waiting. 

Douglas had some poor games, but clearly technically and positionally far superior to Bell. Was unlucky not to score a goal or two as well

Sassy!

I didn't watch but apparently Bell was good the last few games. I can't remember the same being said about Douglas at any point. 

I'm glad both are leaving.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19290347.rovers-must-find-answers-transfer-dilemmas-says-mowbray/

Adam Reach mentioned, seemingly very much from a speculative perspective by Rich Sharpe in the absence of any genuine information, obviously its an easy link with him about to become a free agent and coming through at Boro.

A player capable of occasional spectacular goals but one who tends to do very little in the games I have watched him play in at Sheffield Wednesday. Not had the best couple of years.

We do need at least one or two midfielders who can regularly get goals from midfield, our current lot dont/havent done anywhere near enough. Rothwell with 3, Buckley with 1, Holtby with 0, Travis with 0, Downing with 0, Johnson with 3, Trybull with 0, Davenport with 1 and Evans with 0. The last 4 have more of an excuse having regularly played the most defensive of the 3 but we need to take the chance to have a clear out and we do need a better sitting midfielder but we also need players who can get goals.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Sassy!

I didn't watch but apparently Bell was good the last few games. I can't remember the same being said about Douglas at any point. 

I'm glad both are leaving.

Douglas definetely had some decent games in one of our more positive runs. Disappointing compared to what we expected though. Bell might do something good, but he's not consistent in a game. He's not a good player. Too many weaknesses at this level. 

I would have kept Douglas as back up to Pickering, but I'm not too upset either are leaving. That's probably why he is leaving. Doesn't want to be back up. 

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19290347.rovers-must-find-answers-transfer-dilemmas-says-mowbray/

Adam Reach mentioned, seemingly very much from a speculative perspective by Rich Sharpe in the absence of any genuine information, obviously its an easy link with him about to become a free agent and coming through at Boro.

A player capable of occasional spectacular goals but one who tends to do very little in the games I have watched him play in at Sheffield Wednesday. Not had the best couple of years.

Sharpe should stop writing this nonsense and deal with the elephant in the room. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Reach or Bannan would be first name on the teamsheet level signings for us.

4 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I wouldnt agree on Reach (certainly not one of the first names on the team sheet) but Bannan would be a brilliant signing. Always has been a classy player and a great passer and would give us ability on the ball that we dont have, as well as experience.

• Like 5

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/300912-football-fancast-single-out-“passenger”-reach-for-criticism/?tab=comments#comment-9813683

Some opinions on Reach:

"playing with reach on the pitch is like dribbling past the washing line in the back garden when you were a kid."

"it's like starting with 10 men"

"Seen more backbone in a bag of candy floss"

"The guy has ability but sadly lacks guts, determination, heart and is as soft as s**t."

"I’m just glad I’ll never see the spineless waster in a Wednesday shirt again."

I dont think they will miss him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Both have the ability to be, but I don't think you could call them that on recent form.

The way that Wednesday fans talk about Reach reminds me quite a lot of Marshall in his last months at Rovers. There's no point in having the most ability in the team if you never show it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnGo said:

I notice all the experts are giving their 3 penith worth on who good, bad, and indifferent. I prefer to wait to see who we sign before writing off the coming season. Seems like this forum is full of half empty glasses!!!!

Well you know what it's based on don't you ?  I'd be surprised if you don't.

Just the same last summer then a raft of what looked like good signings lead to a serious shift in glass levels.

Still managed by Mowbray though so perhaps most have learned it's a bit pointless expecting anything other than what we've seen the last few years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/300912-football-fancast-single-out-“passenger”-reach-for-criticism/?tab=comments#comment-9813683

Some opinions on Reach:

"playing with reach on the pitch is like dribbling past the washing line in the back garden when you were a kid."

"it's like starting with 10 men"

"Seen more backbone in a bag of candy floss"

"The guy has ability but sadly lacks guts, determination, heart and is as soft as s**t."

"I’m just glad I’ll never see the spineless waster in a Wednesday shirt again."

I dont think they will miss him.

Ah but all that points to him being a bit of a snowflake, no doubt a nice lad.  Right up you know whose street, 10 mins here, 15 mins there and not a peep of complaint.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Now, that's a name. Bannan. I think he's a great player. For our "possession based" game, that's a no brainer if it could be done 

No way Bannan fits the mold for our possession based game.  He's creative, passes forward and takes risks, he doesn't fit what we need, sideways only, backwards at times steady eddies who keep possession and don't take risks.  If our stats drop the XG league ranking will mean nothing, keep ball players only for us this summer.