BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very annoyed and frustrated by the lack of permanent striker signing not being signed and spending 500k on 23 years old left back. This should have not been allow to happen. Rovers transfer team and committee are to blame here for the lack of the permanent striker today. Questions need to be ask of the transfer committee and who is blame ultimately for the lack of striker. It could cost us if Gallagher and Brereton got injured at the same time. 

I do feel with this squad and if we play to our strengths like being solid defensively playing on the counter we can achieved a mid table finish. 

Wonder if Waggott blocked some of Mowbray transfer targets today or ignore his suggestions and went with the transfer committee targets instead.

Wonder if Mowbray would win over this.

Mowbray and Waggott you mean? 

No one is asking for loads of money but a permanent striker for a couple of million pounds or less. Plenty of different options out there. All fans will have they own suggestions who we should have sign. 

Going forward I hope Rovers are better plan and organise for the next transfer windows. 

I have no problem with that model as long as you stick to him and have proper transfer, recruitment and scouting strategy in place to bring in the right players

Do you not realise this is going on for over a decade now? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Obviously a shambolic Window not signing a CF, but I predicted exactly this would happen months ago and so did others. It's not surprising.

Anyway, we can still sign a loan with a view to buy ,right? 

Window is shut until January.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Obviously a shambolic Window not signing a CF, but I predicted exactly this would happen months ago and so did others. It's not surprising.

Anyway, we can still sign a loan with a view to buy ,right? 

Don't think so?

I don't think there is a loan window for EFL clubs anymore. Could be wrong though.

Free agents only i believe.

As the dust settles it's hard to be anything other than disappointed. 

Looking at each signing:

Edun - the only positive really. Perhaps our sole fee shouldn't be spent on a lb but given he can play multiple positions, it's a position we had no cover for and he is the right age and seemingly rated, all in all it seems a good signing. 

Centre back - contrary to some I think we really needed one. Ayala is.injury prone, Warton could take a while to come back and Carter deputizes at RB. Plenty of need for a centre back. However it absolutely should not have been a loan. 

Firstly we have loaned 4 centre backs in the last 3 years. Quite simply that suggests that we have not had enough of them on our books. If we had brought one at any point we'd have actually have developed our own player, had continuity and an asset at the end of it. Who knows we might have even had capacity to do other transfer deals. 

Secondly my big worry is loan signings don't get dropped. They are kind of obliged to play. This means that it could stunt the growth of Carter and Warton, which is fine if it is our player and on merit. Without this though it becomes a much more damaging thing to Rovers. 

Thirdly it shunts the problem down the road, again. What if Lenihen doesn't re-sign? (I think he will mind but no guarantee.) Ayala is getting on too. Nayambe's contract is ending. In short there's a lot of work to potentially do in defence in the next year and we have just shunted another recruitment issue till then. 

So yeah not a fan of this signing. 

The Liverpool lad. Seems both to have talent and be very similar to Buckley. The big question is whether he is good enough to make it worth dropping Buckley. A bit too early to tell, but really the fact it's not clear already makes me a tad worried about the signing. Again, even if on an individual level the loan signing makes sense, it's still yet another player who needs replacing next year. 

The wingers. Bunched them together. Utterly not what was needed to replace Armstrong with. 

Let's go with the positive interpretation that they will play on the wing and Ben/Gally moves inside. In that case signing a winger doesn't seem too bad on the surface. The problem is imo, twofold. 

Actually it's asking a lot of Gally and Ben who undoubtedly will improve playing central but enough to take a 28 goal mantle? (Or a significant part of it.) From what I've seen of both of them they will improve but I can't see from their past performances that they would be top level championship strikers. 

The other issue is it means the winger, as a wide forward contributing goals and being good. And neither one looks a top of the range championship winger/wide forward either. In their natural positions neither to me seem to have the quality to make up for Armstrong's loss, or anywhere near it. 

Of course this is a charitable assumption. TM has already talked of Poveda being a false 9. And in such a position I have even less faith the wingers are suited to playing this role. Even Elliott, a top class loan, struggled in that position so what are the odds that either one of them will be good at the role? And of course it leaves Gally in particular limited out wide. It's a recipe for disaster. 

Then of course, as with virtually all our signings, it's loans. We boot the problem of inadequately replacing Armstrong even further down the line - on top of all the other issues and with Ben potentially not signing, to create more problems down the road. 

In short without signing people we couldn't have done much worse. 

I think I would rather have had 10 percent of the 15 million spent on 2-3 permanent additions, who at least would give the club assets and a bit more of a team going into next year. I can't believe a good enough striker couldn't have been found (because it's very difficult when you only have 6 months and a head of recruitment) but to not even get a calculated gamble or a top quality loan, combined with an obsession with false 9d is a very worrying position to be in.  

Terrible window. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

For loans even? I thought you used to be able to do them for s bit after? 

Free agents then 

That was just for last season to give some leeway for covid.

Free agents can register up until November i think?

We love a late free agent signing so I wouldn't rule out a one year deal for someone who can't get fixed up.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

If our U23s are as good as some on here hope they might be, why aren't other Championship clubs queuing up to buy or loan them?  Just a thought.......

And Championship clubs weren't queuing up to sign the players we have taken on loan. You used the word hope - is that not how to describe the loanees we have taken?

• Like 5

The only saving grace would be if the club tie up all the expiring first teamer's on new contracts with the Armstrong money and say that is the reason for a quiet window. I could buy into that.

If it turns out that its just the usual shambolic running of the club then its about time some heads rolled and some competent people were recruited (as if!).

• Like 2

The one positive now is that SG will get his chance up top. Fwiw I think he can get us 15-20 goals from there….Brereton will have to cover him until Jan at least and the likes of Poveda, Rothwell, Dolan, Buckley, Butterworth and Khadra play in the wide attacking & number 10 positions. 😬

• Like 2

There's no positive spin to put on this cock up of a transfer window but I wonder what I would have done differently.

My guess is that Venky's turned the tap off last season and mandated that costs were reduced by a large number, likely something to do with their business cash flows being hit by Covid.

We have to respond and choose to sell our mostly crappy players to get the wages down and a bit of cash in.

Arma was always going and we should have expected to have some of that money to spend.

Venky's say 'NO' and we aren't able to offer increases to existing players who we need to sign new contracts.  Also we can't outbid or even compete with the transfer fees and players wage demands of the required new players.

"A hard budget is a hard budget, go deal with it", I've been told that many times in my life.

Not sure what else there is to be done if we don't have the cash.

Still a horror show whichever way you look at it, not sure it's all TMs fault though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

The one positive now is that SG will get his chance up top. Fwiw I think he can get us 15-20 goals from there….Brereton will have to cover him until Jan at least and the likes of Poveda, Rothwell, Dolan, Buckley, Butterworth and Khadra play in the wide attacking & number 10 positions. 😬

Sounds dreadful.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Sounds dreadful.

It doesn't really though..it's very disappointing we didn't get a CF and unacceptable really,but I still believe this is one of the best squads we have had at this level. 

You add a proper cf and a different manager and I reckon we could push for play offs 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think 20 is very optimistic to be honest with you, but I agree that having him as a striker is one of the main silver linings of a broadly terrible window. He already has two, and if he stays there all season I'd definitely back him to reach double figures, but I'd be ecstatic if he manages over 15. 

• Like 3

I don't mind Sam Gallagher leading the line at this point, but I'm unsure whether we have enough good finishers to stay competitive. I think we have a mid-table manager managing a mid-table squad, so that's where my expectations lie. There used to be a video on the Rovers website with finishing challenge. Can't find it now, but it sums up Sams abilities inside the box.

Not too fuzzed about Rhys Healey not joining, if that story is correct. Either someone more proven or someone who can develop into the next Arma for me.

9 hours ago, JBiz said:

Overall though - I don’t think it’s been as bad as the general feedback here

You never do!

It is as bad! Hardly any of it makes any sense at all.

Clearly there was no money to replace Armstrong and this is where those awful decisions to buy Gallagher and Brereton come back to bite us on the bum.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I wouldn't even be surprised now if Mowbray is on the phone to Downing asking him if he fancies giving it 'one last go' just to make it look like he's got someone signed 🤣

Didn't Downing sign for a southern team a few weeks back?