BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

21 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I don't mind Sam Gallagher leading the line at this point, but I'm unsure whether we have enough good finishers to stay competitive. I think we have a mid-table manager managing a mid-table squad, so that's where my expectations lie. There used to be a video on the Rovers website with finishing challenge. Can't find it now, but it sums up Sams abilities inside the box.

Not too fuzzed about Rhys Healey not joining, if that story is correct. Either someone more proven or someone who can develop into the next Arma for me.

He can lead the line, so too Breo. Hell, Nyambe can lead the line up front as well. At the end of the day, is can they put the ball in the back of the net consistently, to compensate for the loss of those Arma goals. We have seen thus far, that the answer is no. 

Whilst its hardly a thrilling transfer window when you lose your best two players (Armstrong for money and Elliott to a loan return) I think its important to try and see the bigger picture.

Going into the season, some four weeks ago, mine and plenty of forum members fears where that we'd be relegated. The fear we'd be cut adrift and face a season like the one under Coyle in 16/17 with us battling from a home thumping by Norwich on the opening day, to the heartbreak at Griffin Park months later.

With signings like Gordon Greer, Tommie Hoban, Anthony Stokes, Wes Brown, Stephen Hendrie, Jack Byrne and Martin Samuelsen.......shudder 

This season has been surprisingly pleasing so far, we've put 8 points on the board, shown a togetherness, team spirit and most refreshingly of all have shown a willingness to dig in, scrap and stand up to the physical battles, which was missing from last seasons squad in abundance.

It took us 9 games to get 8 points in 16/17

The squad we have is good enough to better last seasons dismal performance of 15th place, but lets face it, we're more than a striker away from pushing for the playoffs! And with that said I'm happy to sit tight, let the FFP clock restart next season and take things from there.

We've bemoaned the fact Gallagher has played as a right winger for two seasons, now lets see him down the middle. BBD similarly, the challenge has been set to both of them to get 10-15 goals this season, which they should both be capable of.

Who of last seasons squad (bar the aforementioned Elliott and Armstrong) would anyone actually want at the club? Harwood-Bellis perhaps, but we were never going to be able to match the lure of Champions League football.

Williams, Mulgrew, Bennett, Downing and Evans were all too old and ready to drop down the divisions, or move to new leagues.

The collective cheers around Blackburn when Bell, Douglas and Trybull departed were palpable, whilst the youth fringe players also had proven that their futures were at pastures new, see Grayson, Lyons, White, Mols et al.

Lets see how good or bad Poveda, Khadra, Edun, Clarkson, van Hecke and Pickering are?

This board and other Rovers fans are also quick to criticise loaning in players from other clubs and not giving our own youth a chance...

Carter, Magloire, Cirino, McBride, Pike, Garrett, Annesley and Vale all should see time in and around the first team squad this season (bench time or playing) lets see how good they are.

Dack, Rankin-Costello and Johnson to return also.

Hopefully some of the cash from Armstrong can be spent on tying down Nyambe, BBD and Rothwell to extensions.

This season was always going to be a transitional year, its proved to be so far. 

We have a squad that should finish between 12th and 18th, which is where we are at present.

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Whilst its hardly a thrilling transfer window when you lose your best two players (Armstrong for money and Elliott to a loan return) I think its important to try and see the bigger picture.

Going into the season, some four weeks ago, mine and plenty of forum members fears where that we'd be relegated. The fear we'd be cut adrift and face a season like the one under Coyle in 16/17 with us battling from a home thumping by Norwich on the opening day, to the heartbreak at Griffin Park months later.

With signings like Gordon Greer, Tommie Hoban, Anthony Stokes, Wes Brown, Stephen Hendrie, Jack Byrne and Martin Samuelsen.......shudder 

This season has been surprisingly pleasing so far, we've put 8 points on the board, shown a togetherness, team spirit and most refreshingly of all have shown a willingness to dig in, scrap and stand up to the physical battles, which was missing from last seasons squad in abundance.

The squad we have is good enough to better last seasons dismal performance of 15th place, but lets face it, we're more than a striker away from pushing for the playoffs! And with that said I'm happy to sit tight, let the FFP clock restart next season and take things from there.

We've bemoaned the fact Gallagher has played as a right winger for two seasons, now lets see him down the middle. BBD similarly, the challenge has been set to both of them to get 10-15 goals this season, which they should both be capable of.

Who of last seasons squad (bar the aforementioned Elliott and Armstrong) would anyone actually want at the club? Harwood-Bellis perhaps, but we were never going to be able to match the lure of Champions League football.

Williams, Mulgrew, Bennett, Downing and Evans were all too old and ready to drop down the divisions, or move to new leagues.

The collective cheers around Blackburn when Bell, Douglas and Trybull departed were palpable, whilst the youth fringe players also had proven that their futures were at pastures new, see Grayson, Lyons, White, Mols et al.

Lets see how good or bad Poveda, Khadra, Edun, Clarkson, van Hecke and Pickering are?

This board and other Rovers fans are also quick to criticise loaning in players from other clubs and not giving our own youth a chance...

Carter, Magloire, Cirino, McBride, Pike, Garrett, Annesley and Vale all should see time in and around the first team squad this season (bench time or playing) lets see how good they are.

Dack, Rankin-Costello and Johnson to return also.

Hopefully some of the cash from Armstrong can be spent on tying down Nyambe, BBD and Rothwell to extensions.

This season was always going to be a transitional year, its proved to be so far. 

We have a squad that should finish between 12th and 18th, which is what we are.

So u are happy to waste another season just so in the vain hope a clueless manager might sign a striker? Well good luck with that 

13 minutes ago, Iceman said:

He can lead the line, so too Breo. Hell, Nyambe can lead the line up front as well. At the end of the day, is can they put the ball in the back of the net consistently, to compensate for the loss of those Arma goals. We have seen thus far, that the answer is no. 

I don't think Breo suits playing the lone forward role tbh. So far this season the answer is yes, but looking back a couple of seasons we all know the answer. I would love for Sam to go through a purple patch, but I don't think the anticipation and finishing technique is there for him to become a great goalscorer over time.

13 minutes ago, 47er said:

You never do!

It is as bad! Hardly any of it makes any sense at all.

Clearly there was no money to replace Armstrong and this is where those awful decisions to buy Gallagher and Brereton come back to bite us on the bum.

I’ve always been glass half full.

Started the summer knowing Rovers would lose their main man. The only disappointment is that he’s not been replaced.

I actually think the squad balance is better than last year in some ways however. For example, We had 3 main “attackers” who all probably preferred the central berth last season.

This year we’ve got two potential out and out wingers. If that leaves one central position for Gally / Ben to fight it out for, the “awful decision“ signing may turn out as good planning if they continue to score.

If you extrapolate their current form over the season, Ben’s getting 25+ and gally 15+. Life’s not that simple but I wouldn’t be surprised if they score 30+ between them.

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

So u are happy to waste another season just so in the vain hope a clueless manager might sign a striker? Well good luck with that 

Its just an opinion, but I think that's where we are at.

In terms of ambition, we've wasted the last four seasons, I don't see this one being any different. If the stars align for a club at this level (ala Barnsley last year) then maybe a playoff push is within reach, but in a post Covid world, survival is the priority.

17 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

As mentioned - when Sam G gets injured, what's the back-up plan?

There's a few on here who seem to think Butterworth, McBride and Vale will just slot in and score goals.

Despite the fact they have 0 league starts between them.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, roverandout said:

,Ever since the owners/Maggott didn't pop Mowbray before the season started, it was a waste of a year. Its probably for the best that Mowbay hasn't had the opportunity to squander the Armstrong money. A reset with a new manager if(when?) Mowbray achieves lower mid-table mediocrity again is probably the only silver lining we can hope for.

If, despite Mowbray, the team do however produce something unexpected, it'll be a bonus and we can enjoy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

To quote Ludovic Faucher in 2018, "Qui nourrit la pizza des athlètes pour le déjeuner?" translated as "who feeds athletes pizza for lunch"?

Who feeds athletes doughnuts for lunch? We could have had Warnock instead of that pillock.

Badly advised?

• Like 1

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Negatives

1. Team lacks experience across the piece

Almost the youngest squad in the league according to this at average age of 23.9 years:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/startseite/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2021/plus/1

Only Barnsley lower at 23.6, then Peterborough next at 24.2.

I'm all for getting away from the days of useless oldies like Murphy and Etuhu, but we've surely gone too far in the other direction. 

Particularly if we end up the wrong end of the table. Kids might ride the crest of a wave and do well if competing in the top 10. Different matter if we're in the crap and battling for safety. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

And Championship clubs weren't queuing up to sign the players we have taken on loan. You used the word hope - is that not how to describe the loanees we have taken?

This is my fear with our signings. They're here at Ewood by virtue of no other bugger wanting them in the Championship. Let's be honest.

Allan Hansen famously said that "you winning nothing with a team of kids" as ManU went on to dominate 

If these Rovers youngsters are good enough we'll be OK in this division. 

The question is whether Mowbray has faith in our own youngsters as opposed to the unwanted detritus from lower PL clubs

Note how the narrative has changed since last season from challenging for the top 6 to avoiding a relegation battle

Team Tony will regard it as a success if we stay up

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Gav said:

Who feeds athletes doughnuts for lunch? We could have had Warnock instead of that pillock.

Badly advised?

Sorry Gav, I get your drift but that would mean replacing one "pillock" with another.....yeh, I know Colin's record historically but I also know other stuff too!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Not that has scored anything like the 20 goals we need from a forward player.

They haven't in the past, but maybe they will in the future. Nobody knows. My opinion is, if you stop leaking goals, you don't have to score as many to be successful

Edited by rigger