BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

So, working on the assumptions that Mowbray stays, the 3 contracts get triggered, Johnson stays, Wharton and Dack are injured and Armstrong leaves... (ignoring U23s yet to play). We have:

GK: Kaminski, Pears

RB: Nyambe*, Rankin-Costello*

LB: Pickering, 👀 

CB: Lenihan, Ayala, Carter, Magloire, 👀, 👀

CDM: Travis, Johnson*, Davenport

CM: Rothwell*, Buckley 👀, 👀

WF: Gallagher, Brereton, Dolan, Chapman, Butterworth, 👀

ST: 👀 👀 

We have 19 players for August-January (4 technically are out of contract next month).

Bleak.

Ps. Bannan=Yes, Reach=HELL NO. Wouldn't mind a cheap punt on either Dominic Iorfa or Moses Odubajo if we were shopping Sheff Wed - though both have been injured most of the season.

Does anyone know if Harry Cornick (Luton) or Connor Chaplin (Barnsley) are in contract next season? Both really impress me everytime I see them. Surely we'd be interested.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

6 hours ago, JohnGo said:

I notice all the experts are giving their 3 penith worth on who good, bad, and indifferent. I prefer to wait to see who we sign before writing off the coming season. Seems like this forum is full of half empty glasses!!!!

You seem to be really against people giving their opinions.

I'm not sure public message boards are for you. It's kind of the only thing that happens on them.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, JohnGo said:

I notice all the experts are giving their 3 penith worth on who good, bad, and indifferent. I prefer to wait to see who we sign before writing off the coming season. Seems like this forum is full of half empty glasses!!!!

Absolutely! I mean what are they basing all their negative assumptions on? We had a great season results wise with a bit of an unlucky run in the latter half, we've found great value for money in the transfer window with the likes of Gally, Bereton and Ayala. Our squad has both quality and quantity all over the park and as for goal threats the team is littered with them. Struggle to see how anyone can think we will do badly next season. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
8 hours ago, JohnGo said:

Yeah because we should be feeling really positive after the season we've just endured...

2 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

So, working on the assumptions that Mowbray stays, the 3 contracts get triggered, Johnson stays, Wharton and Dack are injured and Armstrong leaves... (ignoring U23s yet to play). We have:

GK: Kaminski, Pears

RB: Nyambe*, Rankin-Costello*

LB: Pickering, 👀 

CB: Lenihan, Ayala, Carter, Magloire, 👀, 👀

CDM: Travis, Johnson*, Davenport

CM: Rothwell*, Buckley 👀, 👀

WF: Gallagher, Brereton, Dolan, Chapman, Butterworth, 👀

ST: 👀 👀 

We have 19 players for August-January (4 technically are out of contract next month).

Bleak.

That Squad worries me,  i'm also really worried if we rely on triggering extensions to keep Nyambe, RC & Rothwell as it would trigger to me they want to move on!

As you mentioned 7/8 decent signings needed. Even if we get 10-15m on Armstrong and nearly goes to Newcastle i don't know how fill those gaps... probably another 5 loan signings. I know mowbray mentioned freebies and upcoming league one signings but buy league one and that's where we'll end up!

32 minutes ago, bboy said:

That Squad worries me,  i'm also really worried if we rely on triggering extensions to keep Nyambe, RC & Rothwell as it would trigger to me they want to move on!

As you mentioned 7/8 decent signings needed. Even if we get 10-15m on Armstrong and nearly goes to Newcastle i don't know how fill those gaps... probably another 5 loan signings. I know mowbray mentioned freebies and upcoming league one signings but buy league one and that's where we'll end up!

Didn't work out too bad for Brentford signing Toney, or us with Dack. 

• Like 1

Personally think Bannan would be as effective as Holtby in the system we use. But that's just my 2p. Great talent but we need players like Travis and Rothwell who can go box to box all game. Under a different manager or in a different system though, would be up there for number one target if it was upto me

Edited by JoeH

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Personally think Bannan would be as effective as Holtby in the system we use. But that's just my 2p. Great talent but we need players like Travis and Rothwell who can go box to box all game. 

But Rothwell and Travis arent particularly effective going box to box themselves, assuming that we continue with our flawed system. And even if they played in the 2 more advanced roles, Bannan could sit and dictate, something he is capable of doing far better than Holtby even when he wasnt sat on the treatment table.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

But Rothwell and Travis arent particularly effective going box to box themselves, assuming that we continue with our flawed system. And even if they played in the 2 more advanced roles, Bannan could sit and dictate, something he is capable of doing far better than Holtby even when he wasnt sat on the treatment table.

It’s just the way I see it. Bannan is a very static player. You have to build around him and we simply wouldn’t do that. He wouldn’t be effective under Mowbray and that’s far from a criticism of the player

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It’s just the way I see it. Bannan is a very static player. You have to build around him and we simply wouldn’t do that. He wouldn’t be effective under Mowbray and that’s far from a criticism of the player

Even in a flawed Mowbray system, he could play the sitting role whereby being static suits that position, dictating from from deep.

You compare to players that Mowbray has chosen there in the past, Johnson the most obvious who cannot do that job effectively and regularly causes us problems getting caught on the ball, or someone like Trybull who just personified the slow, boring team that we became because everything with him was cautious and in slow motion. Bannan looks forward more often and can take the ball in tight spaces.

• Like 2