BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

On 05/10/2021 at 19:53, Sparks Rover said:

I'm not mate.  Our most talented player and I took some stick for it off bigdog chap.  My opinion is he's more gifted than Dack.

And I didn't rate Raya when he was here.  Shocking

I can't even remember you mentioning Rothwell, you got ridiculed (by more than me) for saying Dack is fat and useless

The glaring and super crucial difference between Dack and Rothwell is Dack delivers in outputs that win you games 

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I can't even remember you mentioning Rothwell, you got ridiculed (by more than me) for saying Dack is fat and useless

The glaring and super crucial difference between Dack and Rothwell is Dack delivers in outputs that win you games 

I'd rather have JR any day of the week.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd rather have JR any day of the week.

When Dack was fit we were batting away 15 million bids.It would have taken a bid of 2 or 3 million to take Rothwell from here in the summer yet he is still here.

8 goals in 130 appearances for Rothwell

• Like 5

Rothwell has got the ingredients to suggest he could be a Prem player. Quick, good technique, can breeze past players, when he gets his head up passes well. He's a very complete player. 

Reminds me a lot of Cairney and Josh King who were both obviously talented, had good but not consistent careers with Rovers, left and really kicked on.

17 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Rothwell has got the ingredients to suggest he could be a Prem player. Quick, good technique, can breeze past players, when he gets his head up passes well. He's a very complete player

Reminds me a lot of Cairney and Josh King who were both obviously talented, had good but not consistent careers with Rovers, left and really kicked on.

Except for the parts that are far from complete, like delivering goals and assists and even accurate passes in the final third. Hence why he has played senior football for Oxford and us and the strongest link so far links him to the SPL. 

I suppose it's all Mowbrays fault though, the manager who actually gave him his chance at this level 🙄

If Rothwell could shoot and was effective in the opposition third he would be playing PL, the thing is though, he hasn't done that anywhere near enough and he's almost 27 now. King was 23 when he left and Cairney was 24. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Except for the parts that are far from complete, like delivering goals and assists and even accurate passes in the final third. Hence why he has played senior football for Oxford and us and the strongest link so far links him to the SPL. 

I suppose it's all Mowbrays fault though, the manager who actually gave him his chance at this level 🙄

If Rothwell could shoot and was effective in the opposition third he would be playing PL, the thing is though, he hasn't done that anywhere near enough and he's almost 27 now. King was 23 when he left and Cairney was 24. 

I'm not blaming Mowbray. Mowbray found him on the cheap and he's been a good player for us.

I just think he is likely to continue to do well at other clubs and keep growing, despite being relatively old as you say. Sometimes players need a move to kick on.

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It takes a ballsy person to say a player with very few goals and assists is better than one with loads of both, I’ll give the them that!

Yes, particularly when for say Armstrong, any weaknesses in his game were glossed over with, you could argue correctly ,  "look at how many goals he scores". For Rothwell it's "it doesn't matter he doesn't score or assist anywhere near enough, cos he runs well with the ball! We just aren't seeing what he can really do because *insert excuse here*" 

Confusing....

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Let's see how he goes at Rangers.  At Huddersfield he waltzed through them despite playing as a holding midfielder., he's done it before and can do it more with the right manager putting him in a settled team with quality around him.  

Dack is a.good player too, I'd rather have Rothwell and his direct running at defences, he'd have no defensive responsibility for me and a free role behind Diaz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Let's see how he goes at Rangers.  At Huddersfield he waltzed through them despite playing as a holding midfielder., he's done it before and can do it more with the right manager putting him in a settled team with quality around him.  

Dack is a.good player too, I'd rather have Rothwell and his direct running at defences, he'd have no defensive responsibility for me and a free role behind Diaz.

It seems bigdog doesn’t rate Rothwell. I think there’s a couple of points. Mowbray chops and changes not only his position but also how the team is up meaning there’s a disconnect between the players. Second moving to a higher league he would be playing with players who have a better spatial awareness, and a higher proportion of his chances will be converted.

5 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

It seems bigdog doesn’t rate Rothwell. I think there’s a couple of points. Mowbray chops and changes not only his position but also how the team is up meaning there’s a disconnect between the players. Second moving to a higher league he would be playing with players who have a better spatial awareness, and a higher proportion of his chances will be converted.

5 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Also the defenders are even worse than in the championship

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

Dack still managed to score 3 when he was still regaining fitness after doing his cruciate the first time. That's almost half as many as Rothwell has scored in his entire time here. Who's the better player isn't even a debate

They play different positions in the team so comparisons are meaningless. You couldn’t compare Sir Bobby and Jack Charlton. Both were World Cup winners.

1 hour ago, Theaxe15 said:

Dack still managed to score 3 when he was still regaining fitness after doing his cruciate the first time. That's almost half as many as Rothwell has scored in his entire time here. Who's the better player isn't even a debate

Gallagher has scored more than Rothwell, is he a better player?

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Who cares how he goes at Rangers? It's a dogshit league. Even if he does well in the Celtic games and handful of European games, it will be too small a sample to be useful.

Personally I do agree the manager has misused him at times, which hasn't helped at all. But there is a degree to which Joe is responsible for not fulfilling his potential too. Ultimately he is brilliant at running at people as we all know, but his decision making and finishing is sometimes suspect. All players have weaknesses though.

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

It's Rothwell who sees himself as a central midfielder.

He wants to play as an 8.When he first joined Mowbray brought it up In many an interview that Rothwell was on at him to be playing centre of the park.

Even last season on occasions on the games on ifollow you could here Mowbray screaming at Rothwell to play further forward

If Rothwell is such a misused genius then I wonder why, as his contract winds down, there hasn’t been an Adam Armstrong rush for his services beyond a Nixon flyer about a move to Rangers? And as to all these chances he creates that get fluffed, he is the main culprit - pisspoor shot for the most part. An average of two goals a season for an attacking midfielder is awful, and he wasn’t much more prolific at Oxford - he’s only scored 16 goals in his entire career! And if he wants to play as one of two centre mids, which he says he does, it’s be nice to learn how to close down and tackle.

9 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

If Rothwell is such a misused genius then I wonder why, as his contract winds down, there hasn’t been an Adam Armstrong rush for his services beyond a Nixon flyer about a move to Rangers? And as to all these chances he creates that get fluffed, he is the main culprit - pisspoor shot for the most part. An average of two goals a season for an attacking midfielder is awful, and he wasn’t much more prolific at Oxford - he’s only scored 16 goals in his entire career! And if he wants to play as one of two centre mids, which he says he does, it’s be nice to learn how to close down and tackle.

You didn't rate Raya either, did you?

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

You didn't rate Raya either, did you?

Like a lot of others on this site. They’ll never own up, and they’ll keep banging on about his poor kicking, mistakes etc, etc, etc. The boy has improved, Arsenal wanted him and had to buy Ramsdale at £23m. That shows how good he is. He’ll make the Spanish squad. They’ll still say he’s rubbish.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Lol.....Such a frustrating player!

2 hours ago, JohnGo said:

Like a lot of others on this site. They’ll never own up, and they’ll keep banging on about his poor kicking, mistakes etc, etc, etc. The boy has improved, Arsenal wanted him and had to buy Ramsdale at £23m. That shows how good he is. He’ll make the Spanish squad. They’ll still say he’s rubbish.

No, it doesn't 

14 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I find the goals and assists criticism odd now he's playing centre mid. That's not his main function to the team.

Also assists stats aren't that reliable anyway 

Well he's hardly a defensive midfielder , is he? So of course his offensive output needs to be evaluated 

His runs from deep are impressive ,but they only occasionally lead to something constructive happening 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1