BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

5 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

Rumor West Ham are going for Tammy Abraham which might end interest in Armstrong. (Abraham is twice the player).

and at least twice the price!

- might all depend on whether Wet Spam make it into Europe, if anything I'd see it more likely that Abraham would go to Villa [ or Spurs if they sell Kane ].

It's all opinion of course, but can't really see Armstrong as a top-half PL forward

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Always felt Armstrong back to Newcastle would be a likely option.

A £10m plus Dwight Gayle may do a job for all parties?

That article seems to suggest a 40% sell on fee to Newcastle!

So even a £25m sale would only realistically give us £15m to spend on a new players 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Glosrover said:

and at least twice the price!

- might all depend on whether Wet Spam make it into Europe, if anything I'd see it more likely that Abraham would go to Villa [ or Spurs if they sell Kane ].

It's all opinion of course, but can't really see Armstrong as a top-half PL forward

Cant see Villa getting Abraham, past links aside. They already have Watkins and now Wesley is back fit, I think Dean Smith said that they arent getting a striker.

2 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

So even a £25m sale would only realistically give us £15m to spend on a new players 

Surely theres no chance that we can come close to Gayles wages.

I also dont think that wed get anywhere near a full 15m to spend. Venkys would pocket a large amount.

Gayle in his last two Championship seasons, picked up similar numbers achieved by AA this season. Actually seem very similar players, small, lightning quick, etc. But Gayle has never really managed to perform in the PL and I believe the same will be the case for AA. 

I've said it a few times but it really is worth baring in mind, that being in his last year of his deal means Armstrong's fee will be much lower than hoped. It knocks a lot of value off a player being in their last year of their contract. 

Factor in the Newcastle sell on fee. And it looks low. Factor in if Venkys do resort to coat cutting and it looks horrific - when they cut costs under Coyle he got 0.25% to spend on transfer fees... 

Most likely scenario is imo Gayle on loan and £10 million from Newcastle. Of which we get a couple of millions for a transfer budget. (Otherwise known as the Boro charitable support fund.)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

+Waggot tax

+Venky tax

Leaving us around £2m for players.

If we had £15m left from selling Arma, we wouldn't be spending that money on new players.

• Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

I've said it a few times but it really is worth baring in mind, that being in his last year of his deal means Armstrong's fee will be much lower than hoped. It knocks a lot of value off a player being in their last year of their contract. 

Factor in the Newcastle sell on fee. And it looks low. Factor in if Venkys do resort to coat cutting and it looks horrific - when they cut costs under Coyle he got 0.25% to spend on transfer fees... 

Most likely scenario is imo Gayle on loan and £10 million from Newcastle. Of which we get a couple of millions for a transfer budget. (Otherwise known as the Boro charitable support fund.)

Why would Gayle come to a club that's just finished 15th in the Championship?

7 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Why would Gayle come to a club that's just finished 15th in the Championship?

Game time? Although if he is getting it and is not bumped down the queue in the summer I appreciate that is less likely to occur. 

12 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I think he'll have better options if he does leave NUFC. We couldn't afford his wages anyway. 

Very possibly. That had crossed my mind but I wonder if they might pay a bit towards it as part of the deal to get Armstrong. 

My thinking is a loan and more goals in the championship may make him more saleable. 

That said I think you could well be right that he may have better offers. 

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I don’t know why they would want Armstrong when they have Gayle. Exactly same type of player and Gayle is the better of the two 🤷🏼‍♂️

To be fair, Gayle is now 31 and has proven over his career that he is very much in that bracket of being very good at Championship level but not capable at Premier League level.

Obviously I have no idea if they genuinely want Armstrong but looking at it, Callum Wilson is their main striker but he is injury prone and Armstrong may appeal in that he comes heavily discounted, he is only 24 so scope to improve and he is flexible so that he can play down the middle when Wilson inevitably is out rather than resorting to Joelinton and either with Wilson or from either side should Bruce want to play them both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meesh said:

Can't see Armstrong ending up anywhere other than Newcastle. He'd be fine for a lower-half Premier League club, and a return for Armstrong seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Ironically, he'd probably go from being played as a main striker here to playing as a wide forward in the Premier League.

If they want a wide forward, they could spend that £15m on Sam Gallagher instead!! 😲

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I don’t know why they would want Armstrong when they have Gayle. Exactly same type of player and Gayle is the better of the two 🤷🏼‍♂️

Understand the point and Gayle might edge being better simply because he has 20+ goals in his previous 2 seasons at this level and a bit of PL experience.

That said, he never got as high as 29 goals, and is now 31.

AA is a good age, though untested at PL level, offers potential resale value, scope to improve, and they already have us over a barrell thanks to a 40% sellon clause.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, Gayle is now 31 and has proven over his career that he is very much in that bracket of being very good at Championship level but not capable at Premier League level.

Obviously I have no idea if they genuinely want Armstrong but looking at it, Callum Wilson is their main striker but he is injury prone and Armstrong may appeal in that he comes heavily discounted, he is only 24 so scope to improve and he is flexible so that he can play down the middle when Wilson inevitably is out rather than resorting to Joelinton and either with Wilson or from either side should Bruce want to play them both.

If he is happy to go back as a squad player then it makes sense long term. Gayle has a few good years in him yet and I’m sure if we could get him to come the other way we wouldn’t miss armas goals. With a bit of cash for defenders ( I know I know, ) it could be excellent business for both parties 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Understand the point and Gayle might edge being better simply because he has 20+ goals in his previous 2 seasons at this level and a bit of PL experience.

That said, he never got as high as 29 goals, and is now 31.

AA is a good age, though untested at PL level, offers potential resale value, scope to improve, and they already have us over a barrell thanks to a 40% sellon clause.

Yeah I’m just thinking realistically. He’s off so to get a player of similar style, proven and IMO better at least for the short term it’s the next best scenario. In an ideal world I would keep arma for all the reasons above you stated

• Like 1

Sonny Bradley is someone that we should be in for. The 29 year old monstrous Centre half of a Luton Captain. Free agent I believe. Been a while since we have had a proper hard man.

Allan Campbell from Motherwell, under 21 Scotland Captain, leaving for 500k. Good player.

Kamil Grosicki is another one I noticed is out of contract this summer. Always thought he was quality, even at 32.

13 hours ago, davulsukur said:

If they want a wide forward, they could spend that £15m on Sam Gallagher instead!! 😲

LOL, someone will sign him, play him there and he'll turn into Cristiano Ronaldo, with TM proclaiming he 'developed' him with his 'coaching' skills.

Edited by Ulrich
  • Like 2

I'd wager he's already got a pal lined up for that gig, this is just going through the motions stuff.

Would be interesting if the owners pick someone and give them 90% control on transfers.  Doubt that'd go down very well with the Coventrio.

More likely to be another appointment that strengthens Mowbrays hand though.

• Like 2

It's odd that Mowbray is even talking about getting a say in the hiring of a recruitment director. He wants to "see if the connection is there".

I don't personally give a crap if he connects with Mowbray. If he is good for the club, can spot a player and is in it for the long-haul that's all that counts.

• Like 4