BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

No issue with Bennett actually staying the only issue - like many - is how the manager uses him.

Good news on Nyambie, probably just gives them more time to cash in on him though.

Bell it sounds like he's leaving because he wants to so fair enough.

Chapman i really don't understand but some is probably making something from loaning him out.

They are going to have to pull off some blinders this summer to ensure heads above water. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rog of the rovers said:

Retained list released

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/may/rovers-confirm-retain-list/

No surprises I don't think

Can kicked down the road as regards Nyambe, JRC  and Rothwell. Fairly instructive we've been been able to persuade any of the three to sign new deals.

Absolute joke that Johnson has got a new deal and that we're even contemplating offering Bennett any sort of terms.

I am actually pleased Chapman's been offered a new deal, might still be a player in there under another manager.

Overall it's obviously going to be more of the same next season IF there is no change this summer and Mowbray and Waggott are still in situ.

I'd be interested to hear what those who watch the U23's make of their list.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

They are going to have to pull off some blinders this summer to ensure heads above water. 

Indeed.

Good job we've got an astute operator in the transfer market like Tony ultimately making the decisions on recruitment and Mark Venus getting the deals over the line.

Oh wait...........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meesh said:

The club is clearly cutting its cloth.

Random example 1: I thought Joe Grayson was quite decent for his age from the few times I watched him, and I'm surprised we're letting him go so easily when we've been loaning him out to a league or two below us in the last season or two.

Random example 2: Brad Lyons was heralded as some sort of wizard-like winger upon his arrival, but he's being let go very subtly here.

At the end of the day, I suppose if you have to make push come to shove, then neither would be cutting the mustard at Rovers. I suppose many clubs will be in a similar position.

Then there's the contradiction stuff. Offering Bennett an extended contract befuddles me. I'm not a Bennett-hater by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't think he's half as bad as most make out, but it's a little bit odd that he was supposedly off to Shrewsbury to be back near his home, likely getting first team football, and yet we're doing the "humane" by offering him a contract extension when we cry poverty at the same time. It reminds of when we gave Ben Gladwin a six month contract because the club didn't want him left out in the cold (honourable, you could say), but then the official narrative about begging the owners and lacking funds for this that and the other doesn't really match up with the actions in some cases.

How many Brad Lyons and Joe Graysons would Johnson and Bennett pay for though?

We try to penny pinch in certain areas whilst at the same time wasting far larger amounts in others.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Offering Johnson a deal was a surprise, but offering Bennett a deal was absolutely mind bending. I just don’t get that at all.

They can both offer something, if used in certain circumstances from the bench. As long as they are getting paid in relation to their contributions to the team.

• Like 1

Offering Bennett and Chapman is a surprise to me.. both have done nothing for Rovers in the last 2yrs... unless we extend Chapman and then sell him, I see no point in keeping him on as he clearly is only a League 1 player.. 

I'm hoping Bennett will only be on club mascot wages! 

Personally think the wages on both these guys could have been better utilised. 

• Like 1

I’m fairly sure that Johnson said on one of his podcast appearances that his contract was 2+1 if he hit a certain number of appearances. So I don’t think his extension was by choice. But I can’t remember which podcast it was as he has been on a few.

• Like 3

Harry is a BoroBoy so was always getting an offer.

At least Downing is off player wages whilst he worked on his coaching so that's a positive off sorts.

If Bennett wants to play on he will go. If happy to warm his backside he'll stay.

When do the Bookies start taking relegation bets?

• Like 5

Can only assume that Bennett has been offered an extension to stay on as the dressing room Jester. I can't understand why Johnson has been given a new deal he hasn't looked fit from the moment he arrived and I don't expect that to change.

In regards to the other 3 it appears we have simply kicked the can 12 months down the road. It is very worrying that we aren't even able to tie Rankin-Costello down he is a distinctly average player, with a dreadful injury record and with what just twentyish Championship games under his belt. If we aren't even able to tie him down then it says a lot about the direction we are going in. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Offering Bennett and Chapman is a surprise to me.. both have done nothing for Rovers in the last 2yrs... unless we extend Chapman and then sell him, I see no point in keeping him on as he clearly is only a League 1 player.. 

I'm hoping Bennett will only be on club mascot wages! 

Personally think the wages on both these guys could have been better utilised. 

For me the use of Bennet and Chapman has been badly handled by Mowbray. In our present situation personally, I would sign both, Bennet purely for the bench, but Chapman as a starting winger. PS, I would play 4-4-2.

22 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Can only assume that Bennett has been offered an extension to stay on as the dressing room Jester. I can't understand why Johnson has been given a new deal he hasn't looked fit from the moment he arrived and I don't expect that to change.

In regards to the other 3 it appears we have simply kicked the can 12 months down the road. It is very worrying that we aren't even able to tie Rankin-Costello down he is a distinctly average player, with a dreadful injury record and with what just twentyish Championship games under his belt. If we aren't even able to tie him down then it says a lot about the direction we are going in. 

Why would we want to tie down as you call him "A distinctly average player, with a dreadful injury record".

Edited by rigger

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Says more about the players' belief or lack thereof  in the manager and the "skill" of our negotiating team than necessarily being a reflection of our financial situation imo.

If  the manager wanted any of the three whose options have been extended badly enough he would pull out all the stops to secure them and made savings elsewhere.

If another poster was correct in saying that Nyambe had been offered a new deal on the same terms then that is a colossal insult.

Mind you, he would probably have taken some persuading to sign a deal on hugely improved terms the way he's been treated.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Indeed.

Good job we've got an astute operator in the transfer market like Tony ultimately making the decisions on recruitment and Mark Venus getting the deals over the line.

Oh wait...........

Just wait till he installs his new head of recruitment.  It'll be interesting what calibre the next set of loans are.

43 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Can't imagine Chapman will sign a new deal.  He must be we'll fecked off with Mowbray.

he`s bloody mad if he comes back here,it`s going to be the same old scenario,a few bench appearances and he`s never ever going to be a regular starter,better off finding a new club imo

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Johnson brings more stability to the team than any other midfielder in our books a d the reason why some folks think he is not performing is because the other midfielder alongside him goes missing far too often. He is better than evans and Bennett together

Ye, whilst he is clearly passed his best, he offers more than a lot of our CMS. Particularly aerially

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maccy said:

I’m fairly sure that Johnson said on one of his podcast appearances that his contract was 2+1 if he hit a certain number of appearances. So I don’t think his extension was by choice. But I can’t remember which podcast it was as he has been on a few.

That would make sense 

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

I don't really see how this contact extension with them now tells us anything about where they are at with regards signing on going forwards. They would have until January to sign though. I imagine they could be cashed in on then, for peanuts. 

A lot of free bees available. Halilovic, Mowatt and Marcondes available midfielders. Also Yuri Ribeiro at Forest as left back. Have to say Bell looked miles ahead of Douglas in last games but is now released. Think he will do better with a better manager. 

Edited by neophox
  • Like 4