BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Deal for Chapman at least make some sense but Bennett...nah.

Chapman scored 7 league goals in 17 appearances in League One and is a different player than the rest of our squad. If players go away and play well on loan but then are not given the chance to do it then what's the point sending them on loan at all? Carter and Wharton have done well on their loans, next season hopefully they'll both be decent squad players.

Bennett? I know he was injured a lot...but two starts all season in the league?!? At least Johnson started over 20. The Chapman deal makes sense as long as TM integrates him into the squad fully this time, Johnson...well, perhaps make sense for another year if we're losing Downing, Evans and Holtby. But Bennett?  

I don't see how that makes any sense from a footballing basis. It's up there with the extension Smallwood received only to play zero games...

Is he just good a good cheerleader in the dressing room? Is that it? Certainly seems to suggest TM is going nowhere. Absolutely no chance, his feet remain firmly under the table. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bringdunnback said:

Bennett staying, on a (hopefully) much reduced wage, would be fine for me.

Needs to be dropping to at most 5k a week however.

If we are stuck with Mowbray then the wage for Bennett would be better spent on a new pitch.

I was a huge Bennett fan under Lambert and he has been a loyal servant but his playing days are at an end. We did the same with Mulgrew and Graham. Kept them past their sell by date and then their best before date and then when they have been on the side for a while and just watching them go off.

“We’ve no money”, they cry.

Because we don’t sell players while they still have value!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Offering Johnson a deal was a surprise, but offering Bennett a deal was absolutely mind bending. I just don’t get that at all.

What’s the surprise? How much experience do we have at the club? Are you expecting to have a successful season with boys for the U23? For all Bennett’s faults he gives his all and is a model professional that the boys can hopefully emulate. PS we don’t have a pot piss in so don’t expect some mega deals. Armstrong’s money will go to India.

9 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

bennett is/was only ever good enough to be a squad player,i guess mowbray loves him because he toes the party line,johnson is a mercenary,only here for one last biggish contract(now with a years extension☹️)lets be honest,i can count on one hand the amount of games he`s put 100% in,he`d have been the first to get released if i had my way,another dart thrown at the mowbray picture for me,just behind kean now in my rovers hatred list!!!

Are ITK how much is Johnson on for his big contract? I’m sure the club have negotiated his wage down. He’ll be on an average contract for his age and championship club. I’m surprised at the assumptions made on this forum. All footballers are mercenaries they have no loyalty.

11 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I don’t like this reality reversing narrative where we were somehow wrong to release Bell. Let’s be Frank, he was absolutely garbage for at least 80% of the times he pulled the shirt on. Good riddance.

Agreed. I’m more concerned our Plan A was to offer him a new deal.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, JohnGo said:

Are ITK how much is Johnson on for his big contract? I’m sure the club have negotiated his wage down. He’ll be on an average contract for his age and championship club. I’m surprised at the assumptions made on this forum. All footballers are mercenaries they have no loyalty.

You’re surprised at the assumptions made on this forum, but yet there you are, making two assumptions in the previous sentence....

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, JohnGo said:

What’s the surprise? How much experience do we have at the club? Are you expecting to have a successful season with boys for the U23? For all Bennett’s faults he gives his all and is a model professional that the boys can hopefully emulate. PS we don’t have a pot piss in so don’t expect some mega deals. Armstrong’s money will go to India.

The surprise is that he’s barely played, he’s not good enough and hasn’t been for a while, this was the perfect opportunity to say thanks and goodbye. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

I have no issue with Bell leaving. He looked ok in a couple of games here and there but he is League 1 level overall. The question is can this lot find a decent replacement for him? That's my worry.

I really hope they don't go and do something like George Friend in on a cheap deal from Birmingham. Friend was good about 6 years ago, I wanted us to sign him back then. Not now though.

We haven't been linked with him. I just see an ageing, experienced left back with a Boro connection. Don't do it, Tony.

Firstly the Friend idea seems exactly the sort of thing TM would love to do. 

But your main point which is a concern I share is can they get a decent replacement. That's my worry with all the outgoing lot - that we'll miss them even though we are crap because we replace them with worse. 

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

If true, that's merely all the more reason, if any were needed, that he shouldn't have been played as often as he was.

On the Johnson 2+1 for appearances, this seems another black mark on the absolute neglect of our defence, as Johnson racked up a few more appearances at centre back. If that pushed him towards the threshold for another year that's criminal. 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

If we are stuck with Mowbray then the wage for Bennett would be better spent on a new pitch.

I was a huge Bennett fan under Lambert and he has been a loyal servant but his playing days are at an end. We did the same with Mulgrew and Graham. Kept them past their sell by date and then their best before date and then when they have been on the side for a while and just watching them go off.

“We’ve no money”, they cry.

Because we don’t sell players while they still have value!

Indeed we do everything to devalue our players. Shocked by how many of our young players only have a year or so left on their contracts. Let's say Rothwell or Nayambe show some great form in the new year, we aren't going to get what they are worth because of the sole year remaining. Same with Armstrong. 

Of course buying a load of players who are duds or aging also doesn't help our finances either. 

2 hours ago, JohnGo said:

Not sure if others have made the point but Bennett and Johnson are both past it and in my view neither have ever performed since they've been at the Club in the first place anyway.

Their wages should have been saved and combined to find an experienced midfielder who can still perform.

If it's the case that Johnson had a new deal automatically triggered by a minimum number of appearances then we should have been careful not to trigger it as he's been desperately poor overall since arriving at the Club.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Is Elliott Bennett still capable of Championship football? Very strange decision to keep him, unless he's taken an appropriate wage deduction.

Doesn't matter whether he'd be on 1k, 2k 5k and 10k per week. It'd still be money wasted.

I'm 57 and could never play in the first place. You might as well give me 100 k p.a.

• Like 2

Bennett is being offered a new deal on sentiment and the fact Mowbray sees his as as a lieutenant in the dressing room, certainly not on ability and what he offers football wise. Mowbray has previous in this respect and has cost the clubs hundreds of thousands in doing so but in his autonomous way isn't answerable to anybody.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If it's the case that Johnson had a new deal automatically triggered by a minimum number of appearances then we should have been careful not to trigger it as he's been desperately poor overall since arriving at the Club.

Ahh, but sadly, Tony 'human values' Mowbray would never put the financial and footballing wellbeing of the club before the financial wellbeing of one of his players.

I'm sure he would happily tell us at length about how 'wrong' it would be to avoid playing someone just to avoid triggering an extension for a bloke who contributes little but nets in a week what some people earn in a year, whilst the club spirals into debt...

10 minutes ago, DE. said:

So next season will probably be the second season Bennett has been relegated with us, then. What a legacy. At least one of Lowe's relegations was from the PL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-retained-list-contracts-20590738.amp

This article suggests we are only talking to him and haven't even officially tabled a contract to him. And that an official decision is likely to be made in the coming weeks.

Presumably he isn't being offered very much thankfully, or he would have snapped it up you'd think.

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-retained-list-contracts-20590738.amp

This article suggests we are only talking to him and haven't even officially tabled a contract to him. And that an official decision is likely to be made in the coming weeks.

Presumably he isn't being offered very much thankfully, or he would have snapped it up you'd think.

If Mowbray is staying, as appears to be the case, then I fully expect Bennett to end up clinging on as well. I hope not but I have zero faith in this manager or our owners to make any decision that benefits the club at this point. The lot of them seem to be actively attempting to regress us as quickly as possible. 

• Like 2

Firstly, I am very happy to see all of those players released, Holtby and Evans didnt contribute much, Downing is past it and there has been a lot of revisionism in recent weeks around Bell, he has never, ever been anywhere near good enough.

The potential contract extension (and indeed wording) of Bennett staying on is just dreadful, and screams of jobs for the boys in case he cant get an equal deal elsewhere. He hasnt contributed much for years, even in League 1 I was critical of his quality and every year he has declined further and further, he is not versatile because hes just not good enough in any position. There is no merit or logic to this decision.

Johnson is also a lazy deal, hes been crap for us and is again declining, he is forever a liability on the ball repeatedly giving it away near our own box.

It also says a lot that players like Rankin Costello and Rothwell (and even Nyambe who is not one of the very best right backs at this level) can have a hold over us whereby we can get them to sign new deals, players who have yet to proven that they are consistently capable or in the former's case fit enough to really impact at this level, whether it is our lack of ambition that puts them off or financially, either way it doesnt have a good look, Lenihan and Brereton also amongst players going into their final year.

• Like 3

I am pleased that we have released Evans, Holtby, Bell, Downing, Mulgrew plus some of the under 23's who arent going to be good enough for the first team here. 

I don't see Bennett staying here next season as I think he will want a club closer to Family home in the midlands and less time spent away from home and his family. He has been good servant and role model for the club. Time for us to part ways and move on. 

I wouldn't have given Johnson as new contract as I think we need more Harrison Reed type in front of the back 4 to protect it with Travis or use Buckley as deep playmaker role next to Travis. I also wouldn't be offering Chapman a new contract either. Time to move on from him and let him go and play regular at a different club

Pleased we have activated the 12 months contract extension for Rankin-Costello and We need to use him in a wide role and get him crossing the ball and score goals for us. Rothwell need to step up to plate now and start regular producing the goods with goals and being an important player for us. on Nyambe, Not surprised we have activated the extension but will the club look to sell him this summer or use him and convince him to sign a new contract. 

Pleased we have keep Pike on and hopefully we see him break into the first team this coming season. 

on Summer signings, we need some signings but we need to integrate Carter, McBride and Pike within the first team squad in the coming season. We need to smart, clever and proactive to making the signings we need this season.  

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am pleased that we have released Evans, Holtby, Bell, Downing, Mulgrew plus some of the under 23's who arent going to be good enough for the first team here. 

I don't see Bennett staying here next season as I think he will want a club closer to Family home in the midlands and less time spent away from home and his family. He has been good servant and role model for the club. Time for us to part ways and move on. 

I wouldn't have given Johnson as new contract as I think we need more Harrison Reed type in front of the back 4 to protect it with Travis or use Buckley as deep playmaker role next to Travis. I also wouldn't be offering Chapman a new contract either. Time to move on from him and let him go and play regular at a different club

Pleased we have activated the 12 months contract extension for Rankin-Costello and We need to use him in a wide role and get him crossing the ball and score goals for us. Rothwell need to step up to plate now and start regular producing the goods with goals and being an important player for us. on Nyambe, Not surprised we have activated the extension but will the club look to sell him this summer or use him and convince him to sign a new contract. 

Pleased we have keep Pike on and hopefully we see him break into the first team this coming season. 

on Summer signings, we need some signings but we need to integrate Carter, McBride and Pike within the first team squad in the coming season. We need to smart, clever and proactive to making the signings we need this season.  

I agree, apart from Chapman, I think he can fill a left wing role, which at present we are short of.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would be playing JRC or Brereton there or look for left footed wide player

Again it's opinions, but I would play JRC right wing and Brereton off the bench in a central position. We may not have the finances to bring in a decent left footed winger. So I would concentrate on improving Chapmans ability with his left foot. Chapman is a pro footballer so I would expect him to have the skills to improve with practice, his left foot abilities.

Edited by rigger

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Again it's opinions, but I would play JRC right wing and Brereton off the bench in a central position. We may not have the finances to bring in a decent left footed winger. So I would concentrate on improving Chapmans ability with his left foot. Chapman is a pro footballer so I would expect him to have the skills to improve with practice, his left foot abilities.

Adam Reach is out of contract and someone who would fit that role. Patrick Roberts could be another option on loan. Another name I will suggest is Bristol City left side midfielder Callum O'Dowda. 

JRC or Dolan on the right wing then. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Adam Reach is out of contract and someone who would fit that role. Patrick Roberts could be another option on loan. Another name I will suggest is Bristol City left side midfielder Callum O'Dowda. 

JRC or Dolan on the right wing then. 

I think JRC on the wing and Nyambe at full back would give us a strong right hand flank. The left hand flank is where we will just have to wait and see. I hope that Pickering and whoever plays left-wing, gels.

7 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Wether many think Bennett isn’t worth another deal or not, He adds so much more than the football, Great Role model, Good with the youngsters, And gives 100% He will be for backup only and gives JRC the chance to challenge up the field

I would have thought that Pike would fill that defensive cover role. Bennetts problem is that he doesn't contribute much to the first team. If he is only being paid as a squad player, fair enough. If he gets a contract on par with the regular players then I think that is a mistake. 

Edited by rigger

9 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Wether many think Bennett isn’t worth another deal or not, He adds so much more than the football, Great Role model, Good with the youngsters, And gives 100% He will be for backup only and gives JRC the chance to challenge up the field

We don't need backup in the position that he plays. He may well be a good role model and a decent bloke but that alone doesnt warrant a new deal, its a waste of finite resources for a player who is a liability in whatever position he plays.

• Like 4