BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Just now, JohnGo said:

Probably not much more than you, how much do you make? Like I said stats do lie.

Well they don't tell the truth do they really ?

How do you explain constant 60/70% possession stats but losing more than we win ?

And if we are talking stats lets drag up Jason Lowe, certain good stats every week. Coinciding with being the worst player most weeks, running around a lot, touching the ball a lot doesn't make you a good player pal.

It's all about what you do with it.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Well they don't tell the truth do they really ?

How do you explain constant 60/70% possession stats but losing more than we win ?

And if we are talking stats lets drag up Jason Lowe, certain good stats every week. Coinciding with being the worst player most weeks, running around a lot, touching the ball a lot doesn't make you a good player pal.

It's all about what you do with it.

It’s true that stats don’t lie, our problem has been scoring goals and letting in soft goals. That is where Mowbray should concentrate. Johnson as a starter and Bennett as backup is sensible. What ever funds we have after the lunes has taken their cut should be concentrated on those areas.

Not sure what he's going to concentrate on.  He said defenders were coming years ago then just scrabbled about for a couple of loans. Next he decided to change to possession football which was obviously partly to help our soft defense.  Keep the ball off the opposition and we won't concede as many.

Well it didn't work because we couldn't win in the main and still let in poor goals. So what he's going to try now god only knows.  What we do know though is it'll be over complicated and still blighted by too many changes and rotations. That's a given with his management.

So, THE only stats that matter are the win column and the points column, too fans but not to anyone at Ewood it seems though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

It’s true that stats don’t lie, our problem has been scoring goals and letting in soft goals. That is where Mowbray should concentrate. Johnson as a starter and Bennett as backup is sensible. What ever funds we have after the lunes has taken their cut should be concentrated on those areas.

Johnson is at most a squad player and Bennett hasnt been competent even as a squad player since promotion. Nothing about that is sensible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yeti-dog said:

Johnson had a good month early in the season and then became increasingly irrelevant as the season wore on.

Claiming he was one of the best this season is patently rubbish imo.   

Johnson always give me the impression he could have a good gamse if he felt like it. Either that or past injuries/age have caught up with him. It occurs to me that TM realises he can't rely entirely on new young players next season and that they'll need help from the more experienced. Johnson shouldn't be one of them though.

So just to clarify, we are trying to keep Benno and Johnson? Why? What's that worth 500k + per annum, oh to work for a company where my budget can be spunked away like that. Bit like paying 175k a year for 'awesome' Pears and with those 2 we are probably paying close to 1 million pounds, just so TM has support in the dressing room.

Or 1 million a year spent because our management cannot 'build' relationships or man-manage. If it wasn't Rovers, I'd be pissing myself with laughter.

• Like 3

On 13/05/2021 at 11:31, K-Hod said:

Please can you stop saying we are in an embargo, when we aren’t?

It’s misinformation and will not be tolerated.

Q: Any update on the transfer embargo?

A: The transfer window doesn’t open until July 1, and Rovers have until the end of next month to get their accounts in. If they’re FFP compliant, then there won’t be anything to worry about, but still waiting for the accounts to land.

So it’s a wait and see on that one, at the moment.

i.e at this moment in time we are still under the registration ban widely reported last month along with 7 other clubs.

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

So just to clarify, we are trying to keep Benno and Johnson? Why? What's that worth 500k + per annum, oh to work for a company where my budget can be spunked away like that. Bit like paying 175k a year for 'awesome' Pears and with those 2 we are probably paying close to 1 million pounds, just so TM has support in the dressing room.

Or 1 million a year spent because our management cannot 'build' relationships or man-manage. If it wasn't Rovers, I'd be pissing myself with laughter.

Bennett hasn't been offered any contract yet. I still think he will move to a club closer to home based in the Midlands 

• Moderation Lead

Hi All, just had to tidy up this thread this morning. (Mods like to sleep, too).

Just a couple of points- rather than mentioning mods by name- use the report button, the ask admin section, or DM a mod please.

Also, please don’t start calling for people to be banned for having one opinion, whilst in the same post, defending someone else ‘as that’s their opinion’. 
As ever, any questions, just ask.

If you contribute to this thread after this post, I’m going to assume you’ve read it....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bennett hasn't been offered any contract yet. I still think he will move to a club closer to home based in the Midlands 

LOL, I did a Mowbray.

A Mowbray is when you claim something to be true in support of your argument, when it is really false.

• Like 1

https://the72.co.uk/235814/blackburn-rovers-ready-to-sell-joe-rothwell-to-give-adam-armstrong-pay-rise/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I would be if favour of selling Rothwell if order to get Armstrong to sign a new contract. We can't replace his goals or the player like for like so it's a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

https://the72.co.uk/235814/blackburn-rovers-ready-to-sell-joe-rothwell-to-give-adam-armstrong-pay-rise/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I would be if favour of selling Rothwell if order to get Armstrong to sign a new contract. We can't replace his goals or the player like for like so it's a no brainer for me.

Selling Rothwell to keep Armstrong would only serve to highlight how terrible the Coventrio are at recruitment.

A proper manager would sell him and buy three gems.

Have we learned nothing from what happened with Dack?

But then again it is Nicko. He has a tombola machine to rival Tony’s.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Selling Rothwell to keep Armstrong would only serve to highlight how terrible the Coventrio are at recruitment.

A proper manager would sell him and buy three gems.

Have we learned nothing from what happened with Dack?

But then again it is Nicko. He has a tombola machine to rival Tony’s.

If Armstrong can only command £10,000,000 because of his contract then I think it makes sense to try and tie him down. Selling him next summer on a three year deal could get us closer to £30,000,000 and if all it takes is losing Rothwell - I’d be well up for it.

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

If Armstrong can only command £10,000,000 because of his contract then I think it makes sense to try and tie him down. Selling him next summer on a three year deal could get us £30,000,000 and if all it takes is losing Rothwell - I’d be well up for it.

His stock won’t be higher than this season.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

His stock won’t be higher than this season.

It would if he was under a longer term contact. He’s a young player with 29 goals in the Champ. Look at Watkins (and probably Toney this year). 

4 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Q: Any update on the transfer embargo?

A: The transfer window doesn’t open until July 1, and Rovers have until the end of next month to get their accounts in. If they’re FFP compliant, then there won’t be anything to worry about, but still waiting for the accounts to land.

So it’s a wait and see on that one, at the moment.

i.e at this moment in time we are still under the registration ban widely reported last month along with 7 other clubs.

Two separate issues. 

Rovers were supposedly placed under an embargo (with 7 other clubs)  for not submitting their 2019/2020 accounts by the EFL deadline. Rovers said they did in the link you referenced (Club response to national media report - News - Blackburn Rovers)

Sharpe is referring to FFP. The FFP reporting period covers 4 years and will be assessed this summer. That is what Sharpe is referring to.  

• Backroom

I don't see why Arma would go along with a new deal if PL clubs are genuinely interested (or even Championship clubs who actually have a chance of getting promoted). Worst case scenario he's out of contract next summer, leaves on a free and gets a hefty signing on bonus and probably higher wages too as clubs no longer have to concern themselves with a transfer fee. 

Just now, JoeH said:

It would if he was under a longer term contact. He’s a young player with 29 goals in the Champ. Look at Watkins (and probably Toney this year). 

Why would Armstrong go along with that idea? He can make a heck of a lot more money as a free agent with the exact argument you are making.

We have to sell this Summer or plan for life without him and no money.

With Mowbray in charge we may as well give Rothwell “the Armstrong role”, build the team around him and let him have 5-6 shots every game.

I think it would be wrong to finance a one-season gamble (form vs injury-risk vs value) by selling another first team.

Besides, even if your lowball estimate is right. £10m now or £20m next season (assuming the same kind of season - unlikely) makes no real difference in Mowbray’s hands and is irrelevant given the size of our debt. That said, £20m could go a long way in L1. But lest we forget this 29 goal striker was an ever present in an abysmal season, including capitulation towards the end, so why the need to keep him?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Why would Armstrong go along with that idea? He can make a heck of a lot more money as a free agent with the exact argument you are making.

We have to sell this Summer or plan for life without him and no money.

With Mowbray in charge we may as well give Rothwell “the Armstrong role”, build the team around him and let him have 5-6 shots every game.

I think it would be wrong to finance a one-season gamble (form vs injury-risk vs value) by selling another first team.

Besides, even if your lowball estimate is right. £10m now or £20m next season (assuming the same kind of season - unlikely) makes no real difference in Mowbray’s hands and is irrelevant given the size of our debt. That said, £20m could go a long way in L1. But lest we forget this 29 goal striker was an ever present in an abysmal season, including capitulation towards the end, so why the need to keep him?

Would you rather keep Rothwell or Armstrong? Because if that’s the clubs plan I know who I want around, and it’s the man who grabbed 29 goals last season.

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who’s going to pay big bucks for “ 1 good game in 5 “ Joe Rothwell ?

Can't agree Tyrone.  With the correct manager and system my view he goes to the Premier league at some point.  He can do the one thing that managers crave, being able to.go past multiple defenders and beat a man one on one.  Mowbray again mis managed this lad. 

He's done stuff this season that if Messi had done it they'd be tossing off over it.

If a manger can get an arm around him, build a team to suit him, I think he's a lovely player.

Sat on the bench far too often not starting or taken off

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 5

Just now, JoeH said:

Would you rather keep Rothwell or Armstrong? Because if that’s the clubs plan I know who I want around, and it’s the man who grabbed 29 goals last season.

Moving the goalposts there, Joe.

I would rather we sold Armstrong right now than Rothwell.

If we keep Armstrong and recruit using the money we make from Rothwell then we are going to really struggle.

If we keep Rothwell and strengthen using the money from Armstrong then we should be able to improve the first team.

Arma is hugely overrated IMHO and his stock is artificially inflated because of his sporadic goalscoring - he is very inconsistent and has scoring gluts once teams are beaten. We are a better team when he doesn’t play. (You won’t find many stats for that but I’ve seen it with my own eyes). We need to take advantage of the situation.

While Mowbray is here this is all moot mind you.

Do you want another season like (or worse than) last season?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Can't agree Tyrone.  With the correct manager and system my view he goes to the Premier league at some point.  He can do the one thing that managers crave, being able to.go past multiple defenders and beat a man one on one.  Mowbray again mis managed this lad. 

He's done stuff this season that if Messi had done it they'd be tossing off over it.

If a manger can get an arm around him, build a team to suit him, I think he's a lovely player.

Sat on the bench far too often not starting or taken off

What do you think we’d get for him this summer ? For me he doesn’t impose himself on the game enough.