BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Moving the goalposts there, Joe.

I would rather we sold Armstrong right now than Rothwell.

If we keep Armstrong and recruit using the money we make from Rothwell then we are going to really struggle.

If we keep Rothwell and strengthen using the money from Armstrong then we should be able to improve the first team.

Arma is hugely overrated IMHO and his stock is artificially inflated because of his sporadic goalscoring - he is very inconsistent and has scoring gluts once teams are beaten. We are a better team when he doesn’t play. (You won’t find many stats for that but I’ve seen it with my own eyes). We need to take advantage of the situation.

While Mowbray is here this is all moot mind you.

Do you want another season like (or worse than) last season?

Can you explain that please? Genuinely intrigued 

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Mowbray again mis managed this lad. 

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What do you think we’d get for him this summer ? For me he doesn’t impose himself on the game enough. 

I think that question is yet another indictment of Mowbray. See Sparks’ comment.

Mowbray has favourites. First it was Dack, and Armstrong was played in a position that Arma himself said didn’t suit him in order to favour Dack’s abilities.

Everyone else is part of a rotation.

We are likely to have one player per season of any transfer interest. This season it is Armstrong.

Now, to go back to Joe’s question, I would support keeping Armstrong but only if Mowbray is replaced.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What do you think we’d get for him this summer ? For me he doesn’t impose himself on the game enough. 

I know, it's not an ability thing.  He's so gifted and I hate Mowbray for wasting him.  2m or something....a bargain for the right club.

Armstrong will go too...

We are being played here...they both want to go by the looks of it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Can you explain that please? Genuinely intrigued 

What’s to explain?

I’ve watched the team when Armstrong has been absent and, in my opinion, we play much more like a team. Movement, interplay, passing and movement, cohesion, body language.

There are minimal stats to back this up but last season without him we beat Millwall away, drew with Swansea and narrowly lost 1-0 to Brentford. Dack was injured by Raya and Arma was then brought back in for the following game. He was then out again and we drew with Norwich. In both runs, as soon as we lost, somebody was dropped for Armstrong.

Arma hogs the chances and no surprise scores the majority of our goals. IMHO, this is how Mowbray wants us to play but it could just be that Armstrong is one-eyed.

• Like 1

Selling Rothwell to keep Armstrong doesn’t make any sense to me. 

There’s a player in Rothwell I think. He picks the ball from deep and can hurt teams. He is anonymous far too much but i would like to see him under a new manager before pinning that entirely on him. 

Don’t sell either and use the owners ‘deep pockets’ to sign some cheques 

LOL

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I know, it's not an ability thing.  He's so gifted and I hate Mowbray for wasting him.  2m or something....a bargain for the right club.

Armstrong will go too...

Well if Rothwell didn't want to leave before he will now!

30 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Selling Rothwell to keep Armstrong doesn’t make any sense to me. 

There’s a player in Rothwell I think. He picks the ball from deep and can hurt teams. He is anonymous far too much but i would like to see him under a new manager before pinning that entirely on him. 

Don’t sell either and use the owners ‘deep pockets’ to sign some cheques 

LOL

Rothwell is far too inconsistent so I wouldn't be too upset if he left. Goes missing in games too often

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

https://the72.co.uk/235814/blackburn-rovers-ready-to-sell-joe-rothwell-to-give-adam-armstrong-pay-rise/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I would be if favour of selling Rothwell if order to get Armstrong to sign a new contract. We can't replace his goals or the player like for like so it's a no brainer for me.

Which I think translates to Rothwell has told them where to go and wants out.

Fair play to the lad. He's better than this shite show.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Rothwell is far too inconsistent so I wouldn't be too upset if he left. Goes missing in games too often

Barring Kaminski, all of our players are inconsistent. That’s the biggest feature of Mowbray’s tenure.

The only player fans seems to think is any good is Armstrong, the only other player than our keeper who has been consistently played regardless of form.

• Like 1

I can't see that being true, I am not convinced that there would be much interest in Rothwell and certainly none from Armstrong at signing a new deal. 

Rothwell has hid behind excuses yet has flattered to deceive throughout his Rovers career so I wouldnt lose any sleep over his departure.

@Stuart there is absolutely no way that "we are a better team" when Armstrong doesnt play. All this "Movement, interplay, passing and movement, cohesion, body language" that crops up when he is absent led this season to 4 goals in 6 league games and 2 cup games which he was missing in.

I understand your frustration that Mowbray is still in charge and I share it but this idea that Mowbray purposely creates a system with the primary objective of "artificially" boosting Armstrong's goal tally at the expense of the team is nonsense IMO aimed at added further fuel to the already blazing fire of arguments that lead to Mowbray needing to be sacked.

Also, very few goalscorers score their goals perfectly proportionate across the season, it is very common for strikers to score morre during certain runs than others, Rhodes was the same, and Armstrong's biggest drought was 6 games scattered around 5 missed due to an injury he was clearly carrying. Had he not been here this season, simply putting someone else in this supposed role would not have led to the same quantity of goals and we would have likely gone down or had been very close to doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

What’s to explain?

I’ve watched the team when Armstrong has been absent and, in my opinion, we play much more like a team. Movement, interplay, passing and movement, cohesion, body language.

There are minimal stats to back this up but last season without him we beat Millwall away, drew with Swansea and narrowly lost 1-0 to Brentford. Dack was injured by Raya and Arma was then brought back in for the following game. He was then out again and we drew with Norwich. In both runs, as soon as we lost, somebody was dropped for Armstrong.

Arma hogs the chances and no surprise scores the majority of our goals. IMHO, this is how Mowbray wants us to play but it could just be that Armstrong is one-eyed.

It's because Dolan was an absolute menace and played out of his skin, think he was a much better all rounded lone striker in terms of hold up play etc etc.

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

It's because Dolan was an absolute menace and played out of his skin, think he was a much better all rounded lone striker in terms of hold up play etc etc.

I suspect that if you played Dolan in the same role across the season as Armstrong, he would struggle to score a quarter of the goals that Armstrong managed.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I suspect that if you played Dolan in the same role across the season as Armstrong, he would struggle to score a quarter of the goals that Armstrong managed.

I dont think he would even hit double figures, there is no one in that squad Dack and Armstrong aside that will get more than 12 goals a season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I can't see that being true, I am not convinced that there would be much interest in Rothwell and certainly none from Armstrong at signing a new deal. 

Rothwell has hid behind excuses yet has flattered to deceive throughout his Rovers career so I wouldnt lose any sleep over his departure.

@Stuart there is absolutely no way that "we are a better team" when Armstrong doesnt play. All this "Movement, interplay, passing and movement, cohesion, body language" that crops up when he is absent led this season to 4 goals in 6 league games and 2 cup games which he was missing in.

I understand your frustration that Mowbray is still in charge and I share it but this idea that Mowbray purposely creates a system with the primary objective of "artificially" boosting Armstrong's goal tally at the expense of the team is nonsense IMO aimed at added further fuel to the already blazing fire of arguments that lead to Mowbray needing to be sacked.

Also, very few goalscorers score their goals perfectly proportionate across the season, it is very common for strikers to score morre during certain runs than others, Rhodes was the same, and Armstrong's biggest drought was 6 games scattered around 5 missed due to an injury he was clearly carrying. Had he not been here this season, simply putting someone else in this supposed role would not have led to the same quantity of goals and we would have likely gone down or had been very close to doing.

It’s all about opinions but come on, “flattered to deceive”. In and out of the side thanks to Mowbray’s rotation policy.

Armstrong is the product of a badly skewed management style. If Rothwell had a north east accent it would be the other way around.

Wor Adam is massively overrated and won’t be missed.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Selling Rothwell to keep Armstrong would only serve to highlight how terrible the Coventrio are at recruitment.

A proper manager would sell him and buy three gems.

Have we learned nothing from what happened with Dack?

But then again it is Nicko. He has a tombola machine to rival Tony’s.

Worth noting that Newcastle get 40% of any transfer fee above 3 million pounds so if clubs will only bid 10 million pounds? Would you sell for that? If we did sell for that then we would only 7 million pounds to spend so who are these 3 hidden gems and how to replace a 29 goals striker? Can you explain how we do this? Can you name players we could sign to replace his goals or would you change tactics and formation to make up for the loss like Move Gallagher up front and sign someone like Yates from Blackpool then play a front 2 for example

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

His stock won’t be higher than this season.

surely another 20 goals this coming season and his stock will be higher surely? 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Why would Armstrong go along with that idea? He can make a heck of a lot more money as a free agent with the exact argument you are making.

We have to sell this Summer or plan for life without him and no money.

depends on the clubs who wants him and the role he will have there? Does Armstrong want to be sub player at West Ham or Brighton? Or would he prefer to play regular first team football and scoring goals here under a new contract? 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Moving the goalposts there, Joe.

I would rather we sold Armstrong right now than Rothwell.

If we keep Armstrong and recruit using the money we make from Rothwell then we are going to really struggle.

If we keep Rothwell and strengthen using the money from Armstrong then we should be able to improve the first team.

Arma is hugely overrated IMHO

How is a 29 goals striker Armstrong overrated? can you explain that one?

If we keep Armstrong and signed a new contract and sell Rothwell why are we going to struggle given the lack of impact Rothwell had on the team and performances last season? Are we going to really miss him? Surely it means more starts for John Buckley to fill the gap?

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Guess it down to whether Armstrong wants to those PL clubs who are interested in him? and if we do sell how we replace him and play formation and style of play aswell without him? 

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Adam is massively overrated and won’t be missed.

We won't miss a 29 goals striker so Stuart who do we replace him and what he gives the team in terms of pace, movement and finishing ability? can you names any potential replacements for him?

I would keep him if we can get him to sign a new long term contract

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s all about opinions but come on, “flattered to deceive”. In and out of the side thanks to Mowbray’s rotation policy.

Armstrong is the product of a badly skewed management style. If Rothwell had a north east accent it would be the other way around.

Wor Adam is massively overrated and won’t be missed.

You had a few shandies this afternoon?

Also, re an earlier point, maybe the reason Arma is greedy is that he has no faith in his team mates finding the onion bag?

They aren’t really any good at it, tbf....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

depends on the clubs who wants him and the role he will have there? Does Armstrong want to be sub player at West Ham or Brighton? Or would he prefer to play regular first team football and scoring goals here under a new contract? 

Would he rather be a Premiership player earning at least double perhaps even treble the money or play for a club struggling around the bottom half of the Championship. It's a really tough one. There is absolutely no reason for Armstrong to sign a new contract with us even if he doesn't get a Premiership move Championship teams with ambition would snap him up in an instant on a free transfer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Armstrong will go too...

You know and I know that players who can carry the ball from inside your own half to the last third beating people on the way are priceless. They’re murder to play against if you’re a defender. Rothwell can do that, he just doesn’t do it often enough. I don’t know the lad but it strikes me as though that’s just the way he is.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You know and I know that players who can carry the ball from inside your own half to the last third beating people on the way are priceless. They’re murder to play against if you’re a defender. Rothwell can do that, he just doesn’t do it often enough. I don’t know the lad but it strikes me as though that’s just the way he is.

His manager doesn't allow him the freedom.  I can imagine Mogadon tutting as JR tries a trick or turn etc....He needs to know he plays next week even if he's shit this week.  Mog is a shit manager.  A young vibrant attacking manager will grab himself a bargain if they sign him.

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Worth noting that Newcastle get 40% of any transfer fee above 3 million pounds so if clubs will only bid 10 million pounds? Would you sell for that? If we did sell for that then we would only 7 million pounds to spend so who are these 3 hidden gems and how to replace a 29 goals striker? Can you explain how we do this? Can you name players we could sign to replace his goals or would you change tactics and formation to make up for the loss like Move Gallagher up front and sign someone like Yates from Blackpool then play a front 2 for example

surely another 20 goals this coming season and his stock will be higher surely? 

How is a 29 goals striker Armstrong overrated? can you explain that one?

If we keep Armstrong and signed a new contract and sell Rothwell why are we going to struggle given the lack of impact Rothwell had on the team and performances last season? Are we going to really miss him? Surely it means more starts for John Buckley to fill the gap?

For me the thing that has gone wrong this season is not the personnel in the squad, but the formation we played. I still think 4-4-2 is better for the squad we have. I would start games 4-4-2, then if we need to shut-out a game, use subs to go to a 4-3-3