BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Rothwell leaving is good news for me. Move him on if we can.

I find his inconsistency frustrating. It is players like him who give us false hope. His moments of brilliance are rare, I can only remember 4/5 occasions where he has produced something of significance and the data we are being led by could suggest this.

Happy to be proved wrong.

2 minutes ago, bringdunnback said:

Rothwell leaving is good news for me. Move him on if we can.

I find his inconsistency frustrating. It is players like him who give us false hope. His moments of brilliance are rare, I can only remember 4/5 occasions where he has produced something of significance and the data we are being led by could suggest this.

Happy to be proved wrong.

What is needed to be done, is to get replacements in before we sell. Not get rid of someone, then try to fill the hole. You invariably end up with a panic buy, worse player. 

36 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You had a few shandies this afternoon?

Also, re an earlier point, maybe the reason Arma is greedy is that he has no faith in his team mates finding the onion bag?

They aren’t really any good at it, tbf....

Yes, of course, it’s not Mowbray or Armstrong being selfish, it’s the other 30 people involved in the first team set up!

32 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Would he rather be a Premiership player earning at least double perhaps even treble the money or play for a club struggling around the bottom half of the Championship. It's a really tough one. There is absolutely no reason for Armstrong to sign a new contract with us even if he doesn't get a Premiership move Championship teams with ambition would snap him up in an instant on a free transfer. 

Depends whether Armstrong is obsess by money or by playing football and scoring goals not sitting on the bench at a premier league club. 

Looks at Rhodes's career or Gestede's career or Marshall's career went after leaving Rovers 

18 minutes ago, rigger said:

For me the thing that has gone wrong this season is not the personnel in the squad, but the formation we played. I still think 4-4-2 is better for the squad we have. I would start games 4-4-2, then if we need to shut-out a game, use subs to go to a 4-3-3

I think its abit of both to be honest between his signings he made in the last 2 seasons, his obsession with this passing style philosophy without having the right players, his team selections and sticking with 4-3-3 when 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 looks the better option to me. 

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Yes, of course, it’s not Mowbray or Armstrong being selfish, it’s the other 30 people involved in the first team set up!

Stuart, How do we replace Armstrong and his goals then? any suggestions of replacements? 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Depends whether Armstrong is obsess by money or by playing football and scoring goals not sitting on the bench at a premier league club. 

Looks at Rhodes's career or Gestede's career or Marshall's career went after leaving Rovers 

If you think Armstrong is going to want to stay here you are deluding yourself. Why would any footballer with aspirations want to stay at a club where the maximum ambition is a mid table finish in the 2nd tier? Even if Armstrong doesn't get offers from Premiership clubs he won't be short on offers from ambitious Championship clubs who will want him to fire them to promotion who would also no doubt give him a nice wage rise as well. 

I doubt he will look at Rhodes, Gestede and Marshall's career and make his decision on that because he will quite rightly have faith in his own ability. Also why not include the likes of King, Duffy, Hanley and Cairney who have all gone on to better things since leaving us.

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd rather keep Rothwell and sell Armstrong.

I genuinely can't come close to understanding why that would be your sentiment.

24 year old who just bagged 28 goals, most since Shearer, or 26 year old who absolutely can turn it on but only notches about 5 goal contributions a season. It's the definition of a no brainer.

Definitely won't find any clubs willing to part with 15 million for Rothwell. I like having him around but he isn't anywhere near as important as our main goal threat.

I think Armstrong scored more with his weaker left foot this season (10) than Rothwell has total goals in all his time with us.

He scored more with his left foot than Brereton or Gallagher, our only two other attackers, scored in total this season. Not far off as many with it as those two scored combined (13?) I believe.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

If you think Armstrong is going to want to stay here you are deluding yourself. Why would any footballer with aspirations want to stay at a club where the maximum ambition is a mid table finish in the 2nd tier? Even if Armstrong doesn't get offers from Premiership clubs he won't be short on offers from ambitious Championship clubs who will want him to fire them to promotion who would also no doubt give him a nice wage rise as well. 

Well lets see and what happens with Armstrong. I did say I would keep Armstrong here if he signs a new contract otherwise we have sell but get the price we want given that Newcastle get 40% of any money above 3 mil pounds we paid for him. 

Most Championship clubs will be cutting back on wages and fees they are paying this summer and it will only clubs who are relegated from PL or clubs who sell players before they buy. What Championship club apart from the 3 clubs relegated from PL who will be in the Championship this coming season can afford to buy him?

When you get 29 goals in a season and the fans think that you're "inconsistent", "a liability", "greedy", "holding us back", "Shoots too often" , you're perfectly entitled to say, "right I'm off" and go with my best wishes personally.

I wouldn't blame Adam Armstrong if he jumped ship to a relegated PL side because he's certainly not well thought of here by the fans.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Most Championship clubs will be cutting back on wages and fees they are paying this summer and it will only clubs who are relegated from PL or clubs who sell players before they buy. What Championship club apart from the 3 clubs relegated from PL who will be in the Championship this coming season can afford to buy him?

If Bournemouth don't go up they could probably afford him. If Brentford don't go up they probably sell Toney so would have the funds. But come the end of this season sides won't need to pay a fee for him. Armstrong holds all the cards in regards to his future and we don't hold any, be it negotiating with Armstrong over his contract or with other clubs over a fee for him we are negotiating from a very weak position. I honestly struggle to see us getting anything above £15 Million for him.

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

If Bournemouth don't go up they could probably afford him. If Brentford don't go up they probably sell Toney so would have the funds. But come the end of this season sides won't need to pay a fee for him. Armstrong holds all the cards in regards to his future and we don't hold any, be it negotiating with Armstrong over his contract or with other clubs over a fee for him we are negotiating from a very weak position. I honestly struggle to see us getting anything above £15 Million for him.

and who did Bournemouth buy this past season? They don't need a striker they need a quality manager. 

Yet again Brentford would have to sell to buy but is a very different type of striker to Toney tho. 

This i9s why I said I would keep Armstrong only if we could get him to sign a new contract unless we have to sell and replace him somehow. If we do sell it will be interest who we sign to replace him with. I have suggested to going back to playing 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and playing with a target man and pacey striker in front 2 or goalscorer number 10 with a striker in 4-2-3-1. What do you think of that Idea?

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

When you get 29 goals in a season and the fans think that you're "inconsistent", "a liability", "greedy", "holding us back", "Shoots too often" , you're perfectly entitled to say, "right I'm off" and go with my best wishes personally.

I wouldn't blame Adam Armstrong if he jumped ship to a relegated PL side because he's certainly not well thought of here by the fans.

Let's just make a slight adjustment shall we to..."he's certainly not well thought of here by a few, bigoted fans"!

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Stuart, How do we replace Armstrong and his goals then? any suggestions of replacements? 

No. I think that if/when Armstrong leaves we will never score another goal and will be relegated in record time with the highest negative GD in history.

Ask me another.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

No. I think that if/when Armstrong leaves we will never score another goal and will be relegated in record time with the highest negative GD in history.

Ask me another.

So Stuart, you haver no idea who we could target as possible replacement for Armstrong if we sold him? I gave a list a few weeks if not a couple of months ago. here is a link to the 6 players I suggested as possible Armstrong's replacements https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/33479-adam-armstrong/?do=findComment&comment=2181248

Shame you cant do it given all the footballing tools out there

You have suggested we could get 3 gems with the Armstrong money but suggestion no names who these players are. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

34 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Ask me another.

I thought you said:

Gallagher playing as CF and being given the same freedom would bring similar results IMHO.

Your quoted response is a facetious response to a reasonable question.

I don’t understand your unrelenting focus on making Armstrong out to be a weak point in our team. He’s the best striker we’ve had in a long long time, certainly since Rhodes and probably since the PL days.

We absolutely should try our utmost to get Arma to sign another contract, ideally with a view to providing the goals that will get us promoted, at worst with a view to making a huge profit on him which must be on the cards. Strikers that get over 20 goals a season should be celebrated, not damned with faint praise or criticised. The question of rothwell or Arma is ludicrous and a complete non-starter when you compare both player’s contributions. 

Edited by The Hypnotic
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Selling Rothwell to keep Armstrong doesn’t make any sense to me. 

There’s a player in Rothwell I think. He picks the ball from deep and can hurt teams. He is anonymous far too much but i would like to see him under a new manager before pinning that entirely on him. 

Don’t sell either and use the owners ‘deep pockets’ to sign some cheques 

LOL

Would be the right thing to do (from the owners) if it weren't for FFP. Sadly the owners have the convenient excuse of needing to cut our cloth accordingly because of it. What happened to Sheff Wednesday shows that trying to find a way around it is a risk these days.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I genuinely can't come close to understanding why that would be your sentiment.

24 year old who just bagged 28 goals, most since Shearer, or 26 year old who absolutely can turn it on but only notches about 5 goal contributions a season. It's the definition of a no brainer.

Definitely won't find any clubs willing to part with 15 million for Rothwell. I like having him around but he isn't anywhere near as important as our main goal threat.

I think Armstrong scored more with his weaker left foot this season (10) than Rothwell has total goals in all his time with us.

He scored more with his left foot than Brereton or Gallagher, our only two other attackers, scored in total this season. Not far off as many with it as those two scored combined (13?) I believe.

He scored 28 goals, 5 of those were penalties (he missed 3). It's a nice stat in isolation, but hardly outstanding. When you factor in the amount of attacks he ends and chances he wastes - let's just say he's not a PL striker in my eyes. If someone offered silly money (anything over £10m) I'm laughing all the way to the bank. 

For mine the team, hilariously, looked more threatening with Dolan playing at #9 as he ran his socks off. The team would absolutely look more balanced with Brereton or Gallagher playing as the #9 as at least they can hold the ball up (Gallagher less so than Brereton). 

Also why are you comparing the goal tallies of a Central Midfielder and 2 Wide Forwards (who are asked to track back) with a #9 who has free license? That seems odd. 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

It’s all about opinions but come on, “flattered to deceive”. In and out of the side thanks to Mowbray’s rotation policy.

Armstrong is the product of a badly skewed management style. If Rothwell had a north east accent it would be the other way around.

Wor Adam is massively overrated and won’t be missed.

Won't be missed?! Ok, nonsense about Armstrong aside and focusing on Rothwell aside, he has started 29 of the 39 games he has been fit in, from a central position that he craved, and coming on in the other 10. He has contributed very little.

I think it is more than a north east accent that he is lacking.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Guess it down to whether Armstrong wants to those PL clubs who are interested in him? and if we do sell how we replace him and play formation and style of play aswell without him? 

It makes no sense for Armstrong to sign a new deal, even if he doesnt go this summer the power is with him. 

Regarding us, I dread to think where we go with Mowbray in charge and an inferior replacement, more reliance on the 12m duo and a relegation fight.

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He scored 28 goals, 5 of those were penalties (he missed 3). It's a nice stat in isolation, but hardly outstanding. When you factor in the amount of attacks he ends and chances he wastes - let's just say he's not a PL striker in my eyes. If someone offered silly money (anything over £10m) I'm laughing all the way to the bank. 

For mine the team, hilariously, looked more threatening with Dolan playing at #9 as he ran his socks off. The team would absolutely look more balanced with Brereton or Gallagher playing as the #9 as at least they can hold the ball up (Gallagher less so than Brereton). 

Also why are you comparing the goal tallies of a Central Midfielder and 2 Wide Forwards (who are asked to track back) with a #9 who has free license? That seems odd. 

Its the most in the league of any striker once you remove penalties. "Hardly outstanding" though in your eyes.

He missed 8 games, we scored 4 goals in those.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Rubbish 

Every player is open to criticism. 29 goals or not. 

Some of those things above are legitimate, some I didn't actually see anyone say. Holding us back and a liability? Did anyone actually say that? 

Anyway, I doubt his decision will have anything to do with what the fans think. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It is outstanding. As roversfan99 said, take out the penalties for all of them and he tops the league for goals scored from open play. How is that not outstanding? Whether he is a PL striker is irrelevant (though, he is for me...he won't notch 28 up there but he is an average or bottom half Prem level player for me) as we aren't in the PL.

If you'd consider 10 mill for a player who just scored as many as he did a laughably great deal, I'm glad you're not in charge. And given who we have in charge, that's saying something. Properly contracted English players with pace and that many goals are worth closer to triple that.

Thought Dolan did fine in that role but I don't think we can expect that every week from him yet and there are other places he can play.

I compared those two because they are the alternatives and there is zero evidence they could hit even half those goals. Wide they may be, but Brereton fluffs more chances than Arma, and though Gally should be given a chance there when Arma is out (and actually has been on occasion), he is a very long way from proving he can do the business there. The point was simple, that we have no proven source of goals without him. Nobody honestly believes either of those could get close to his figures. That's a much bigger problem than Rothwell not being there to make 1 or 2 barnstorming runs a game on average, 90% of which lead to nothing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It makes no sense for Armstrong to sign a new deal, even if he doesnt go this summer the power is with him. 

Regarding us, I dread to think where we go with Mowbray in charge and an inferior replacement, more reliance on the 12m duo and a relegation fight.

It makes no sense to you but its depends what Armstrong wants and what Rovers wants. I not going to judge him on it cos we don't know the player or what his wishes are. 

for me, it depends on who we recruit this summer whether Armstrong stays or go and most of the championship clubs will be cutting back on wages and outgoings. Its going to challenging summer for most of this clubs at this level this summer. You got Boro and Bristol City looking to Luton striker James Collins being one of the transfer stories today