BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

26 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Time will tell with Rothwell but in a good footballing side well managed like Brentford he will be a top player imo.

He's bound to get a good move. Probably the only player apart from Armstrong, Travis and Kaminski who would get a move to a side above us in the table.

Been thinking he might end up at Brentford. They would suit him much better, although their scouts may raise question marks over his consistency. Be interesting to see if that changed in a different system though.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

It was better. 'Much' better is maybe a stretch. It was decent apart from the core weaknesses. The terrible two in central midfield, and for much of the time, like today, a flimsy defence. It was briefly solid in the centre of defence at least, but then we promptly lost Hanley and Duffy. I can't recall if that was before or after Cairney left.

Cairney wide was a criminal misuse of a player by shunting them wide. TM would have been proud of it. He was actually more effective even there than the current incumbents though. Was fuming when we sold him on the cheap.

Cairney was sold first from under GBs nose allegedly.  Just before the season i think although might be wrong on that.

It opened to gates for the fire sale though.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 21:44, chaddyrovers said:

not interested in Boro connections. But we need a left side midfield and I would prefer left footer one. Also suggested Callum O'Dowda from Bristol City as another one I would look at

Reach is useless - read wednsday fans about him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think that Rothwell more than anyone gets his own performances and reputation almost shielded by the bigger issue that is the overall failings of the manager.

He obviously could maybe argue that he may have been coached better (although its basically impossible to judge) and indeed he may move on and push on in his career, but he is not this unappreciated talent that is being prevented from expressing himself by Mowbray.

His CV prior to joining was underwhelming, so its not as if hes proven that he can perform regularly beforehand. His dribbling ability is very good but his football brain seems to be lacking unfortunately. He played this last season regularly from a favoured central run and continued to flatter to deceive.

Comparisons to Cairney are also unfair as Cairney was regularly performing here prior to leaving.

Ultimately, he is a Mowbray signing so either way, it doesnt reflect well on him and this isnt a defence of him. And I am not opposed to him staying by any means. I dont think he has any justification in thinking that he is above a mid table Championship midfielder though.

You dont rate Rothwell, we get it. Sorry man, i agree with a lot you say but you have a tendency to have real hate for some players. Under a different manager, a player of Rothwells talents would bloom. You always over site end product but then diminish other modern stats - which is it? 

• Like 1

The guys tires to make things happen from CM. I dont care if he scored 4 goals or assisted 2. I know he does a better job creatively than an Evans or Bennett. His driving runs scare the live out of teams and it is that which creates chances whether or not he played the final pass.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Time will tell with Rothwell but in a good footballing side well managed like Brentford he will be a top player imo.

He's bound to get a good move. Probably the only player apart from Armstrong, Travis and Kaminski who would get a move to a side above us in the table.

Yup, my thinking also. Someone will get a steal.

26 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

You dont rate Rothwell, we get it. Sorry man, i agree with a lot you say but you have a tendency to have real hate for some players. Under a different manager, a player of Rothwells talents would bloom. You always over site end product but then diminish other modern stats - which is it? 

Its not that I dont rate him and indeed I said that I would be happy to see him stay and if the next season started tomorrow I would start him.

I just feel that he is regularly made out to be hard done by, when in fact hes 26 and has never consistently performed here and wasnt scoring and assisting loads prior to the last 3 years. I feel like its almost symbolic to be able to put his lack of consistent performance and end product onto the already vast fire of evidence that points to Mowbray needing to be sacked, but even playing regularly centrally this season as he wishes, I dont think hes done anywhere near enough.

Contributing with goals and assists is a little more clear cut than things like "progressive runs" "pass completion" and things like that, goals and assists are the important thing and the bread and butter.

Youve compared him to Evans for example, he is a defensive midfielder deemed not good enough for us so its an irrelevant comparison. Rothwells driving runs almost exclusively end in him losing the ball or messing up the end bit.

I dont doubt that he has ability and certain attributes but his all round game is in my opinion no better than mid table Championship standard.

I dont hate any Rovers players, I just get frustrated by quite a few of what I consider to be a pretty poor squad built by Mowbray. With a number(some have thankfully left) such as Bennett, Bell etc they frustrate me because they arent up to it and they cost my team. Rothwell is more complex, I dont have that same feeling of doom when I see his name because he unlike some others has something about him but he almost exclusively frustrates yet hides behind excuses, needs to play in this position, would do better in this team, has been poorly coached etc. 

I like Rothwell and as we transition on the counter he comes into his own but there's no doubt he needs to add goals and assists to his game. 

That part of his game hasn't really progressed in his time here so I agree with a lot of the comments, he doesn't appear to be coached to his needs or the ability just isn't there.

I would like to see him stay and have a year with a different coaching setup, someone like Duff who could beat his man, score goals and assist.

Wishful thinking I know...

That said, it's not just about JR. If he dazzles past 4 players and there is no runner or movement, cut passing lanes in front of him etc., he's going to lose the ball when it can be those around him as much as he, especially when teams sit in

Edited by Southside Rover
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Southside Rover said:

I like Rothwell and as we transition on the counter he comes into his own but there's no doubt he needs to add goals and assists to his game. 

He's had to compete first with Dack, they are similar positionallly when both played in their best positions.  Now he gets a bit more look in Mowbray shunts him here and there, drops him, gives him defensive responsibility and then throws him under the bus when he fails in that department.  

He needs to be used every week in the same position.  A good manager would find that system and position to get the best out of him.  Technically our best player a complete crime to get such little end product.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Apparently we're strong in the goalkeeper position as we have Kaminski, buy of the season for 450k and, wait for it....

Ansley Pears.

Have you seen him play Mr Journo?

At least I started the day with a laugh 😂😂

Quote ''There was also a small fee paid for back-up option Aynsley Pears ..........Antonis Stergiakis was a last minute deal in October''

You might even think from reading that article that Pears joined Rovers before Stergiakis ......

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

never consistently performed here

Most of our players don’t consistently perform, and that’s because they aren’t consistently played.

As long as Mowbray is here players like Rothwell will come and go and won’t achieve their potential.

Dolan will be next; any desire to get forward and be imaginative will be coached out of him.

We are set up to try to get the best out of one player. A strategy which made that player look good, and who probably really enjoyed his season, but ultimately a strategy which took a club with play-off ambitions to 15th, ending with a run of three wins in five to help erase fans’ memories as they ease into the Summer just as the pubs open.

Get those shirts bought lads and get behind Tony and the boys.

• Like 1

Won't Kaminski have to be sold this summer, for the same reason as Armstrong, that we risk him going for nothing next year?

Then it is Pears and the Greek lad for a Championship season.

Not a reason to be confident really.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Won't Kaminski have to be sold this summer, for the same reason as Armstrong, that we risk him going for nothing next year?

Then it is Pears and the Greek lad for a Championship season.

Not a reason to be confident really.

Rovers have a 12 month extension option on him

As others have mooted - Rothwell does something defences hate, and that's run at them from a central position. It forces the central defenders to either try and make a tackle often or retreat - in either case opening doors for the attacking team.

It cannot be denied that when Rothwell, Johnson and Holtby started together towards the start of this season we looked our most effective.

Rothwell, along with Nyambe, are firmly in the "Keep" column for me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Most of our players don’t consistently perform, and that’s because they aren’t consistently played.

As long as Mowbray is here players like Rothwell will come and go and won’t achieve their potential.

Dolan will be next; any desire to get forward and be imaginative will be coached out of him.

We are set up to try to get the best out of one player. A strategy which made that player look good, and who probably really enjoyed his season, but ultimately a strategy which took a club with play-off ambitions to 15th, ending with a run of three wins in five to help erase fans’ memories as they ease into the Summer just as the pubs open.

Get those shirts bought lads and get behind Tony and the boys.

2 more excuses for Rothwell, not being consistently played on the back of a season when he played regularly from a preferred area of the pitch, and of course the nonsense about the team being purposely set up to make Armstrong look good, which I dont want to get into again. Either way, no personal responsibility towards the player even though the first excuse has this season been invalidated.

The problem is that criticising a player seems to be perceived as backing of the manager which is nonsensical because Mowbray signed him anyway so either way the blame goes back to him.

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's had to compete first with Dack, they are similar positionallly when both played in their best positions.  Now he gets a bit more look in Mowbray shunts him here and there, drops him, gives him defensive responsibility and then throws him under the bus when he fails in that department.  

He needs to be used every week in the same position.  A good manager would find that system and position to get the best out of him.  Technically our best player a complete crime to get such little end product.

Fully agree Sparks. I get the impression that Rothwell is very much a confidence player.

If he has a good game, he needs to be kept in the team, not dropped the following week.

If one of his runs doesn't work out, he needs a "never mind, keep going Joe!" not a bollocking for losing the ball. 

Defenders hate having someone run at them at that kind of pace and we have no-one else who can really do that effectively. I'm fully in the keep him club, but, as always, we need a different voice with a different mindset in the dressing room! 

FOM!

• Like 4