BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

4 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Chaddy, we would never have got near the top 6 if Lambert had stayed. 

We will agree to disagree on this. He knew what was needed and who he wanted. Graham was his key player in his attack. Plus I think Hanley or Duffy wouldnt have wanted out

3 hours ago, J*B said:

As in don’t think anyone will buy him this summer and he will sign a new deal. 

If Armstrong has ambitions of playing in the premiership there is no way he will sign a new deal. He could have another good season and walk away on a free. Why tie himself down by increasing the price Rovers could demand if he has an extended contract.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

If Armstrong has ambitions of playing in the premiership there is no way he will sign a new deal. He could have another good season and walk away on a free. Why tie himself down by increasing the price Rovers could demand if he has an extended contract.

Unless it has a fairly low release clause of course...

18 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Perhaps he loves playing under TM?

24 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Lambert was recruited to sell Rhodes.

Job done, he exercised his pre-arranged escape clause.

He expected the Rhodes cash is another theory. Give me a break. Lambert was never that stupid.

According to an ex director employed at that time he was promised cash AND the Rhodes money.  That's the only reason he took the job on in the first place so i'm reasonably on board with that theory.

He wasn't totally stupid though you are right, hence the escape clause. A complete twohat would just sit on as long a contract as he could wrangle until he got a payoff.

hint hint

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Perhaps he loves playing under TM?

Iv'e no doubt he does as TM has been very good to him and for him. We have to accept a lot of them like him and follow his instructions to the letter. 

He seems very much a players manager, over and above points and results at times by the look and sound of him.  He bends over backwards for his favs and treats even the most useless as a nursery project until they get fit and get contracts elsewhere. At the cost of our clubs money....

Also seems the type to freeze out or weed quite quickly out those who don't exactly worship him. There'd be quite a few bottom lips out around the place if he got potted but i think that's exactly what a lot of our players actually need.

They need a bit of a culture shock instead of coasting it protected under the managers umbrella of excuses.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He expected the Rhodes cash is another theory. Give me a break. Lambert was never that stupid.

So Lambert is the real villain of the piece?

Not Anderson, or Anderson Jr, not Kean, not Shaw, not Coyle, not Waggott or Mowbray, not the series of shysters who have happily taken the Venkys coin and laughed all the way to the bank.

No, it was Lambert all along. Of course, it all makes sense. The very idea that Venkys would renege on promises or do anything other than absolutely respect the Jack Walker legacy. It’s so simple, it’s genius now you’ve explained it.

Pretending along that Venkys couldn’t be trusted, when we all know different, just so he could walk away without a pay-off.  How did he ever think he could get away with it…?

ECE5386E-FF4A-4261-B4C9-AB3C2FDCCB45.jpeg.bcdb58de14faa2ea62a30e41a884a6ab.jpeg

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I think it went further than that.

I think Lambert was sold the same bull%hit that we fans have been sold since day 1.

That we have billionaire owners that never refuse funding requests. That the owners love the club and want it to prosper and succeed. That they will provide a war chest to get promotion. It goes on and on. They and their associates/stooges have been trotting that line since day one of their ownership and continue to this day. It's all nonsense and hollow words.

The actual reality of what happens in comparison to what they say/claim/want people to think is very different.

Lambert probably saw what many others see - a once great club with all the facilities and structure in place to succeed and thought the owners might back him on that. It was a sensible move by him to include a break clause in his contract if it didn't work out. But maybe it suited them just as much - they got Paul Senior in on a similar sort of temporary arrangement to keep the locals quiet for a few months and then he 'resigned' at the end of the season.

He's the only one of their 7 managers who was able to walk out and get a similar job elsewhere. The rest have all ended up in the backwaters of League Two or abroad.

I think the penny dropped quite quickly with Lambert that they weren't going to stump up the considerable cash that would be needed, so he then moved on to plan B which was to sell Rhodes for big money and in doing so get permission to spend those funds rebuilding the squad, avoiding the need for the owners to cough up the funds. 

Then when they wouldn't even authorise that it was quite clear there was no way forward. We'll get the same this summer with Armstrong if he departs - anyone thinking cash will be reinvested is deluded.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Lambert wasn't recruited to sell Rhodes but I did say from the day he was appointed that he would sell Rhodes in January and bring in the strikers he wanted to play with long term. Lmabert has always played with a Target man striker with pacey striker or skillful number 10. Rhodes fits not of those roles so would he keep him. Look at the 3 strikers Lambert recruited in January, Graham on loan who I believe Lambert would have signed permanent in summer on a free, Watt on loan with a view to 2 million move in the summer and Jackson on a free. Each fits their roles. 

He was clever and knowledge to put in a release clause cos clearly he didnt trust Venkys to follow through with their promises of funded and didn't want to be stuck here. 

@tomphilpost is correct on this subject

1 hour ago, Crimpshrine said:

Depends on who is interest from Premier League and what they are willing to offer. I think he wants a return to Newcastle and maybe Bruce isnt interested this summer. 

Plus why not get a pay rise and more secure in a new bigger contract

On the Ryan Gauld rumours. Watched him at Hibs a couple of years ago when he was on loan, and he was poor. Decent technically, but athletically not up to the game in Scotland, hence why he moved abroad. Unless he has spent an inordinate amount of time in the gym then I don’t get the fit. We have Buckley for that role.

I think we need big, fast and strong midfielders if we are too persist with this  4-3-3.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

On the Ryan Gauld rumours. Watched him at Hibs a couple of years ago when he was on loan, and he was poor. Decent technically, but athletically not up to the game in Scotland, hence why he moved abroad. Unless he has spent an inordinate amount of time in the gym then I don’t get the fit. We have Buckley for that role.

I think we need big, fast and strong midfielders if we are too persist with this  4-3-3.

Like the way reading bulldozed through our midfield earlier this season.  None of ours could live physically with theirs.

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Like the way reading bulldozed through our midfield earlier this season.  None of ours could live physically with theirs.

Yeah Reading were a nightmare, we couldn’t cope with their athleticism. The boy RB they had was ridiculously good, as was Olise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Iv'e no doubt he does as TM has been very good to him and for him. We have to accept a lot of them like him and follow his instructions to the letter. 

He seems very much a players manager, over and above points and results at times by the look and sound of him.  He bends over backwards for his favs and treats even the most useless as a nursery project until they get fit and get contracts elsewhere. At the cost of our clubs money....

Also seems the type to freeze out or weed quite quickly out those who don't exactly worship him. There'd be quite a few bottom lips out around the place if he got potted but i think that's exactly what a lot of our players actually need.

They need a bit of a culture shock instead of coasting it protected under the managers umbrella of excuses.

I can image as long as he likes you and you do what he asks he treats you well, but that's not what a manager is there to do. I completely agree that a large number of our players need a manager that pushes them, makes them graft etc etc and TM clearly doesn't as you say. People often don't like being told to do more, work harder and so having a laxadaisy gaffer probably suits the modern player.

I'm now quite concerned thinking about AA signing a new deal, as one thing I noticed from the players salaries was certain ones are over paid.  IE the ones he likes and has signed, given his love for AA and his goals, I wonder what sort of salary TM would offer him? I can't remember Dacks (my phone always changes his name to sacks lol) but it must be pretty high for us these days and AA has generated more interest than Dack. Would TM offer him 25-30k to sign, decimating our budget in the process? Course the Muppet would, but can we actually afford that in relation to other areas of the team? Bennett 10k etc etc, his buddies get looked after for sure. I am convinced TM is going to royally shaft us this summer and we will suffer badly for his incompetence.

I hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

According to an ex director employed at that time he was promised cash AND the Rhodes money.  That's the only reason he took the job on in the first place so i'm reasonably on board with that theory.

He wasn't totally stupid though you are right, hence the escape clause. A complete twohat would just sit on as long a contract as he could wrangle until he got a payoff.

hint hint

I heard the same at the time, hired to achieve promotion, promised dollar and the Rhodes money to do so. Rhodes was sold he got bugger all to spend and he jumped and rightly so.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Gauld and Dack don't fit in the starting 11, both play the same role and you are right he is light weight.

35 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Gauld and Dack don't fit in the starting 11, both play the same role and you are right he is light weight.

The thing is, at the moment Dack is not in the starting 11. I would be more tempted to change to a 4-4-2 system until Dack returns

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't give him a new contract. Release him and move on

Would be excellent news for the club, fans and Mowbray

depends what these supposedly interested PL clubs are saying? Maybe they dont want to pay our asking price or Armstrong isn't interested moving away in these clubs and wants a return to Newcastle?

It's too early to know any of this though 

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

The thing is, at the moment Dack is not in the starting 11. I would be more tempted to change to a 4-4-2 system until Dack returns

Who would be in midfield 4 and the 2 up front? 

Does it include Buckley? Why not play Buckley as number 10 in 4-2-3-1? 

Not against playing 4-4-2 but we need a left foot left winger and good defensive midfield partner for Travis to make it work for me? 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's too early to know any of this though 

I'm wasn't expecting answers today btw

3 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I have to agree with you I can't see what Armstrong gets out of a new deal? He could get a £5-10k a week bump, but still would likely make hugely more moving in Jan or Summer.

I suppose on the other hand a long term deal protects him if he gets a serious injury or something. And he may be thinking "I'm happy enough here, as as well get paid more and someone can pay the big money to get me".

I would be very pleasantly surprised if he signs a new deal. Feels very optimistic though.

23 minutes ago, rigger said:

Whilst I wouldn't mind us trying that, I'm not sure if we have the players to do it.  Our midfield is rather powderpuff and I think we need 3 in there. Trouble is we have TM so even if we did go 442, he'd probably have Gally wide right Gauld up front with Buckley and BB left, such his is obsession with square pegs and round holes hehe.

I personally am completely against the Taylor Hardwood Bellis, why are we openly offering to produce someone else's player it's absolutely pathetic.

THB isn't going to help us get promoted or stay up.

Let's play our own academy players and develop them than develop some pathetic clubs youth academy.

• Like 5