BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Strange really. Take the last season out of the equation and nobody on here would be interested in signing Mowett.  His stats are average to say the least.

I put it to you that this manager has got a tune out of him where others have managed a bog standard midfielder for the last few years.  Mowbray cannot get a tune out of anyone so if I was him I'd stay at Barnsley. 

His wiki reads a bit better than you're giving him credit for. Broke through at Leeds at what I make to be about 18. Their Young Player of the Year and third in Player of the Year that season. Next season was their Player of the Year (fans, players and local rag clean sweep), still aged about 20.

Seems like he may have gone off the boil for a bit after to end up at Barnsley and then loaned to Oxford half a season later. Seems to have got him back on track though, and in the 19-20 season he was their Player of the Year.

I don't know the player really but he sounds like he puts in a defensive shift? If so, the fact he has 8-9 goals in three of his full seasons at the age of 26 is fairly impressive for that type of midfielder. He could be a bit more box to box or all-action than I'm thinking though. And although you said excluding this season, it wouldn't be fair to ignore that he has just captained, been an integral part of and finished 2nd in player of the season for a club that were this season's biggest over-achievers by far.

None of which matters as it doesn't seem at all likely to be one we will be able to pull off. But compared to some of the trash we have had in midfield, it seems a good punt on a free if we could.

• Like 2

Not a snowball's chance in hell of Mowatt joining us.

At worse, if he leaves Barnsley, he'll have a choice of real PROGRESSIVE Championship clubs.

Think Rovers fecked with Armstrong.  Accept what's on the table or risk having a very disenchanted player on the books who'll leave for nowt in 12 months time.  Between a rock and a hard place to put it mildly.

If they are considering selling Rothwell to use the money top try and keep Armstrong, then i don't know on what planet they'd be able to prise Barnsleys best player away.

We probably 'enquired' about him though.....

4 hours ago, davulsukur said:

According to that, they only want to pay £10m. 

Gotta be a non starter at our end considering the amount we have to give Newcastle.

Not if we got a Hugill or Idah as part of the Armstrong's deal if Norwich were to bid. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely no chance of him coming here in a month of Sundays. Why would he, hes the captain of an upwardly mobile team who finished 5th, and every time I see them, he looks the part. Either staying at the club hes at now, or playing the market whereby at least top Championship clubs would love him on a free are both far superior options to coming to a club on a downward trajectory. Its unlikely that we could even offer him more money than Barnsley which shows where we are at.

Yet again, we have no idea on the terms he been offered by Barnsley or by other teams. Why can't we offer him better terms than Barnsley?

58 minutes ago, J*B said:

I know it hardly ever happens, but if I was in charge of selling Armstrong I’d be asking for players in exchange and contributions towards their salaries to avoid paying that 40% transfer clause. 

exactly why I suggested Hugill as part of the deal. reduce the fee for Newcastle. 

6 minutes ago, gumboots said:

It doesn't happen because it involves too many variables. They have to offer a player you want, at a valuation you can agree on. He has to want to move to your club. Its much harder than a straight purchase. 

I have something rattling around in my head about a case where a club, possibly us or someone we were dealing with actually, made a case for a player's value in a player swap deal having been artificially deflated to skirt a sell on, and that they should pay more for the sell on.

Course I can neither 1) Guarantee my mind hasn't fabricated this, nor 2) Remember how, if it happened, it turned out.

Just thought it might trigger someone else's (better) memory if it was real.

FWIW, Barnsley's wage bill is by far the lowest in the division. Our 19/20 wages were twice theirs (~£25m vs £11m). So it's not all that unimaginable that we'd be able to offer Mowatt a far better wage package.

Barnsley are heavy into analytics and value-for-money (ahem, "Moneyball") and their turnover (and wages/turnover!) are quite low, so I don't see them getting into a bidding war. Making the playoffs was a hell of an accomplishment, but last year was sadly hardly going to be a money spinner for them...

Now, if Mowatt has other Championship suitors, it's certainly a fair question why he'd choose us.

• Like 1

Nobody is paying £20 million for Armstrong. The club can try and create a bidding war but it won't happen. If we got near to £15 million I'd be pleasantly surprised.

That's not me saying Armstrong isn't worth £20 million. Because in this day and age I think he is - he has everything that attracts a premium price in today's world - English, scores goals, still young, bags of pace and good injury record. All those attributes should bump prices up considerably.

We should be sat here relaxed and rubbing our hands like Brentford did with Ollie Watkins. We should have Armstrong down to 2,3,4 years and be putting our feet up waiting for someone to come in and bid for him and being able to name our price. Then its a win-win situation because if he was sold we'd be able to spend heavily on the squad and if he wasn't we'd be set for another 20 odd goals next season.

But in view of his contractual situation his price will be much less. The crying shame is that even if we got only £10 million, a steal in today's market, there's little we could do about it other than accept the offer and yet Mowbray would earn all sorts of brownie points with the owners for increasing his value and landing them a windfall, when actually he should be hauled into an office and asked to explain himself for allowing this situation to develop.

Sell Rothwell to generate funds to give Armstrong a new deal? Nah, that's just another excuse for offloading Rothwell. We've shaved about £100k a week off the wage bill with Williams, Mulgrew, Evans, Bennett, Downing, Bell all on their way, plus the Raya bonus for Brentford's promotion.

If we can't give Armstrong a deserved rise and new deal now then we never will be able to.

That's of course assuming the owners have authorised expenditure on any senior contract extensions. The only ones to happen have been the in-built 12 month activiation clauses which don't really count as new deals anyway.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray would earn all sorts of brownie points with the owners for increasing his value and landing them a windfall, when actually he should be hauled into an office and asked to explain himself for allowing this situation to develop.

is Mowbray in charge of giving out new contracts or can he only recommend who gets new contracts to Waggott and Pasha but Waggott is charge of negotiations with the agent?

any normal club of our size and standing would be looking to cash in on armstrong while he`s still of value,it`s how we used to operate,knowing the shambles that we are though armstrong will end up either injured,out of form or refuse a new contract and leave for nothing,the incompetence going on at our football club is suspicious,no one is this clueless about running a football club,i reckon the coventrio have interests only for theirself

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Nobody is paying £20 million for Armstrong. The club can try and create a bidding war but it won't happen. If we got near to £15 million I'd be pleasantly surprised.

That's not me saying Armstrong isn't worth £20 million. Because in this day and age I think he is - he has everything that attracts a premium price in today's world - English, scores goals, still young, bags of pace and good injury record. All those attributes should bump prices up considerably.

We should be sat here relaxed and rubbing our hands like Brentford did with Ollie Watkins. We should have Armstrong down to 2,3,4 years and be putting our feet up waiting for someone to come in and bid for him and being able to name our price. Then its a win-win situation because if he was sold we'd be able to spend heavily on the squad and if he wasn't we'd be set for another 20 odd goals next season.

But in view of his contractual situation his price will be much less. The crying shame is that even if we got only £10 million, a steal in today's market, there's little we could do about it other than accept the offer and yet Mowbray would earn all sorts of brownie points with the owners for increasing his value and landing them a windfall, when actually he should be hauled into an office and asked to explain himself for allowing this situation to develop.

Sell Rothwell to generate funds to give Armstrong a new deal? Nah, that's just another excuse for offloading Rothwell. We've shaved about £100k a week off the wage bill with Williams, Mulgrew, Evans, Bennett, Downing, Bell all on their way, plus the Raya bonus for Brentford's promotion.

If we can't give Armstrong a deserved rise and new deal now then we never will be able to.

That's of course assuming the owners have authorised expenditure on any senior contract extensions. The only ones to happen have been the in-built 12 month activiation clauses which don't really count as new deals anyway.

I think he’s £30m if he has 2+ years left on his contract. £20m all day with a year on his contract imo...like the part ex idea and can see that it will work with the likes of Norwich etc who will want some off the books

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Strange really. Take the last season out of the equation and nobody on here would be interested in signing Mowett.  His stats are average to say the least.

I put it to you that this manager has got a tune out of him where others have managed a bog standard midfielder for the last few years.  Mowbray cannot get a tune out of anyone so if I was him I'd stay at Barnsley. 

Could be some truth to that alright. Although he has been one of their better performers, even when the team wasn't 

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Hes a central midfielder, which stats do you mean? 

Ive always rated Mowatt even when he was at Leeds.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes a central midfielder, which stats do you mean? 

Ive always rated Mowatt even when he was at Leeds.

Where he's played, what he's done...4 goals per season on average....nothing to warrant chasing him until this season.

all a bit run of the mill until this manager seems to have got more out of him.  Good motivator.

5 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Just because he said it doesn’t make it a factual comment I might add

We have to stop pretending like the days of Jack Walker are forever. Historically a player would choose clubs like Utd over us and they would over the vast majority of clubs internationally 

We don’t know what happened over Bauer but McGinn going to Villa and Kipre to PL Wigan isn’t a sign we are unattractive

They aren’t light years ahead of us and quite frankly I resent a fan of Rovers making such comments but have grown accustomed to such pessimism. That is the sad thing in my eyes.

They aren't "light years" ahead of us but as depressing as it is, the continued and constant negligence of our owners has progressed to a stage where Barnsley finished 10 places and an embarrassing 21 points ahead of us. Last season saw a huge improvement on their part and us going in the wrong direction. They have an exciting manager, we have one who is just stagnating to the ignorance of our owners. Our best player is likely to leave too.

The fact that I am being somewhat patronising to Barnsley in my comparison shows that I feel that Rovers ought to be out performing them. At the moment, on the pitch, we are sadly not a pretty sight though.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not if we got a Hugill or Idah as part of the Armstrong's deal if Norwich were to bid. 

Yet again, we have no idea on the terms he been offered by Barnsley or by other teams. Why can't we offer him better terms than Barnsley?

exactly why I suggested Hugill as part of the deal. reduce the fee for Newcastle. 

We could possibly offer him a slight rise, suppose its speculation either way. But if he chooses not to stay at the ambitious, progressive club that hes at, he will be an incredibly appealing free agent to teams with more ambition and more money than us. All we have heard lately is how covid has affected our finances and how difficult we are finding even keeping the players we have. 

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

Where he's played, what he's done...4 goals per season on average....nothing to warrant chasing him until this season.

all a bit run of the mill until this manager seems to have got more out of him.  Good motivator.

Why would your primary judgement of a central midfielder be goals?

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wouldn't Newcastle be entitled to 40%...so his left peg and right arm?

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would your primary judgement of a central midfielder be goals?

I have him down as an attacking midfielder. If I'm wrong fair enough.  

We've got Bucko in Central Midfield anyway 👍

Edited by Sparks Rover