BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Good or bad Friday depending on the result

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Were we ever realistically in for him? If so huge miss by us. 

Edit my recollection was we were outbid by Villa, so some excuse there as you say. Bauer though - no way Preston should be able to get players before us. 

Saying that would he have performed under Mowbray for us? I doubt it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Were we ever realistically in for him? If so huge miss by us. 

Mowbray did an interview at one point where he admitted he'd probably missed out on a player (not Bauer) by giving him the Bauer treatment and telling them he'd have to wait in line for his chance etc.

At the time I thought there was a fair chance he meant McGinn which would have been all the more tragic/comical as the players he would have been trying to dislodge at that point were Evans and Smallwood.

• Like 3

The very least Mowbray can do is explain his 4-3-3 tactics that had, for Wycombe's penalty claim (1m 56sec in the highlights), Sam Gallagher trying to play wing back against a marauding wide player. Inevitably, he struggles to stop the wide player getting to the by-line and getting the ball into the box. Stewie Downing, I think, was playing on the right of the midfield three but fails to make much of an effort to get back, until a chance is created and then his heavy touch gifts the penalty claim.

The formation and tactics are disastrous, with the whole team, at times, very narrow, leaving the flanks "guarded" by our inside forwards. I think Mowbray has been exceptionally fortunate to get Harwood-Bellis on loan because without him, I don't think we would have much of a chance, on current form. He seems to have the confidence and pace to close down and mark defenders, protecting Lenihan, who seems to prefer to be the spare man.

Edit: I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Rothwell's flick over the defender and control, that led to him shooting at the keeper was wonderful skill and a glimpse of what he's capable of, when in the mood. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

Imagine how good a midfield pairing of McGinn and Harrison Reed could have been for us. Then imagine a manager turning down or passing up such an opportunity just so that he could show some loyalty to Evans and Smallwood.

Telling Harrison Reed he needs to learn how to play as a centre mid by watching those two and then sticking him on the right wing. Madness! A stupid decision as proven by how good Reed has looked at Fulham as a centre mid.

Dwight McNeil was also on his way to sign for us a few years back, until a coach/scout told him what a mess the club was in and directed him towards Burnley instead.

Zidane, Dugarry, Lewandowski, erm, Bauer, McGinn, McNeil, Kipre. It's too much 😁.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Watching West Brom tonking Chelsea reminds me realize how simple this game is. Get the ball out to the wing, beat your man, cross accurately and get some big boys to volley or head it in. Rinse and repeat. 

Agree entirely but we have no wingers and no big men in the middle to cash in.

Its like going into battle with a bow but no arrows.

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Agree entirely but we have no wingers and no big men in the middle to cash in.

Its like going into battle with a bow but no arrows.

In fairness Elliott is a perfect winger on the right and Downing or Chapman if he returns on the left. Gallagher and Brereton were bought as target men but were not given a chance to play in that position. 

• Like 2

I think you're taking fairness to new heights there! Elliott can play there but I bet that's not where he ends up at Liverpool. Anyway, he's no-one to cross to if he does.

As for why Gallagher and Brereton were signed, why aren't they played there then?

They're awful but they're even more awful and pointless out wide.

Lucky they have any confidence left at all.

Individually and collectively the squad has been going backwards for months.

At least no-one has the gall to talk about "incremental progress" anymore.

We are in deep shit wherever you look.

5 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

In fairness Elliott is a perfect winger on the right and Downing or Chapman if he returns on the left. Gallagher and Brereton were bought as target men but were not given a chance to play in that position. 

Gallagher was central for all but 15 mins yesterday and looked even worse than usual. I’ve yet to see anything he does well: poor control, zero anticipation, unable to beat a man, wayward heading. 

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Imagine how good a midfield pairing of McGinn and Harrison Reed could have been for us. Then imagine a manager turning down or passing up such an opportunity just so that he could show some loyalty to Evans and Smallwood.

Telling Harrison Reed he needs to learn how to play as a centre mid by watching those two and then sticking him on the right wing. Madness! A stupid decision as proven by how good Reed has looked at Fulham as a centre mid.

Dwight McNeil was also on his way to sign for us a few years back, until a coach/scout told him what a mess the club was in and directed him towards Burnley instead.

Zidane, Dugarry, Lewandowski, erm, Bauer, McGinn, McNeil, Kipre. It's too much 😁.

Mowbray's biggest problem, above all else, is that he simply has no fucking clue where players should really be used on the pitch.

• Like 4

The final summation for me, is that we have an excellent squad of players for a Championship Club: whether that still remains or not as we approach the close season with so many either out of contract or returning to their parent clubs, who knows?...the situation regarding the scant regard of the club in general, is morally corrupt.

Had this squad of players been suitably led, given the motivation that young men need (irrespective of how much they are paid) and the tactics and player selection been appropriate, we should have pissed this league this season. The fact that Barnsley are 20 points above us and looking likely to be in the play offs, says it all.

The current 'custodians' (and I use the word loosely) of Mowbray, Waggott and Venus (what the fuck does he offer anyhow?) should hang their heads in absolute shame, given the financial backing of our owners and just fuck off, to leave true Rovers to pick up the pieces of their neglect and selfishism.

• Like 4

Gallagher under Coyle looked a decent prospect at centre forward but under Mowbray who has played him mostly on the right wing also at right wing back this is a six foot five inch centre forward I am lost for words only to say Mowbray its time to go and take Venus with you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

The final summation for me, is that we have an excellent squad of players for a Championship Club: whether that still remains or not as we approach the close season with so many either out of contract or returning to their parent clubs, who knows?...the situation regarding the scant regard of the club in general, is morally corrupt.

Had this squad of players been suitably led, given the motivation that young men need (irrespective of how much they are paid) and the tactics and player selection been appropriate, we should have pissed this league this season. The fact that Barnsley are 20 points above us and looking likely to be in the play offs, says it all.

The current 'custodians' (and I use the word loosely) of Mowbray, Waggott and Venus (what the fuck does he offer anyhow?) should hang their heads in absolute shame, given the financial backing of our owners and just fuck off, to leave true Rovers to pick up the pieces of their neglect and selfishism.

Allegedly he is very good at finance related to building developments and building planning applications.

He is also a rather useless part-time football coach and best mate to the Ewood Don.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rossyrover said:

Gallagher under Coyle looked a decent prospect at centre forward but under Mowbray who has played him mostly on the right wing also at right wing back this is a six foot five inch centre forward I am lost for words only to say Mowbray its time to go and take Venus with you.

OK anyone at any level of the game who has played as a striker has scored a cracker but this is a good one.

I would add JRC as a right winger.

The signing of Downing, (pipe and carpet slippers), for the second time epitomises Mowbray's tenure.

Good work if you can get it.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, rossyrover said:

To be fair, he did play central in the first half and was equally poor. As much as the strikers on the wing experiment is bollocks, and I had Wycombe commentary on who were baffled themselves by it, the main problem was spending 5m on him. Sums Mowbray up, poor recruitment exasperated by weird tactics.

Whatever chance Gallagher had is ruined under this manager. Firstly he has shattered his confidence playing him in a position that highlights his weaknesses. Secondly he knows he's far from Mowbrays first choice as centre forward. He's arguably what, 4th choice? 5th? He played Buckley there ahead of him for the love of god!!!

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Whatever chance Gallagher had is ruined under this manager. Firstly he has shattered his confidence playing him in a position that highlights his weaknesses. Secondly he knows he's far from Mowbrays first choice as centre forward. He's arguably what, 4th choice? 5th? He played Buckley there ahead of him for the love of god!!!

Gallagher played up front for the first half on Friday.

I think Gallagher has bulked up too much and it has hindered his game. When we had him under Coyle he was leaner and quicker. He was a lot sharper too. It also helped that we had wingers getting crosses into the box for him.

Now, he looks cumbersome and heavy when running. It's ludicrous that he is being asked to play as a right winger, so it's no surprise he looks poor out there. However, he hasn't impressed even when he has played centrally recently as the tippy tappy stuff doesn't suit him. His first touch has been shockingly bad in recent games.

We would probably get more out of him if we had actual wingers who put crosses in, but that ain't happening under Mowbray. Football was so much more exciting when wingers used to beat a defender and whip in a dangerous cross. Remember the excitement when Duff or Gillespie were on the ball?

The obsession with 'Pep football' has made the game a worse spectacle for me.

On 03/04/2021 at 09:59, Stuart said:

The difference is that in football the buck always stops with the manager and he pays the price with his job.

If he really thinks that he’s entitled to sit there and pretend that doesn’t apply to him then he is simply taking the piss.

The buck always stops with the manager or leader in any business. That’s why they are often disposed of in the event of poor performance. That’s not really the point I’m making here though....

The point I’m making is that in general most people don’t blame themselves and even when they feel guilt, they often believe they have it within them to turn it around. The strength in the decision has to be from above them.

Really and truly, if you were working as hard as you could and believed you could do the job, would you walk away from £500k a year? 

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Really and truly, if you were working as hard as you could and believed you could do the job, would you walk away from £500k a year? 

In this hypothetical scenario, am I someone who paints themselves as being honourable and have I said in the press that I will walk away if I have become a burden?

What you appear to be suggesting is that Mowbray has become delusional and believes, despite the obvious, that he is doing a good job.

34 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It would depend on how much I already had tucked away. Who wants to be the richest man in the graveyard?

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2