BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic (h) 5/4/21 - the new Tax Year Special

4 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Ha ha. They don’t make them like him any more. Going back to pens I wish Garns had taken the one at Ewood v Palace in the play off final first leg............

Gayle was pretty good at them though to be fair and he was a cool cat. Don't think pressure bothered him. It rolled just wide though, can't remember if it hit the post or not.

Even if it had gone in it would have been such a Rovers thing to do to lose 0-4 in the next leg !

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Gayle was pretty good at them though to be fair and he was a cool cat. Don't think pressure bothered him. It rolled just wide though, can't remember if it hit the post or not.

Even if it had gone in it would have been such a Rovers thing to do to lose 0-4 in the next leg !

Yeah no blame attached to Howie for that - he had a great game that night and what I would give for a player with his passion in the team now!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He missed two, both against Southampton... though he put the re-bound in on one of them.

He scored 56 out of 67 over his club career. Pretty good but not in the Le Tissier class. 

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yeah no blame attached to Howie for that - he had a great game that night and what I would give for a player with his passion in the team now!

Class act, he was very nearly the final piece in the promotion without a pot to piss in jigsaw.

Great signing by DM, agree we need something like that again but characters don't seem to exist anymore.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, J*B said:

If I did say it was ‘supporters fault’ (I honestly haven’t checked so don’t know) then I’ll retract that - you’re right, it’s no supporters fault. The statement I was trying to make was that there was warning signs of this early - and I, like many others, where told in a round about way, to get behind the team. I’m not suggesting protesting after we’ve come second in league one, that would be insanity, but for me the mindset should have been ‘why did you only finish second, with the biggest budget ever seen in the league’ and explicitly ‘why did you play a weakened time in the final games?’. 

For me, the mindset was wrong then and it has been ever since. For too long this club has been on easy street - right down to really small things, like removing the history in photographs from the walls at Ewood.

The clubs fan base is fractured, in part I admit saying fans have played a part in this latest slump I am adding to that. We desperately need someone that we can get behind but the key for me is someone that will not accept a mid table championship mindset. I would much rather watch an ambitious club that falls short than this dross. 

Ultimately I’m not sure I’ve answered your questions here, so I’ll try and condense it into a sentence.

In a list of who has got us into this mess, there’s plenty ahead of ‘the fans’ - but for me, Rovers fans have a willingness to roll over and accept substandard, anyone that doesn’t is told they’re not helping - and I desperately think that needs to change. 

Why does it NEED to change? Like I said, it has no impact.

If you said you felt anyone who felt he should remain from x date, say Jan 2020 as you did, then even then, how he is doing now would not prove that opinion.

Same with you @Bbrovers2288 I get frustrated with the mediocrity. 2 things that aggravated me were people defending Mowbray saying and acting as if the League 1 title didnt matter, and also randomly when we played Brentford in early 2020, we needed to make up ground on the top 6, we went 2 up, yet most people were made up with a point. Infuriated me! 

So does other fans total lack of ambition within their opinions frustrate me or do I disagree with it, including the "we can do no better" narrative? Yes, it does, but once you start blaming them for being part of the problem, I have to totally disagree.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

It was a present, only opened because I ran out of the good stuff.  I visited St Emilion a couple of years ago, staying in a lovely boutique hotel. It's a lovely village, but very busy.  Prefer Burgundy to be honest. The Bordeaux museum of wine is recommended.

Try Cahors Paul if you like Malbec. I recommend Chateau De Mercues. It's a fabulous hotel too if you're ever out that way.

I know the owners very well and would get you a discount on either a case of wine, meal or hotel stay. (Being a 'posh lad' and all that 😉)

Edited by darrenrover

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why does it NEED to change? Like I said, it has no impact.

If you said you felt anyone who felt he should remain from x date, say Jan 2020 as you did, then even then, how he is doing now would not prove that opinion.

Same with you @Bbrovers2288 I get frustrated with the mediocrity. 2 things that aggravated me were people defending Mowbray saying and acting as if the League 1 title didnt matter, and also randomly when we played Brentford in early 2020, we needed to make up ground on the top 6, we went 2 up, yet most people were made up with a point. Infuriated me! 

So does other fans total lack of ambition within their opinions frustrate me or do I disagree with it, including the "we can do no better" narrative? Yes, it does, but once you start blaming them for being part of the problem, I have to totally disagree.

Fair enough but when Iv tried to make others see sense until I’m blue in the face it’s very very hard not to say- this is what I was trying to warn you about, do you see why now. Maybe next time listen. Will it change anything- no, does it frustrate me- yes 

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Class act, he was very nearly the final piece in the promotion without a pot to piss in jigsaw.

Great signing by DM, agree we need something like that again but characters don't seem to exist anymore.

I met Howie at a function a few years back. He is a fabulous guy and really loved his time at Ewood.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JPTSwindon said:

Confident of 3 points...Well that’ll be my Rovers team on Football Manager gets upgraded to my laptop / big screen whilst the real Rovers 3-0 defeat is relegated to my iPad.

My FM Rovers beat Forest in the FA Cup, whilst as predicted the real Rovers whimpered through a feeble 90 mins to another expected defeat.

It is obvious our manager and coaches have no clue what to do. The players appear disinterested, and ready for the season to end.

Therefore... not because I don’t love the Rovers, or the good camaraderie here at BRFCS; but, until we get at least a point- at home- I see no use to post anymore. There is nothing left unsaid. Fans aren’t allowed at Ewood, and I live in Texas anyway, so my little protest will be my silence. 

COYB, & Mowbray out. Tony, please do the honorable thing, and step down. Give us our team back. Then, I will have some respect for you. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WacoRover said:

It is obvious our manager and coaches have no clue what to do. The players appear disinterested, and ready for the season to end.

Therefore... not because I don’t love the Rovers, or the good camaraderie here at BRFCS; but, until we get at least a point- at home- I see no use to post anymore. There is nothing left unsaid. Fans aren’t allowed at Ewood, and I live in Texas anyway, so my little protest will be my silence. 

COYB, & Mowbray out. Tony, please do the honorable thing, and step down. Give us our team back. Then, I will have some respect for you. 

Can u not call in the texas rangers to investigate a fraudster?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

You're going off to support Barnsley,  aren't you...?.admit it lad....

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He must have had a couple of pints before that game then 😉

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Crafty drag at half time i reckon.

Off topic I know but years ago Garner was the presenter at my junior football club's awards evening.

The compere had finished a round of trophy giving and was letting everybody know that it was time for a break. On hearing this, Garner, who was on stage, said something like "good, I need a pint and a fag." As he said it close to the mic everybody heard. Cue apologies and a "don't smoke lads, it's bad for you" line.

7 points from 42 is desperately bad. Awful football is worse. I really feel for those who actually pay to watch the games online. Being at the stadium is a whole different experience than sat at home with no atmosphere at all to rally around. I think that Rovers will stay up. Mowbray will rag a win. Facts do point to him losing it though. His time is up. He's gone as far as he can. He shouldn't feel shame in that as he put some of the pride back. Certainly on here he is rapidly becoming hated, leave now and he may save some of his reputation. 

To the penalty taking debate, I remember Ray Stewart when I was little. He was brilliant.

This article has a few;  10 Best Penalty Takers of all Time - Pundit Feed

No surprises that van Basten and Le Tissier are up there. I did read that Yaya Toure scored all 11 of his whilst in the Prem.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Mowbray's credibility vanished for me during the 'defenders are coming' debacle. He took the entire fanbase for fools that summer. Since then I haven't believed a word that's come out of his mouth. The only positive I'll feel towards Mowbray when he eventually leaves is relief that he's gone. 

• Like 7

image.png.703b19bded4767c9327a8d128b29d391.png

Just thought I'd highlight this moment from the match highlights. It's when we're 2-0 down. From what I can tell, Kaminski kicks it long, as you see the ball drop from high, and then, in the highlights, the Bournemouth player wins the header centrally and his team go down the field to almost score a third.

I qualify by saying that I have no experience in setting up a football team at any level. However, based on how I've seen other teams play with three forwards, when attacking, they sometimes go two v two at the back, with the full backs pushed up as if wing backs or wingers. At least one defensive midfielder drops in centrally to pick up anyone in the No.10 position and to be in touch with the defence in case of counter attack. The three forwards press the opponents backline and, at least one tries to pull out wide, to stretch the play.

With our team, Douglas does not really go wide here, presumably, because he lacks confidence or pace to get back in time. The RB, I think it's Nyambe, though Bennett came on, is does not pull wide, either, rather taking up an almost third centre back role. Perhaps, it's because Lenihan wants to be the sweeper and, perhaps, doesn't trust himself one vs. one. The inside forwards (might by Gallagher and Buckley, but not sure) aren't competing for the header or stretching the play in any way. They seem unsure of where to position themselves, resulting in three forwards in the No.10 area, with Armstrong alone up top.

Admittedly, this is at two down, when the formation is going to become irregular as players push up, with not much to lose, and, it's from a possible goal kick, but, nonetheless, I think it's a snapshot of some of the positional and tactical shortcomings of the team. I stand corrected by any reasoned defence of this formation, however, being, as I say, a novice with tactical understanding.

Edit:

Maybe not mentioned but Bournemouth's second goal was classy - a pirouette to evade a lunging Nyambe, I think, by a player and then the forward nutmegs Lenihan, before scoring. It wasn't great defending but, I'd credit the attackers for that one.

Edited by riverholmes

On 05/04/2021 at 06:26, CambridgeRover said:

The most scary thing for me is even if we survive this season what is left for the next?

Dack - injured for a long time and won't be the same again and is on a big old contract.

Armstrong - will be sold, no two ways about it , need to make the club some money for the transfer diasters and only has a year left on his contract.

Gallagher and Brereton - the £12 million pound failure, shows flashes every so often and Brereton did have a couple of good small runs but for the money spent it has been awful.

No development - No player associated with the first team can claim to be a better player today then they were last year. In fact so many have regressed such as Travis, Rankin-Costello and Buckley.

Loanees -  To highlight the poor squad management we now fill our squad with sub-par loanees from other acadmies such as Branthwaite whilst Carter and Magloire are both playing well on loan. Wharton had to boss it in Northampton before Mowbray dared to even give him any minutes. 

Out of Contract this summer -  Bennett, Downing, Johnson, Holtby, Evans, Bell, Nyambe (extension not as yet used) and Rankin-Costello (extension?) Plus loanees in Trybull, Douglas, Elliot, Harwood-Bellis and Branthwaite.  Whilst a lot of those are deadwood they are deadwood that will be need to be replaced and our recruitment policy is completly sketchy. 

Long Term Plan -  How many players under the age of 27 do we have at the club on long term contracts (2 or more years)?  The answer is 6. Gallagher,  Travis, Pears, Buckley, Stergiaskis and Dolan. Not one of them apart from Travis has been able to play regularly under Mowbray

If we don't drastically change soon, next season could make this season look like sunshine and flowers

Agreed 100%.  Themis was the season TM was building for and it turns out he builds worse than my 3 year old with his blocks. The only positive I take is that most of that deadwood will free up cash when their contracts run out. Selling AA has to happen as I don’t see him happy here if he’s still kicking about. I’m hoping that with a new manager we could see the youth we develop reach their potential. It’s baffling to me that any manager could retain their role at any level with this run.