BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (a) 10/4/21 - Into the Valley(s)

36 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Massive Rhodes fan!

Me too! and of Graham and now Armstrong.

Armstrong scores goals on a regular basis.

I do not give a flying one that he is without doubt greedy.

Who in their right mind would pass to the likes of BB and SG when you can have a go yourself?

There are many things at Rovers to have a pop at. Armstrong is not one of them.

I think that the criticism of Armstrong is based on his being a Mowbray buy.

I get that, but even a pleb like Mowbray can get it right sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tormund said:

Rhodes was hated too. It’s because they are good and are expected to be world class every game.

Rhodes was certainly not hated. Not rated by some but never hated.

He was a very limited player, just so happened that the thing he was limited to was the thing that wins you games.

Edited by BlackburnEnd75
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Rhodes was certainly not hated. Not rated by some but never hated.

He was a very limited player, just so happened that the thing he was limited to was the thing that wins you games.

Maybe not hated, but criticised more than others when he’d contributed much more. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

It’s not hate, it’s his strike rate combined with our awful form and league position.

He plays for himself. If you can’t see that you must not be watching.

If we are to progress we need Mowbray gone and a different remit to, or sale of, Armstrong.

Ideally we will get a large fee before he ends up injured or able to run his contract down. Not sure Mowbray has made a fee on a single player though? Was the Raya fee ever published?

Hate is too strong a word I admit. 

However, it’s bizarre to me that our top scorer and only the 20th player in our history to score 20 league goals in a season is criticized for being selfish in front of goal. There’s nothing wrong with playing for yourself when you’re scoring more goals than the rest of the team combined.

Sadly I think you’re right about TM and I totally agree that we need a replacement before we can move on, and to stop us from regressing further. I disagree though in that anything needs to change with Armstrong. He’s different class at this level and we’re doing the right thing by playing to his strengths. TM hasn’t brought much money in from transfers right enough but I reckon this time we’ll make a very handsome profit on our investment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

That’s a big goal in the context of our season.

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Not really

8 points out of 45

I think that it is. As Rev said; Rovers grab a point edging closer to safety, yet the 1 win in xx record keeps getting bigger.

5 games to play; Derby(h), Sheff Wed(a), Huddersfield(h), Rotherham(a), Brum(h). All teams in the bottom third. 

Rovers to limp to the finish line and stay up. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Armstrong has been outstanding over the season as his goal-tally shows.  I wish we could complain about our other strikers in a similar manner.

I wish our other strikers were allowed to play centrally.

He's ruined Brereton an Gallagher by shoving them out wide. 

The fact he'd rather play Dolan / Buckley / Elliot as a false 9 then either of our 6'+ strikers says it all about Mowbray.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We deserved a point at least. We have chances and hit the woodwork 3 times and I am pleased that Armstrong scored 2 goals but we conceded 2 soft goals still. Mowbray has had 3 years at this level to sort out the defence and he hasn't. Yes Kaminski is at fault for the second goal somewhat but he still had plenty to do. 

Anyway its a point. 

This squad can't play the way Mowbray wants them to do cos they aren't that sort of players to play that style. But cos Mowbray is far too stubborn to admit this and adapt his playing style to suit the players. Looks how the under 23's play and I would imagine this is how he wants the first team to play. 

I think/really hope the owners has decide his future already and we are seeking to find a replacement. Plenty of good choices out there, 

The target was set by Mowbray and his comment that this squad is top 6 quality. He cant change what he has said. 

You are correct. This result doesn't change that this season target was top 6/promotion and he has falling way short of that and this is has simply not been good enough. 

Andy Bayes on Radio Lancs mention to Kevin Gallagher about our possession stats and Gallagher commented most of that isn't in the right areas where it will hurt the opposition. Its the final third where dominating the ball will hurt teams

Spot on

28 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

There’s nothing wrong with playing for yourself when you’re scoring more goals than the rest of the team combined.

Don’t you think it’s possible that this is self-fulfilling?

Even when there are players in a better position than him he will shoot rather than pass. This isn’t me being churlish, it’s something I’ve watched.

Our one win in the last 15 games... Armstrong wasn’t in the squad.

Our next two games were a draw against Swansea and a narrow loss to Brentford (an Ivan Toney penalty). We also drew with Norwich without him. (Three of the current top 4).

We look more like a team when he is not playing. It’s not the first time I’ve said this.

I don’t even necessarily blame Armstrong. Goalscorers are naturally greedy but this guy appears to have a remit to ‘shoot first think later’.

Don’t just take my word for it. Before today’s game:

- Armstrong has registered 156 shots in 34 games, translating to 4.78 shots per 90 minutes, most by any Championship player.

- 65 shots have been on target and he leads the table for most shots on target per 90 minutes with 1.99 shots on target

https://princerupertstower.com/2021/04/07/everton-scout-blackburn-adam-armstrong/

Yes, he had got 19 goals (21 after today) but that’s (now) out of over 160 shots so about 8 shots for every goal. Less than half of his shots are even on target. He also has 4 penalty goals in that (and 3 misses!). Which actually makes his goal stats slightly worse.

He is hugely overrated. I just hope we can get a £20m+ fee because of how much Mowbray has invested in him (to the exclusion of everyone and everything else). However, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to hear him get sold for an undisclosed fee. Who knows, maybe even a bonus for certain senior club staff?

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The fact he'd rather play Dolan / Buckley / Elliot as a false 9 then either of our 6'+ strikers says it all about Mowbray.

Nail on head. 

I absolutely hate the berating of our own players, especially when you can see they are trying. 

Im not a Mowbray hater but the last 4 months have gone pear shaped massively. Why he continues with the likes of Gallagher and Brereton out wide and 5 foot nothings down the middle is mind boggling. I would really love to know why. Christ, Brent Peters at Bacup Borough would know different. 

Im not saying Brereton or Gallagher are the  answer but Tony has absolutely ruined both. 

Venus looks uninterested in the dug out as well. Reminds me of an orthodontist with no boss to check up on him from time to time. What a xxxx he is. Get rid. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Even when there are players in a better position than him he will shoot rather than pass. This isn’t me being churlish, it’s something I’ve watched.

Our next two games were a draw against Swansea and a narrow loss to Brentford (an Ivan Toney penalty). We also drew with Norwich without him. (Three of the current top 4).

We look more like a team when he is not playing. It’s not the first time I’ve said this.

I don’t even necessarily blame Armstrong. Goalscorers are naturally greedy but this guy appears to have a remit to ‘shoot first think later’.

- Armstrong has registered 156 shots in 34 games, translating to 4.78 shots per 90 minutes, most by any Championship player.

- 65 shots have been on target and he leads the table for most shots on target per 90 minutes with 1.99 shots on target

https://princerupertstower.com/2021/04/07/everton-scout-blackburn-adam-armstrong/

Yes, he had got 19 goals (21 after today) but that’s (now) out of over 160 shots so about 8 shots for every goal. Less than half of his shots are even on target. He also has 4 penalty goals in that (and 3 misses!). Which actually makes his goal stats slightly worse.

He is hugely overrated. I just hope we can get a £20m+ fee because of how much Mowbray has invested in him (to the exclusion of everyone and everything else). However, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to hear him get sold for an undisclosed fee. Who knows, maybe even a bonus for certain senior club staff?

Take Armstrongs goals out of our shitty results and we would be looking backwards at next seasons league one fixtures. 

Stats mean bugger all to me. Points on the board are more important. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Take Armstrongs goals out of our shitty results and we would be looking backwards at next seasons league one fixtures. 

Stats mean bugger all to me. Points on the board are more important. 

Strongly disagree. Other players would have scored.

However, good points made above about Mowbray ruining Gallagher and, to a lesser extent, Brereton by putting them out wide. The only reason that makes sense is that he was trying to increase Armstrong’s financial value.

Let’s hope so and that the next manager gets to spend it. Because, thanks to the decimation done to the rest of the squad, by this Summer, he’s going to need it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

A contradiction. 

Not at all. There is a heck of a lot of money in the PL, £20m is nothing, and his goals scored stat will fool potential suitors.

However, it’s more likely we’ll get £8-£10m from one of the newly promoted teams.

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

What is it that you think it says exactly? That he hasn't a clue what he's doing?

21 minutes ago, Stuart said:

However, good points made above about Mowbray ruining Gallagher and, to a lesser extent, Brereton by putting them out wide. The only reason that makes sense is that he was trying to increase Armstrong’s financial value.

Let’s hope so and that the next manager gets to spend it. Because, thanks to the decimation done to the rest of the squad, by this Summer, he’s going to need it.

Considering Brereton, Gallagher Dolan and Elliot s efforts don't amount to Armstrongs efforts I fail to see where the goals would have come from. 

Don't get me wrong Stuart.... Armstrong for me is probably having the best goal scoring season of his career and I can't see that happening any time soon especially if he's bench warming a Premier league team. Greedy is good sometimes... Boycott played for himself many times but won England a fair few test matches 

4 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Considering Brereton, Gallagher Dolan and Elliot s efforts don't amount to Armstrongs efforts I fail to see where the goals would have come from. 

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren’t being deliberately obtuse.

If they aren’t getting chances because one player is hogging them then they won’t score. As per the link, he isn’t just the highest shot taker at Rovers but in the entire division.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Something i thought this season was project Armstrong, i think that's how this development coach (before he decided he was a performance one ) is working.

It was all about Dack, he should've gone for big bucks but got injured. Then it switched to Armstrong, if he goes in summer i think they'll then focus on one of BB or Gallagher. Then we might see them playing a more natural position with play set up to serve whichever one it is.

Whatever his ideas though it hasn't been about building a top 6 side and having a real go. That if it happened would just be a by product of what they are really doing, a bonus.

It's always baffled me that there's never been a performance like today whenever we are in touching distance. Only when his hide really needs saving, very odd that...

• J*B unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, DE. said:

1 win in 15. 

I think this puts to bed any ideas the players want him out. They clearly don't as they wouldn't fight like this otherwise. The team is just either fairly shit at implementing Mowbray's ideas or just fairly shit. Apply as you see fit, but after this I think it's nonsense to say he's lost the dressing room.

Hope he's gone soon but think this "result" will keep him in situ ( and a defeat probably would have as well, tbh). 

I think even the players knew they where drifting close to relegation. It goes by the saying one swallow doesn’t make a summer. Not played for him for weeks. Expected him to be gone to be fair we all did. There is no stretch of the imagination that they don’t want rid. Very average manager who talks the talk but can’t walk the walk. 

Youve just extrapolated a 30 mins  of effort and made into a team that is behind Mowbray. What about the 90 mins at Wycombe the capitulation at home to Bornmouth. 

Or notts forest , Barnsley watford, Preston qpr etc. He’s a very poor manager and needs the sack ASAP. In normality he would have been but this is us. So who knows why he’s still here but it’s not because the team is playing for him look at the results

• Like 1

The worst about him he complains that a state of the art category one academy is not good enough for his ideas. ( the guy who couldn’t convince the owners of chesterfield to employ him). He then wants to play a-possession game but to prove his point re the training facilities fucks the ewood pitch up by training on that. 

I cant wait to see the next job he gets because he as moaned about cat 1 facilities let’s see how he does at port vale or Northampton because if he’s lucky that’s where he’s heading.

Hes is not an unpleasant fella great for a pint on a Friday for s chat football but a bag of shite manager. Four years and can’t find a best 11. Even with great facilities,money and a youth academy complains about luck.

In the old adage a bad workman always blames his tools.

• Like 5

Under normal circumstances a point away to Cardiff is a good result. However 8 points from the last 40 odd available is just not acceptable. I've argued with most of you on this site re my stance on TM. He came in, stabilised the club, almost avoided relegation against all odds. Promotion at the first attempt and prior to this season improved us each year. 

However even I can see that he's taken us as far as he is capable of doing. That squad should be top 6 no excuses. 

Hopefully he goes in the summer with his dignity in tact. 

What next from the Vs? That's anyone's guess. At least we good some good news this week re the STC. 

Edited by Roverinbelfast
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Everton scout actually said:

''In fact, it is not about launching shots and making unnecessary attempts at goal, 65 shots have been on target and he leads the table for most shots on target per 90 minutes with 1.99 shots on target''

He's a head down player, doesn't really always see what others are doing, gets a glimpse of the target and shoots.

He's not told to do that, it's the way he is and always has been in his career.

For what its worth he is 3rd on the Rovers 'Assist' list, way behind Harvey E. and just behind Ryan N.

I do think he's a greedy bugger. Thank God.

Edited by AllRoverAsia