BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Derby - 6pm, Friday 16th

I think it is entirely possible that perceptions in the fan base about our season overall may be coloured by 'Primacy and Recency' effects.

That is to say, the strong start to the season had many of the nay sayers (including me) all positive and really looking forward to pushing on towards some potential rewards. Now, if we finish with the flourish that (on paper) the squad is capable of delivering, especially given the (poor) quality of the upcoming opponents, then it will feel to some that we have somehow rediscovered the formula for success, and that all we need do is rock up next campaign and walk the league..

Sounds far-fetched, I know, but I wouldn't put it past the evil gurning genius to stitch us up like that...

More likely, based on the form book and the complete lack of interest displayed by most of the playing and management staff. we will limp on and flirt with a trajectory heading in the opposite way to that implied above.

Either way, gawd help us next season, if the Punatics are still in charge of the Asylum..

• Like 1

• Herbie6590 changed the title to Rovers v Derby - 6pm, Friday 16th

We were never going to keep that little early season purple patch going but to fall away so badly is criminal.

All the warning signs there though after lockdown last year, started well, reeled in. Back to the transition to possession. Fall away badly, finish ok when end in sight.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

We were never going to keep that little early season purple patch going but to fall away so badly is criminal.

All the warning signs there though after lockdown last year, started well, reeled in. Back to the transition to possession. Fall away badly, finish ok when end in sight.

I think he did the same at Cov. Near the top at Christmas, fell away dramatically in the second half of the season. The season after was when he resigned an honourable man after no win in the first ten matches of the season,  or summat like that. That's us next season...

35 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I think he did the same at Cov. Near the top at Christmas, fell away dramatically in the second half of the season. The season after was when he resigned an honourable man after no win in the first ten matches of the season,  or summat like that. That's us next season...

I can see that happening and he was on course for similar at Boro but they pulled the plug at the right time. Even if there was no covid and Ayala had got fit i still don't think we'd be anywhere near it.

Better off than we are yes but still in the middle pack somewhere. He's far from the worst manager but too many things he does seem counter productive and go against any kind of consistency. 

• Like 1

Rooney’s only been in the management game for 5 minutes and he’ll still have Tony’s number come Friday night.

As an aside, what on earth has happened to Ayala? Unless I’ve missed something he’s dropped of the face of the earth and doesn’t even seem to get a mention in our injury round-ups?! What a horrendous signing.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Rooney’s only been in the management game for 5 minutes and he’ll still have Tony’s number come Friday night.

As an aside, what on earth has happened to Ayala? Unless I’ve missed something he’s dropped of the face of the earth and doesn’t even seem to get a mention in our injury round-ups?! What a horrendous signing.

I smell something not very nice brewing there, probably a parting of the ways on mutual agreement terms. Then he'll suddenly be fit to play for someone else somewhere warm.

A seasons wages for doing sod all and a nice little pay off with a percentage of his contract. That'll be another million or two down the drain on him and Downing this season, by Rovers version of Bill Shankly building football clubs !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

The sooner we can get two wins the better.

Then the search for a new manager should begin in earnest.

I suspect if Mowbray knows he's gone (reading between the lines) then someone is already lining up the next manager.

#AnyoneButPulisFFS

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The world’s longest groin injury I’ve ever known.

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

I smell something not very nice brewing there, probably a parting of the ways on mutual agreement terms. Then he'll suddenly be fit to play for someone else somewhere warm.

A seasons wages for doing sod all and a nice little pay off with a percentage of his contract. That'll be another million or two down the drain on him and Downing this season, by Rovers version of Bill Shankly building football clubs !

Yer I think you're on the right lines with this. Somethings not right here. Pretty sure he was nearing a return towards the end of Feb. Not heard a peep out of anyone since then.

I doubt we will see him again this season and then probably a pay off in the summer with no real explanation. 

Would be a total waste of money if that's how it goes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tormund said:

The world’s longest groin injury I’ve ever known.

Come on though, he didn't expect to be playing such a free flowing expansive brand of football as under Mowbray. Had his deck cahir out for the last few years under losers like Pulis and Warnock. Losers with more promotions than Mowbray, but you know what I mean 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Yer I think you're on the right lines with this. Somethings not right here. Pretty sure he was nearing a return towards the end of Feb. Not heard a peep out of anyone since then.

I doubt we will see him again this season and then probably a pay off in the summer with no real explanation. 

Would be a total waste of money if that's how it goes.

I'll give him the benefit of doubt on this one and say it was a panic signing. After promising defenders for 2 years then letting Bauer slip i think it's a typical Mowbray signing. Refs from his old club who know him, not fit but another project and the human angle handing out a contract to someone he likes. Then pay the price for being a nice guy again.

Despite that though iv'e grown very uncomfortable with all this ex Boro stuff in recent times. It's never going to sit well after whats happened in the past and it's beginning to look a little suspect now. More in a jobs for the boys familiarity kind of way than a percentage skimming effort though.

It's hard to stomach thinking we are about to get Mulgrews wages off the books but might have to carry this guy now instead. Maybe the can write it off with the insurance if he retires or something.

Like i said though if he left i'd fully expect it to be with some of his terms paid up. Then him to be fit almost straight away for some foreign team.

That would certainly prompt accusations of piss taking....again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

The sooner we can get two wins the better.

Then the search for a new manager should begin in earnest.

You can forget about looking for a new manager if we get two more wins. That will guarantee Tony staying for another season after he’s bull shatted  the loons on his annual pilgrimage to Venkyville.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riversider28 said:

You can forget about looking for a new manager if we get two more wins. That will guarantee Tony staying for another season after he’s bull shatted  the loons on his annual pilgrimage to Venkyville.

I guess that’s the dilemma.

The hope then is that we lose every game but the rest of the teams who matter don’t get enough points.

Surviving on the last day on goal difference would be the best - and worst - outcome. Not sure any of us could cope with that mind!

• Like 1

If Venkys cared enough to judge Mowbray on his performance then he would have already gone.

As it is, he wont be judged dependant on whether we win the last few, lose the last few, finish 14th, 16th, 18th, 20th, Venkys wont even know what the scores are, so nothing can be gained from us losing any games.

• Like 5