Problem people on here seem to be missing is that unlike 2010, to say, around 2017, the owners aren’t particularly unpopular these days. League 1 has transformed the expectations of the fanbase, and not in a good way.

Indeed they are our saviours, a Balaji shaped wall stopping us from the fate of Bury. There’s therefore little chance of getting any kind of protest going.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All credit to the United fans today protesting against the Glazers, thats the way to make a statement, every news outlet around the globe will carry that story, a real protest.  We missed our cha

Just a few off the top of my head who have tried to work with Venky’s... John Williams - in situ when they took over, widely regarded as one of the best in the business, assured he would be allow

My thought after reading the LT article today that 'the club' (not sure who that means precisely...) intend to stick with TM in the summer...petition? A few thousand fans putting their name to a

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Problem people on here seem to be missing is that unlike 2010, to say, around 2017, the owners aren’t particularly unpopular these days. League 1 has transformed the expectations of the fanbase, and not in a good way.

Not been missed by most on here. I have ‘un-followed’ myself from a couple of Rovers Facebook sites because I was sick to the back teeth of reading pro Venky’s and pro Mowbray stuff.

We either :- (1) Try to engage with Venky’s to get them onside and build some sort of meaningful relationship with them where we can move the club forward working together or (2) Take action if that engagement cannot be done. Doesn’t necessarily need to be in the form of a protest by supporters outside the ground but something needs to happen or (3) Do nothing. Let the status quo remain. Have effectively absentee owners, with little interest in the club together with a non functioning executive group of middlemen operating from within.

The vast majority of our fan base have neither the intelligence nor the wherewithal to grasp the situation and take action, in whatever form that may be.

In short, we (and our club) are royally fucked.

A couple of big questions about any protest.

What is it we would be protesting against?

Mowbray Out - a statement I’m pretty sure most of us agree with. However he’s the tip of the iceberg. He’s also cultivated his working class, nice guy image - so expect condemnation from anyone not associated with the club, and plenty from our own fanbase. What happens then if they do get rid and replace him with Paul Jewell? Then the narrative becomes “there’s no pleasing the protestors”

Venky’s Out - the badly advised narrative even exists on this very thread. “They keep us afloat”, “Who else would buy us?”, “Next Bolton” etc etc. It’s infuriating, but it’s a widely held opinion. I know first hand that the window for any widespread anti-Venky’s protest is gone. It went around Christmas in the league one campaign. By then people who were firmly on board with the protests 6 months earlier had decided Venky’s had learnt their lesson. I don’t know that we will be at tipping point again until we lurch fully into the next disaster (that we are currently on the precipice of in my opinion). Until then, the accusations will range from being spoilt and entitled to being “not a true fan” or a disgrace/cancer to the fanbase 

The general mismanagement of the club - Ultimately this is the one for me. It’s never gone away. There isn’t a quick fix though. A bit of Mowbray out, a bit of Waggott out, a bit of a load of other stuff. How do you put this into a concise message though? I think this has to be something like a boycott... a more attritional form of protest. Don’t expect massive numbers, and I think more will just drift than actively walk away.

The second question is who are we aiming it at?

Venky’s - every approach thus far has failed, from open hostility to slavish sycophancy and everything in between. Direct letters, reasoned debate, legal threats, terrible press, savage mockery... nothing works.

The Board - Utterly incompetent and detached. Waggott clearly feels it’s an us v them situation with the fans and the Brockhall debacle proves it. They have zero attachment to the club. Employees who question Venky’s are quickly relieved of their duties. 

The wider public - “Oh, is it Venky’s out again. Ungrateful, Pandemic, Bolton, Superleague, keeping you afloat etc”. Expect zero interest from any mainstream media outlet. Expect very little interest or support from the local ones.

I get the desire to protest 100%. From a personal point of view, I’m not in favour of massing at the ground bannered up and chanting while we are still under lockdown restrictions. And for all the reasons above I’m not sure what good it would do anyway. 

Needs some thought and discussion.

Sorry to say it but under Kean when there should have been thousands and thousands protesting the numbers just weren’t there. The uncomfortable truth is Rovers fans just aren’t that arsed in spite of our glorious history.

I went on marches from the havelock, brown cow, hung around after games, freezing my arse off outside the training ground, hung around outside ewood in the wee hours before one match. Made zero difference. Pains me to say it but the majority of rovers fans have the club they deserve.

15 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Mowbray Out - a statement I’m pretty sure most of us agree with. However he’s the tip of the iceberg. He’s also cultivated his working class, nice guy image - so expect condemnation from anyone not associated with the club, and plenty from our own fanbase. What happens then if they do get rid and replace him with Paul Jewell? Then the narrative becomes “there’s no pleasing the protestors”

Venky’s Out - the badly advised narrative even exists on this very thread. “They keep us afloat”, “Who else would buy us?”, “Next Bolton” etc etc. It’s infuriating, but it’s a widely held opinion. I know first hand that the window for any widespread anti-Venky’s protest is gone. It went around Christmas in the league one campaign. By then people who were firmly on board with the protests 6 months earlier had decided Venky’s had learnt their lesson. I don’t know that we will be at tipping point again until we lurch fully into the next disaster (that we are currently on the precipice of in my opinion). Until then, the accusations will range from being spoilt and entitled to being “not a true fan” or a disgrace/cancer to the fanbase 

The general mismanagement of the club - Ultimately this is the one for me. It’s never gone away. There isn’t a quick fix though. A bit of Mowbray out, a bit of Waggott out, a bit of a load of other stuff. How do you put this into a concise message though? I think this has to be something like a boycott... a more attritional form of protest. Don’t expect massive numbers, and I think more will just drift than actively walk away.

Venky’s - every approach thus far has failed, from open hostility to slavish sycophancy and everything in between. Direct letters, reasoned debate, legal threats, terrible press, savage mockery... nothing works.

The Board - Utterly incompetent and detached. Waggott clearly feels it’s an us v them situation with the fans and the Brockhall debacle proves it. They have zero attachment to the club. Employees who question Venky’s are quickly relieved of their duties. 

The wider public - “Oh, is it Venky’s out again. Ungrateful, Pandemic, Bolton, Superleague, keeping you afloat etc”. Expect zero interest from any mainstream media outlet. Expect very little interest or support from the local ones.

I get the desire to protest 100%. From a personal point of view, I’m not in favour of massing at the ground bannered up and chanting while we are still under lockdown restrictions. And for all the reasons above I’m not sure what good it would do anyway. 

Good post.

We are somewhat in suspended animation at this point.

There’s nothing we can do about Venkys. It has been tried. They are too far removed from what is going on, too far away and simply keep their heads down and ride out any unrest. They are here until they decide otherwise.

In an ideal world they would recognise that Waggott is as bad for the club as Mowbray and they are a double act. Both would be gone this Summer.

But ultimately, we have to believe that Mowbray is the one responsible for what happens on the pitch. All managers are hired and fired based on results and any protest needs to be centred around holding the club accountable to deliver on the pitch. How we do that is the difficult bit. Even with 20,000 fans we only got a fraction of the fanbase who were willing to stand up and be counted.

In the cancel culture world of 2021, we need a savvy social media approach which makes Rovers lack of success on the pitch bad for Venkys brand. Every defeat needs to hurt them as much as it hurts the fans.

Edited by Stuart
1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Correct!....oh, and what is it we would like?....can we be definitive?

I cannot see a fan-led protest having any effect of Venkys or their decision making process.

What would be interesting though is to understand what sponsors think of what is happening on the pitch.

Venkys maybe naive, gullible, trusting - or maybe even complicit - but sponsors surely don’t buy the excuses.

Are they happy to see their name associated with Rovers under Mowbray? Are they so small time that even a relegation-rollover, or even League One, side is how they want to associate their brand? If it were just business there would surely be questions asked or at least noises made.

Now if their decision is not business-driven but because they feel they are supporting their local club then what exactly are they supporting? Seems to me they are supporting a club and a management structure (at all levels) that holds fans - also local people - with utter contempt.

If you feel strongly about the current situation and want to do something about it. Stop using any of the products of companies associated with Rovers - until the so-called Coventrio are gone. But make sure you email them or tweet them and tell them why.

Let these companies know that as soon as the three of them are gone (maybe even just Mowbray - choose your poison) that you will be a customer/patron again...

Umbro

Recoverite

PM+M

Peter Jackson

Totally Wicked

BBC Lancashire

Lancashire Telegraph

Sportfive

Moorland - ask the head teacher why they are associated with a club that promotes failure

FlavourArt UK

SiS

Watson Ramsbottom solicitors

the energy check

Inbox Digital - are you with us or them Joe?

Heineken

Mind - please leave this organisation be

Because the alternative is to do nothing and that will result in lost fans and lost support which will damage the club irrevocably, and will give the three of them a mandate for a second bite at a Brockhall housing project.

13 hours ago, matt83 said:

Sorry to say it but under Kean when there should have been thousands and thousands protesting the numbers just weren’t there. The uncomfortable truth is Rovers fans just aren’t that arsed in spite of our glorious history.

I went on marches from the havelock, brown cow, hung around after games, freezing my arse off outside the training ground, hung around outside ewood in the wee hours before one match. Made zero difference. Pains me to say it but the majority of rovers fans have the club they deserve.

I too gave up alot of my time.  Going early on a Sunday to protest.  Standing outside Ewood on a cold Friday night.  Handing out leaflets.  Going on the marches.  I would do it again if it got any traction this time 

Just to add my good friend matt Green who was a big part of these protests as well, died 3 years ago from a brain hemorrhage 

Edited by roverandout

this might make me unpopuler but im`e not particularly anti venky on the current issue of mowbray uselessness,they`ve given him plenty of money and backing,possibly the covid issue in india has seen them turn their attention elsewhere for the time being,this one is all on waggot and mowbray,they`ve made the mess and we should give them both an absolute earful next season

We have seen time & time again, that it is Venky’s not the manager, or the incumbent, “looking after” the non- football matters. Until we get rid of them, this club will not represent the arte el labore on the badge.

Yes Mowbray and Waggot are the current two, making a Horlicks of things, but they are STILL being allowed to do so and will probably, still be doing so, next season.

Owners who simply don’t care and are so detached, is simply a recipe for disaster and this will not change, until they are gone, 

Have to admit I'm torn on the Venky issue currently. That they don't seem to care enough to sack Mowbray is a negative for us, but is a potential positive for anyone coming in. Especially when coupled with the transfer backing Mowbray has had.

Just hope the next move works in our favour.

Venky’s are dream bosses;  you get left to it, no executive ‘board’ to report to that fits the standard description, decent budget for wages, no pressure to sell players all whilst operating in the lovely confines of Brockhall.

However, managers have a sell by date, who knows when and why they reach it. Could be falling out with players, tactics being found out, poor training methods catching up with the team, poor transfer dealings, or a combination.

Whatever it is, clubs need an actually interested board and/or owners to spot it and pull the plug. Having such inertia like we witness here means we will always end up back in this situation, especially when bang average managers are only ever appointed in the first place.

Edited by Mattyblue

Managers need to be able to adapt very quickly as the game changes. Just look at how the game has evolved (inverting the pyramid and all that). They need to know the strengths of their players and get the best out of them.

Mowbray can’t even adapt during games, and make decent substitutions, let alone over a season or two. His misuse of players strengths is bordering on criminal!

On 24/04/2021 at 12:47, simongarnerisgod said:

this might make me unpopuler but im`e not particularly anti venky on the current issue of mowbray uselessness,they`ve given him plenty of money and backing,possibly the covid issue in india has seen them turn their attention elsewhere for the time being,this one is all on waggot and mowbray,they`ve made the mess and we should give them both an absolute earful next season

There is no excuse for their continued disinterest and negligence, even if they put the last year down to the excuse of Covid, which is not a valid excuse anyway, then what about the previous 9 years?

If I was Tony Mowbray, I would also want to keep my job. As much as I get frustrated at any individual that causes Rovers to be worse than they perhaps should be, player or manager, and Mowbray very much falls into that category, I dont really follow the narrative that he is a prick or the primary source of our problems, even though I have wanted him out for at least a year. I genuinely think that he wants to do his best, that he seems to be totally committed, and his nonsense in interviews is merely him desperately trying to justify his shortcomings.

Mowbray has had more than enough time and competitive resources in his time to be doing far better, but Venkys have not thrown caution to the wind and shown desperation to get promoted, they clearly arent arsed. The onus is on them to sack a manager who is blatantly regressing, but they wont because they dont have enough of an interest to care. They deserve the majority of our ire and hate.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

which is not a valid excuse anyway

why not valid excuse? 

Have you seen the latest news on Covid in India and how badly its affect the people there including lack of oxygen tanks in Hospitals? 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why not valid excuse? 

Have you seen the latest news on Covid in India and how badly its affect the people there including lack of oxygen tanks in Hospitals? 

Because even if that is the case, they should have people with the capability of being able to run the club even if they are preoccupied.

But like I said, they have been negligent, disinterested twats throughout their ownership of our club, the last year hasnt been an exception.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Because even if that is the case, they should have people with the capability of being able to run the club even if they are preoccupied.

Thats why Pasha is here now currently. 

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats why Pasha is here now currently. 

Well then either Pasha has no authority or is incompetent for choosing to keep Mowbray in situ. Either way, covid isnt an excuse for the owners.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well then either Pasha has no authority or is incompetent for choosing to keep Mowbray in situ. Either way, covid isnt an excuse for the owners.

Changing manager will be a decision made by Balaji as both @J*Band @Kamy100have said recently on the forum. 

Pasha hasnt been in the UK for 12 months cos of the Covid-19 lockdown and travel restrictions. 

The situation in India is getting worse so their minds will be on other matters I would suggest. I suggest protecting themselves and family members from Covid-19 is a priority 

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Changing manager will be a decision made by Balaji as both @J*Band @Kamy100have said recently on the forum. 

Pasha hasnt been in the UK for 12 months cos of the Covid-19 lockdown and travel restrictions. 

The situation in India is getting worse so their minds will be on other matters I would suggest. I suggest protecting themselves and family members from Covid-19 is a priority 

If they havent got even an hour to spare to appreciate that the manager of "their baby" is regressing in his job, then they should delegate the authority to someone within the club, whoever that is, to make that decision for them. They havent done that. If Balaji is so snowed under that he hasnt even thought about Rovers in the last 12 months, yet hasnt delegated the power to make a decision he would usually make, all of which is hypothetical, then how the bloody hell can any decision be made?

They have always been like this, even before Covid. They dont give a shit about us and we have to suffer.

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If they havent got even an hour to spare to appreciate that the manager of "their baby" is regressing in his job, then they should delegate the authority to someone within the club, whoever that is, to make that decision for them. They havent done that. If Balaji is so snowed under that he hasnt even thought about Rovers in the last 12 months, yet hasnt delegated the power to make a decision he would usually make, all of which is hypothetical, then how the bloody hell can any decision be made?

They have always been like this, even before Covid. They dont give a shit about us and we have to suffer.

We are talking about the current situation not about past seasons. I would suggested the Covid-19 crisis in India is a Global issue and I would suggest more pressing issue than a Football club. Wouldn't you agree? 

Pasha is here and from what we are told working with Mowbray on Summer transfers. So it would suggest that Balaji has decide to back him. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are talking about the current situation not about past seasons. I would suggested the Covid-19 crisis in India is a Global issue and I would suggest more pressing issue than a Football club. Wouldn't you agree? 

Pasha is here and from what we are told working with Mowbray on Summer transfers. So it would suggest that Balaji has decide to back him. 

I find your defence of the owners baffling and provocative. These twats have been exactly the same since owning us, negligent and disinterested, they havent suddenly and temporarily taken a back seat because of the pandemic. Plus even if that had have been the case, you keep putting Pasha on a pedestal as if he is the answer, even if the owners are so much in a rut due to Covid that they cant even for an hour consider their football club, which a baseless hypothesis, then surely Pasha can come in and sack the manager anyway? There is NO excuse for them.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I find your defence of the owners baffling and provocative. These twats have been exactly the same since owning us, negligent and disinterested, they havent suddenly and temporarily taken a back seat because of the pandemic. Plus even if that had have been the case, you keep putting Pasha on a pedestal as if he is the answer, even if the owners are so much in a rut due to Covid that they cant even for an hour consider their football club, which a baseless hypothesis, then surely Pasha can come in and sack the manager anyway? There is NO excuse for them.

Agreed. For the umpteenth time, appoint a decent CEO and empower him / her to make key decisions, eg about the manager.

At present we have a pretend CEO and a couple of invisible advisers, all of whom know the square root of diddly squat about running a football club.