BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield Town (h) Sat 24.4.21

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Brereton: 2,282 minutes, 11 goal contributions, a goal contribution every 207.45 minutes

Elliott: 2,718 minutes, 17 goal contributions, a goal contribution every 159.88 minutes

Thank you for backing up my point with the stats. Appreciate it. 

20 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Thank you for backing up my point with the stats. Appreciate it. 

I was going to post the stats whatever I found them to show, as a point of debate. I wasn't making a point for or against your point.

But since we're here now. The stats show Brereton needs an additional half a game (47.57 minutes) for each goal contribution. I consider that quite a bit. It takes him 29.75% longer for each contribution, I make it.

For comparison, Armstrong has a goal contribution every 113.41 minutes. A similar difference in minutes per contribution between him and Elliott compared to between Elliott and Brereton.

I don't think it means Brereton is trash or anything, but it's a fair difference to me. Especially when BB is 22, in his third season at the club and Harvey Elliott is 18 and in his first ever season of regular senior football.

Elliott will play for England one day, most of us are sure of that. Brereton will be lucky if Chile decide to fit him in.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I was going to post the stats whatever I found them to show, as a point of debate. I wasn't making a point for or against your point.

But since we're here now. The stats show Brereton needs an additional half a game (47.57 minutes) for each goal contribution. I consider that quite a bit. It takes him 29.75% longer for each contribution, I make it.

For comparison, Armstrong has a goal contribution every 113.41 minutes. A similar difference in minutes per contribution between him and Elliott compared to between Elliott and Brereton.

I don't think it means Brereton is trash or anything, but it's a fair difference to me. Especially when BB is 22, in his third season at the club and Harvey Elliott is 18 and in his first ever season of regular senior football.

Elliott will play for England one day, most of us are sure of that. Brereton will be lucky if Chile decide to fit him in.

Chile have some pretty good players.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

He'd still have to find a target man, a poacher and a couple of good centre halves. Everything is there to be built on though, just image half those additions to the squad. Coupled with organization, clarity and drive, everybody knowing their jobs ?

Basically everything that is missing under Mowbray in favour of development and possession.

Appoint the right manager and he would turn Gallagher into a decent target man type of striker. We have to find a replacement for Armstrong if he is going. That with be tough to find one but thats we have invested heavily in the Recruitment department to find these players. 

Would be interest seeing Lenihan under a different manager and whether he would improve enough. Think Wharton with him and Carter as back up. We need one(or 2 if we go 3 at the back ) more good centre back. 

Come back to appoint the right manager and signing the players to fit the style of play, formation and working on the organisation and communication of the team/players

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Out of interest, who do you consider to be our 'decent' kids?

Pike, Carter, Eastham, Burns, Whitehall and McBride. I'm not going to include Rankin-Costello or Pickering cos they arent kids IMO based on the game time here in JRC case and Pickering has played in 163 games at the age of 22. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, West Yorks Rover said:

Chile have some pretty good players.

Yep. I didn't say that to downplay Chile or Brereton. Chile are a decent side. They're generally recognised as not being as good as England though (not that we couldn't lose to them on an off day), so I just feel the fact one looks nailed on for England and the other will have done very well if he plays for Chile emphasises the difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Interesting take. Not sure many would agree! Brereton is inconsistent,at best. Elliott's assists and goals speak for themselves 

One in agreement here.

I’ve hammered Brereton in the past. I don’t think he’s a good technical player, but this season he has developed a hell of a work ethic and he has a knack of being able to carry the ball through the middle third really effectively. Really clicked for him today.

Elliott I think has had a very good season on a personal level, but I feel we carry him for large periods of most games, he is dreadful defensively and like all the hype surrounding him, it’s all about him. Technically very good, but a luxury for a bottom half championship team.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Appoint the right manager and he would turn Gallagher into a decent target man type of striker. We have to find a replacement for Armstrong if he is going. That with be tough to find one but thats we have invested heavily in the Recruitment department to find these players. 

Would be interest seeing Lenihan under a different manager and whether he would improve enough. Think Wharton with him and Carter as back up. We need one(or 2 if we go 3 at the back ) more good centre back. 

Come back to appoint the right manager and signing the players to fit the style of play, formation and working on the organisation and communication of the team/players

Pike, Carter, Eastham, Burns, Whitehall and McBride. I'm not going to include Rankin-Costello or Pickering cos they arent kids IMO based on the game time here in JRC case and Pickering has played in 163 games at the age of 22. 

The original question was why aren't the kids being played. It was pointed out that a majority of our better kids, were either out on loan or injured. Then the question was asked, Who are these loanee or injured kids.

23 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

One in agreement here.

I’ve hammered Brereton in the past. I don’t think he’s a good technical player, but this season he has developed a hell of a work ethic and he has a knack of being able to carry the ball through the middle third really effectively. Really clicked for him today.

Elliott I think has had a very good season on a personal level, but I feel we carry him for large periods of most games, he is dreadful defensively and like all the hype surrounding him, it’s all about him. Technically very good, but a luxury for a bottom half championship team.

Some fair points, but Brereton is inconsistent. We all look for any positives we can find. Will he ever be a 6 million pound player though? The jury is out. If he does what he is good at every week, then yes. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Some fair points, but Brereton is inconsistent. We all look for any positives we can find. Will he ever be a 6 million pound player though? The jury is out. If he does what he is good at every week, then yes. 

No, I don’t think he will be. I do though think he is one of very few players who actually suits this formation of  Mowbray’s.

• Like 2

The midfield should be 3 out of Travis, Rothwell, Buckley and Davenport between now and the end of the season imo. I assume (maybe foolishly) we will pull out the stops to keep Rothwell and let Trybull, Evans, Johnson, Holtby, Downing, Bennett all go.

If we offer Evans or Bennett a new contract I'll absolutely lose it.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think under a better manager Lenihan could be one of the top centre backs at this level. I'd like to see 2 centre backs signed as Wharton is likely to be out for the start of the season and by the time he is up to being fully match ready you are looking at December or January. I am hoping that Carter gets a chance next season and looking forward to seeing him as he has been getting very impressive reviews from his loan spell.

5 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

At least he took responsibility that is something Mowbray has never done in 4 years. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I think under a better manager Lenihan could be one of the top centre backs at this level. I'd like to see 2 centre backs signed as Wharton is likely to be out for the start of the season and by the time he is up to being fully match ready you are looking at December or January. I am hoping that Carter gets a chance next season and looking forward to seeing him as he has been getting very impressive reviews from his loan spell.

I agree with all the above. 

Carter has been impressive reviews at Burton so hopefully we see that next season and he is much improve.

15 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Apart from the ropey English from a man who isn't a native speaker, seems fine to me. The way you said it I expected to read him saying they bossed the game and should have won.

Like Ewood Ace said, he also took personal responsibility which I can't remember Tony ever doing, at least not this clearly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Apart from the ropey English from a man who isn't a native speaker, seems fine to me. The way you said it I expected to read him saying they bossed the game and should have won.

Like Ewood Ace said, he also took personal responsibility which I can't remember Tony ever doing, at least not this clearly.

Fair point on lost in translation, but otherwise I find it difficult to understand.

I should say it's just what managers do and our fella is no different most of the time.

(Yes, I want a new manager.)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yep. I didn't say that to downplay Chile or Brereton. Chile are a decent side. They're generally recognised as not being as good as England though (not that we couldn't lose to them on an off day), so I just feel the fact one looks nailed on for England and the other will have done very well if he plays for Chile emphasises the difference.

He may get a Southgate cap but will have to find real pace from somewhere to be nailed on for England or indeed Liverpool

• Like 1

Brereton was an interesting watch today. He made really good, intelligent runs for his first chance that was saved for a corner, his goal, and his assist for Armstrong. But his  shooting technique for his two great chances was God-awful, as it usually is. If it was the other way around I’d be more hopeful of getting our money back.

• Like 5