BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Rotherham

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It isn't. It's in line with his general offensive play. Assists practically non existent too. He's a good defender, but over hyped on here and excused with claims that it's Mowbrays fault he hasn't improved. The modern full back role has changed and he is missing a lot of the stuff necessary to be a top championship one 

If what you are saying is correct and a daft blanket statement like “The modern fullback role has changed” is true, then Nyambe’s coaching has obviously been wrong since day 1 and he should probably have been a centre back.

I think it’s far more a case of there are about a dozen full backs in world football who play for a handful of really good teams who provide a lot more of an attacking threat than the other 70% of fullbacks who just do their actual job. There is also about 20% of fullbacks who fall victim to managers chasing fads and employing confused tactics - this is where Nyambe fits in.

“Hasn’t improved” is bollocks. His assist numbers have gone up this year, although assists aren’t on xG levels of nonsense stats, they aren’t great either. A player could dribble from his own goalmouth the full length of the pitch, beating every player twice and hit the post. Someone tucks the rebound away, but nobody credited with the assist.

Everybody has different opinions on players, and that’s all part and parcel. However, some of our fans have had a downer on Nyambe since day one and will never change their opinion. There’s another significant number who have the really odd mindset of slating him because they believe Mowbray doesn’t rate him. Loads of examples on here and other sites.

Oh, and the piss poor goal returns of our 5 and 7 million forwards are far more of a concern than the fact Nyambe has not scored.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

If what you are saying is correct and a daft blanket statement like “The modern fullback role has changed” is true, then Nyambe’s coaching has obviously been wrong since day 1 and he should probably have been a centre back.

I think it’s far more a case of there are about a dozen full backs in world football who play for a handful of really good teams who provide a lot more of an attacking threat than the other 70% of fullbacks who just do their actual job. There is also about 20% of fullbacks who fall victim to managers chasing fads and employing confused tactics - this is where Nyambe fits in.

“Hasn’t improved” is bollocks. His assist numbers have gone up this year, although assists aren’t on xG levels of nonsense stats, they aren’t great either. A player could dribble from his own goalmouth the full length of the pitch, beating every player twice and hit the post. Someone tucks the rebound away, but nobody credited with the assist.

Everybody has different opinions on players, and that’s all part and parcel. However, some of our fans have had a downer on Nyambe since day one and will never change their opinion. There’s another significant number who have the really odd mindset of slating him because they believe Mowbray doesn’t rate him. Loads of examples on here and other sites.

Oh, and the piss poor goal returns of our 5 and 7 million forwards are far more of a concern than the fact Nyambe has not scored.

Calm down man, you're getting a bit aggressive I feel. Is everything ok? 

He's a good defender, hasn't shown enough going forward to be a top championship full back Your comment about 70% of full backs doing their job and only a handful being good enough for the top clubs is "bollox". There are far better and more well rounded full backs at clubs in this division, let alone further up accross all clubs in the premier League. 

Also your comment about him being a centre half is also unadulterated bollox ,because he is pretty weak in the air. 

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It isn't. It's in line with his general offensive play. Assists practically non existent too. He's a good defender, but over hyped on here and excused with claims that it's Mowbrays fault he hasn't improved. The modern full back role has changed and he is missing a lot of the stuff necessary to be a top championship one 

Whilst assists isn't a statistic that I go massively on it is simply untrue to say that assists for Nyambe are practically non existent. He has 4 assists this season, Roberts at Swansea is the only right back in the division to have more assists.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It isn't. It's in line with his general offensive play. Assists practically non existent too.

I'm not sure how many times this needs repeating, but whilst Nyambe hasn't been good enough on the assists front previously, this season he has 4 assists this season, which is the joint-third highest at the club, and has played in 3-4 less games than those equal and above him for that stat.

Personally think he has been unlucky not to have more. Once you put the ball on a plate for someone it's not your fault if they squander it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Calm down man, you're getting a bit aggressive I feel. Is everything ok? 

He's a good defender, hasn't shown enough going forward to be a top championship full back Your comment about 70% of full backs doing their job and only a handful being good enough for the top clubs is "bollox". There are far better and more well rounded full backs at clubs in this division, let alone further up accross all clubs in the premier League. 

Also your comment about him being a centre half is also unadulterated bollox ,because he is pretty weak in the air. 

Aggressive? Really?

Read what I said about him being a centre half again. If you still don’t get the point I will explain.

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Whilst assists isn't a statistic that I go massively on it is simply untrue to say that assists for Nyambe are practically non existent. He has 4 assists this season, Roberts at Swansea is the only right back in the division to have more assists.

Is that right? I stand corrected if so. 

It feels like he hasn't had 4 in his career before this season. 

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'm not sure how many times this needs repeating, but whilst Nyambe hasn't been good enough on the assists front previously, this season he has 4 assists this season, which is the joint-third highest at the club, and has played in 3-4 less games than those equal and above him for that stat.

Personally think he has been unlucky not to have more. Once you put the ball on a plate for someone it's not your fault if they squander it.

Yes, one of the leagues better right backs.  Off he goes, Mowbray has took the piss out of him.  Benno,  Bucko,  etc ahead of him....not fit to lace his boots

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

Whilst I understand the decision to stick with most of the same squad from the good result against Huddersfield (though would personally have liked to see us actually build for the future as promised), the one change seems daft. Johnson for Evans. Firstly, Evans actually had a fairly good game last time out. Secondly, Johnson isn't that great at the same role, assuming that's the intention rather than dropping Travis in there. But thirdly and mostly, it should blatantly be Davenport who gets the nod there, especially with Johnson out of contract and the age difference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is that right? I stand corrected if so. 

It feels like he hasn't had 4 in his career before this season. 

And this the problem....some of our other younger players make a pass 5 yards and they are worth 10m, Ryan is well out of here.....undervalued and underrated 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Mind reader as well, eh? Too many people IMO conflate Nyambe with their (or others’) views of the manager. I don’t rate Nyambe because I don’t rate his positional awareness. So many goals this season from his side where he has been in no man’s land, he rarely seems to know who is around him. His big strength is one-on-one attacking and defending, both of which catch the eye, but his defending off the ball is poor to abysmal.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He isn't good enough in the air for centre half. You can't reach that 

I am not advocating him playing at centre back, I am making the point that I find your idea about “modern fullbacks” nonsense. I’m actually surprised you think modern centre backs need any aerial prowess.

Read it again. You’ve not paid attention to a lot of the thread if it’s took you til just now to see the numbers around Nyambe’s assists. I thought you were just ignoring it.

3 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Mind reader as well, eh? Too many people IMO conflate Nyambe with their (or others’) views of the manager. I don’t rate Nyambe because I don’t rate his positional awareness. So many goals this season from his side where he has been in no man’s land, he rarely seems to know who is around him. His big strength is one-on-one attacking and defending, both of which catch the eye, but his defending off the ball is poor to abysmal.

I see it differently. He is expected to do the job of at least 2 men in most games and with the attacking he has to do, that side gets exposed. There is so little defensive support from whoever is in front of him (particularly if it’s Elliott) and the midfielders are clearly instructed to occupy zones rather than drop in. I think our defensive shape is generally far too open.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I see it differently. He is expected to do the job of at least 2 men in most games and with the attacking he has to do, that side gets exposed. There is so little defensive support from whoever is in front of him (particularly if it’s Elliott) and the midfielders are clearly instructed to occupy zones rather than drop in. I think our defensive shape is generally far too open.

I don’t disagree, but defending is easy when everything is going well in front of you. Good off the ball defenders have a nose for danger, anticipate and block off runs, know when to come inside and when not. I think Nyambe gets a lot of those decisions badly wrong no matter why the situation arose.

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

And this the problem....some of our other younger players make a pass 5 yards and they are worth 10m, Ryan is well out of here.....undervalued and underrated 

I don't do either. I like him a lot. I think there is the flip side to what you say though, where some over rate him. I would certainly keep him. 

If it's Buckley you are referring to there, I think he gets plenty of stick, far more than Nyambe 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I am not advocating him playing at centre back, I am making the point that I find your idea about “modern fullbacks” nonsense. I’m actually surprised you think modern centre backs need any aerial prowess.

Read it again. You’ve not paid attention to a lot of the thread if it’s took you til just now to see the numbers around Nyambe’s assists. I thought you were just ignoring it.

Your point is getting pretty convoluted so. If you don't think a centre half needs to be able to head it, I don't know what else I can say. They obviously do need to be able to do it. Like the better full backs need to consistently bring something to the team in attack. Hopefully these 4 famous assists are just the start for Nyambe so. From what I have seen from watching him with my eyes, he can be wasteful in the opposition half 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel