BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

End of term report on TM/Rovers, season 20/21.

So as the dust settles on what can only be described as a disappointing season, I thought it would be interesting to see how bad people actually thought the season was. Whilst most (all?) on here don't think it was good enough, I suspect many of the fanbase outside of here are disappointed but not to the extent of seeing TM leave. There's been plenty of excuses offered and a number of signs of encouragement that some point to as well. However, there has also undeniably been a lot of poor results and worrying signs. 

So how bad was it really?

Firstly the positives. Gally and Bereton both don't look a complete waste of space. Neither are at the point of looking good but both have shown they offer something. Bereton seems a bit of a flat track bully to me, who I don't think we can count on under any sort of pressure, but that's still a huge upgrade on previously. Gally has been hampered by TM's insistence of playing him out of position, but a number of goals, especially from the subs bench, suggest he might be decent as a plan B or as squad player at centre forward. There've also been some thumping results, which are always nice to see and the keeper question has looked to be solved with the (overall) quietly competent Kaminski giving a bit of stability to an otherwise difficult season. Armstrong's development is also a huge plus, and is a huge assett to Rovers whether he stays (unlikely) or provides next year's transfer budget. 

Then there's mitigating circumstances. TM was unlucky to lose both Warton and Dack to long term injuries. Perhaps Dack's return wasn't being handled particularly well, but to lose two players in key positions to long term injuries, whilst part and parcel of the game, is nevertheless a cruel blow. 

Less mitigating circumstances however was Covid. An excuse TM has often used but actually it worked in our favour. It made clubs with more finances perhaps a little less willing to spend. It took some daunting away fixture crowds out of the equation. Having a manager in place for 4+ years meant all of the team building, communicating ideas and other hinderances that came with Covid protocols should have had less effect on ourselves who had 4 years to build said culture and communicate ideas. At the bottom of the table it massively lessened the fear of relegation kiboshing two of the three who in the end went down. If anything, whilst terrible for the country, Covid helped Rovers. 

Then there's the negatives. Sadly there are so many. Poor transfers - nailed on, especially Ayala, an injury prone player in a position full of injury prone players. Players out of position - Tony outdid himself with placing Elliott in a place where he couldn't be effective and Gally at right back was the stuff of utter madness. The tombola came out regularly meaning the team and formation was constantly chopping and changing, leaving it very difficult to get any semblance of a plan or consistency. The one win in 16 was something no other manager would have survived. The 6 straight losses were particularly galling as none was against particularly strong opposition. And, most disappointingly, TM's comments utterly rivaled Kean. They were that low. Rovers fans expecting glory due to winning the Premiership, Nayambe's in out injury situation, and the project reset and acclimatisation to the championship that all were utterly pond scum-esque comments. The Coventrio tried to get rid of the training grounds on the sly, destroying Jack's legacy further, in what was another horrible situation for the season. Goodness, there has been a lot of crap in this season hasn't there. 

Which gives me to my overall rating of the season as a D-. Armstrong and a few thumping results save it from being an E, as does the fact we managed the none-too-laudable achievement of not doing a Hull and getting relegated. But it was pretty crap I think. And a huge opportunity missed. No doubt a decent top and tail will keep TM safe and the happy clappers clapping into next season. 

How bad do others think it was?       

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

So as the dust settles on what can only be described as a disappointing season, I thought it would be interesting to see how bad people actually thought the season was. Whilst most (all?) on here don't think it was good enough, I suspect many of the fanbase outside of here are disappointed but not to the extent of seeing TM leave. There's been plenty of excuses offered and a number of signs of encouragement that some point to as well. However, there has also undeniably been a lot of poor results and worrying signs. 

So how bad was it really?

Firstly the positives. Gally and Bereton both don't look a complete waste of space. Neither are at the point of looking good but both have shown they offer something. Bereton seems a bit of a flat track bully to me, who I don't think we can count on under any sort of pressure, but that's still a huge upgrade on previously. Gally has been hampered by TM's insistence of playing him out of position, but a number of goals, especially from the subs bench, suggest he might be decent as a plan B or as squad player at centre forward. There've also been some thumping results, which are always nice to see and the keeper question has looked to be solved with the (overall) quietly competent Kaminski giving a bit of stability to an otherwise difficult season. Armstrong's development is also a huge plus, and is a huge assett to Rovers whether he stays (unlikely) or provides next year's transfer budget. 

Then there's mitigating circumstances. TM was unlucky to lose both Warton and Dack to long term injuries. Perhaps Dack's return wasn't being handled particularly well, but to lose two players in key positions to long term injuries, whilst part and parcel of the game, is nevertheless a cruel blow. 

Less mitigating circumstances however was Covid. An excuse TM has often used but actually it worked in our favour. It made clubs with more finances perhaps a little less willing to spend. It took some daunting away fixture crowds out of the equation. Having a manager in place for 4+ years meant all of the team building, communicating ideas and other hinderances that came with Covid protocols should have had less effect on ourselves who had 4 years to build said culture and communicate ideas. At the bottom of the table it massively lessened the fear of relegation kiboshing two of the three who in the end went down. If anything, whilst terrible for the country, Covid helped Rovers. 

Then there's the negatives. Sadly there are so many. Poor transfers - nailed on, especially Ayala, an injury prone player in a position full of injury prone players. Players out of position - Tony outdid himself with placing Elliott in a place where he couldn't be effective and Gally at right back was the stuff of utter madness. The tombola came out regularly meaning the team and formation was constantly chopping and changing, leaving it very difficult to get any semblance of a plan or consistency. The one win in 16 was something no other manager would have survived. The 6 straight losses were particularly galling as none was against particularly strong opposition. And, most disappointingly, TM's comments utterly rivaled Kean. They were that low. Rovers fans expecting glory due to winning the Premiership, Nayambe's in out injury situation, and the project reset and acclimatisation to the championship that all were utterly pond scum-esque comments. The Coventrio tried to get rid of the training grounds on the sly, destroying Jack's legacy further, in what was another horrible situation for the season. Goodness, there has been a lot of crap in this season hasn't there. 

Which gives me to my overall rating of the season as a D-. Armstrong and a few thumping results save it from being an E, as does the fact we managed the none-too-laudable achievement of not doing a Hull and getting relegated. But it was pretty crap I think. And a huge opportunity missed. No doubt a decent top and tail will keep TM safe and the happy clappers clapping into next season. 

How bad do others think it was?       

Can we merge this and my topic?

• Like 1

It’s been disastrous as a season. Poor management on and off the park, no communication to the support which has been even worse during the pandemic and means the club is as detached as ever from the support. We have had the brockhall fiasco on top of tombola Tony wrecking our season in February and beyond when we should really have wrapped up a play off spot with ease! By my reckoning we have shed 35 points and yes I know it’s iffs and buts but Mowbray has to take full responsibility for the failure on the pitch 😡😡 glad it’s all over to be honest 

• Like 3

Poor , we have regressed this Season despite a much better squad I have always been a supporter of Mowbray but this Season has proved to be very disappointing and TM has to take the responsibility for that , personall I think he should resign and let whatever is left of his reputation in tact let’s not forget this is the guy that almost saved us from the drop , reunited the fan base built a team that made us proud to be Rovers supporters again whilst getting us promoted out of L1 at first attempt and then  consolidated us as Championship team 

In a season Tonebola targeted the play offs we finished 15th 20 points off the playoffs coming closer to relegation. That’s the biggest take away for the season. A dull and tedious journey perhaps as boring as the man himself. So boring he was barely able to stay awake some games.

Teams had figured us out well before Xmas but still persisted with his pointless defender based possession football. This season was some of the worst football I’ve ever watched. The managers trademark defensive incompetence continues. As does his tactical absurdity, playing players out of position and more often than not made a load of substitutions that made us worse.

He took us to within a couple of games of a club record worst run of form. All the while Kean levels of waffle coming out of his mouth. A man so arrogant and stupid he believes that results don’t affect him and doesn’t bother looking at the table. The journey, attacking platforms, box entries, Brentford model, just the tip of the iceberg.

The excuses-covid, injuries, officials, pitch, expectations, performance not results based manager, only lost narrowly, better side, irrelevant favourable stats.

Off the pitch the CovenTrio tried to flog the Crown Jewels. The Venkys are as disinterested now as they ever were. £200 million in debt and counting. Plus a fanbase that’s shrinking on a daily basis.

The most depressing thought is that Mowbray will be gurning his way in to the 2021/22 season. 

• Like 7

Really, really poor season. Would grade it maybe an E in that we have regressed without ever being in a dogfight or even being relegated which would have warranted an F.

I personally understand but dont really agree with some of the stuff I read about Mowbrays character, I genuinely think he tries his best and wants what is best and it is only people in their anger and frustration that suggest otherwise. Ultimately, his recruitment has been poor, he isnt ruthless enough with contracts and he has tried to implement a flawed method of playing. For me, his faults are competence based rather than character, I get why the "burden" talk aggravates folk but I try not to get too wound up personally with any nonsense he says in interviews as it is purely self preservation common in all managers.

Positives would be Armstrong having a superb personal season, Kaminski being an excellent addition in goal and the loan signings of Elliott and Harwood Bellis very much improving the team.

Looking forward with Mowbray in charge, I fear a real struggle next season.

• Like 1

I still believe we have a top six squad completely undermined by an average manager and staff. What is particularly galling to me is that this seasons Championship is the poorest standard I can remember and we haven't laid a glove on it. Too much chopping and changing of personnel and tactics have become a trademark of Mowbrays tenure and have particularly led to a really inconsistent season. It seems that Mowbray is often caught between two stools as to what style of play we adopt. He continually talks the talk about a passing game and quite often we do have more of the ball but in reality it means nothing. Results are all that matter and Mowbray just can't consistently deliver them. And for that reason he should go but I firmly believe he will be here next season.

His infuriating interviews are also worth mentioning.

• Like 6

A difficult season for anybody and everybody, injuries and bad pitches a plenty around the league.

Only in Blackburn though you'd think at times.

Top 6 was always a long shot but fully expected us to be in and around top 10.  Strongest squad we've had since Bowyers 40 goal strike force season.  Like that one mentally too weak from top to bottom and rotation that would make your average bingo machine blow a fuse.

D minus

Change needed urgently and no better time to do it. Coventrio get gone you're busted flushes who were exposed after lockdown LAST season.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

The end of term report? 

Abysmal.
Fancy, complicated, baffling tactics thrown onto a squad completely unable to carry them out. What has anyone seen from him that even suggests he might know what to do about? 

I haven’t seen anything for a long time now that suggests that anybody at the club can turn it around. Where does that leave us? Why should the fans back them? I’ve never known a situation like this before.

• Like 6

The main thing that sticks out to me this season is that while yes, we had some absolutely fantastic wins like the recent 5-2 drubbings of Huddersfield and Brum, all of these great wins have come against the weaker teams in the league.

The highest placed team we managed to beat was Barnsley, followed by QPR, Boro and Millwall after that.

That is really unacceptable and speaks to how poor our season was. There’s no way we can challenge for top 6 if we can’t even manage 1 win against the better teams.

Regardless of the injuries we had this season, we should be doing better and it’s been clear that tactically we have been outclassed by most teams in the division.

Unless Mowbray brings in some world beaters to take our game to the next level, I can’t see how he will be able to do better next season.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the season has been disastrous, although I think over the next few months we may reassess that (when the horror of the inevitable cutbacks unfolds and we seriously regret not making progress this season).

Disastrous would have been us ending up getting relegated, which up until a few weeks ago was a possibility. So that's the positive out of the way - we didn't get sucked into League One again.

Mowbray has been shamelessly touting Armstrong in the media - his last opportunity with a microphone under his nose to issue a 'come and get him' plea to clubs. Quite embarrassing and sickening to see such a thing plastered on the BBC website but then again this is a desperate man with no excuses left so for him a mega money sale of Armstrong to the PL will be the best thing that could happen - this will vindicate his 'approach' and cover the criminal waste of money over the last few summers, all the while getting him some sort of money to spend on new players which he won't get otherwise. It's cringeworthy.

Other than that it has been regression of varying degrees in just about every department. 

We end the season once again looking up at Preston, which alone for me sums up just how poor it has been. Preston who would consider themselves to have had a poor season including having to sack their manager and having a caretaker for the final third fixtures. Such has been the success of Mowbray and Waggott in diluting ambition and expectation that the brainwashed sheep think that is acceptable.

Other heavyweights such as Millwall, Luton and Barnsley outperforming us considerably with much lesser resources and smaller losses shows that we have and are getting appalling value for money from the investment made.

Normal reaction to such a waste is to employ management that can make more of it but not in Venky world - their reaction is to keep that manager but make it impossible by slashing costs and selling assets, inevitably leading to struggle/relegation next year costing much more than a managerial change now.

The football has been for the large part dire. Interspersed with rare hammerings of garbage opposition along the way but a tragic record of results against those in the top 10 shows the manager just doesn't have the nous to change approach and overcome the better sides. 

A shrewd manager would find a balance to be able to use our obvious quality to outplay the dross (of which there is a lot) in this league and yet also instill doggedness and organisation to grind out results against the better sides who have similar/more quality than us.

Mowbray can't or won't do this, instead sticking to his same old routine and watching the same errors unfold every week.

I won't get on to the off the pitch stuff which is another story of concern.

There may be parallels between ourselves and Bristol City in that both got off to a decent start yet over the season have gradually fallen down to the bottom end of the table and have been on dire runs of form. Difference is that Bristol City will ring the changes and rebuild under Pearson and I fully expect them to be a different beast next season. Rovers will be the same old and struggle.

• Like 7

Manager set a target of playoffs = failed miserably in 15th place,yet again below Preston.

The second half of the Season was an utter disaster,the now infamous death Spirals were nauseating and predictable...we've seen it all before.

And then the shenanigans with the Training ground.

Yet again absent distant owners who say nothing.

Please do the decent thing Mowbray and walk,most Rovers fans I know wont be able to stand another Season of this bollocks.

Season Ticket sales will go through the floor.All is far from well at Ewood.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Good morning @Stuart

I owe you £20 to be donated to a charity of your choice. This From a bet we had about Rovers getting in the top 6...I was only 20 points out!! 🤣🤣

I tried to DM but wouldn’t allow me...Let me know...thanks, Paul

Very good of you, I had honestly forgotten.

Nightsafe is a local charity helping homeless and vulnerable people in the town. They would be grateful of your donation I’m sure. 👍🏻

• Like 5