Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Recommended Posts

On 25/07/2021 at 12:35, lraC said:

She is expecting big things of Leeds. I heard a comment from her the other day. She had a bit of a moan, but at least, he has got it off her chest. She said the have come a long way in a few years, since the nearly went bust. Hope the players behave and don’t kick big lumps out of each other. 

You only have to look at our bench if you want to see a pair of tits

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/07/2021 at 12:03, Danny O.Brien said:

I can remember the police escort through Bradford, back in league one 😂 class day out. 

The only good police escort is in places like Leeds, where the railways station is miles away from the ground and you’ve got 500 local nutters in the way 😲

Character building.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 17:42, Gav said:

The only good police escort is in places like Leeds, where the railways station is miles away from the ground and you’ve got 500 local nutters in the way 😲

Character building.

Had some hairy moments at Bradford though back in the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 17:58, tomphil said:

Had some hairy moments at Bradford though back in the day.

Yes I thought that when I wrote it, burnley town centre on the way back, big window 😀 young and daft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 17:42, Gav said:

The only good police escort is in places like Leeds, where the railways station is miles away from the ground and you’ve got 500 local nutters in the way 😲

Character building.

You should have tried getting to and from Burnden park, if you wanted character building.

Edited by rigger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 17:42, Gav said:

The only good police escort is in places like Leeds, where the railways station is miles away from the ground and you’ve got 500 local nutters in the way 😲

Character building.

Usually pushed straight into the boozer then bussed to the ground at Leeds these days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 18:26, rigger said:

You should have tried getting to and from Burnden park, if you wanted character building.

i remember one game in the early 80`s when my dad made us stand in the burnden paddock,when i protested about not standing on the embankment  he told me to stop moaning,you`ll see why we are here in a minute,cue twenty minutes into the game it all kicked off in there,bottles,bits of loose concrete and all sorts of debris flying everywhere!!!

imo it was the most intimidating ground in the whole football league,worse than the victoria ground,upton park,st andrews or the den,i think it was 1995/96,when they beat us,shearer and all,they were all going mental looking for anyone in blue and white outside the ground,me and mate just put our heads down and managed to make it to the train in one piece🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 22:01, simongarnerisgod said:

i remember one game in the early 80`s when my dad made us stand in the burnden paddock,when i protested about not standing on the embankment  he told me to stop moaning,you`ll see why we are here in a minute,cue twenty minutes into the game it all kicked off in there,bottles,bits of loose concrete and all sorts of debris flying everywhere!!!

imo it was the most intimidating ground in the whole football league,worse than the victoria ground,upton park,st andrews or the den,i think it was 1995/96,when they beat us,shearer and all,they were all going mental looking for anyone in blue and white outside the ground,me and mate just put our heads down and managed to make it to the train in one piece🙂

I always remember most games there as being night matches, which to me made them even worse. But I wouldn't change one minute of it. I just picture Faz scoring.

Edited by rigger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 22:01, simongarnerisgod said:

i remember one game in the early 80`s when my dad made us stand in the burnden paddock,when i protested about not standing on the embankment  he told me to stop moaning,you`ll see why we are here in a minute,cue twenty minutes into the game it all kicked off in there,bottles,bits of loose concrete and all sorts of debris flying everywhere!!!

imo it was the most intimidating ground in the whole football league,worse than the victoria ground,upton park,st andrews or the den,i think it was 1995/96,when they beat us,shearer and all,they were all going mental looking for anyone in blue and white outside the ground,me and mate just put our heads down and managed to make it to the train in one piece🙂

Only went there pre season late 80s and that was ropey enough. I think just where the ground was situated made it prime for attack from all angles. It was a bit of a hole around there from what i remember and Bolton had a lot of Manchester over spill scumbags attached to them.

Victoria ground and St Andrews always the roughest by far from my experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Backroom
On 25/07/2021 at 11:06, Danny O.Brien said:

Two big reasons to watch it on Leeds TV 

download.jpeg

She’s alright. She’s no Wendy though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok he's not a TV presenter but we have David Lowe as a 'face' to the media and hence to the public.

I think Leeds win this round by a couple of points whilst we have one tit.

* Saying "one tit" is of course a fib, we have quite a number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 01:11, AllRoverAsia said:

Ok he's not a TV presenter but we have David Lowe as a 'face' to the media and hence to the public.

I think Leeds win this round by a couple of points whilst we have one tit.

* Saying "one tit" is of course a fib, we have quite a number.

The camera panned to the bench in one of our games last season & I genuinely thought a homeless guy had been given a free ticket to sit on the bench that day! 

Mowbray & him are not exactly what u call "inspirational" are they?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 18:26, rigger said:

You should have tried getting to and from Burnden park, if you wanted character building.

 

On 25/07/2021 at 22:01, simongarnerisgod said:

 

imo it was the most intimidating ground in the whole football league,worse than the victoria ground,upton park,st andrews or the den,i think it was 1995/96,when they beat us,shearer and all,they were all going mental looking for anyone in blue and white outside the ground,me and mate just put our heads down and managed to make it to the train in one piece🙂

I went to Burnden Park a few times in the 70s and 80s with Mark Patterson (before he played for Rovers, we would have been about 12 - 16 years old). It was easily the most scared I was as a young Rovers fan, Manchester Road was brutal and the 225 Ribble bus always got bricked a few times as well between Bolton and Darwen on the way back. Patty mentions it in his forthcoming book (called 'Old School') which is published in October and available here https://www.brownsbfs.co.uk/Product/Patterson-Mark/Old-School--The-Mark-Patterson-Story/9781908847256# 

Much of the book is devoted to Howard Kendall and Bob Saxton's time at the club, with a little bit of the Don Mackay era thrown in too.

I always found it funny that he ended up playing for both teams, including captaining Bolton in that famous victory over us when we were the reigning champions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 01:59, windymiller7 said:

The camera panned to the bench in one of our games last season & I genuinely thought a homeless guy had been given a free ticket to sit on the bench that day! 

Mowbray & him are not exactly what u call "inspirational" are they?

Serious point, we're short of money and Mowbray then Venus/Lowe/Johnson etc.

Surely one assistant manager is enough, how many do we need?

(Needs a clear out of the lot with the possible exception of Johnson imo)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 09:47, oldjamfan1 said:

 

I went to Burnden Park a few times in the 70s and 80s with Mark Patterson (before he played for Rovers, we would have been about 12 - 16 years old). It was easily the most scared I was as a young Rovers fan, Manchester Road was brutal and the 225 Ribble bus always got bricked a few times as well between Bolton and Darwen on the way back. Patty mentions it in his forthcoming book (called 'Old School') which is published in October and available here https://www.brownsbfs.co.uk/Product/Patterson-Mark/Old-School--The-Mark-Patterson-Story/9781908847256# 

Much of the book is devoted to Howard Kendall and Bob Saxton's time at the club, with a little bit of the Don Mackay era thrown in too.

I always found it funny that he ended up playing for both teams, including captaining Bolton in that famous victory over us when we were the reigning champions.

Thanks for the information on Marks upcoming book Andy. Now I would say that it should be a must read for Rovers fan's of a certain generation particularly for us Darreners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 10:20, arbitro said:

Thanks for the information on Marks upcoming book Andy. Now I would say that it should be a must read for Rovers fan's of a certain generation particularly for us Darreners.

I did help to edit it Tony, as well as helping him out with a few names and childhood memories/escapades, so I am lucky enough to have already read it. I can guarantee that Rovers fans and especially as you say - Darreners of a certain age - will love it. His description of Blacksnape and the Darwen League is absolutely bang on the money 🥶

Edited by oldjamfan1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 10:25, oldjamfan1 said:

I did help to edit it Tony, as well as helping him out with a few names and childhood memories/escapades, so I am lucky enough to have already read it. I can guarantee that Rovers fans and especially as you say - Darreners of a certain age - will love it. His description of Blacksnape and the Darwen League is absolutely bang on the money 🥶

I remember many years ago Mark did an interview with the LT and mentioned playing at Blacksnape and in particular one player who he described as the animal. I narrowed it down to one person and asked Mark if it was indeed the one who I thought it was. He flatly denied this but I still think I was right and Mark was fearful of the animal finding out. 😁😁😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 10:32, arbitro said:

I remember many years ago Mark did an interview with the LT and mentioned playing at Blacksnape and in particular one player who he described as the animal. I narrowed it down to one person and asked Mark if it was indeed the one who I thought it was. He flatly denied this but I still think I was right and Mark was fearful of the animal finding out. 😁😁😁

Ha ha - he names him in the book Tony!! Are you thinking JD?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.