BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2021/22 Pre-Season

Absolutely dismal for an hour, the 5 at the back rubbish needs to stop, none of our centre backs are good on the ball for a start, we had absolutely no threat and were constantly on the back foot.

Buckley, Rothwell and Gallagher had a big impact and gave us a spark that was totally absent, Brereton was really poor for an hour but his main aim has to be to score more goals so 2 goals is very encouraging, the second was a very good technical finish which is usually not his strong suit.

The main intrigue comes from players that we know less about or those yet to guarantee a first team spot. Armstrong was in third or fourth gear and Travis was off the pace but we know that they are good enough, Kaminski and Lenihan likewise. Pickering was much more encouraging today with some good passes but he wasnt overly tested defensively. Davenport again was fairly ineffective and is not very good on the ball although he puts himself about, and their left winger was a constant threat and tore Magloire apart really, him and Carter looked a little shaky, possibly not helped by the stupid formation. Dolan is too over elaborate at times with needless stepovers.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

Didn’t see it today, travelling back from playing golf in theWest Midlands yesterday. I went to Ewood on Wednesday and was impressed with Carter and Magoloire. I think the three stooges need to preserver with them. It’s only a friendly and they will improve the more game time they get. Much better than Manuel the brittle Spanish wanker. 

9 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Didn’t see it today, travelling back from playing golf in theWest Midlands yesterday. I went to Ewood on Wednesday and was impressed with Carter and Magoloire. I think the three stooges need to preserver with them. It’s only a friendly and they will improve the more game time they get. Much better than Manuel the brittle Spanish wanker. 

Magloire got absolutely roasted today from League 2 fodder, and Carter looked shaky too. We need a centre half badly.

• Like 5

Carter isn't ready for Championship football just yet. He needs more time to remove the rawness. Ideally a loan would be good but we don't have enough depth for that so he will just have to learn on the job. Magloire is even less polished and is nowhere near the required standard. He looked way out of his depth in the first half.

This five at the back malarkey has to stop now. We still concede goals and don't score them with that formation. The 4 3 3 in the second half was better in every respect. As a basic 11, that team should survive in the division but the inevitable injuries will test us massively. 

Rothwell and Buckley were excellent and must start next week. Gallagher too played well and keeping him fit is going to be crucial. 

• Like 1

I’ve just got back from the game. My main takeaways from it are if we don’t get another centre half in we’ll be going down this season, Ayala is a crock. Magloire and Carter both really struggled today against a Bolton side who have just got up from league two. We should not be relying on those two to play a full season in the championship, neither are ready! Pickering had a poor game again as he did against Leeds. Armstrong looked so uninterested out there, he’s waiting to be sold. Rothwell and Buckley coming on changed the game, Brereton DIAZ took his second goal really well.

I’m really worried for us this season, if we start the season poorly the fans will soon let mowbray know. Couldn’t believe people were actually chanting “Tony give us a wave”. Flat atmosphere, flat performance, it’s good to be back 😳😂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WacoRover said:

Thanks for the updates. 
I guess the big positive from friendlies, is the continued development by BB-D. Trying to stay positive. 

Next time, try visiting our home page. It will show you line ups, key events and stats live for each game. 

• Like 1

Like Wednesday, it was good to see some live football again.

For the first hour or so we were awful, at 2-0 Mowbray started to get some grief make no mistake.

If we play that midfield in the league, we'll get battered. Travis was well off the pace, Davenport is just too small IMO. Carter had a mare. Armstring just jogged around, should have given McBride another run.

The subs completely changed the game. Rothwell and Buckley in particular got us on the front foot, good finish from BBD for the second.

Decent turn out in the end from Rovers, 1200 or so I think.

• Like 1

Today was classic Mowbray for over complicating things. The three in possession and five out of possession just didn't work and the centre backs looked lost at times but the fact he had Magloire stepping up into midfield capped Mowbrays nonsense. It was pretty awful up until we changed to a back four and got some midfield possession. Buckley was our best player for me and he only played half an hour. Rothwell wasn't too far behind him and Garrett gave the back four a really good screen. Davenport and Travis were woeful as Bolton dominated them. If we are going to go with youngsters then there has to be an acceptance that there will be errors. Carter was culpable at times but he looked far better in a four. Armstrong's body language once again spoke volumes. It was quite an entertaining game though but Mowbray should have learned from the past when he has cost us by being too clever. Keep it simple you simpleton.

I still think it's going to be a long hard season and a real scrap.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Good to come back like that and goals to boost Breretons confidence.

As for some of our fans singing 'Mowbray give us a wave'.....fook right off!!😠

Really miffed me hearing those chants.  Some of our fans have a real short-term memory and seem to have forgotten last season’s death spiral, as well as the annual falling apart we have had to endure in almost every single campaign under Tony

20 minutes ago, mustard said:

Really miffed me hearing those chants.  Some of our fans have a real short-term memory and seem to have forgotten last season’s death spiral, as well as the annual falling apart we have had to endure in almost every single campaign under Tony

Some of them didn't forget, they just didn't think it was a problem in the first place...

• Like 4

The main problem is that Mowbray over complicates the game. The younger players today did not appear to know what was expected of them and where placed in an unfamiliar system. Result they look much worse than they are. I heard him talking about counter acting the Leeds pivot on Thursday but these are young players let them concentrate on playing our style not always adapting and changing.

The first half was appalling full of misplaced passes and personal errors. It likes like they’d just meet in the car park. The game in my opinion was rescued by Rothwell taking responsibility and putting Bolton on the back foot.

Mowbray just needs to focus on our plan stop believing he is a football genius and that way he’ll get the best out of what we’ve got.

Never happen by the way 

• Like 5

If this Ben Brereton highlights reel is reflective of his performance in the game, it goes to show with almost absolute certainty, that he should only play as a striker. When playing in midfield roles, he drives with the ball well at times, but he loses possession so much. But for the goals, these highlights (again, if reflective of the game, that I didn't see) suggest that he had a really poor game.

Also, I find it notable that some Rovers players were strolling back to kick off after Brereton's goals - as if they had minimal interest in the scoreline.

PS. Does Brereton have a Chilean PR agency producing these videos? I find it hard to believe that an average to below average Championship player has such keen fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8AyS2_2qEY

Edited by riverholmes

The supporters sang for Mowbray to give them a wave a couple of time but as far has I could see he didn’t respond. The Bolton manager did immediately to the Bolton fans.

I guess disconnection is something you have to accept when your in the presence of a genius 

This is the most downbeat I have been with regards to rovers. Wafer thin squad with massive holes in it and the season starts next week. We always do our business late, so I am hoping that we bring a few much needed faces in this week. A very good performance against Leeds was backed up by a horrible 60 minutes against Bolton. Positives? Pickering will be a good signing & Brereton looks like he is on a real high. But biggest positive so far has been Buckley for me. Excellent against Leeds and excellent again today in a position we are desperately short in. Armstrongs head has been turned. No surprise. He knows the club are desperate to sell him. Why should he bust his balls and risk injury? If all we can manage is a few 'big club' loanees we are in for a looooooooong season. Get this dinasaur and his mates out of my club now. 

• Like 2

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19483009.mowbray-explains-absence-blackburn-rovers-defender-ayala/

I may have missed someone posting this earlier but as expected Ayala will probably be parachuted in against Swansea despite no training - he'll be lucky to complete 10 games this season. What a waste of money for a player who has never been that good. 

Also noting the comment about Bolton, interesting how Bolton are a big club but if anyone tries saying that about Rovers he gets all defensive. Get this clown away from the club ASAP.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RoverKyle said:

In regards to the comments about Armstrong looking disinterested. I agree, but I always get that feeling from him anyway. He's not someone that seems to smile much.

He’s probably pissed off that Ben’s the superstar of the club now :lol:

Against Leeds the formation looked 5-3-1-1, almost a normal system with Dolan given a lot of Freedom. Today we started with 5–2-3, wing backs and wide strikers, nothing in midfield. We finished the game with Mowbray’s trusted 4-3-3.

A week to go before the season opener and it’s impossible to predict what formation we will play, and at best you can only predict 4 of the starting 11 with any degree of certainty. And while we don’t really have a discernible playing identity, the inevitable loss of Armstrong will have to mean a fundamental change to the way we play.

Ridiculous.

Today was a real wake up call after Wednesday. As much as I raved about Magloire on Wednesday he struggled tonight and should’ve done a lot better for their second. If allowed to use his physical attributes and concentrate on defending he’s going to be useful though. We looked miles off it in midfield (numbers and performance) until the subs, all of whom looked lively. Dolan and Nyambe linked up well a few times, but seemed to both be occupying wide space and limiting our outlet for a ball into the box when we did break forward. Gallagher looking good getting on the end of crosses rather than putting them in. Good to see Brereton in the goals, he will need to be. The second was very nice.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Today was classic Mowbray for over complicating things. The three in possession and five out of possession just didn't work and the centre backs looked lost at times but the fact he had Magloire stepping up into midfield capped Mowbrays nonsense. It was pretty awful up until we changed to a back four and got some midfield possession. Buckley was our best player for me and he only played half an hour. Rothwell wasn't too far behind him and Garrett gave the back four a really good screen. Davenport and Travis were woeful as Bolton dominated them. If we are going to go with youngsters then there has to be an acceptance that there will be errors. Carter was culpable at times but he looked far better in a four. Armstrong's body language once again spoke volumes. It was quite an entertaining game though but Mowbray should have learned from the past when he has cost us by being too clever. Keep it simple you simpleton.

I still think it's going to be a long hard season and a real scrap.

The thing that will undo us is the inevitable death spirals that we have every season with this manager. 

We tend to just play through them as he keeps chopping and changing and doing bizarre things. Eventually the law of averages kicks in and something clicks and we win a few then settle down again. All that has been with a strong squad so with a bunch of kids and loans under his methods it'll be harder to bounce back out of these periods.

A good start and pounding a few teams as we also often do is more vital than ever. That little period kept out heads above water last season. Can't rely on end of season dead rubbers every year.

30 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19483009.mowbray-explains-absence-blackburn-rovers-defender-ayala/

I may have missed someone posting this earlier but as expected Ayala will probably be parachuted in against Swansea despite no training - he'll be lucky to complete 10 games this season. What a waste of money for a player who has never been that good. 

Also noting the comment about Bolton, interesting how Bolton are a big club but if anyone tries saying that about Rovers he gets all defensive. Get this clown away from the club ASAP.

What the hell is going on here. Ayala reported 'soreness' before the game and didn't play and Mowbray uses the excuse that he has trained all week to justify it. That has to be the most feeble reason ever for missing a game and Mowbray is fine with it.

Unbelievable and another new low for us.

• Like 4