Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2021/22 Pre-Season

37 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Was just wondering who my starting X1 would be today and I came up with 

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala/Wharton Pickering

Davenport Travis A N Other

Dolan Armstrong Brereton

Not too bad in terms of that particular line up  but I think we desperately need a creative midfielder, I think we'll be screwed if Armstrong goes and todays subs show what a catastrophic mess we're in in terms of the squad.

Could Chapman not do the creative midfield bit?  Seems to have a bit about him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Could Chapman not do the creative midfield bit?  Seems to have a bit about him 

i would`nt risk chapman in the middle of the park,he`s far better out wide,good at crossing and set pieces and always looking forwards,which is good for a winger but not if your manager is mowbray!!!!!!!!!,i hope,due to our squad being paper thin he gets his chance and starts impressing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skous18 said:

So we only had one chance to score a goal and Chapman created it. Great, cant wait for him to be frozen out of the squad 

We hit the post 2 minutes in. These highlights are Everton centric

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Kaminski

Dolan Armstrong Brereton

Not too bad in terms of that particular line up  but I think we desperately need a creative midfielder, I think we'll be screwed if Armstrong goes and todays subs show what a catastrophic mess we're in in terms of the squad.

I'll be honest I'm not too sure of that team.

The defence could be pretty solid but only when (if) Warton comes back from his injury the same player. Plenty don't. At best case scenario we won't be seeing the benefits of this until mid-September earliest. 

Midfield, I'd be worried about Davenport's fitness. I think Rothwell in a 3 has looked decent and could perhaps fill in there, but again there's a few gambles from Davenport's fitness through to Rothwell/s consistency. 

Up front there's a lot of pressure on Bereton and Dolan. Both have showed some promise last season but have a long way to go to be consistent in this league. That's a heck of a step up for both of them. 

So yeah, the team isn't too shabby. But it isn't that strong either. And as you say when you consider it's a squad game, then things get very worrying. Add in TM as manager and it gets even worse.  

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Kaminski

Dolan Armstrong Brereton

I personally dont think that we can consider Davenport or Dolan to be first 11 calibre at the moment, both are young players to have in the squad but neither has proven themselves to be players that we can rely upon week in week out.

I think we need a new right winger, a new striker, a new sitting midfielder and a more attacking one to help to make up the Armstrong deficit once he leaves. We also need a new centre back with so many question marks over Ayala.

12 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i would`nt risk chapman in the middle of the park,he`s far better out wide,good at crossing and set pieces and always looking forwards,which is good for a winger but not if your manager is mowbray!!!!!!!!!,i hope,due to our squad being paper thin he gets his chance and starts impressing

I saw him playing well through the middle.for Shrewsbury,  he seemed to come inside and score from long range....

If we are short might be worth a shot, no point him getting crosses in our forwards are right mard arses and won't head the ball

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Kaminski

Dolan Armstrong Brereton

My starting team would be against Swansea 

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Pickering 

Travis  Davenport  Buckley 

Dolan        Armstrong    Brereton 

For now we have to get the coaches on Sam Gallagher and teach him to play with his back to goal and head a ball. If he could hold it up like graham did for the likes of chapman rothwell Dolan brereton dack and be on the box for crosses then we have a good 5 million striker ready as a replacement. Sadly I can’t see this happening and he will be stuck on the wing being ineffective while Dolan chases shadows through the middle

12 hours ago, skous18 said:

So we only had one chance to score a goal and Chapman created it. Great, cant wait for him to be frozen out of the squad 

From what I’ve read Armstrong went close. I worried that someone will bid big for Kaminski and we’ll be in shit creek without a paddle. We’ll have Mowbray’s mates boy in goal. These muppets couldn’t buy a pig on Chorley flatiron.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

For now we have to get the coaches on Sam Gallagher and teach him to play with his back to goal and head a ball. If he could hold it up like graham did for the likes of chapman rothwell Dolan brereton dack and be on the box for crosses then we have a good 5 million striker ready as a replacement. Sadly I can’t see this happening and he will be stuck on the wing being ineffective while Dolan chases shadows through the middle

He definitely isn't anything other than a central striker but I am unconvinced that he can just be taught how to do what Graham did, Graham's main asset was his brain, his ability to pick up goal scoring positions which Gallagher doesn't do is instinctive and the way he held play up, giving defenders a slight nudge, getting his arse in between the player and ball.

Of course Gallagher should be trained on how to hold the ball up etc as should all strikers but I think the idea of him becoming a direct replacement for Graham was always a flawed one. That is not me having a go at Gallagher because whilst I do think Graham was far more useful, Gallagher does have attributes that are better than Graham, he is not rapid but he is much quicker than Graham and quite a powerful runner for example.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He definitely isn't anything other than a central striker but I am unconvinced that he can just be taught how to do what Graham did, Graham's main asset was his brain, his ability to pick up goal scoring positions which Gallagher doesn't do is instinctive and the way he held play up, giving defenders a slight nudge, getting his arse in between the player and ball.

Of course Gallagher should be trained on how to hold the ball up etc as should all strikers but I think the idea of him becoming a direct replacement for Graham was always a flawed one. That is not me having a go at Gallagher because whilst I do think Graham was far more useful, Gallagher does have attributes that are better than Graham, he is not rapid but he is much quicker than Graham and quite a powerful runner for example.

I honestly believe with that right coaching he could be better than graham. I don’t think he will ever fulfill his potential here .  He isn’t a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but he could be a useful tooL coached correctly. Like a poor mans Kevin Davies. Sadly we are Going to watch week in week out two players played out of position and be completely ineffective 

19 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski 

Think it will be miracle if Ayala fit.

That midfield looks League One.  Johnson already injured - you just couldn't write it.  IMO, a season too far for Johnson - we never, ever learn.

Think Armstrong will be long gone.

Think we will be lucky to be out of the bottom six at any point in the season other than on opening day of the season before a ball is kicked!

9 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I honestly believe with that right coaching he could be better than graham. I don’t think he will ever fulfill his potential here .  He isn’t a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but he could be a useful tooL coached correctly. Like a poor mans Kevin Davies. Sadly we are Going to watch week in week out two players played out of position and be completely ineffective 

I agree with you on tool!

• Like 1

On 18/07/2021 at 00:14, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski 

Armstrong will not be here by then.

If Armstrong is still here by the time the season kicks off I expect he will suddenly develop a random injury which prevents him being selected. Then this will shift to his head not being in the right place and only wanting to pick players who want to be here etc.

All choreographed to shift blame and responsibility onto the player not the club.

Personally I would play 4-4-2, rather than 4-3-3. I would have the same back four in either system. Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala, Pickering. in mid field I would have : JRC, Travis, Rothwell, Chapman. Up front : Armstrong (Brereton), Gallagher. But I don't think there is any chance of Mowbray playing any formation other than 4-3-3. 

We desperately need height, strength and experience.  (I'm surprised we gave Johnson another year, he looked leggy in most games.) With Armstrong going and Elliot gone, that's a lot of goals and creativity for a team with a soft belly to muster up. 

I'm not a Mowbray fan and I totally expect a relegation battle this season. With 40% profit going to St James' Park, I hope we can get as many decent players in as part-ex for Armstrong.

The information is so vague regarding the testing for the Leeds game. Do we need to show proof of a negative test, is it enforceable, is being double vaccinated adequate? I don't think that it is viable to need to go and do a test at a testing site before every game.

Also, Blackpool and Bolton have had games called off. There I suspect will be so many cancelations in the near future.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The information is so vague regarding the testing for the Leeds game. Do we need to show proof of a negative test, is it enforceable, is being double vaccinated adequate? I don't think that it is viable to need to go and do a test at a testing site before every game.

Also, Blackpool and Bolton have had games called off. There I suspect will be so many cancelations in the near future.

Blackpool playing squad members have got the virus. 

You can prove a negative lateral flow test by doing the test and registering the results online the NHS who will sent you text to verify that. Or you can get a PRC test done even if you don't have symptoms and I think the test centre is the car park of the Rovers indoor centre. 

You can prove your double vaccinated by using your NHS GP app if you have one. your Covid-19 jab status  

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blackpool playing squad members have got the virus. 

You can prove a negative lateral flow test by doing the test and registering the results online the NHS who will sent you text to verify that. Or you can get a PRC test done even if you don't have symptoms and I think the test centre is the car park of the Rovers indoor centre. 

You can prove your double vaccinated by using your NHS GP app if you have one. your Covid-19 jab status  

I am double vaccinated and have the app which provides the certificate, but there is nothing on the very vague guidelines given on the club website to suggest that this will be acceptable.

We have lateral flow tests at home which shows the results but actually on the test rather than via message, I am not sure if this would be sufficient. Again, the club website is unclear. Having to go a day or 2 before every game to the test centre to do it that way would be an unnecessary logistical nightmare, especially for someone who cannot drive so I hope that common sense prevails and that I do not need to do that.

I suspect that games will be regularly postponed due to positive tests as mentioned previously.

Edited by roversfan99

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am double vaccinated and have the app which provides the certificate, but there is nothing on the very vague guidelines given on the club website to suggest that this will be acceptable.

I would think that would be more than acceptable. Given that you are sit around and its recommend that you wear a mask when on the concourse. m

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We have lateral flow tests at home which shows the results but actually on the test rather than via message, I am not sure if this would be sufficient.

Yes I know the Lateral flow test shows the results but you are meant to register the results. I have had to this with having a child in school and with me working at the company I do the decision to do weekly tests. Which last Monday show me as positive so booked an immediate PCR test which gave me my results within 13 hours and 10 days of self isolating. 

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I suspect that games will be regularly postponed due to positive tests as mentioned previously.

well if clubs and players take sensible careful precautions then we should limit the postponed games