BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

32 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yet you still think allowing our top goalscorer to leave is sensible and that our difficulties are because of FFP rules?

It's the position we are In.When we have nobody to sell next year and no decent manager will join because we can't spend any money and are facing another battle at the bottom what will you be saying then?

Don't think anyone wants Armstrong sold but it is the situation we are in.We can't be letting our only high value asset at the moment see his contract out 

53 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yet you still think allowing our top goalscorer to leave is sensible and that our difficulties are because of FFP rules?

Is it sensible to allow him to leave on free next summer meaning more players like Travis would be sold to fill in the financial background? 

We need money in.

You are quite happy to go into embargo again which limited your signings and wages. We been down this before and it wasn't good

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Is it sensible to allow him to leave on free next summer meaning more players like Travis would be sold to fill in the financial background? 

We need money in.

You are quite happy to go into embargo again which limited your signings and wages. We been down this before and it wasn't good

This time next summer Travis will have 1 year left on his contract, and a multitude of other players will be out of contract. So I'm not sure what point you are making. I expect you will be arguing he needs to be sold next summer to get some cash in for him rather than risk him leave on a free in 2023.

Unless you are expecting all those players including Lenihan and Nyambe to be offered and sign new deals - I think you are going to be disappointed if so.

I would rather be in a League embargo and survive in the Championship than a self-imposed embargo and get relegated.

If we were under a League embargo now what difference would it have made to our summer? None. We haven't signed anyone and haven't even been close. The manager says loans are all we can hope for so that isn't going to help us in terms of developing more Armstrongs and following the Brentford model is it?

Edited by JHRover

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If we were under a League embargo now what difference would it have made to our summer? None. We haven't signed anyone and haven't even been close. The manager says loans are all we can hope for so that isn't going to help us in terms of developing more Armstrongs and following the Brentford model is it?

Short sighted JH

We could be starting the season -10 pts if found foul of FFP rules 

Say what you like, the money has been there to spend the last two Championship seasons. The facts of the matter are it hasn’t been spent wisely and now this summer, coupled with the pandemic, has meant out relative spending spree has come home to roost 

The contract scenario is another of Mowbray and Waggot’s failures to properly look after the long term future of the club

But all of the above would not be possible if they had genuine oversight from the owners and not instead just a yearly catch up 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Short sighted JH

We could be starting the season -10 pts if found foul of FFP rules 

Say what you like, the money has been there to spend the last two Championship seasons. The facts of the matter are it hasn’t been spent wisely and now this summer, coupled with the pandemic, has meant out relative spending spree has come home to roost 

The contract scenario is another of Mowbray and Waggot’s failures to properly look after the long term future of the club

But all of the above would not be possible if they had genuine oversight from the owners and not instead just a yearly catch up 

No we couldn't.

Even if we are at risk from FFP - and I don't believe we are I think it is a convenient cover - but even if we are there is no way we would start the season on -10 points. Only two clubs have had points deductions, those followed lengthy investigations taking months if not years and both were more complex than straight forward overspending. Birmingham because they ignored an embargo and continued to spend and Sheff Wed because they fiddled with their accounts to hide losses.

I'm not asking for substantial spending or reinvestment. A few free transfers to fill the gaps created would be good. I don't believe that FFP rules are preventing us from doing that - I believe this is down to the owners stopping spending again.

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This time next summer Travis will have 1 year left on his contract, and a multitude of other players will be out of contract. So I'm not sure what point you are making. I expect you will be arguing he needs to be sold next summer to get some cash in for him rather than risk him leave on a free in 2023.

Unless you are expecting all those players including Lenihan and Nyambe to be offered and sign new deals - I think you are going to be disappointed if so.

I would rather be in a League embargo and survive in the Championship than a self-imposed embargo and get relegated.

Yes but we are only allow to lose 39 million pounds in losses in 3 seasons period and allowing Armstrong to leave on free would be crazy and mean other key players would have to be sold. 

League embargo that can veto any signings and control how much we can spend in wages. And you be happy with that?

My paper has been doing a review of the coming season for all the leagues. Today it was the turn of our division and they have us amongst the relegation candidates - “ The outlook for Blackburn also appears bleak. It is difficult to envisage Adam Armstrong, who scored 29 goals last season, being in the Championship at the end of the transfer window and Tony Mowbray, having failed to add to their squad, presumably will again look to the loan market after Tosin Adarabioyo, Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Harvey Elliott impressed “.

Maybe this is me trying to be a bit optimistic.

But I think 2021/22 will be an eye opener of a year in the Championship and perhaps the start of a new age for the league in terms of the haves vs. the have nots.

The Premier League has long been dictated by the top 4/5 teams that challenge for the title/Champions League spots, with a handful left to scrap for the Europa League spots, whilst the majority look for 40 points and survival as soon as possible.

I think this season you'll see a clear gap, much like last season, and a new trend set for years to come. Expect Fulham, West Bromwich and Sheffield Utd to be dominant with their parachute payments, whilst Bournemouth will live off their recent Premier League status also. 

The dial backs from Huddersfield last season and seemingly Swansea City this year prove as much.

This brings me to the Rovers. On paper we look up against it. Whilst I think we're in an unenviable position all things considered, at least we have a strong academy to fall back on! This will become even more important I'd have thought, with squad depths at an all time low.

Its amazing looking at the players who've been released from clubs at this level that are still free agents!

A hypothetical squad that is still available two days before the season starts, made up of players who played in the Championship LAST season.

All these are still Free agents! Thus facing dropping down the legaues/moves abroad/retirement 

GK - Kieren Westwood, Luke Daniels

Def - Adrian Mariappa, Sol Bamba, Joe Bennett, Tommy Elphick, Billy Jones

Mid - Jack Wilshere, Lewis Holtby, Junior Hoilett, Jonny Williams, Florean Jozefzoon, Nathaniel Mendez-Liang, Marco Stiepermann, Kadeem Harris, Joey Pelupessy

Att - Jamie Patterson, Marley Watkins, Jordon Ibe, Oumar Niasse, Yaya Sanogo, Marvin Johnson, Kyle Vassell, Elias Kachunga

This doesn't include the players who are obviously surplus to requirements either, see Tom Trybull.

Squad depths are fragile across the league.

My thoughts are probably concluded by the fact that...yes whilst it does feel bleak at Rovers, the COVID crisis is only now hitting the clubs in the pockets. This plus Brexit, reduced revenues, the disparity between the parachute clubs and the rest...

Its probably going to be an eye opening season for many teams.

Can Rovers better last season and finish 15th? Absolutely

Can Rovers finish in the bottom three? Absolutely

My prediction would be a big gap between the top 3, and big gap between the playoff teams and 7th place and then a bunch of teams from 10th-23rd (sorry Derby) seperated by a handful of points for most, if not all of the season.

I know its only 1 game but Preston losing 4-1 at home to a newly promoted team doesn't look good for their prospects this season.Late equaliser for Blackpool at Bristol City is a good first result back in the championship for them.

55 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I know its only 1 game but Preston losing 4-1 at home to a newly promoted team doesn't look good for their prospects this season.Late equaliser for Blackpool at Bristol City is a good first result back in the championship for them.

I predict that the Nobbers manager, a glorified number two, will be the first manager sacked in the Championship. I can see Paul Gallagher taking over too.

I know it's only the first game of the season  but I wonder what the Swansea fans make of the appointment? They've lost some quality players (that bloody ayew always used to score against us). 

Martin managed mk Dons to mid table in league 1 and has only been a manager for 18 months. It seems that his claim to faim & the reason to have been appointed was that he plays a particular kind of football. Tippy tappy it around and generally do bugger all with it, seems to me..

Very surprised by Jokanovic's tactics at Sheffield United in last game playing 4-4-2 with Fleck and McGoldrick as inverted wingers. He hasn't made a signing yet there which surprised me. 

few draws yesterday but Surprised that Hull beat Preston 4-1 away and How good Luton looked good yesterday on the highlights. 

Will be interesting how Fulham vs Middlesbrough game is today

Expect Preston to struggle. Not the strongest squad and inexperienced manager. Suspect that will turn out to be a poor appointment and quite foolish. The old promote assistant/caretaker to full time manager rarely works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very surprised by Jokanovic's tactics at Sheffield United in last game playing 4-4-2 with Fleck and McGoldrick as inverted wingers. He hasn't made a signing yet there which surprised me. 

few draws yesterday but Surprised that Hull beat Preston 4-1 away and How good Luton looked good yesterday on the highlights. 

Will be interesting how Fulham vs Middlesbrough game is today

with the squad they have promotion should be a formality for fulham,the only negative is they`ve replaced one inefective manager for another one,parker plays fanny football and marco silva has a terrible record as manager of anywhere

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s losing, and then there’s getting dicked 4-1 playing a newly promoted team in your first game at home after opening the scoring . If Carlsberg did losing that’d be it.

Surprised by the result and scoreline when I heard the result in the car on the way home. Surprised they played 3-5-2 only to change it at half time. Long way to go but expect them to struggle along with Huddersfield, Reading, Derby, Peterborough, Hull and Blackpool. 

I think this is the worst Championship lineup in quite some time. Other than the relegated PL teams, everyone looks bang average. The teams competing for promotion that didn’t make it last season all look weaker.

Some of the mid-tier sides like Millwall, Cardiff and Boro look to have strengthened but I still don’t think there’s anything to fear this season. Even with our depleted squad. 

If by some miracle we avoid another injury crisis like last season then this could be a really enjoyable season watching our young squad fulfil their potential.

This of course is my feeling only based on an excellent first game of the season!