BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

36 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Pleased to see Derby winning. I've seen Rooney described on here as a "poor manager" which I do not agree with. Given that it is his first job and the very difficult circumstances in which he has to work I think he's doing well.

Doing well based off what? It's hardly winning games? 

To be fair to him, he has gotten 2 great centre halves in in Davies and Jagielka 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Surprised by Jokanovic start at Sheff Utd. 

I dunno, i'm not that surprised really....nothing to do with the manager as I think he's a good choice at this level, but when you have a team that has been on such a downer for a long time, it's not surprising to see that form carry over into the next season even if there is a change in management. They hadn't signed anyone over the summer until very recently I think? So it's a very similar squad and a group of players that got slapped down quite significantly last season. Confidence will be extremely low and if you're not confident going into the Championship then you'll get a nasty shock.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Never said that but he couldn't do anymore.  Rooney is a knob but fair's fair.

I will always remember when he came to Exeter for the fa cup reply.  All 10000 of us were telling him where the local brothel was (behind at James park) and at half-time he got a cab back to Manchester. It was soon after his first granny incident, made me laugh for weeks. He wasted his talent dropping back to midfield at 28 in his physical prime (haha), the lad could have been another Ronaldo, he had it all.

5 hours ago, sharpysharps86 said:

I dunno, i'm not that surprised really....nothing to do with the manager as I think he's a good choice at this level, but when you have a team that has been on such a downer for a long time, it's not surprising to see that form carry over into the next season even if there is a change in management. They hadn't signed anyone over the summer until very recently I think? So it's a very similar squad and a group of players that got slapped down quite significantly last season. Confidence will be extremely low and if you're not confident going into the Championship then you'll get a nasty shock.

I guess my surprise is by his formation and how he is using players like Brewster and Fleck. 

Yes only signed Ben Davies on loan on the same day we signed Clarkson 

On 19/08/2021 at 10:03, Mashed Potatoes said:

Pleased to see Derby winning. I've seen Rooney described on here as a "poor manager" which I do not agree with. Given that it is his first job and the very difficult circumstances in which he has to work I think he's doing well.

Really? Last season with a decent squad they were worse than us and finished below us. That's not a great indication that he is doing well. In fact they were very lucky to stay up and only a points deduction AND Covid significantly impacting two relegation rivals saved them. If anything he is lucky to be managing this season in the Championship. 

This season has admittedly been more challenging circumstances, but it's very early days. One win in 3, throwing away the lead in injury time Vs Posh (I think) again doesn't shout out that he is doing a great job. 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2021 at 18:35, sharpysharps86 said:

They remind me of teams like Sunderland and Wolves. They were on such a bad run and didn't start the season well in the Championship.

They've surely too many good players to be anywhere near relegation, but it'll take one heck of a turnaround to go back up automatically, that's for sure. 

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Really? Last season with a decent squad they were worse than us and finished below us. That's not a great indication that he is doing well. In fact they were very lucky to stay up and only a points deduction AND Covid significantly impacting two relegation rivals saved them. If anything he is lucky to be managing this season in the Championship. 

This season has admittedly been more challenging circumstances, but it's very early days. One win in 3, throwing away the lead in injury time Vs Posh (I think) again doesn't shout out that he is doing a great job. 

You must be the only person to think that Rooney had a decent squad to work with. When he took over in November they were bottom of the table with 6 points from 11 games. Despite being in his first management job, having to sell players in the transfer window and players sometimes not getting paid because of the mess at the club he kept them up. A very good effort.

Bristol City lost at home to Swansea tonight. BBC reporting that they have played 12 home games without a win; the longest run in their history.

And to think I was advocating Pearson to replace Mowbray not too long ago. Surely he will turn them around. Surely.

17 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You must be the only person to think that Rooney had a decent squad to work with. When he took over in November they were bottom of the table with 6 points from 11 games. Despite being in his first management job, having to sell players in the transfer window and players sometimes not getting paid because of the mess at the club he kept them up. A very good effort.

Actually I am far from alone in that. That seems to be somewhat revisionist. 

For example Four Four Two had predicted  them to be highly placed the last couple of years:

https://fanbanter.co.uk/fourfourtwo-predict-the-20-21-championship-table/

Their fans said stuff like:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11688/12068240/championship-fans-predict-their-clubs-fate-for-the-2020-21-season

And their fan interviewed in Four Four Two predicted them 8th (seperate to pundits opinions above, apologies only have that in paper format.) 

So the idea that no one thought they had a decent squad doesn't seem to hold much water. 

I will acknowledge they were playing badly when he took over but from November onwards there was hardly a massive uptick in form. It seems that the team was underperforming and not doing as expected. And that's a fair bit of time to get it right in a season. 

And as you ignored he had a massive helping hand from Covid. Rotherham having to play so many games in succession, Sheff Weds without their new manager due to Covid, the points deduction. Any one of those didn't happen and it most likely would have been a different story. 

Sheff U have a similar feel to Huddersfield from a couple of years back. Went up the the prem with huge momentum and carried that form on and surprised alot of teams first season up. 

Teams were wise to them 2nd season and so got relegated by a distance with confidence shot and then go into a new season. Despite the money spent, I just don't see where the goals are going to come from this year.

Brewster has been an almighty flop, Liverpool and done a magnificent job of flogging off their excess youngsters for often ridiculous prices.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Sheff U have a similar feel to Huddersfield from a couple of years back. Went up the the prem with huge momentum and carried that form on and surprised alot of teams first season up. 

Teams were wise to them 2nd season and so got relegated by a distance with confidence shot and then go into a new season. Despite the money spent, I just don't see where the goals are going to come from this year.

Brewster has been an almighty flop, Liverpool and done a magnificent job of flogging off their excess youngsters for often ridiculous prices.

twenty three million quid for that journeyman brewster!!!!!!!!!!sheff utd stood still and did`nt freshen up the side,burnley are the same this year,if you stand still in the top league you end up going down

7 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

It does feel like the right manager but at the wrong club and at the wrong time. Sometimes, despite his record in the championship, it just doesn't fit. 

I'm just surprised how quickly the Forest fans turned on him on Wednesday and seems they like the tactics he is playing atm. 

Forest allowed their last manager to spend millions after millions last Summer then quickly sack him. Plus they have a new CEO in there so wonder whats his thoughts are

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would be surprised if he survives another defeat or two, but who do they go for? On paper he appeared a great choice. 

Well James Garner has signed for them today but Hughton has been saying for weeks he needs signings in. 

If they did sack him I am sure their new CEO(Former Barnsley CEO) would have different options open to them.