BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

14 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Top 3 as they stand look strong, especially fulham and wba. Hard to look past them already. Wba scabbed a 94th min winner tonight.

Indeed. WBA have a very good manager and can grind out results. Fulham aren't hindered by Parker any more so should do well. 

At the bottom end the big surprise to me is Reading. What has gone on there from last season? Other teams round the bottom aren't quite as surprising. Would expect Forest to be doing a bit better without (pardon the pun) pulling up trees. Maybe thought Sheff Utds quality would have bailed them out a little more but not that much of a surprise given they have been in such a rut to keep struggling. 

fulham and wba are certs for promotion,they are by far the best two teams in the division,i don`t think there is to much difference between the rest of us,the play offs are there for the taking imo,unfortunately we have individuals running the club who ar`nt up to guiding us there,there will never ever be an easier time to get us to the play offs,it`s bleeding maddening

Time the EFL banned the towel used by WBA for long throwings. 

I think Jokanovic will walk away from Sheffield United shortly after his outburst yesterday post match. Wonder if he will get his signings he wants. 

less than 3 days of the transfer windows and many teams are chasing 2, 3 or 4 signings. Going to be busy time. 

Reading doing so badly is to be expect when you look at lack of signings there so far and how small their squad is

58 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Surely there must be something whereby the use of a towel has to have the agreement of both teams & be available for the use of both teams? @arbitro Tony, can you shed any light on this mate?

Also, the thing that pissed me off the most, was the amount of time they are being allowed to dry the ball. I thought he was trying to rub the pattern off it at one point! Refs really need to clamp down on that aspect of it.

Towels can be used but it's the home side that should be initiating their use. West Brom were sneaky last week and didn't mention it was their intention to put them out around the pitch. I'm sure Rovers would have objected had they known beforehand. The referee thought what West Brom did was permissible and allowed them to carry on. I think that the referees will be receiving a memo this week reminding them.

West Brom tried to circumvent the towel thing yesterday by asking supporters for items of clothing. That also needs clearing up.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Towels can be used but it's the home side that should be initiating their use. West Brom were sneaky last week and didn't mention it was their intention to put them out around the pitch. I'm sure Rovers would have objected had they known beforehand. The referee thought what West Brom did was permissible and allowed them to carry on. I think that the referees will be receiving a memo this week reminding them.

West Brom tried to circumvent the towel thing yesterday by asking supporters for items of clothing. That also needs clearing up.

Cheers. I thought I'd heard something along those lines a while ago. Think it was back in the Rory Delap days at Stoke.

4 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Cheers. I thought I'd heard something along those lines a while ago. Think it was back in the Rory Delap days at Stoke.

The towel thing came from Tranmere when Dave Challlinor had a huge throw. At the exchange of team sheets John Aldridge told the opposition manager that the towels were there and they could use them too. They never did it away from Prenton Park though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The towel thing came from Tranmere when Dave Challlinor had a huge throw. At the exchange of team sheets John Aldridge told the opposition manager that the towels were there and they could use them too. They never did it away from Prenton Park though.

The commentators were insinuating on Sky last night that towels were allowed if both sides were allowed to use them  but this posed questions regarding Covid so WBA had offered to provide two sets, one for each side.

Personally I think the EFL has to provide clear guidance on this and that the use of towels if it is to be allowed at all should only be entirely at the discretion of and with the agreement of the home side. 

If they say no, then no towels and use thereof or using an item of supporters clothing as happened last night should result in a yellow card each time.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The commentators were insinuating on Sky last night that towels were allowed if both sides were allowed to use them  but this posed questions regarding Covid so WBA had offered to provide two sets, one for each side.

Surely a red herring Rev.  How many players at the end of the game all do handshakes and then proceed to put their hands to mouths to stop us seeing what they are saying.......I think football has forgotten about covid, and quite right.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I remember Pedersen using a towel on occasion, and his shirt on others. I also remember Burnley moving the advertising hoardings closer to the pitch when Stoke came to town.

I tend to think it to be a minor thing to moan about as long as the ref is adding time on. There’s plenty of minor things done to try and improve performance or counter another teams strengths. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Surely a red herring Rev.  How many players at the end of the game all do handshakes and then proceed to put their hands to mouths to stop us seeing what they are saying.......I think football has forgotten about covid, and quite right.

Exactly. 

The Gaelic football final here will be Tyrone and Mayo, the 2 teams who had the biggest covid outbreaks during the season. Maybe its performance enhancing for some 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Exactly. 

The Gaelic football final here will be Tyrone and Mayo, the 2 teams who had the biggest covid outbreaks during the season. Maybe its performance enhancing for some 

The Rugby League guys make me smile. No scrums allowed but 2 or 3 men in every tackle, players wrestling on the ground etc yet it’s elbow bumps only at the end of the game !

• Like 3

• Backroom

I didn't realise how much Championship spending had dropped till I just heard on the radio:

19/20  =  £180 million

20/21  =  £70 million

21/22  =  £35 million (with a few hours to go)

Massive reduction in spending, regardless of the pandemic.

I'm guessing that's full season so still January to factor in, but still. 

37 minutes ago, Silas said:

I didn't realise how much Championship spending had dropped till I just heard on the radio:

19/20  =  £180 million

20/21  =  £70 million

It’s exactly that there is a huge cash shortfall across football because of the pandemic 

42 minutes ago, Silas said:

19/20  =  £180 million

20/21  =  £70 million

Pandemic and the EFL have actually stated to enforce FFP

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It’s exactly that there is a huge cash shortfall across football because of the pandemic 

23 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Pandemic and the EFL have actually stated to enforce FFP

Still, our league seems to be by far the most significant drop. 

Prem = 1.5 bill, 1.36 bill, 1.1 bill    27% drop

Champ = 215 m, 74 m, 35 m        84% drop

League 1 = 5.7 m, 3.44 m, 2.1 m   63% drop

League 2 = No figures.

Even in Europe:

Germany = 843 m to 353 m         58% drop

Italy =   1.24 bill to 472 m            70% drop

Spain = 1.35 bill to 226 m            83 % drop

France = 734 m to 315 m             57% drop

So, our league and La Liga appear to be Top of the Pops.

Guess it makes sense as both league's spending was probably out of sync with the income each produced. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transferbilanz/wettbewerb/GB2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Still, our league seems to be by far the most significant drop. 

Prem = 1.5 bill, 1.36 bill, 1.1 bill    27% drop

Champ = 215 m, 74 m, 35 m        84% drop

League 1 = 5.7 m, 3.44 m, 2.1 m   63% drop

League 2 = No figures.

Even in Europe:

Germany = 843 m to 353 m         58% drop

Italy =   1.24 bill to 472 m            70% drop

Spain = 1.35 bill to 226 m            83 % drop

France = 734 m to 315 m             57% drop

So, our league and La Liga appear to be Top of the Pops.

Guess it makes sense as both league's spending was probably out of sync with the income each produced. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transferbilanz/wettbewerb/GB2

Without claiming to be an expert in football finance, I'd read that as us (along with La Liga in a slightly different way) as having lived most beyond our means over the last few years, therefore being most exposed to a 'shock' event like a pandemic. Clubs in the top flight still have their main income stream from TV, whereas many clubs further down the food chain are already used to the pressures of needing to balance the books. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I was playing a hypothetical game of ‘which clubs incomings would I most want here’ have to say I think Boro look to have a couple of decent additions there 

Didnt spot that QPR could now line up with Austin and Gray up front, short term but two proven goal scorers there 

Interestingly  quite a lot of clubs have brought in strikers on frees or loans that would have strengthened us, you have to wonder if us being too slow working down the list has left us lacking 

25 minutes ago, Tom said:

I was playing a hypothetical game of ‘which clubs incomings would I most want here’ have to say I think Boro look to have a couple of decent additions there 

Didnt spot that QPR could now line up with Austin and Gray up front, short term but two proven goal scorers there 

Interestingly  quite a lot of clubs have brought in strikers on frees or loans that would have strengthened us, you have to wonder if us being too slow working down the list has left us lacking 

Swansea have done OK.

Routledge without a club, he is 36 but always thought he was a player.