BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would imagine a lot of fans of different clubs would take take Keane before a guy who won a cup in Scotland. The guy is a living legend and one of the most decorated players and best leaders of the modern generation. Has actually won this division as a manager and managed in the Premier league. You have some strange blinkers. 

Years ago is his management career. Over 10 years since he was a manager. No club has appoint since Ipswich. Wonder why that is? Y

Legend as a player but never replicated as a manager. You keep your Keane love in mate cos I wouldn't him anywhere near the Rovers manager seat. You are judging him on his playing career

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Hughton sacked by Forest

No surprised by that. 

Wonder who Dane Murphy will do now and appoint 

They have placed Steven Reid as interim head coach until an appointment is made. 

I think they go for a head coach in Germany or Austria. Maybe the former Barnsley head coach who is coaching in MLS now

Edited by chaddyrovers

My thoughts on managerial options (although I think we are stuck with TM forever):

1) You have to be careful with one club successes. It may be an indicator of greatness but it may well not be. Most managers have a "right fit" club where they do well - even Coyle with the Dingles. Hasslebank is another - excellent at Burton, poor elsewhere. (Had to have this pointed out to me but the point still stands.) I'd be cautious on this front. It's not a deal breaker but needs investigating. 

2) Anyone not wanting McCarthy is imo pretty daft. Not an unblemished record for sure, but a very good one. Multiple promotions, lots of experience, but what stands out to me is the last 2 jobs he has done. He has revitalised Cardiff, improving them more in one year than our "epic" journey under TM. And Ipswich was a good job too, where he had them punching above their weight. Just look at what happened to them when he left. He's definitely not yesterday's man and would be my pick. Not that he would leave Cardiff for us. 

• Like 1

Funny game this football lark, many Rovers fans were saying why can’t we be forward thinking management and go for decent managers like Hughton, Pearson, who on paper are decent championship managers, yet it’s strange why it’s not worked out for them, Bristol not won at home since January and Forrest having a right mare.

Sometimes it’s a lottery getting a new manager and that’s why Rovers will have to be on their mettle if TM does go at the end of his contract, the saying, better the devil you know is sometimes true, but I also agree you can be in a job too long.

Plenty folk used to say Derby had great owners, compared to us,look what’s happening to them at the moment, so it’s not all doom and gloom at Ewood but obviously it could be a lot better, keep the faith COYB.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

My thoughts on managerial options (although I think we are stuck with TM forever):

1) You have to be careful with one club successes. It may be an indicator of greatness but it may well not be. Most managers have a "right fit" club where they do well - even Coyle with the Dingles. Hasslebank is another - excellent at Burton, poor elsewhere. (Had to have this pointed out to me but the point still stands.) I'd be cautious on this front. It's not a deal breaker but needs investigating. 

2) Anyone not wanting McCarthy is imo pretty daft. Not an unblemished record for sure, but a very good one. Multiple promotions, lots of experience, but what stands out to me is the last 2 jobs he has done. He has revitalised Cardiff, improving them more in one year than our "epic" journey under TM. And Ipswich was a good job too, where he had them punching above their weight. Just look at what happened to them when he left. He's definitely not yesterday's man and would be my pick. Not that he would leave Cardiff for us. 

My pick would be the lad at Bolton but I doubt wether he’d come here now.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My pick would be the lad at Bolton but I doubt wether he’d come here now.

Not really paid any attention to him. What's his CV like?

11 minutes ago, unsall said:

Funny game this football lark, many Rovers fans were saying why can’t we be forward thinking management and go for decent managers like Hughton, Pearson, who on paper are decent championship managers, yet it’s strange why it’s not worked out for them, Bristol not won at home since January and Forrest having a right mare.

As I said before I think all managers have a good club in them. And probably the converse is true too they all probably have a bad club in them too! Guess that's where you need to do some digging to try to ascertain if they  are the real deal or go with a good track record. 

Pearson is an interesting one. Not sure that it can be said he is past it as his previous role with Watford he did really well. He got them from dead and buried to having a chance of staying up before being sacked. It's a funny one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Years ago is his management career. Over 10 years since he was a manager. No club has appoint since Ipswich. Wonder why that is? Y

Legend as a player but never replicated as a manager. You keep your Keane love in mate cos I wouldn't him anywhere near the Rovers manager seat. You are judging him on his playing career

I told you why he hasn't managed, he has had plenty of offers. 

He won the championship as a manager which is more than your suggestions have done 

• Like 1

Inside take on Hughton at forrest from the athletic today 

On a basic level, Hughton’s biggest downfall, his biggest failure was not any breakdown of his relations with the players or the Forest hierarchy. It was a refusal to try anything different, he had no Plan B. Those results never came; the mood never changed. At least not for the better.

He has faced similar criticisms before, at Norwich and Brighton.

“I did not like the way he was as a manager,” former Forest striker Grant Holt, who played under Hughton at Norwich, told the Under The Cosh podcast recently. Holt added that he did not like the defensive philosophy of Hughton’s football, despite liking the man himself.

“I did not enjoy it,” he added. “We did have an argument about it once and he said to me ‘if you do not like the way I am going to play, you are not going to play’.

“I told him it was fine, because I’m bored to death playing the way you play anyway…”

But another impact of the COVID lockdown was a sluggish, cautious transfer window throughout the Championship, among those clubs not armed with parachute payments at least.

For Hughton, the reinforcements arrived too late.  Ten new signings eventually came, which prompted talk of adopting a 4-3-3 formation, with Paraguay international Braian Ojeda set to be a key figure in midfield. But with the 21-year-old forced to isolate after international duty, Hughton’s last two games saw him persevere with the same 4-2-3-1 approach and the same structured mentality that had become a source of frustration for so many.

There was a glimmer of a suggestion that things might change against Cardiff, as a well-crafted team goal, finished by Lewis Grabban, provided a sense of hope. But then normal service resumed as, for the fourth time in six Championship games, Forest conceded two soft goals to succumb to a 2-1 defeat.

Against Middlesbrough, the story remained familiar. Forest missed the few decent chances they created, while Warnock’s side did not. The agonising mistake from keeper Ethan Horvath, who controlled Loic Mbe Soh’s back pass poorly and allowed Onel Hernandez to fire into an empty net for their second goal, felt like an unnecessarily cruel coup de grace.

The fact he subsequently used his final substitution to replace Mbe Soh with another right-back, in Jayden Richardson, at a time when Forest needed two goals to get back in the game, only underlined Hughton’s habit of making cautious, like-for-like changes off the bench.

There are mitigating factors when assessing what has unfolded.

Forest have had a fierce and admirable desire to do things differently this summer; to build a younger squad that is full of ambition, hunger and potential — all while cutting the wage bill and trimming some fat.

All of which took time and, in the process, left Forest — and Hughton — short of options in key areas. Forest lacked options in both full-back positions. Gaetan Bong was brought back in from the cold to play at left-back — after previously being told he could leave the club — and, at times, still looked partially frozen.

On the right side, Forest had to rely on an 18-year-old; Fin Back is a young man with a very bright future ahead of him — and who performed well when called upon, letting nobody down — but his initial inclusion was still motivated by circumstance. 

Hughton departs without three of the new signings — Ojeda, Rodrigo Ely and Mohamed Drager having kicked a ball.

While their failure to sign a striker — with a deal for Bordeaux forward Josh Maja collapsing at the 11th hour when the French club thought it was done — has left Hughton to persevere with Lyle Taylor up front, who has struggled badly in the last two games.

In the days before his departure, it felt telling that Hughton began to speak about his tenure as if it had already ended. 

“You feel the pressure of the job, of the support base and what the club want. But the last person the players need to see down in the dumps or not on decent form is the manager,” said Hughton in his final pre-match press conference. “I enjoy this job. It is less enjoyable at times like this. But the plusses are the work you do on the training pitch; working with young players is the best thing you do.

“It is only when you are here that you realise what a big and great club this is. I have thoroughly enjoyed managing this club.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I told you why he hasn't managed, he has had plenty of offers. 

He won the championship as a manager which is more than your suggestions have done 

Waiting over 10 years for the right job. 

Years ago was that. Living in the past

What success has he had in the last 3 or 4 seasons? Nothing as manager. He couldn't even get the Celtic manager job this summer. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What success has he had in the last 3 or 4 seasons? Nothing as manager. He couldn't even get the Celtic manager job this summer. 

Couldnt even get the Celtic job? Ya, because they could get better and more experienced candidates. Look at our list of managers under Venkys if you don't comprehend where we are at on the pecking order, contrary to your blinkered view that we are somehow hot property to manage. It's a rogues gallery of misfits and never weres. 

We would be lucky to have a high profile winner like Keane in the dug out. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Not really paid any attention to him. What's his CV like?

As I said before I think all managers have a good club in them. And probably the converse is true too they all probably have a bad club in them too! Guess that's where you need to do some digging to try to ascertain if they  are the real deal or go with a good track record. 

Pearson is an interesting one. Not sure that it can be said he is past it as his previous role with Watford he did really well. He got them from dead and buried to having a chance of staying up before being sacked. It's a funny one. 

He had a varied career as a player. As a manager he was caretaker at Chesterfield when they went down, brought in too late I suspect. He got Barrow promoted to the Football League after the best part of 50 years in the wilderness. Going well at Bolton at the moment after getting them promoted last season. He’s got the town of Bolton buzzing at the moment in complete contrast to things at Ewood were it’s hard to find anything to be enthusiastic about.

I heard him interviewed on GMR recently and I was really impressed. He has the right mixture of enthusiasm and common sense. You could tell he’s very ambitious. If things go well at Bolton this season he’ll be off. 

20 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I'd love Keane at EP, not least because we could all the do the photocopier story again.  Even if we lost loads, it would be fun.

😂

He would demand the best, but I have to say, without being accused of veering into flip flop territory,Mowbray deserves huge credit for the start of this season. 

Just waiting for him to be offered a new deal..... 

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The same could be said for Mark Hughes, @chaddyrovers.

Weren't you promoting him not too long ago?

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

😂

He would demand the best, but I have to say, without being accused of veering into flip flop territory,Mowbray deserves huge credit for the start of this season. 

Just waiting for him to be offered a new deal..... 

I think the surprising number of points we’ve managed to acquire doesn’t tell the whole story. Some of our play has been abysmal at times.

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Couldnt even get the Celtic job? Ya, because they could get better and more experienced candidates. Look at our list of managers under Venkys if you don't comprehend where we are at on the pecking order, contrary to your blinkered view that we are somehow hot property to manage. It's a rogues gallery of misfits and never weres. 

We would be lucky to have a high profile winner like Keane in the dug out. 

Lucky? He is a scumbag and an even worse manager. Stay well away

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would imagine a lot of fans of different clubs would take take Keane before a guy who won a cup in Scotland. The guy is a living legend and one of the most decorated players and best leaders of the modern generation. Has actually won this division as a manager and managed in the Premier league. You have some strange blinkers. 

Hasn't Davidson just signed a four year contract with St Johnstone ?

1 hour ago, PeteJD13 said:

Inside take on Hughton at forrest from the athletic today 

On a basic level, Hughton’s biggest downfall, his biggest failure was not any breakdown of his relations with the players or the Forest hierarchy. It was a refusal to try anything different, he had no Plan B. Those results never came; the mood never changed. At least not for the better.

He has faced similar criticisms before, at Norwich and Brighton.

“I did not like the way he was as a manager,” former Forest striker Grant Holt, who played under Hughton at Norwich, told the Under The Cosh podcast recently. Holt added that he did not like the defensive philosophy of Hughton’s football, despite liking the man himself.

“I did not enjoy it,” he added. “We did have an argument about it once and he said to me ‘if you do not like the way I am going to play, you are not going to play’.

“I told him it was fine, because I’m bored to death playing the way you play anyway…”

But another impact of the COVID lockdown was a sluggish, cautious transfer window throughout the Championship, among those clubs not armed with parachute payments at least.

For Hughton, the reinforcements arrived too late.  Ten new signings eventually came, which prompted talk of adopting a 4-3-3 formation, with Paraguay international Braian Ojeda set to be a key figure in midfield. But with the 21-year-old forced to isolate after international duty, Hughton’s last two games saw him persevere with the same 4-2-3-1 approach and the same structured mentality that had become a source of frustration for so many.

There was a glimmer of a suggestion that things might change against Cardiff, as a well-crafted team goal, finished by Lewis Grabban, provided a sense of hope. But then normal service resumed as, for the fourth time in six Championship games, Forest conceded two soft goals to succumb to a 2-1 defeat.

Against Middlesbrough, the story remained familiar. Forest missed the few decent chances they created, while Warnock’s side did not. The agonising mistake from keeper Ethan Horvath, who controlled Loic Mbe Soh’s back pass poorly and allowed Onel Hernandez to fire into an empty net for their second goal, felt like an unnecessarily cruel coup de grace.

The fact he subsequently used his final substitution to replace Mbe Soh with another right-back, in Jayden Richardson, at a time when Forest needed two goals to get back in the game, only underlined Hughton’s habit of making cautious, like-for-like changes off the bench.

There are mitigating factors when assessing what has unfolded.

Forest have had a fierce and admirable desire to do things differently this summer; to build a younger squad that is full of ambition, hunger and potential — all while cutting the wage bill and trimming some fat.

All of which took time and, in the process, left Forest — and Hughton — short of options in key areas. Forest lacked options in both full-back positions. Gaetan Bong was brought back in from the cold to play at left-back — after previously being told he could leave the club — and, at times, still looked partially frozen.

On the right side, Forest had to rely on an 18-year-old; Fin Back is a young man with a very bright future ahead of him — and who performed well when called upon, letting nobody down — but his initial inclusion was still motivated by circumstance. 

Hughton departs without three of the new signings — Ojeda, Rodrigo Ely and Mohamed Drager having kicked a ball.

While their failure to sign a striker — with a deal for Bordeaux forward Josh Maja collapsing at the 11th hour when the French club thought it was done — has left Hughton to persevere with Lyle Taylor up front, who has struggled badly in the last two games.

In the days before his departure, it felt telling that Hughton began to speak about his tenure as if it had already ended. 

“You feel the pressure of the job, of the support base and what the club want. But the last person the players need to see down in the dumps or not on decent form is the manager,” said Hughton in his final pre-match press conference. “I enjoy this job. It is less enjoyable at times like this. But the plusses are the work you do on the training pitch; working with young players is the best thing you do.

“It is only when you are here that you realise what a big and great club this is. I have thoroughly enjoyed managing this club.”

Sounds familiar.