Or Euro 2021...

Looking forward to it because it's three years since the last tournament. Added bonus is that it shortens the wait until the next tournament from 2.5 years to 1.5 years. Added added bonus is that there should only be a 1.5 year wait after that until the next tournament. Tournaments! Hurrah!

Sadly, no Rovers players in any of the announced squads. Kaminski is on the standby list, but that's all she wrote. If only Gibraltar had qualified...

What are your predictions?

Winner: France.

Surprise package: Denmark.

England?: Out in the Round of 16.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If this is how football has “evolved” and this is the game now as we are often told, I give up. I’d much rather watch poor quality uploaded vhs footage of games on YouTube of when you could actua

Paul Gascoigne: “What do you call a Scotsman in the second round of a World Cup?” 🤔 “A referee.” 😂

Wow. I don't know if you watched it live. But it was genuinely shocking.  I'm aware terrible things happen in the world on a daily basis. But to show such little remorse to any human being shows such

Posted Images

France v Wales was on US TV. 

France won 3-0 against 10 men. They will be hard to beat. Benzema coming back will help them. He's been a lively soul all season.

Neco Williams was sent off after less than half an hour after adjudged by VAR to have deliberately handballed a goal bound effort.

What gets me about it is that the game was a friendly. A tune up for a tournament. Rather than sending the player off, thus completely changing the game and ruining any chance to properly assess why don't ref's allow for the offending player to be substituted? 

59 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Neco Williams was sent off after less than half an hour after adjudged by VAR to have deliberately handballed a goal bound effort.

What gets me about it is that the game was a friendly. A tune up for a tournament. Rather than sending the player off, thus completely changing the game and ruining any chance to properly assess why don't ref's allow for the offending player to be substituted? 

Not up to them to allow that. Their job is to implement the rules. It's the governing bodies you want to suggest change it. If a ref allowed that I suspect he'd be risking his career prospects. Why should he do that?

You can assess your players under the pressure of being a man down too. That's a scenario you may have to come across in a tournament and can learn lessons from.

• K-Hod pinned this topic
16 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Winner: England

Surprise package: England

England: Winners 

That really would be a surprise. I've seen nothing from our national team in the last 50 years to suggest we've any chance of even reaching a final. We should have but somehow it never happens.  We're usually enormously underwhelming.

If England win the group there’s no doubt in my mind they will lose to whoever they play in the last 16. Not because they’re necessarily better but because it’s England and we’ll not beat a top side in a knockout game.

The way the last 16 works seems a bit ridiculous as well the winner of D (our group) plays the runner up in the group of death. Yet the runnner up in our group play the runners up of another easier group. Also there’s another knockout round where 2 runners up play each other. Too many teams letting too much of the dregs in but suppose if want to win need to beat the best sides. 

10 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Hopefully not or my life will be a misery.

Snap - to make matters worse I'll will be watching the game at my Scottish other-half's parents house. Nightmare scenario.

our goalkeeping situation is terrible and our defence is poor,though we are ok going forwards we`ll always come up short against teams that don`t give the ball away and ar`nt intimidated,i find southgate an average manager and like most poor and average managers they tend to overthink tactics wise,kind of an expensive mowbray tbh

3 hours ago, matt83 said:

If England win the group there’s no doubt in my mind they will lose to whoever they play in the last 16. Not because they’re necessarily better but because it’s England and we’ll not beat a top side in a knockout game.

The way the last 16 works seems a bit ridiculous as well the winner of D (our group) plays the runner up in the group of death. Yet the runnner up in our group play the runners up of another easier group. Also there’s another knockout round where 2 runners up play each other. Too many teams letting too much of the dregs in but suppose if want to win need to beat the best sides. 

The whole tournament structure is farcical now that theyve expanded it to 24. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The whole tournament structure is farcical now that theyve expanded it to 24. 

Agreed, loved the 16 team Euros, the standard was always very high from start to finish (though I'd say the standard of international football in general was higher back when I'm thinking off - Euro 2000, 2004 etc).

Euro 2016 on the other hand I thought wasn't great (not just because of England stinking it out). Portugal played to their strengths to win it so fair play to them but they came 3rd in the group without winning a game and still got through. 

Still really looking forward to this tournament though of course.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think they'll be lucky to get out of it. Some decent teams.

Only 8 teams miss out from the groups…so if we don’t qualify we get what we deserve 

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

our goalkeeping situation is terrible and our defence is poor,though we are ok going forwards we`ll always come up short against teams that don`t give the ball away and ar`nt intimidated,i find southgate an average manager and like most poor and average managers they tend to overthink tactics wise,kind of an expensive mowbray tbh

Pickford isn't terrible hes a good solid keeper