BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Didn't watch Finland Denmark but suffice to say very glad Erikson is ok. 

Hard to judge how good Belgium are as Russia was very poor. If it was on paper they would do very well. It's not on paper though (stating the obvious.) 

Preferred ITVs in match commentary although like Belgium and Russia itself that was perhaps more telling of the poorness of BBC than anything on the quality of the ITV commentary. It did make me shake my head when they talked about the Euros being designed to quickly into the luminaries of football, which given how much they have extended the size of it is horse manure and the opposite of the truth. 

Overall two decent watches today albeit it really isn't going to hot up until past the group stage as it's a diluted set of groups.

So today’s the day I fear a lot of England fans will be surprised by another tournament bottle job. That said finishing 2nd is the only way to go. A stat I heard England have never won their opening game at the euros. 

Edited by matt83

24 minutes ago, matt83 said:

So today’s the day I fear a lot of England fans will be surprised by another tournament bottle job. That said finishing 2nd is the only way to go. A stat I heard England have never won their opening game at the euros. 

I don’t have the stats to back this up, it’s just a gut feeling, but we always seem to get off to sluggish starts in tournament finals. With the obvious exception of Spain 82 😂

41 minutes ago, matt83 said:

So today’s the day I fear a lot of England fans will be surprised by another tournament bottle job.

Croatia are still a dangerous side with some world class players. Modrić. Rebić. Perišić. Brozović. We've got a few of our own, of course, but I think it's an even match-up on paper. Wembley should give us the edge. Come on England!

42 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I don’t have the stats to back this up, it’s just a gut feeling, but we always seem to get off to sluggish starts in tournament finals. With the obvious exception of Spain 82 😂

You’re not wrong. In opening games of the World Cup played 15, won 6, lost 3, drew 6 (thank god for Tunisia). In the euros played 9, won 0, lost 4, drew 5.

So all tournaments record played 24, won 6, lost 7, drew 11. There’s been some absolute shockers in those as well usa, Ireland, etc

13 minutes ago, matt83 said:

You’re not wrong. In opening games of the World Cup played 15, won 6, lost 3, drew 6 (thank god for Tunisia). In the euros played 9, won 0, lost 4, drew 5.

So all tournaments record played 24, won 6, lost 7, drew 11. There’s been some absolute shockers in those as well usa, Ireland, etc

The Euros record is telling. Generally that's because the overall quality of the Euros is stronger - or perhaps I should say was stronger. However these days with more teams I think this is less of an issue as we can afford to be slow in warming up. Would still prefer us to start well though. 

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, matt83 said:

So, a 25% win record then.

To put that in perspective,  Sheff Wed, rock bottom of the Championship, had a 26% win record last season.

Not exactly filling me with confidence and pumping me up on match day.

0-0 or 1-1 draw for me. I'll take it. Will make the Scotland game a hell of a tie.

15 hours ago, roverandout said:

The players requested it. Not sure if its ericsson or the other players.  Im sure I read ericsson own request 

Read somewhere that the players were only given the choice of continue last night or noon today.

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

Read somewhere that the players were only given the choice of continue last night or noon today.

I read this that Eriksen face time his team mates to tell them to play on that evening

57 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Rumours trippier starts at leftback.  Mental considering we have 2 top class leftbacks in the squad 

crazy if Southgate plays Tripper at left back. Rumours are that Foden and Sterling will start today. Looks like back 4 with Rice and Philips in centre midfielder. 

• Backroom

Looks like Trippier is indeed starting at LB. Very, very strange decision. Lose this one and there will be questions over that line-up, and rightfully so.

If Chilwell and Shaw aren't fit enough or carry injuries then makes no sense taking a risk on them when Tripper can play there. 

Straight chocie between Mings and Coady. on club form You would pick Mings in my opinion. 

Playing 4-2-3-1 formation is the right way for me and with Foden, Mount and Sterling(Would have picked Rashford myself) behind Kane.

Its important we play our game and don't be over cautious.  

• J*B unpinned this topic