BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I don't give an eff if it was contact or not.  We are in the final.  I couldn't care less if Harry kane picks the ball up American football style and runs half the pitch and does a slam dunk Into the goal. We're there fack it. 

The match officials for Sunday.

Final
London, 11 July 2021 21:00 CET
ITALY - ENGLAND
Referee: Björn Kuipers (NED)
Assistant Referee 1: Sander van Roekel (NED)
Assistant Referee 2: Erwin Zeinstra (NED)
Fourth Official: Carlos del Cerro Grande (ESP)
Fifth Official: Juan Carlos Yuste Jiménez (ESP)
Video Assistant Referee: Bastian Dankert (GER)
Assistant  Video Assistant Referee 1:Pol van Boekel (NED)
Assistant  Video Assistant Referee 2: Christian Gittelmann (GER)
Assistant  Video Assistant Referee 3: Marco Fritz (GER)

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You see that's where we are miles apart, I would say that there's no way in a million years was it a foul in the first place.

Contact per se isn't a foul as far as I'm aware. (Yet)

It's not just random contact. It's a deliberate attempt to put an arm out to stop Speedie. Had he been running and his arm went across him that's one thing, but Walsh gets nutmegged and because he turned like a carthorse he puts his arm out deliberately with only one purpose. What else is he trying to do other than stop Speedie?

I can see the argument with the fact the Danish players didn't try to hinder or stop Sterling,  and they simply caught him. It wasn't intentional and is harsh. The entire movement of Steve Walsh was to hinder Speedie. If a Rovers defender did that we'd probably be saying why the hell did you put your arms out in the first place.

Edited by Hasta

19 minutes ago, Hasta said:

It's not just random contact. It's a deliberate attempt to put an arm out to stop Speedie. Had he been running and his arm went across him that's one thing, but Walsh gets nutmegged and because he turned like a carthorse he puts his arm out deliberately with only one purpose. What else is he trying to do other than stop Speedie?

I can see the argument with the fact the Danish players didn't try to hinder or stop Sterling,  and they simply caught him. It wasn't intentional and is harsh. The entire movement of Steve Walsh was to hinder Speedie. If a Rovers defender did that we'd probably be saying why the hell did you put your arms out in the first place.

Wasn't talking about the Speedie one, I was on about the Sterling one.

It's all academic up to a point now, my only point was that if you're happy with Sterling manufacturing and earning a cheap penalty then no-one can legitimately complain if the same happens to us on Sunday in reverse.

I don't like either at all and the game would be far better off without it imo.

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wasn't talking about the Speedie one, I was on about the Sterling one.

OK. You replied to my point about Speedie, hence the confusion.

I was just using the Speedie case to highlight that, in most cases, even if you are fouled you will not get it unless you go down.

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

A sensible decision from Uefa, what may have seemed like a good idea in theory has in reality been a bit of a mess.

Yep. If it had been random with home advantage not being as strong it wasn't a bad idea. Scotland, Wales, Ireland don't have enough stadium to host it on their own, so it's either going to be a joint bid or a situation like we currently have which brings major International football to their countries.

It's  in the group stages when loads of countries got to play at home when it was unfair and unnecessary. And 3 different grounds should have been used for the 2 semi-finals and finals. 

Like it or not diving/simulation/going down with minimal contact is now part of modern football. 

The English honest as the day is long attitude may be morally right (there's also of whiff of colonialism about it but I'll leave that alone) but it won't help England win football matches. 

Kane got about 5 free kicks by falling over when barely touched late on. 

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Yep. If it had been random with home advantage not being as strong it wasn't a bad idea. Scotland, Wales, Ireland don't have enough stadium to host it on their own, so it's either going to be a joint bid or a situation like we currently have which brings major International football to their countries.

It's  in the group stages when loads of countries got to play at home when it was unfair and unnecessary. And 3 different grounds should have been used for the 2 semi-finals and finals. 

I think I'm right in saying that all 4 semifinalists played all their group games at home. Spain in Seville, England at Wembley, Denmark in Copenhagen, Italy in Rome. That was a definite advantage.

The single host country is good for fans and the like but places like Budapest would never be able to see Euro games otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Totally agree and I don't think it was a pure coincidence that all 4 Semi Finalists played all 3 of their group games at home. 

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Totally agree and I don't think it was a pure coincidence that all 4 Semi Finalists played all 3 of their group games at home. 

Didn't Denmark lose two of those three home games ?

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Didn't Denmark lose two of those three home games ?

One of them was in rather exceptional circumstances. But what playing all 3 of them at home means is no travelling, whilst many other teams were travelling big distances and in some circumstances travelling between time zones. Having sides travelling between Baku and Rome, between Copenhagen and St Petersburg, between St Petersburg and Seville and between Amsterdam and Bucharest is bound to put sides at a slight disadvantage as opposed to sides who play all 3 group games in their own country with no travelling required.

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

One of them was in rather exceptional circumstances. But what playing all 3 of them at home means is no travelling, whilst many other teams were travelling big distances and in some circumstances travelling between time zones. Having sides travelling between Baku and Rome, between Copenhagen and St Petersburg, between St Petersburg and Seville and between Amsterdam and Bucharest is bound to put sides at a slight disadvantage as opposed to sides who play all 3 group games in their own country with no travelling required.

Not just in their home country - in their national stadium. Play 3 different stadiums spread across the country might have mitigated the difference a touch...

7 hours ago, callumrovers said:

He didnt cheat. There was contact and he went down. Every player goes down in the box when they get contact. Have you not watched football for the last 10 years?

There was No contact from the first defender which was when Sterling started the dive.

The dive took Sterling into the path of the 2nd defender and caused mild contact.

Yes and I did watch the game. Did you?

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Don't cry if the Italians get one.

There's still some crying about Maradona in 1986. Shilton still can't give an interview without bringing it up, even when Maradona died he was all over the media whining about it.

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

There's still some crying about Maradona in 1986. Shilton still can't give an interview without bringing it up, even when Maradona died he was all over the media whining about it.

Too true, including me.

A 'Kennedy' moment.

I saw that it was a blatant handball live on a clapped out 21'' TV

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Sorry if already answered but why wasn't play stripped when the 2nd ball appeared?

The Law says

If an extra ball, other object or animal enters the field of play during the match, the referee must stop the match only if it interferes with play. Play is restarted with a dropped ball from the position of the match ball when play was stopped etc etc

Edited by renrag

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How does a defender not get close and defend? 

You're making excuses for a dive. By your logic every contact in the box is potentially a penalty, if the player goes down. Simulation is simulation and that is meant to be against the rules. However it's been let go. 

Be interested to hear your take if the Italians win a similar one Sunday. 

It's not his logic. It's the logic of referees the world over. Players have been taking advantage of that for 20+ years.

I agree it's a problem that needs sorting out, but it's not Sterling's fault that the defenders made contact (however minimal).

Going down is needed to get refs to make the decision. It's on the rulemakers and refs to stop requiring players to fling themselves down.

Personally think this is where some rule/definition about 'significant contact' needs to come in.

• Backroom
42 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

There was No contact from the first defender which was when Sterling started the dive.

The dive took Sterling into the path of the 2nd defender and caused mild contact.

Yes and I did watch the game. Did you?

Evidently you didn't and haven't since. The first defender absolutely made contact.

The rest of your post is correct.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Evidently you didn't and haven't since. The first defender absolutely made contact.

The rest of your post is correct.

I fecking did and fecking have have.

Have an eye test, a good optician will do it for free. WUM.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It's not his logic. It's the logic of referees the world over. Players have been taking advantage of that for 20+ years.

I agree it's a problem that needs sorting out, but it's not Sterling's fault that the defenders made contact (however minimal).

Going down is needed to get refs to make the decision. It's on the rulemakers and refs to stop requiring players to fling themselves down.

Personally think this is where some rule/definition about 'significant contact' needs to come in.

Or in some cases, if the player stayed standing , they might actually score. Like in the old days. Sterling had nothing on, so hitting the deck was the ,I suppose, sensible thing to do I don't agree with it, but it's part of the game and if you don't do it, you are at a disadvantage. 

Significant contact is difficult to quantify. The simulation rule is pretty clear. Can the player stay standing or have they actively simulated a foul. More often than not it's the former. I agree there are times when the player has to go down to win the free, usually when a defender has arms around them. Sterling's was far more of a simulation, than not. He's a master at it. As you say it's up to the authorities to sort this out, because if Ireland or Rovers were in a position like Sterling's and the player didn't dive, I would say why didn't he do it? Remember we got screwed by Henry and the hand of frog? That was far more unethical to me than what Sterling did and nobody really said anything about Henry outside of here. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• J*B unpinned this topic