Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Recommended Posts

  • Moderation Lead

Hi Everyone, looks like this keeps going off on a tangent (understandably in some ways), but can we please keep the main discussion to the football?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

Did you have to show your ticket at a 'turnstile'? Or was the incredibly weak barrier system which got overrun the only place the ticket was checked. (Similar to when you attend gigs at a stadium)

When the clips show people running up the steps outside the ground and breaking through the barriers, were they technically in Wembley then?

 

Some staff at the barriers took bribes to let fans in without a ticket! What happens when you pay casuals bugger all and have no knowledge of who they are.

Mind you it was sickening to see David Beckham in his plush seat lean across to chat with with his mate, the well-known England fan and football-mad Tom Cruise!!

No wonder ordinary fans get pissed off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Hi Everyone, looks like this keeps going off on a tangent (understandably in some ways), but can we please keep the main discussion to the football?

Close the topic. The EUROs are history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Some staff at the barriers took bribes to let fans in without a ticket! What happens when you pay casuals bugger all and have no knowledge of who they are.

Mind you it was sickening to see David Beckham in his plush seat lean across to chat with with his mate, the well-known England fan and football-mad Tom Cruise!!

No wonder ordinary fans get pissed off.

I remember being in my local late one Saturday night many years ago when a couple of blokes I didn’t know came in and stood next to me at the bar. It was the Saturday night of the FA Cup Final and they were talking about just getting back from the game in time for a last pint.

I said “ How did you go on getting a ticket ? “ One of the guys said “ It’s easy, I get one every year. In fact I’ve got my ticket for next years final on me now “.

I replied “ You can’t have, they haven’t been printed yet “. 

He said “ This one has “ , and he pulled a £20 note out. He said “ I go up to a turnstile, put this down, and they let me in, easy “.

 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Some staff at the barriers took bribes to let fans in without a ticket! What happens when you pay casuals bugger all and have no knowledge of who they are.

But is 'the barrier' access to The Ground?

Or was the barrier set up to keep ticketless fans away from the stadium, but then when you got to the stadium you had to go through a more conventional turnstile.

You go and see a gig at, for example, Etihad and you scan your ticket at the barrier, then once you approach the ground you just walk straight in through the open exits. The actual ticket point is away from the ground. (It was the same at Ewood for the Elton John concert). However you would expect at a football game, like at Ewood or any other ground, you then show your ticket again at a proper turnstile to gain access.

I'm just wondering what the setup at Wembley was like for anyone that attended either game?

Edited by Hasta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember being in my local late one Saturday night many years ago when a couple of blokes I didn’t know came in and stood next to me at the bar. It was the Saturday night of the FA Cup Final and they were talking about just getting back from the game in time for a last pint.

I said “ How did you go on getting a ticket ? “ One of the guys said “ It’s easy, I get one every year. In fact I’ve got my ticket for next years final on me now “.

I replied “ You can’t have, they haven’t been printed yet “. 

He said “ This one has “ , and he pulled a £20 note out. He said “ I go up to a turnstile, put this down, and they let me in, easy “.

 

I was at Wembley for the European Cup final between Liverpool and FC Bruges back in 1978. The scousers were cutting up note-sized pieces of newspaper and wrapping a fiver round the outside with an elastic band to make it look like a wad of notes and handing them to the turnstile guy (it was terracing in that section then so no fighting over seats once inside). I heard one of them say, once safely inside "I hope he reads the Echo" 

The point being, this has gone on since time immemorial. I always did wonder whether that might have contributed to the overcrowding at Hillsborough as well, but I never heard anything like that being reported.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.