BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

13 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I was amazed he only made 2 substitutions.  We have all that quality on the bench. We should be utilising it

Why? you make substitutions when things aren't going right. Or for injury. 

Edited by rigger

17 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I was amazed he only made 2 substitutions.  We have all that quality on the bench. We should be utilising it

He made 3.

This Austria V North Macedonia game has been a really good watch. Bit less formulaic and seemingly more forward passes here. Some old fashioned wing play and both Austria goals were excellent.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well if you watched it Jim then you would know the answer to your question. 

Grealish isnt the best player in our team. If that's good why is he still at Villa instead of top 6 team? 

And this shows you know very little about football. Grealish is superb. And in the ascendancy to being one of the top players in the world. Sterling did play well though which is a positive. The more players in form the better.

1 minute ago, ben_the_beast said:

And this shows you know very little about football. Grealish is superb. And in the ascendancy to being one of the top players in the world. Sterling did play well though which is a positive. The more players in form the better.

I find Sterling very frustrating. I don't think he played well TBH. He gets in good positions and then wastes them. He also seems sloppy in possession. Good run for the goal, but a little bit lucky with the finish.

I found it weird that the pundits then said he played well, because I don't think he did. Maybe I'm missing something.

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s a bit like with Bradley Dack, if you’re going to play a sort of 4-3-3 system it’s hard to fit him in.

True but the players we have to switch to a 4231 is very straightforward. Just drop Phillips deeper alongside Rice. Would mean taking Mount off at 10 though.

Edited by joey_big_nose

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tyrone, It was the first game and we won it. Thats all that matters in tournament football. Look at Greece and Portugal who both won the Euros in the past 20 years and both teams play defensive football and people didn't complain about their style

We had chances for second but Croatia created nothing of noted. Good all round performance. 

People had doubts over Mings and Phillips before the game and Euros, and they answered those doubts

for me I think Mount is better all round player for me and someone I would be playing in the number 10 role before Grealish

Mount is a very good player. He faded rather quickly today after a good opening 15 minutes.

Grealish bring something extra that frightens those he's running at, he'll either go past them or be 'fouled'.

He's a more creative player. In fact he's a brilliant footballer who is one of the very few England players that I would go out of my way to pay to watch.

Different topic but Walker? bloody hell.

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s a bit like with Bradley Dack, if you’re going to play a sort of 4-3-3 system it’s hard to fit him in.

In a 433 Grealish plays on the left much like Foden did on the right today. Grealish can play just as well coming in from the left as he can as a 10. Infact he plays coming from the left on a far more regular  basis for villa

1 minute ago, DanLad said:

I find Sterling very frustrating. I don't think he played well TBH. He gets in good positions and then wastes them. He also seems sloppy in possession. Good run for the goal, but a little bit lucky with the finish.

I found it weird that the pundits then said he played well, because I don't think he did. Maybe I'm missing something.

Id agree with this. Got in a lot of really good positions but struggled to make much out of them.

A bit unfair to dig Sterling out though as he got a goal and made good runs. The anonymous one was Kane....

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mount is a very good player. He faded rather quickly today after a good opening 15 minutes.

Grealish bring something extra that frightens those he's running at, he'll either go past them or be 'fouled'.

He's a more creative player. In fact he's a brilliant footballer who is one of the very few England players that I would go out of my way to pay to watch.

Walker did a very sound job defensively.  Going forward he was awful. Second half he improved alot though 

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Id agree with this. Got in a lot of really good positions but struggled to make much out of them.

A bit unfair to dig Sterling out though as he got a goal and made good runs. The anonymous one was Kane....

I'm not digging Sterling out. I just think he's getting more praise than he deserved.

I also find Kane frustrating. I think he's being given a bit of a roaming role to try to draw defenders out of their comfort zone, but I'm not sure it's the best use of his abilities. I like to see someone operating as a target man, making runs into space and to create space, and an option as an outlet ball, all is which I think Kane is good at. Also Kane is the best finisher in the team and I want him on the end of chances.

7 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Agree with all of this. Mount is brilliant. But an all rounder who makes the team tick. Commands a place in the team. But some trying to compare him and Grealish is silly (Not you). They are totally different players.

Grealish utterly terrifies defences. Just gets the ball and drives and attacks, attacks, attacks. 

And yes. Walker was very poor going forwards. I'd definitely have Tripper on the right and Walker on the bench. 

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Walker did a very sound job defensively.  Going forward he was awful. Second half he improved alot though 

His basic defending did improve as the game progressed. His passing in the first half was very poor and caused a situation or 2.

We do have a good squad but I'm still concerned about our CBs against the best and we need to make/take our chances, like the one Sterling ballooned.

I've watched every game so far and hope to see it all the way through. Enjoying football again!

Just now, ben_the_beast said:

Agree with all of this. Mount is brilliant. But an all rounder who makes the team tick. Commands a place in the team. But some trying to compare him and Grealish is silly (Not you). They are totally different players.

Grealish utterly terrifies defences. Just gets the ball and drives and attacks, attacks, attacks. 

And yes. Walker was very poor going forwards. I'd definitely have Tripper on the right and Walker on the bench. 

Walkers recovery pace is sensational though. It's a big loss to the back line if he's out. As we are brittle at the back Id keep him in.

He's kept his place in an excellent Man City team because he is a good player despite his offensive short comings.

57 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m making allowances for it being the first game and also it being really hot. It’s not much fun running around in 25C plus heat. I’d love us to win it but I’m being realistic. There are better teams out there.
We really need to improve our ability to kill games off. Once we’d scored, apart from Mount’s free kick and the one Kane nearly scored from, we didn’t have too much to offer going forward. 
I’m not convinced with Sterling, there’s not enough end product for me.

Sterling has plenty of end product. It was good movement and finish from him. He is good form for England 

55 minutes ago, Silas said:

I'd have been bringing him on today instead of Rashford for starters. 

We want to play on the counter so Rashford's pace made sense 

44 minutes ago, roverandout said:

We made 3 substitutions today. Sterling, Foden and Kane went off. Rashford, Bellingham and Calvert-Lewin came on

19 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I know plenty about football thanks Ben. Grealish is a good player but he isnt one of the top players in the world tho. Really? 

12 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mount knows when to press the ball and when to sit enough and stay in positive. Thought Mount's movement was good today. Kocevic knew he need to close him down quickly. 

Grealish is someone I would bring off the bench most games at the minute. But its tournament football so he might play more as we progress. 

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I was impressed with Bellingham when he came on. 17 years old what a talent 

Yer I didn't really know much about him but he's had a great season for Dortmund by all accounts. Bit of a unit for a 17 year old too.

Didn't play for too long today but looked good.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Grealish is someone I would bring off the bench most games at the minute. But its tournament football so he might play more as we progress. 

You mean I just say what Gareth does is right,  but if he changes it and Grealish has a worldie then you said he would anyway....🥱

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I know plenty about football thanks Ben. Grealish is a good player but he isnt one of the top players in the world tho. Really? 

I'll pull you up on this in the future once you've been proven wrong

Gary Neville's comments on England, today's game and Southgate as manager are spot on and correct. Speaks alot of sense again. 

Southgate knows his players better than anyone and he has alot of experience of tournament football whether it's as a player, under 21's and England manager now. Plus willing to make decisions whether popular or not. 

• Backroom

Kane certainly wasn't anonymous to Croatia! Virtually every pass from a full back to Sterling 'running behind' was facilitated by their defenders doubling on Kane.

I feel like some fans forget about off-the-ball football.

Southgate took a bit of a head scratching gamble and today it paid off. Ultimately he’ll be judged on results like every manager (well except Mowbray) but I still think he’s got 3 games left Scotland, Czech Republic and then the defeat to one of France, Germany or Portugal in the last 16. 

• J*B unpinned this topic