BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The half time analists saying the Scottish player should have been out quicker to stop the cross for the goal. He lost a yard by slowing down to put his arms behind his back.

50 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Sad state of affairs when Grant Hanley is your best option to start at CB in a major international tournament...

And right on cue he got beaten to a header for the goal.

He had a good season for Norwich last season though to be fair. 

Seems a ludicrous decision now by the owners not to sanction a 3 year deal for him two years ago when he was then not yet 28 and we end up giving the older and more injury prone Ayala a longer deal.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not the greatest game. Scotland giving it a good go but the lack of real top class players is showing. On paper we should be two goals better than either of these teams. Hanley looking quicker than I remember him being.

I think Scotland have played well overall but it's hard to see them scoring, they have a real lack of quality in the opposition box.

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Scotland are such an outdated team. They play the way they did in the 90s. No technical quality. Just lots of huff and puff. U can't do well on effort alone 

Are they significantly any worse than you'd expect from any other Country with a population of just 4m?

Edited by RevidgeBlue

21 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Scotland are such an outdated team. They play the way they did in the 90s. No technical quality. Just lots of huff and puff. U can't do well on effort alone 

I think they play to their strengths and have overachieved by qualifying.

Trying to emulate teams who are brimming with technical quality when you don’t have the skills to match it gets you 15th in the Championship.

51 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think Scotland have played well overall but it's hard to see them scoring, they have a real lack of quality in the opposition box.

Agreed, their entire squad has only 35 international goals, including 5 goals across all the forwards. Really poor. Created a lot of opportunities but never looked clinical.

Looks to me like Scotland are already out which is a shame.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

So Scotland now need at least a point from Friday to have a decent chance of going through.

As much as we're much better on paper, I am properly dreading this game. 

Based on what I've seen today England should absolutely maul them. They don't even look a threat at set plays.

Famous last words...

52 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Are they significantly any worse than you'd expect from any other Country with a population of just 4m?

Scotland look at Wales, Croatia, Iceland, even Ireland and NI 5-10 years ago. All of them similar or smaller than Scotland. All of them had good spells.

Scotland on the law of averages should have been better than they have been in the last 20 odd years. They've been uncommonly poor. Especially strange considering how great the squad was in the 70s and 80s (though still never got out of a group).

In Europe no other footballing nation has been as consistently poor.

It was amusing to see the Sweaties wait 23 years for that.

I expected better from Scotland because they have a few good players, i.e. McTominay, McGinn, and Robertson. Tie that in with home advantage, and a Czech Republic side that is probably their weakest in my lifetime, and I thought Scotland would come away with something. Scotland were unlucky with a couple of deflections and the woodwork, but they were otherwise dreadful. The occasion definitely got the better of them. The so-called Scottish spirit and determination was nowhere to be seen at any point in the match. Just some delirium from their supporters in the build-up.

Czech Republic didn't even break sweat. Top of the group. Good day for them. They'll be a decent test for England and Croatia.

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Based on what I've seen today England should absolutely maul them. They don't even look a threat at set plays.

Famous last words...

Score early, then it could get ugly. As long as it stays 0-0, or they take the lead, then they'll fight like lions. 

Scotland might only have the quality to win this game once out of every ten, maybe even fifteen attempts, but strange things can happen in games like this. 

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Scotland looked a lot better with two strikers up front when Evans came on. I wonder if they’ll start with two strikers this time.

I would say its their only chance TS. They may as well try and score some because I'm fairly sure England will score at least 2 against that defence.

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

And right on cue he got beaten to a header for the goal.

He had a good season for Norwich last season though to be fair. 

Seems a ludicrous decision now by the owners not to sanction a 3 year deal for him two years ago when he was then not yet 28 and we end up giving the older and more injury prone Ayala a longer deal.

He was sold to Newcastle 5 years ago, not 2, so Ayala has nothing to do with it.

That female commentator on itv is hopeless. Skriniar, a centreback scores then her comment 'that's why he's one of the best in his position ' . Hes a defender, does she think he's a striker 

• J*B unpinned this topic