Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, frosty said:

Agreed, loved the 16 team Euros, the standard was always very high from start to finish (though I'd say the standard of international football in general was higher back when I'm thinking off - Euro 2000, 2004 etc).

Euro 2016 on the other hand I thought wasn't great (not just because of England stinking it out). Portugal played to their strengths to win it so fair play to them but they came 3rd in the group without winning a game and still got through. 

Still really looking forward to this tournament though of course.

100%. I think the way that 4 of the 6 3rd places goes through not only dampens much of the competitiveness but it also encourages defensive football with 2/3's of the teams qualifying for the next round. I remember both Irelands being perfect examples of that in the last tournament, and thats not me being a snob against styles but the goals per game was considerably lower in 2016 if I recall. It also gives an unfair advantage to the last groups to play knowing exactly as 3rd placed teams what to do to qualify.

The World Cup will always be the pinnacle but the Euros did tend to be at a higher standard. You look at Group F in this tournament, a proper group of death whereby within the old format, it would have been a really fascinating group. As it is, all 3 giants will almost certainly qualify easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Pickford isn't terrible hes a good solid keeper 

i don`t rate him,henderson is ok,just short of game time and johnston has had a decent season despite being behind a bad defence,out of the three pickford is definately the weakest,you always sense a mistake is about to happen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Pickford isn’t the best overall, but, to be fair to the lad, he never messes up for England....

He concerns me, it seems he always has to be involved and for a goalie that worries me.  He seems too emotional.   Hope he proves me wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i don`t rate him,henderson is ok,just short of game time and johnston has had a decent season despite being behind a bad defence,out of the three pickford is definately the weakest,you always sense a mistake is about to happen

Hes never cost England a goal plus his form for Everton has been good the last few months.  Henderson need to leave united to play regardless.  Pope is probably the best shot stopper. Johnstone has a high percentage save rate 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

He concerns me, it seems he always has to be involved and for a goalie that worries me.  He seems too emotional.   Hope he proves me wrong.

His only problem is concentration 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderation Lead
25 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He concerns me, it seems he always has to be involved and for a goalie that worries me.  He seems too emotional.   Hope he proves me wrong.

He hasn’t messed up for England though as far as I can tell. So with that in mind, it’s one decision if Southgate’s I can agree with....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, roverandout said:

Pickford isn't terrible hes a good solid keeper 

I dont think hes either of those. Hes just pretty average. Makes some decent saves but gets caught out too often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/06/2021 at 16:51, Dreams of 1995 said:

Winner: England

Surprise package: England

England: Winners 

Got to love your optimism! I hope you're right, anyway, not least because I've got them in a sweepstake!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Germany have won 5 of their last 12 games. Whenever they come up against average or good opposition, they don't seem to be up to the challenge.

Germany are 11/1 to finish bottom of their group according to Sky Bet. They face France, Portugal, and Hungary. They might struggle to get out of their group if they continue to form.

Edited by Meesh
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Meesh said:

Germany have won 5 of their last 12 games. Whenever they come up against average or good opposition, they don't seem to be up to the challenge.

Germany are 11/1 to finish bottom of their group according to Sky Bet. They face France, Portugal, and Hungary. They might struggle to get out of their group if they continue to form.

Come a competion, come Germany

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, rigger said:

Come a competion, come Germany

They finished bottom of their group in 2018 after having won it in 2014. Still, three years on, and I think they are just an average European team.

I think France got knocked out in the group stage in 2002 after winning both the previous World Cup and the Euros. But they still had a plethora of quality players. I don't think there's a huge amount of that going on in the German squad at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Meesh said:

They finished bottom of their group in 2018 after having won it in 2014. Still, three years on, and I think they are just an average European team.

I think France got knocked out in the group stage in 2002 after winning both the previous World Cup and the Euros. But they still had a plethora of quality players. I don't think there's a huge amount of that going on in the German squad at the moment.

OK Germany are just an average European team. But they know how to progress in a knock-out competition.

Edited by rigger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only just more than 6 months since Germany got pumped 6-0 by a decent but not amazing Spanish team. Nations league game too, so not a friendly.

 

Looking again at the squads, Germany included Gnabry, Sane, Kroos, Gundogan, Werner, Neuer. Admittedly the defence didn't have too many big names, but maybe that's just where they're at now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, rigger said:

OK Germany are just an average European team. But they know how to progress in a knock-out competition.

They didn't last time around.

Not to say it wouldn't surprise me if they progressed this time around. I just think there's a greater chance of them not doing so with France and Portugal with a better set of players (in my view), and perhaps Hungary looking for a scalp.

If we meet Germany in the Round of 16, I wouldn't surprised if they knocked us out, but they've got a very tricky group lying ahead for starters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Portugal dont look that impressive.  Watched them yesterday.  They had 35 percent possession.  They gave the ball away countless times.  Their midfield doesn't look that great.  Alot of ball winning players but not much creativity.  Bruno fernandes and ronaldo will be vital to them. Their defence is ageing too. Dias is obviously world class but two 38 year old defenders.  I would fancy our chances against them or Germany.  Not France 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Portugal dont look that impressive.  Watched them yesterday.  They had 35 percent possession.  They gave the ball away countless times.  Their midfield doesn't look that great.  Alot of ball winning players but not much creativity.  Bruno fernandes and ronaldo will be vital to them. Their defence is ageing too. Dias is obviously world class but two 38 year old defenders.  I would fancy our chances against them or Germany.  Not France 

Portugal have players that can hurt when it matters, and they're certainly not devoid of quality in midfield.

Bruno Fernandes, and particularly Bernardo Silva are both world class. In front of them, a 36-year old Cronaldo would still get in virtually any starting XI at international level.

Beyond that, Moutinho is a good string-puller, and Ruben Neves isn't a bad shout at all. If any of those that I've just mentioned were English, they'd be absolutely nailed on to be in our squad, and most of them would start.

Their defence leaves something to be desired. Pepe is a leader, but he's 38, and it's hard to see much world class quality around him.

It's hard to look beyond France as the group winners. I think it'll come down to how Portugal and Germany slug it out, and if Hungary can cause an upset to one (or both!) of them. It's certainly the group to watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Meesh said:

Portugal have players that can hurt when it matters, and they're certainly not devoid of quality in midfield.

Bruno Fernandes, and particularly Bernardo Silva are both world class. In front of them, a 36-year old Cronaldo would still get in virtually any starting XI at international level.

Beyond that, Moutinho is a good string-puller, and Ruben Neves isn't a bad shout at all. If any of those that I've just mentioned were English, they'd be absolutely nailed on to be in our squad, and most of them would start.

Their defence leaves something to be desired. Pepe is a leader, but he's 38, and it's hard to see much world class quality around him.

It's hard to look beyond France as the group winners. I think it'll come down to how Portugal and Germany slug it out, and if Hungary can cause an upset to one (or both!) of them. It's certainly the group to watch.

Yes, do they still have William Carvalho I always liked him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meesh said:

Portugal have players that can hurt when it matters, and they're certainly not devoid of quality in midfield.

Bruno Fernandes, and particularly Bernardo Silva are both world class. In front of them, a 36-year old Cronaldo would still get in virtually any starting XI at international level.

Beyond that, Moutinho is a good string-puller, and Ruben Neves isn't a bad shout at all. If any of those that I've just mentioned were English, they'd be absolutely nailed on to be in our squad, and most of them would start.

Their defence leaves something to be desired. Pepe is a leader, but he's 38, and it's hard to see much world class quality around him.

It's hard to look beyond France as the group winners. I think it'll come down to how Portugal and Germany slug it out, and if Hungary can cause an upset to one (or both!) of them. It's certainly the group to watch.

I discounted fernandes and silva because they're not central midfielders.  Carvalho danilo sanches are ball winners. Neves has been poor for wolves this season.  I said ronaldo and fernandes are key for them.  Moutinho is about 2 years passed his best and was never a top player.  Theyre all much of a muchness in midfield. Would their less talented midfielders get in the England side? I'm not sure. Kalvin Phillips is more influential than moutinho. Danilo carvalho are certainly no better than rice at protecting the back 4. They have some excellent attacking players but not a massive amount of quality elsewhere 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • J*B unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.