Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If this is how football has “evolved” and this is the game now as we are often told, I give up. I’d much rather watch poor quality uploaded vhs footage of games on YouTube of when you could actua

Why do we always have to focus or find negatives about the quality of the team or some mad reason why we managed to win. We played well, we deservedly won , that’s it. We where the better team and won

A tiny minority of dickheads in a football mad nation… no WC for you. Corrput micro state with myriad human rights abuses and employing slave labour… fill your boots and we’ll even move the whole

Posted Images

On 03/06/2021 at 16:21, roverandout said:

Pickford isn't terrible hes a good solid keeper 

I'd have Pope over him, that's how low I rate Pickford.  Another English keeper who is capable of calamatous mistakes.  Not near steady enough for me and I would disagree with solid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderation Lead
14 hours ago, roverandout said:

I discounted fernandes and silva because they're not central midfielders.  Carvalho danilo sanches are ball winners. Neves has been poor for wolves this season.  I said ronaldo and fernandes are key for them.  Moutinho is about 2 years passed his best and was never a top player.  Theyre all much of a muchness in midfield. Would their less talented midfielders get in the England side? I'm not sure. Kalvin Phillips is more influential than moutinho. Danilo carvalho are certainly no better than rice at protecting the back 4. They have some excellent attacking players but not a massive amount of quality elsewhere 

You can’t honestly believe that is, or ever has been true, surely?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Last game before the tournament starts and none of the players from citeh or Chelsea involved. 

So, going into major tournament with no idea of what the best team is....as usual.

Frustrating isn’t it. That along with pinning hopes on injured players it’s an England tournament standard. 

Edited by matt83
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Last game before the tournament starts and none of the players from citeh or Chelsea involved. 

So, going into major tournament with no idea of what the best team is....as usual.

Southgate appears to be auditioning for the role of Tony Mowbray in his forthcoming biopic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

It is a really odd decision that. It's been a week since they played, what's the issue? 

Southgate !

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

It is a really odd decision that. It's been a week since they played, what's the issue? 

This is the issue. Two cheeks of the same arse.

 

E78D33CE-AF7C-4372-B0A1-246C3163E5BA.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Just logged on here to see if anyone else thought England were mirror image of rovers.  Slow, boring and vulnerable at the back.  

Glad it's not just me 😂

 

My son just sent me a text - “ Roveresque “.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

You can send the money now if you want....😔

That reminds me of the front cover of “ Private Eye “ a couple of tournaments ago.

The England team are coming down the staircase off the plane. The pilot has the cockpit window open and he’s saying - “ Shall I leave the engines running lads ? “

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That reminds me of the front cover of “ Private Eye “ a couple of tournaments ago.

The England team are coming down the staircase off the plane. The pilot has the cockpit window open and he’s saying - “ Shall I leave the engines running lads ? “

 

519D9D35-931A-4A2A-B445-81DAD68D6955.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow as usual the negativity.  There were some good performances yesterday.  Grealish was superb. Rashford stretched their defence.  White looked composed and assured. Bellingham made a good cameo.  We have 8 or 9 players to come back into that team. It was a warmup exercise.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna keep my positive England fan hat on. Next Sunday we're going to have a load of top players come back into the side who are well rested and rarring to go and a couple of players did themselves no harm in the friendlies. 

And on the plus side no one has any idea of the starting line up or formation so it'll be interesting to see how Croatia prepare. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see no reason why England shouldn't in the last 4 of this Euro with the players we got in the squad and looking at other teams. 

I am looking very forward to the Euros and watching them. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Wow as usual the negativity.  There were some good performances yesterday.  Grealish was superb. Rashford stretched their defence.  White looked composed and assured. Bellingham made a good cameo.  We have 8 or 9 players to come back into that team. It was a warmup exercise.  

It's the normal reaction to what was the second of 2 really underwhelming performances against poor opposition within a few days, there was not much to get excited about.

Ultimately, the key is that it is a warm up exercise (friendlies pre tournament tend to be boring) as you point out and due to unavailability, a pretty pointless one with both teams containing a mixture of fringe players and even those not in the 26 man squad.

For me, the main issues surround what I expect will be the main team going into the tournament. That is why I think despite his penalty miss, the 45 minutes given to Henderson (penalty miss aside!) was probably the biggest takeaway, I think he is underrated and key to us. There seems to be a lot of optimism around the highly valued Declan Rice who I think is decent but he is not on Henderson's level, especially on the ball, Henderson is much tighter with the ball and a much better and crisper passer of the ball in an area where I do fear for us in terms of our ability to keep the ball v better opponents. Bellingham is a talent but even v poor opposition he was leaving holes in front of our defence.

The main negative for me was again Mings, his concentration is really poor and even within a minute he had messed up. White was ok (lets be honest, in neither game this week was the remit against piss poor attacks anything other than keeping switched on) but he is obviously well down the pecking order hence his late call up. The fact that Maguire is out could really cost us. 3 at the back also is a double whammy in that to protect a poor defender we lose an attacker.

The attacking midfield area is a real conundrum really, all of the players that warrant a place (Foden, Mount and Grealish) are all the same type, ones that come towards the ball as Kane likes to do. Sancho wasted his chance and Rashford and Sterling both are undeserving of a starting spot. If we do go to 3 at the back, we are also potentially sacrificing another attacking player.

The performances of some of the fringe players whilst important to an extent are not as immediately worrying as for example Mings and his lack of ability.

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I see no reason why England shouldn't in the last 4 of this Euro with the players we got in the squad and looking at other teams. 

I am looking very forward to the Euros and watching them. 

 

You say last 4, do you think that, assuming that we top a poor group which I would expect us to do, that a Gareth Southgate led England with Mings at CB would overcome France/Portugal/Germany then possibly Spain?

I think our squad is miles better than even 2018 and there is plenty to build around but I think that the draw is against us this year when it was perfect last time. We have some real talent but v France or Portugal we would not be favourites.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't disagree with any of that roversfan. Henderson I think is so underated, I know he's not had minutes but he has trained a lot and he's got the mentality to not need a few games to get his brain up to speed I don't think it's a massive risk starting him but even if we didn't start him he's a grant option to bring on for the last 30mins together a but of composure. 

Id have coady instead of mings but not sure that's what Southgate is thinking. 

I couldn't call who out of Mount foden and grealish will start. I think he'll go with Mount and then one of Foden and Grealish, either of those off the bench is a hell of an option to have but I think Mount is a more well rounded player. 

 

The options up top are so strong. Kane is a given but then you've got a pick of Mount, foden, Grealish, sancho, sterling, rashford. There's a balance to be struck between those who like to come deep for the ball and those who like to run in behind. I'd probably choose rashford for that role with sterling as an option off the bench (could easily win a penalty against tired legs) sancho wasn't doing enough running behind for me last night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I see no reason why England shouldn't in the last 4 of this Euro with the players we got in the squad and looking at other teams. 

I am looking very forward to the Euros and watching them. 

 

The manager will hold us back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It's the normal reaction to what was the second of 2 really underwhelming performances against poor opposition within a few days, there was not much to get excited about.

Ultimately, the key is that it is a warm up exercise (friendlies pre tournament tend to be boring) as you point out and due to unavailability, a pretty pointless one with both teams containing a mixture of fringe players and even those not in the 26 man squad.

For me, the main issues surround what I expect will be the main team going into the tournament. That is why I think despite his penalty miss, the 45 minutes given to Henderson (penalty miss aside!) was probably the biggest takeaway, I think he is underrated and key to us. There seems to be a lot of optimism around the highly valued Declan Rice who I think is decent but he is not on Henderson's level, especially on the ball, Henderson is much tighter with the ball and a much better and crisper passer of the ball in an area where I do fear for us in terms of our ability to keep the ball v better opponents. Bellingham is a talent but even v poor opposition he was leaving holes in front of our defence.

The main negative for me was again Mings, his concentration is really poor and even within a minute he had messed up. White was ok (lets be honest, in neither game this week was the remit against piss poor attacks anything other than keeping switched on) but he is obviously well down the pecking order hence his late call up. The fact that Maguire is out could really cost us. 3 at the back also is a double whammy in that to protect a poor defender we lose an attacker.

The attacking midfield area is a real conundrum really, all of the players that warrant a place (Foden, Mount and Grealish) are all the same type, ones that come towards the ball as Kane likes to do. Sancho wasted his chance and Rashford and Sterling both are undeserving of a starting spot. If we do go to 3 at the back, we are also potentially sacrificing another attacking player.

The performances of some of the fringe players whilst important to an extent are not as immediately worrying as for example Mings and his lack of ability.

You say last 4, do you think that, assuming that we top a poor group which I would expect us to do, that a Gareth Southgate led England with Mings at CB would overcome France/Portugal/Germany then possibly Spain?

I think our squad is miles better than even 2018 and there is plenty to build around but I think that the draw is against us this year when it was perfect last time. We have some real talent but v France or Portugal we would not be favourites.

Agree completely but I'm sure the players were playing within themselves.  The only ones going all out were jwp and white. And they're fighting for that last spot. I would hate a 6-0 England win at the cost of an injury to a sancho grealish rashford etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Agree completely but I'm sure the players were playing within themselves.  The only ones going all out were jwp and white. And they're fighting for that last spot. I would hate a 6-0 England win at the cost of an injury to a sancho grealish rashford etc

Of course, with so many absentees, the game was almost meaningless. Ward Prowse and Godfrey wont be at the tournament and based on the fact that he has just got in through the back door at the last minute, i would be amazed if White plays a minute, neither will Johnstone. 

The main thing to take from the game was the return of Henderson, still a massive question mark over his fitness but he is an important player for England, at the end of the day he is captain of a Liverpool side with recent domestic and European honours.

The thing I would say is that with the way that a few players have suddenly pushed themselves into major players hence the reason for our sudden reason for optimism, the likes of Foden, Mount, James, Grealish etc all nowhere near the world cup squad yet big players for us now. We still dont know what team we will be going into the Euros with less than a week to go and even if we can somewhat guess, its not a team that has really played together and that could be a major concern. Southgate to be fair has somewhat had his hands tied behind his back because these players have only recently established themselves at the level that they are at, and even in the warm ups this week, their European involvement off the back of a hectic season has disrupted us and further prevented us from starting to piece together close to our best 11. The World Cup next year may be a better bet?

Its also a major worry to look at how weak we are at CB with Maguire out, Mings looks like a sinkhole at the back and we may well play a totally different formation simply because Southgate has no faith in him and wants to protect him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • J*B unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.